As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Dark, Mighty, New) Avengers Assemble! Long Live the Dark Reign

• Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scripts are of interest to budding writers, and even non-writers who want to see a bit of how things work behind the scenes. Personally I'm not interested in them, but that doesn't mean they aren't a valid form of additional content. There are other examples, like the Deadpool one you just gave, but if you're hoping for several pages of unique and interesting free content for every comic the company produces you're probably setting your sights a little high.

I'd be very interested to see what Joe Q's actually wording was, do you have a link somewhere for it?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, Yost isn't the permanent new Runaways writer? Awesome. Maybe only one or two will be needlessly killed in his issue.

Anyway, I thought New Avengers was just a great book this week. This is really what a flagship team book should be like.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    i like scripts well enough as an extra. i'm often interested in seeing what the writer's intention was and how that ended up being expressed in the final product. i'm not crazy for them or anything. it's okay if it's not in a collection, but i certainly won't complain if it is. it's almost the equivalent of sketch pages, but for a writer.

about the only time i can think of when it's really been helpful and a welcome addition to a trade is in arkham asylum. there's a lot of interesting stuff in there that really clarifies morrison's thought processes in creating the final product.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    i like scripts well enough as an extra. i'm often interested in seeing what the writer's intention was and how that ended up being expressed in the final product. i'm not crazy for them or anything. it's okay if it's not in a collection, but i certainly won't complain if it is. it's almost the equivalent of sketch pages, but for a writer.

about the only time i can think of when it's really been helpful and a welcome addition to a trade is in arkham asylum. there's a lot of interesting stuff in there that really clarifies morrison's thought processes in creating the final product.
    Also, reading it can be really difficult sometimes.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to see what Joe Q's actually wording was, do you have a link somewhere for it?

Here is what he wrote for his Myspace interview dated 2-22-09, with and update the next day :
    JM: Just blue skies, man, perfect world—and I know you work for a publishing company—what SHOULD a new comic book cost, assuming standard 32-page, 22-story page format, and the paper, print, and production readers are accustomed to seeing these days?

JQ: I think we are priced accordingly and if I'm really honest, I think comics, based upon the value we give, are an incredible bargain, and that's because we have worked very, very hard to keep it that way. So, all in all, I think we're in line with where we need to be. But also, lets be very clear, there's a lot of misinformation out there. The first thing everyone thought was that every single book in our line was going to $3.99. Not true. It's only four of our main titles. Most Marvel mainline titles are still at $2.99, very reasonably priced, pretty much across the line.

But the thing I keep coming back to, and what really, really drove it home for me, was talking to a friend of mine who doesn't work in comics. He's from a business background, not from the comics world at all, but still a creative person. And I was showing him one of our comics. He was flipping through a "modern comic book" for the very first time, and noting the production values, the quality of the art. And when he was done paging through it, he turned to me and said, "You're only charging $3.99 for this? How are you able to do this? How are you able to keep the price so low with the quality so high?" It was very interesting to me to see that from the perspective of the uninitiated. He actually thought it should cost more.

And yeah, as a consumer myself, and especially in these economic times, I get it. I absolutely see how fans can get upset at a price increase. I totally relate. It makes perfect sense. I just want everyone to know we don't put anything out there at any price without a great deal of thinking going into it. I am not advocating for higher prices in any way, shape, or form, we held the $2.99 cover price for several years. What I'm saying is that we do work very hard to keep the prices where they are and to keep the top talent here at Marvel and in comics. We could just let these people move to other industries but then where would we all be. You said it yourself—some of these guys could easily be making two or three times what they make in comics by working elsewhere.

Again, it was a great question by a fan, and a great discussion we had about it. I'm glad we get to share part of it here.

Note this was done when in February when only a few titles were making the $4 leap; now we're into the high teens if not more of titles with $4 tags.

He says a lot of right things in there (most of the third paragraph), but he also says a lot of dumb things (you can't use a [possibly imaginary] friend who goes nameless who agrees with you when it comes to business, either name them or don't use them).

And then he goes on to say "Well, we could just let these guys go make more money somewhere else." That's fine, if they can get more for their abilities elsewhere let them do it. That's how business works. I'm not trying to be a smartass with that, but the whole "but then where would we all be" is a bit hollow; these are not the only artists out there, they aren't finite like Pandas.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait, Yost isn't the permanent new Runaways writer? Awesome. Maybe only one or two will be needlessly killed in his issue.
    Irony time: Yost's issue is a silly Molly and Wolverine oneshot and Kathryn Immonen is killing a character in her first issue.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    It annoys me to no end that Runaways has been tarnished first by delays, then by shitty art and subpar writing. I'm hoping Immonen will be a good fit, but I think the shitty art is staying, isn't it?

