As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Piggy Influenza (Summary in OP)

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KevinNash wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Duki wrote: »
    Apparently there have been over 1000 confirmed cases in a single day? Or something?

With a 10% mortality rate?

Or is this heresy?

"Hearsay."

I daresay heresy has a mortality rate.
    Might be higher than 10% though.

amy349.jpg
    The thing I don't understand about the flu scares is: what am I supposed to do? Like, I'll try to avoid licking my hands after sticking them in urinals I guess, but at what point can I do anything productive in response to the warning "There may be a flu pandemic!". I got my shot, stop yelling.

You're supposed to panic, and then willingly give away your rights, freedoms and more of your tax dollars to the government. This is only after the media has sufficiently contributed to the hysteria in an effort to generate as much revenue as possible.

Marketing is also important. This is the nefarious SWINE FLU. Not to be confused with cute little piggy flu.

Oh you're absolutely going to hate your life when a plausibly contagious outbreak hits a US city. Because while many people - liberals, even - will protest excessive government power on civil rights or taxes, polling shows that most people support whatever recommendations public health officials dole out. Even if it's quarantine, i.e., locking people in their homes at the command of a doctor.

Because even in completely a-liberal places like Singapore or the PRC, experience has demonstrated that even with 24 hour video monitoring and electronic tagging, someone's going to break quarantine and see nothing wrong about doing so, thereby adding a few hundred more people to the quarantine list.

AFAIK there aren't any libertarian approaches to disease control beyond denying that sufficiently deadly and contagious diseases exist... care to suggest any?

If there is some disastrous outbreak that threatens humanity as we know it then measures should be taken, and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

This particular issue? It doesn't appear to anywhere near that. Certainly the media finds a story like this fascinating and yes the CDC is taking a close look. But an Ebola outbreak this is not.

So yes when we discuss a hypothetical pandemic disaster I honestly don't have a realistic solution that doesn't shred the constitution or result in the deaths of millions. That said we haven't really seen one that actually fits that description in a civilized country since the advent on modern medicine. What we have seen are the typical pandemic scares every 2-3 years or so, or perhaps an anthrax threat that the media likes to bandy about as potentially devastating. However it never seems to result in the destruction that they claim. Old people do get sick and those of poor constitution may die, but the typical flu can do that too. We've yet to see the black plague return and short of Dr. Evil behind some kind of drugs in the water supply type of scheme I doubt we ever will.

**Fear Mongering Warning**

Its only a matter of time. A statement you have likely heard in the media during one of these pandemic panics that don't turn into anything. The oft-cited example is the flu of 1918, killed 40 million people. Another one in the late 50's killed a few million, including tens of thousands in the US. Of course, regular flu kills thousands of people a year anyway, so whats the big deal?

SARS taught the world a bit of a lesson. Namely that a seemingly new bug could materialize out of thin air and be all over the world in a matter of days. It also showed that many health care systems were not well equipped to deal with this kind of problem. A few thousand people sick floods the hospitals. If doctors and nurses get it on top of that, then the health care system largely shuts down.

A new bug will cause panic, because people don't know how to deal with it. But the oldies are the goldies. Fear surrounding avian influenza was (is) well founded. It has a very high mortality rate in humans; if it were able to spread from human to human in todays world of instant travel, you could get very, very bad problems. Assuming nothing on the scale of the Black Death will occur again is foolishness. Modern medicine is sweet and all, but viruses have been adapting constantly for millions of years. Its only a matter of time before a particularly nasty one shows up; then its only a question of stopping it before it spreads out of control.

Which is why everyone gets all worked up over something like this. And its way too early to say what this will turn out to be.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    I have a feeling this particular instance is more likely than not round of Flu Panic '0X! but it does seem pretty inevitable that we're going to get hit and hit hard with something nasty eventually. We keep interconnecting more and more of the remote, god forsaken corners of the earth where conditions are obscene and these things can breed but we aren't doing a comparable amount to curtain spread or improve conditions.

Yeah. Fucking America with their 65000 massive pig farms with $14 billion in annual profit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is_also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters

Seriously. I have a hard time believeing that these pig flu can't come from America because you have some sense of self righteousness for America.

These flu's are very much grown in the middle of america not "remote, god forsaken corners of the earth"
    Usually as I understand it, these viruses only make the leap to person-person transmission when human-animal contact is extremely extensive (as it gives enough of a chance to mutate for human to human transmission). So USian factory-like farms might actually make it less likely for human transission and thus human to human mutation.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    I have a feeling this particular instance is more likely than not round of Flu Panic '0X! but it does seem pretty inevitable that we're going to get hit and hit hard with something nasty eventually. We keep interconnecting more and more of the remote, god forsaken corners of the earth where conditions are obscene and these things can breed but we aren't doing a comparable amount to curtain spread or improve conditions.

Yeah. Fucking America with their 65000 massive pig farms with $14 billion in annual profit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is_also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters

Seriously. I have a hard time believeing that these pig flu can't come from America because you have some sense of self righteousness for America.

