As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Failure to Start/Nothing Loads Proper on Startup

The Cow KingThe Cow King a islandRegistered User regular
So here is my problem. Since I built this computers I had troubles. It was a Tigerdirect Barebones kit. Key word was. Thats a story for another day although. I had to buy a new PSU and Mobo. And ever since I first started it up it worked perfectly for about a week yeah! However after then it started to just black screen after the windows XP splash. This wasn't much of a problem, a simply restart would fix it. Sometimes it would require a what ever the hold the power button until it shuts off. This has been required a lot its like playing the lottery. (I realize that this is a terrible Idea but I just wanted on my god damn computer and leaving it on wasn't a option.)

Now however, in addition to that randomly my GPU will crash and reset. Even if it's been idle at desktop, I don't believe the heat ever reaches a shut down state, so I have no idea what could be causing it. It just happens.

This started today upon start up I get about 3 error messages. These are all the programs I have allowed to run on startup. The odd thing is that I can't even run the programs if they fail to startup. Now two of them are stupid itunes crap I forgot to disallow but still. I can't run MSN or AVG well I have no idea.

I apologize in advance if I forgot anything. If you need I can try and be more clear. I personally believe it's the hard drive because the mobo and psu I got with my barebones kit weren't compatible with each other and the Mobo had 3 dead ram slots (Looooove you tigerdirect) so I am just assuming that it's also a piece of shit. The Video card is just being weird. I ran a Chkdsk and it said it fixed a error but I still have the errors on start up. Any help is appreciated.

icGJy2C.png
The Cow King on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hard disk is a likely candidate for replacement.

GPU could crash from bad drivers

Self-thought: How does a barebones kit come with a motherboard that is incompatible with the power supply (assuming barebones kits include both)?

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    Hard disk is a likely candidate for replacement.

GPU could crash from bad drivers

Self-thought: How does a barebones kit come with a motherboard that is incompatible with the power supply (assuming barebones kits include both)?

It did and it was Tigerdirect's fault. The Mobo also had 3 dead ram slots. And they lost my Heatsink.

I'll look into some Hard Disks.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    With such a lot of strange behaviour, I'd try to isolate the problem a bit more before buying more stuff. Try booting into safe mode, Try booting a liveCD or flash drive linux, Run the memtest livecd, take out any non essential peripherals, swap out ram sticks if you have more than one etc.

If the problem goes away for any of these you have found the culprit, and if it doesn't you will have to begin the guessing game of working out which of the key components (cpu/ram/gpu/psu/mobo) is bad.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    With such a lot of strange behaviour, I'd try to isolate the problem a bit more before buying more stuff. Try booting into safe mode, Try booting a liveCD or flash drive linux, Run the memtest livecd, take out any non essential peripherals, swap out ram sticks if you have more than one etc.

If the problem goes away for any of these you have found the culprit, and if it doesn't you will have to begin the guessing game of working out which of the key components (cpu/ram/gpu/psu/mobo) is bad.

Lucky for me it was the hard drive. Just installing stuff now, no problems what so ever none of the bullshit the old one did.

Thanks for the assistance.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
This discussion has been closed.