Are you talking about Ramos? I can't be the only person on earth who thinks that dude's art sucks.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It annoys me to no end that Runaways has been tarnished first by delays, then by shitty art and subpar writing. I'm hoping Immonen will be a good fit, but I think the shitty art is staying, isn't it?

Are you talking about Ramos? I can't be the only person on earth who thinks that dude's art sucks.
    His work should fit for something, but I haven't seen it yet. It's very cartoony.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

There are people that don't think that?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One last thought about the pricing issue, it's a bit different for me since I get a 20% discount on all products at my comic shop for being a long term pull costumer. I only pay 2.50 for 2.99 books and around 3.35 for 3.99 books so I don't have quite the dilemma other people have about the price increase. Personally I like getting trades more but the wait is also an issue. Since I don't buy dvds anymore and few games(mainly Virtual Console titles) I can splurge on comics but those trades can add up quick.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ramos has good art, you all suck.

His Impulse was good, then he went too cartoony, but came back and did some good Spectacular Spider-Man or PP:SM issues, and his art really fit for that Wolverine Civil War arc.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Iron Captain Ant-Eye.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Virral wrote: »

Here is what he wrote for his Myspace interview dated 2-22-09, with and update the next day :

<Cup o Joe snip>

Note this was done when in February when only a few titles were making the $4 leap; now we're into the high teens if not more of titles with $4 tags.

He says a lot of right things in there (most of the third paragraph), but he also says a lot of dumb things (you can't use a [possibly imaginary] friend who goes nameless who agrees with you when it comes to business, either name them or don't use them).

And then he goes on to say "Well, we could just let these guys go make more money somewhere else." That's fine, if they can get more for their abilities elsewhere let them do it. That's how business works. I'm not trying to be a smartass with that, but the whole "but then where would we all be" is a bit hollow; these are not the only artists out there, they aren't finite like Pandas.

You see, I read that article and I think he came across very reasonably. You were making it sound like he waved his dick in everyone's face and told us we were lucky it was only going up by a dollar.

And I'm sorry, but I think you're really grasping at straws complaining about the nameless friend. Would it really have made a difference to the anecdote if he had said "My friend Richard Andrew" instead of leaving him nameless? If you're going to believe he's making it up the whole story, you're going to believe he's making up the name too, so it shouldn't matter if he includes one or not. Besides, it's an anecdote on a MySpace interview for gods sake, not a business proposal being submitted to a Board of Directors.

It's all damned if you do, damned if you don't stuff. No matter what the guy said people would be able to twist it to justify the hate, especially for something like a price increase that naturally generates a certain amount of negative feeling automatically.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, I heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who, heard it from another you've been messing around. *cue Dave Amato guitar solo*

You just don't do anecdotes where it boils down to "my friend who works in another industry says we're charging less than what it's worth, so we're doing something right" when it comes to something like prices. Politicians do it all the time and it annoys me to no end. And giving a real name or industry would help, because it puts things into context. Is the friend working for Aston Martin, trying to promote the One-77?. If so, his concept of what is and isn't expensive may be different from someone selling Papaya King hotdogs. If you really want to shut everyone up as to why it's necessary, use real numbers. Otherwise just do the usual PR damage control and move on. Strawmen and anecdotes in business just annoy me, that's all.

Anyways, back to Avengers. Dark Avengers #4 comes out this week with Ms (dark) Marvel #38. Also, Dr. Doom and the Masters of Evil wraps up, which is a fun book that is trotting the line between All ages and being in continuity.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder when comics will be fully digitally distributed, and we can recall the old days of "comic shops", much like we remember the good old days of arcades.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My comic shops been around since 1983, it will never go away.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    One question I have about switching to digital distribution for every title is how that would affect the buying habits of the chronic collectors. If the hunting and cataloging becomes a thing of the past, will they spend much less per week?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    They could set up some form of automated print service which prints out hard copy versions of stories you really want at premium price.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If comics were digitally distributed properly I would probably switch to singles, and continue to buy trades for the series I really enjoy. Overall it would probably mean I'd spend more money.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If they made New or Dark Avengers $2 online a month after it was released in print I could see buying it. You get the money from the people who need to have it right away, and then the rest is pure profit.

