As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

School is for Fools [celebration thread]

• potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Little Jim wrote: »
    potatoe wrote: »
    major: computer science :: very little busy work
    minor: mathematics :: fucking fuck busy work

practical degrees 8-)

no i'm talking about the forced option courses

things like music and literature

i don't need these things

ahh, yeah, that shit
    i tied all that up in my first couple years so my last few semesters were solid programming and math, no bullshit

it was a life of no sleep and constant work
    and i loved it

potatoe on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »
    college is a pretty stupid thing i think

i find myself infuriated that i had to get a classical liberal arts education

so much wasted time and money

well, yeah, it's stupid if you get a stupid degree

a degree in pure mathematics should not require course after course of retarded busywork

nor should any
    i disagree. i think it should be split down the middle. this is the reason engineers can barely function in society, the schools don't enforce enough liberal arts ed. at least i'd help.

my school forced everyone to take a lot of general education courses, lots of liberal arts
    majority of CS/EGR students still couldn't function in society

We have lots of gen eds for everyone here too, but engineers do still get off easy.

We have to take about 10-11 classes in the liberal arts category, while liberal arts majors get all of that plus another 6 or so classes, including 3 semesters of a language.

It's entirely understandable though, as lots of liberal arts degrees at my University can still be completed within 4 years, even with all the extra gen ed BS. Engineering, however, usually takes 5 years for an undergrad degree unless you're coming in with a large amount of AP or dual enrollment credit.

Squall on
  • LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is my last week. Pressure is setting in. Thinking about going back to college and getting a BA in art with a concentration in sculpting. That would be wonderful.

Linksville on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    college is a pretty stupid thing i think

i find myself infuriated that i had to get a classical liberal arts education

so much wasted time and money

well, yeah, it's stupid if you get a stupid degree

a degree in pure mathematics should not require course after course of retarded busywork

nor should any

john_henry_newman.jpg

So disappointed in you.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dadouw wrote: »
    fuck your college and ''freshmen'' shit

hurray for cegep
    is that some sort of STD?

French college

Its fucking great

Dadouw on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    dear john henry newman:

fuck you, pay me

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited April 2009
    yes well liberal arts degrees are for chumps

potatoe on
  • Punsie McKalePunsie McKale Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tfs where you goin to school

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i went to college about 3 hours from home (2 hours if i felt like going 90-95), and that seemed like a pretty solid distance

close enough that i could visit
    but far enough that it was impractical to do so but every couple months

unfortunately my school of choice is only an hour away from home, but I'll make due

it helps that Herron is the best art school in Indiana, and from what I understand fairly well-acknowledged across the nation

Vann Diras on
    edited April 2009
    t teefs suck it, chump

potatoe on
    edited April 2009
    i don't think that liberal arts degrees are for lesser minds, or are any less important than science degrees

but there's this odd double standard that the only art that is enriching is the classical stuff

why do i have to learn about what you think is beautiful when you are required to know nothing of galois theory, complex analysis, differential and non euclidean geometries? Or any of the other beautiful, incredible, amazing things in physics, biology, formal logic, or any science for that matter?

it just feels one sided for something supposedly so life enriching

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited April 2009
    Oh hey Teefs. Why where you hatin' on me wanting to go into sculpting a week ago? I forgot to ask you.

Linksville on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aw shit.

Dogs, who else has AP Exams coming up? Thanks for reminding me, school thread.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    Aw shit.

oh hey yeah I do. Only one though, Physics B.

we'll see about that one

Vann Diras on
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i don't think that liberal arts degrees are for lesser minds, or are any less important than science degrees

but there's this odd double standard that the only art that is enriching is the classical stuff

why do i have to learn about what you think is beautiful when you are required to know nothing of galois theory, complex analysis, differential and non euclidean geometries? Or any of the other beautiful, incredible, amazing things in physics, biology, formal logic, or any science for that matter?

Most liberal arts degrees have at least some amount of required math/science

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited April 2009

well, to be fair

you don't really get into our upper-level stuff

we see the bare bones of your stuff with our environmental biology and intro to physics courses the same way you see the bare bones of ours with composistion 1 and english lit 1

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Tossrock wrote: »

yes but that's all calculus 1, linear algebra 1, etc etc

there's no number theory, abstract algebra, geometry

everybody hates the forced science courses because they're dull and uninteresting

edit: I'm mostly protesting the fact that if i didn't do full IB in hich school i would have had to take fifteen non science courses (as opposed to five)

for a degree with 40 courses!

argh

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited April 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Aw shit.

oh hey yeah I do. Only one though, Physics B.

we'll see about that one

This is terrible, exams after exams are over.

