As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

1565758596062»

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rikushix wrote: »
    Vezina finalists: Niklas Backstrom, Tim Thomas, Steve Mason

Backstrom? BACKSTROM? #&$@$!^&!

edit: didn't realize how high his stats were.

still....GRARGH

He plays for the wild. Pretty easy to get good stats when the team traps.

It's too close to call between Thomas and Mason. I honestly don't know who will win.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I give it to Thomas because he was a career AHLer who, in his 4th NHL season kept the light from being lit all season. It's like a feel good story.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2009
    I give it to Thomas because he was a career AHLer who, in his 4th NHL season kept the light from being lit all season. It's like a feel good story.

See, I think that too, but then you look at Mason, 10 shutouts as a rookie. Can't ignore that either.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thomas plays out east, he'll win the Vezina

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited April 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    Thomas plays out east, he'll win the Vezina

Your right. I keep forgetting that part.

wunderbar on
    edited April 2009
    So Brashear got 6 games total for his actions in game 6. That's more than I thought he would get, and that's awesome.

wunderbar on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know Im horribly biased and more than likely will be arguing with my passion for the team over actual facts, but...

Guy who's known as a goon acts like a goon and gets 6 games. Thats fair.

Guy who's the coach of a team, supposed to be the leader, the man in a suit that shows class and rallies his team gets in a fight with a FAN, squirting them and waving a stick at them...and gets ONE GAME?

Soooooooooo fucked up.

Also, I ALWAYS will side with Brashear when he does shit to Colton Orr. Two years ago (or last year, I cant remember), Orr called him the N-Word. He deserves whatever happens to him.

I hate the Rangers so much. Bitching about Caps fans -- seriously? I love how the team wrote the NHL a letter, saying the Caps should be disciplined for the CONDUCT OF THE FANS, and say Tortorella did what he did in response to...
    "According to Rangers trainer Jim Ramsay, one patron was screaming at the team, in graphic language, about whether defencemen Dan Girardi and Marc Staal have a sexual relationship," Sather wrote in a letter to Bettman that the team released Sunday.

Grow the fuck up.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So Brashear got 6 games total for his actions in game 6. That's more than I thought he would get, and that's awesome.

6 games.... ouch

awesome they are trying to do something about the blatant goonery, but the length of these suspensions and calling of them is sporadic and confusing.

and no Avery suspension huh? After that giant spinning back-hand fist to the face and the ridiculous high sticking a game or two ago, where was the suspension there? Not to mention a few weeks ago when he "bopped" Tim Thomas on the back of the head with a stick after the play.

Brashear did a little push pre-game and the huge leveling during play and 6 games? Did he do something else that I missed.

They really just need some kind of standard call and length of suspension defined. I'm always confused how they come up with this stuff.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited April 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »

6 games.... ouch

awesome they are trying to do something about the blatant goonery, but the length of these suspensions and calling of them is sporadic and confusing.

and no Avery suspension huh? After that giant spinning back-hand fist to the face and the ridiculous high sticking a game or two ago, where was the suspension there? Not to mention a few weeks ago when he "bopped" Tim Thomas on the back of the head with a stick after the play.

Brashear did a little push pre-game and the huge leveling during play and 6 games? Did he do something else that I missed.

They really just need some kind of standard call and length of suspension defined. I'm always confused how they come up with this stuff.

There is precedent int he the little push. Making contact with a player on the opposing team during warmup is an automatic 1 game suspension. Roy in Calgary got one earlier in the series. and it wasn't just a leveling. It was a late cheap shot to the head, and he deserved to get at least 5 games for it.

However, I do fully agree that it seems that the NHL just throws darts at a board when deciding suspensions. There is no rhyme or reason, and very rarely do they follow their on precedents. They need clearer standards for suspensions, and need to follow them.

wunderbar on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Sevorak wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »
    NHL refs are stupid and inconsistent.

FACT

I think ref #54 had the check of the night on Grier Saturday. Moments before the Ducks' first goal. MVP of the game.