These flu's are very much grown in the middle of america not "remote, god forsaken corners of the earth"
    Usually as I understand it, these viruses only make the leap to person-person transmission when human-animal contact is extremely extensive (as it gives enough of a chance to mutate for human to human transmission). So USian factory-like farms might actually make it less likely for human transission and thus human to human mutation.

Yeah, bird flu tends to be a problem in places like South East Asia and recently Egypt, where people keep chickens in and around their homes in not-so sanitary conditions.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    NestaNesta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OMG this is such a horrible time to be in the middle of reading The Stand. I've been watching the news closely and it's freaking me out. Of course, I was also freaking out earlier in the week reading an article on how four vials of Equine Virus had gone missing from a lab, only to be followed by the strange death of all those polo horses in Florida. I know they were supposedly poisoned from a tainted supplement...but it still was freaky.

Nesta on
    Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold. -Robert Nesta Marley
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow so this is how the world ends.

Seriously guys, zombie plagues are metaphors for global flu pandemics - I heard about this as a minor news article a couple weeks back and then there's this.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wow so this is how the world ends.

Seriously guys, zombie plagues are metaphors for global flu pandemics - I heard about this as a minor news article a couple weeks back and then there's this.

A couple weeks back? Remember where you read that/have a link? The earliest report I know of for this was one of the cases in the US which was diagnosed on the 21st. Mexico announced something was happening on Wednesday, and things really started to move quickly on Friday.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't know - hence the vaguery of the term. I read something, ignored it, and now it might kill everyone.

I plan on surviving. I hope real estate falls.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    10% lethality? Pfft, this shit's got nothing on Captain Trips.

BTW, this is totally why illegal immigration's gonna be the downfall of us all. Not by taking away American jobs, but by infecting us with crazy pigshit flu.

Illegal immigration and people practicing bestiality with pigs.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    10% lethality should worry you. In a pandemic that's a shit load of people. Moreover it means it's exactly not fatal enough that it's easy to spread it around.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    10% lethality? Pfft, this shit's got nothing on Captain Trips.

BTW, this is totally why illegal immigration's gonna be the downfall of us all. Not by taking away American jobs, but by infecting us with crazy pigshit flu.

Illegal immigration and people practicing bestiality with pigs.
    .............you're either unsuccessfully ironic or really stupid.

Illegal immigration has absolutely nothing on the legal immigration.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This particular issue? It doesn't appear to anywhere near that. Certainly the media finds a story like this fascinating and yes the CDC is taking a close look. But an Ebola outbreak this is not.

The Flu is like 500 times scarier than an Ebola outbreak because Ebola is transmitted by a carrier which it infects but doesn't harm. This is then transferred to a human. This mode of disease dispersal allows for diseases to evolve to be much more deadly since it doesn't require the infected person to stay alive to ensure it gets transfered to the next patient.

The Flu has a low mortality rate which is exactly why it is such a bigger threat that Ebola. Ebola kills or incapacitates everyone in a small range and does not allow them to spread it further than their own small town/village. For the Flu people are still very much able to walk around and give the disease to every other person in the country before they really notice the adverse effects.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bingo - for Ebola to be dangerous you have to initially disperse it over a population, and even then - you just shut down the services and let it burn itself out since it can't transfer easily.

The flu goes both airborne and has a long gestation time. Ebola is terrifying because it's almost guaranteed you'll die. Bear in mind though, a 1 in 10 (10% lethality) is going to be a shitload of people if half a city gets it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bingo - for Ebola to be dangerous you have to initially disperse it over a population, and even then - you just shut down the services and let it burn itself out since it can't transfer easily.

The flu goes both airborne and has a long gestation time. Ebola is terrifying because it's almost guaranteed you'll die. Bear in mind though, a 1 in 10 (10% lethality) is going to be a shitload of people if half a city gets it.

Yeah, for a large metro area and surrounding suburbs you'd be seeing deaths in the hundreds of thousands. The logistics on dealing with the dead would be staggering and have further serious health implications. Possibly plague?

I need a drink, maybe by raising my blood alcohol levels I'll make my body inhospitable to these little buggy bastards...

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Yeah, for a large metro area and surrounding suburbs you'd be seeing deaths in the hundreds of thousands. The logistics on dealing with the dead would be staggering and have further serious health implications. Possibly plague?

I need a drink, maybe by raising my blood alcohol levels I'll make my body inhospitable to these little buggy bastards...
    This is where those detox diets go wrong. If you're clearing out toxins, then really you need a stronger solvent like ethanol instead of water.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We need to develop airborne Ebola.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Actually there's a vaccine for it now.

I was all WTF when I saw this but boom, apparently it's a pretty awesomely solved problem.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually there's a vaccine for it now.

I was all WTF when I saw this but boom, apparently it's a pretty awesomely solved problem.

Well fuck, my hopes for worldwide pandemic is dead.