And both of mine are different weeks, too.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Linksville wrote: »
    Oh hey Teefs. Why where you hatin' on me wanting to go into sculpting a week ago? I forgot to ask you.
    Professionally sculpting 20 foot high penises is not a good career choice, Linksville

So I guess Architecture is out of the question too.

Also, I would be going into the whole figure making aspect of it. Not stand alone installations.

Linksville on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Linksville wrote: »
    Professionally sculpting 20 foot high penises is not a good career choice, Linksville
    speaking of which, i saw a dildo in a store yesterday that advertised 20 "THICK" inches

i can only assume that the THICK is a system of measurements in much the same way imperial and metric systems are.

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009

everybody hates the forced science courses because they're dull and uninteresting

Because a lot of those interesting courses require a lot more prereqs than say a basic philosophy, history, or economics course.

Squall on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I go to school! It is a lot of fun. I am getting a little crazy about how much I love academia. I have actually had conversations with people about potentially being a professor, which is a strange and new thought.

Little Jim is being an idiot!

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009

[Deleted User] on
    edited April 2009
    Also I love my professional engineering courses, they're considerably more fun an interesting than basic level engineering courses like materials sciences

Squall on
    edited April 2009
    hopin' i don't need to take too many advanced maths and science courses

fuckin' poli-sci degree, man

What's the square root of Uranus?

Linksville on
    edited April 2009
    I go to school! It is a lot of fun. I am getting a little crazy about how much I love academia. I have actually had conversations with people about potentially being a professor, which is a strange and new thought.

yes truely i am an idiot durr durr i haet acadamia hurrr

i just would prefer a technical style of post secondary education as opposed to the liberal arts variety

heaven forbid there is conversation on this board no no only high fives and exclaiming "yeah!!!!" over and over

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm at a community college after fucking up at regular college, and I dunno...It's not the same, obviously.

All you kids with bright young futures make me a tad depressed.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited April 2009
    You're complaining about how you have to take basic philosophy history and social science courses and liberal arts majors don't have to take higher order calculus.

Squall on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

i just would prefer a technical style of post secondary education as opposed to the liberal arts variety

heaven forbid there is conversation on this board no no only high fives and exclaiming "yeah!!!!" over and over
    okay, see though

this would be the difference between a university and a trade school, if they taught engineering more like a trade

Faricazy on
    edited April 2009
    Squall wrote: »

Because a lot of those interesting courses require a lot more prereqs than say a basic philosophy, history, or economics course.

true enough, but not for all of those courses (one or two pre-reqs for most of the things i mentioned up there)

there is also a problem with schools having too strict pre-requisites for a whole lot of courses (the hard sciences are especially guilty of this)

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm acutally slightly better at math than english, according to the SAT

I like math ok

I just want a career where I can make a real name for myself, and I don't see math as being that career

Punsie McKale on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    People who go to college and just devoutly study one subject to the exclusion of others are doing it wrong.

Might as well just go to a vocational school, really.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009
    Squall wrote: »

true enough, but not for all of those courses (one or two pre-reqs for most of the things i mentioned up there)

there is also a problem with schools having too strict pre-requisites for a whole lot of courses (the hard sciences are especially guilty of this)

One or two prereqs is too much for a gen ed. All of my liberal arts gen eds I have to take as an engineer have NO PREREQS

Squall on
    edited April 2009
    I'm at a community college after fucking up at regular college, and I dunno...It's not the same, obviously.

I always feel awkward around kids my age who aspire to go to community college.

It's probably a bad thing of me, but I go to college preparatory school or whatever, and it's ingrained into me that you should go to a good school, even though people around here don't think like that.

So, it's a good thing that you know you could have done better, because there are so many people who only try for a crappy community college.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm acutally slightly better at math than english, according to the SAT

I like math ok

I just want a career where I can make a real name for myself, and I don't see math as being that career

The chances of making a real name for yourself in any career are about the same, in that they are all effectively zero.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Ugh. I wish I had a better memory so I could take a whole bunch of math and science classes. The stuff you can play around with in those classes fascinates me and feeds my insatiable curiosity.

Linksville on
    edited April 2009

I always feel awkward around kids my age who aspire to go to community college.

It's probably a bad thing of me, but I go to college preparatory school or whatever, and it's ingrained into me that you should go to a good school, even though people around here don't think like that.

So, it's a good thing that you know you could have done better, because there are so many people who only try for a crappy community college.

haha

ahhhh

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2009

okay, see though

this would be the difference between a university and a trade school, if they taught engineering more like a trade

right

i regard anyone in a trade school as a person with equal intellect, because not going to university doesn't equate to being of a lesser mind (not that i'm saying you were suggesting that either)

why not focus on your studying your concentration while you're at school, finish your degree in 3 years?

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png