No, don't get out of the way of the large black man with the puck Mr. Ref, just stand there and trip him up.

I blame him for us not winning in regulation.

And Nabby.
    But mostly 54.

The Ref's are considered part of the ice. Like a goal post. Or a loose stick/helmet/glove lying on the ice. I blame the person that ran into him.

Pretty much, it was a nasty turnover that directly resulted in goal for the Ducks but I can't fault the ref.

Nabby :|

tofu on
    edited April 2009
    How the Ducks got a PP out of the scrum I have no idea.

tofu on
  • xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nabby just imploded

xeroismygod on
    edited April 2009
    More like defense implosion, both of those weren't soft goals.

tofu on
  • xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!

xeroismygod on
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    More importantly, Vancouver gets to host Chicago. The first round in the west could not have gone better for the Canucks unless every other series went to seven games.

Varcayn on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure the Blue Jackets taking out the Wings would have been better. Just saying.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited April 2009
    At least now we get to watch the Wings rip the Ducks, 4 or 5 games I say.

I think I'm going to jump on the Canucks wagon, any room? :D

tofu on
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure the Blue Jackets taking out the Wings would have been better. Just saying.

That'd would've seen Vancouver play Anaheim in the second round.

I'd rather play Chicago and let Anaheim and Detroit wear each other down first.

Varcayn on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Huh. The CBC commentators said that the winner of Anaheim/San Jose was going to play Chicago. Idiots. Also, there's one commentator for TSN that's a total jackass.

Anyway, here's hoping the Sedin twins rip Chicago a new one. I've never really watched Vancouver play, but it's never too late to start. :P

Nova_C on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well. Shit.

Let's go not Ducks!

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wings in 5, Canucks in 7.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • 3v3v Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Way to stay classy Sharks. I mean Perry was out there at the end of the game and you didn't even try and get him back for all the shit he's pulled this season.

Classy.

3v on
    512285-1.png
    PantsB wrote: »
    Koreans 4 Gate like this
    White People 4 gate like this
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apparently my friend and I sat next to two of the Ducks' Ice Girls on Saturday. They were the last two coming off the ice after one of the commercial breaks. I would have talked more shit if I had realized.

Or hit on them if they didn't have wedding/engagement rings.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    20050110h.jpg
    Tycho wrote:
    There was some sort of roiling tempest on the WoW boards, something about GM abuse, or maybe a gamemaster was just a member of a guild when he was off work, or maybe it wasn't a gamemaster at all but just a Blizzard employee, or some other scenario completely inextricable from the noise all forums generate. I could not reconstruct the trajectory of the complaint, though it has been suggested that a person did something bad, which (obviously!) I'm opposed to.

In any case, real gamemaster abuse looks like this. If you are cowering and afraid, prostrate and shoeless on the cobblestones in Stormwind, some kind of abuse has occurred. That is how you will know.

Those Goddamn forums are an unceasing wall of useless jungle sounds. While we're on the topic.

Fuck only knows what's going on in there. Every class specific board has its own cadre of misunderstood prophets, leading their /signatories to a statistically equitable promised land. Each profession crawls toward a unique doom which only they can perceive! That is why it is critical that their grim revelations be bumped at fifteen minute intervals, lest their potent visions lose rank to fresher jeremiads.

Perhaps it is true that outside my awareness, mathematical proofs of my deficiencies throb wetly. It would not surprise me. My official proclamation is as follows: they are allowed to fix each profession's debilitating and potentially imaginary bugaboos after they get their server downtime and performance under control. I've never played a game where the servers were more stable when it was a beta, but eventually the novelty of that fact ceases being delightful. Whimsy recedes and the amount on the monthly bill seems to rise off the paper like braille, growing in stature.

I'm satisfied that we made a good pick for Game of 2004. But there is a reason Blizzard has the reputation they do, and it's because they're supposed to be better than this.

(CW)TB out.

how much do you wanna bet

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.