:(

Kagera on
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, actually, we don't. Haven't you ever read Tom Clancy novels?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Harrier wrote: »
    That thing in Rainbow Six is kind of ridiculous, though.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

God no I'm not 14 anymore.

Kagera on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    apparently my dad has this

Medopine on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well I'm locking myself in my apartment for the next few days.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That thing in Rainbow Six is kind of ridiculous, though.

"They're Druids! Oh, shit!"

Drake on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    Well shit

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    Well shit

yeah he sounded terrible on the phone

he told me he had the "swine flu" and I was all WTF is that

he said he'd be fine though

he is a doctor so I believe him

Medopine on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My parents left for Mexico as of...6am this morning.

:/

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So is something like Tamiflu worth a shit with a virus like this?

Drake on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What is the survival rate for a relatively healthy young person?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

My mom actually said she heard on the news this morning that American doctors have been using Tamiflu and that it was working well.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My parents left for Mexico as of...6am this morning.

:/

Don't let them back in the house!!!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Well that's the funny thing. The flu virus kills healthy young people pretty efficiently.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Well that's the funny thing. The flu virus kills healthy young people pretty efficiently.
    The young perish and the old linger

Harrier on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The young perish and the old linger

Well actually I dont know. I never really develop flu sever flu symptoms whenever I get the flu, and I get over it in a day or 2.

But the scare thing about the really scary flu viruses is that people who are normally relatively unaffected by the flu virus....well they get their asses kick by the ass kicking flu virus. Mostly because the body works a bit too hard against the virus and weaken itself.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

My mom actually said she heard on the news this morning that American doctors have been using Tamiflu and that it was working well.

Yeah. They've said Tamiflu and Relenza are working so far.

Wonder if getting your flu shot last year helps any...? It's probably out of my system now though. Wonder if I should run down to work and buy some facemasks. Hell, I work in a pharmacy and have sick people around me all day. And people have been complaining about flu-like symptoms they've had for a bit and just can't knock. D:

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Doctors administering Tamiflu and Relenza to everyone when they still claim that the American cases have almost nil lethality but we're observing wildfire spread and there's a great possibility there's nascent swine flu in huge reservoirs is kind of irresponsible. D:

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They quarantined the family of one teen after he got this. He's one of the eight that has recovered.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    On Friday, Mexico City closed museums and other cultural venues, and advised people not to attend movies or public events. Seven million students, from kindergartners to college students, were kept from classes in Mexico City and the neighboring State of Mexico on Friday, in what news organizations called the first citywide closing of schools since a powerful earthquake in 1985.

Because of the situation, the World Health Organization planned to consider raising the world pandemic flu alert to 4 from 3. Such a high level of alert — meaning that sustained human-to-human transmission of a new virus has been detected — has not been reached in recent years, even with the H5N1 avian flu circulating in Asia and Egypt, and would “really raise the hackles of everyone around the world,” said Dr. Robert G. Webster, a flu virus expert at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/world/americas/26mexico.html?ref=world

They've got a number scale and everything!

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Doctors administering Tamiflu and Relenza to everyone when they still claim that the American cases have almost nil lethality but we're observing wildfire spread and there's a great possibility there's nascent swine flu in huge reservoirs is kind of irresponsible. D:

Could you elucidate this statement? I just got the distinct feeling of something important whooshing over my head.

Drake on
  • Options
    Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

Could you elucidate this statement? I just got the distinct feeling of something important whooshing over my head.
    Actually, having looked it up I had it backwards. Embarrassing. :oops:

I was afraid of the statistical eventuality of someone's strain having blindly configured itself against Tamiflu and Relenza and then propagating this resistant strain somehow ... except apparently there's no real way that such a strong resistance could form if there's a huge antibody footprint already. And there might be a huge antibody footprint already, since they say it's both human-to-human and has low virulence (many more carriers than people who actually get sick; carriers still develop antibodies, though). So, I had one of the facts wrong and was worried about something there's no real sense being worried about. :)

Just waiting for more numbers to come out now. I'm watching this news feed like a very interested hawk. <_<

edit Press conference at 3PM for the high school in New York City with the 75 students who got pulled for testing yesterday. Might be our first cases on the east coast.

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Actually, having looked it up I had it backwards. Embarrassing. :oops:

I was afraid of the statistical eventuality of someone's strain having blindly configured itself against Tamiflu and Relenza and then propagating this resistant strain somehow ... except apparently there's no real way that such a strong resistance could form if there's a huge antibody footprint already. And there might be a huge antibody footprint already, since they say it's both human-to-human and has low virulence (many more carriers than people who actually get sick; carriers still develop antibodies, though). So, I had one of the facts wrong and was worried about something there's no real sense being worried about. :)

Just waiting for more numbers to come out now. I'm watching this news feed like a very interested hawk. <_<

edit Press conference at 3PM for the high school in New York City with the 75 students who got pulled for testing yesterday. Might be our first cases on the east coast.

Heh, to be honest, if its in New York City then we're basically screwed. It'll be everywhere by a fortnight.

never die on