John Rogers or Matt Struges said that Blue Beetle could have been sold online for a dollar an issue, and if the remaining people buying BB when it was canceled bought it (~15k) it would cover creative costs plus have some profit left over for DC.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    David Wallace of Comicsbulletin totally trashes Dark Avengers #4.

And apparently the solicit and cover are totally misleading as well. However I'm kinda happy about that since they hint at Norman already changing around the team after only 4 issues in the solicit and I like the current team.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The thing with the Cabal is that it could be really interesting. Since no one is a reliable narrator, and no one actually trusts anyone else, the idea could be really good intrigue. I don't think it lives up to that potential.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not exactly thrilled by Dark Avengers either. It's like the Thunderbolts conceptually, but all the interesting parts are gone and all we have left is a generic team of heroes who'll sometimes allude to having been villains once.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not exactly thrilled by Dark Avengers either. It's like the Thunderbolts conceptually, but all the interesting parts are gone and all we have left is a generic team of heroes who'll sometimes allude to having been villains once.
    Except they don't care about civilians and are willing to kill! They are super badass!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's a decent book, it's making me hate Osborn and the team pretty nicely. I want to see them fall apart and be destroyed, so maybe the New Avengers will step up and get that taken care of for me. Bullseye and Moonstone are easily the best parts of the book, but they have their own titles to shine in. At least it's better than Mighty Avengers, but that's not saying much.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Except they don't care about civilians and are willing to kill! They are super badass!

It's pretty funny that their disregard for human life goes ignored when, just a few years ago, the country was ready to lynch any random superhero just because the New Warriors (seemed) to screw up.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    .....change we can believe in?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a decent book, it's making me hate Osborn and the team pretty nicely. I want to see them fall apart and be destroyed, so maybe the New Avengers will step up and get that taken care of for me. Bullseye and Moonstone are easily the best parts of the book, but they have their own titles to shine in. At least it's better than Mighty Avengers, but that's not saying much.

Personally i think it'd be a more interesting book if it cast Obsorn in a more sympathetic light. If they'd stuck with themes from when Norman was talking to Sentry about the void and needing to live as a person.

I'd love to read something with Norma Osborn really trying to make a proper go of the Avengers, being forced to use people like Bullseye and Venom because none of the proper heroes will work with him. Really striving to reform and make a system that while brutal gets the job done and protects people, and just constantly being let down by the psychopaths he's forced to employ and the Goblin gibbering away in his own head.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the problem with that idea, although it would be more interesting, is that the whole point is that bad guys are running things, and nobody would believe Osborn as a sincere good guy anyways.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Personally i think it'd be a more interesting book if it cast Obsorn in a more sympathetic light. If they'd stuck with themes from when Norman was talking to Sentry about the void and needing to live as a person.

I'd love to read something with Norma Osborn really trying to make a proper go of the Avengers, being forced to use people like Bullseye and Venom because none of the proper heroes will work with him. Really striving to reform and make a system that while brutal gets the job done and protects people, and just constantly being let down by the psychopaths he's forced to employ and the Goblin gibbering away in his own head.

That reminds me of Harvey Dent post Hush, where he was "cured", but the writers did nothing with him really, and wasted a good idea to make him good but slowly going back to his old ways like he did in James Robinson's Face the Face.

I just wonder how much Marvel is willing to push the idea that the bad guys acting good are actually doing a better job than the good guys ever did. It can kind of destroy the idea of superheroics, but would be nice to see, at least the Marvel average joe thinks so.

God, I'm so bored. Houston is flooded today so no work, and you can't really go anywhere because of the streets and it's raining again and bllluuuuhhhh.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That scene with Bob? That was Norman spreading around 100% Grade A bullshit.
    It's pretty funny that their disregard for human life goes ignored when, just a few years ago, the country was ready to lynch any random superhero just because the New Warriors (seemed) to screw up.

How dare you expect consistency from comic books.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

That scene with Bob? That was Norman spreading around 100% Grade A bullshit.

Yeah so? It was what Bob bloody well needed to hear and he seems to be leaving the fucking house to fight evil, so good job Norman on that one.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't even know how the Sentry/Void thing works anymore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't get me started.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry sucks.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Does anyone outside of Jenkins like Sentry, really?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    No.

Hes a blotch in my MU and I need him erased.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry was great in his original series.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Character wisely he is interesting but he is too strong to be placed into stories. If else entire marvel story lines would have ended with Sentry tossing people into the sun or something.

Dreamon on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like how they kind of retconned Sentry into existence, but they really need to do more with him than make him afraid of doing anything. Good on Norman for getting him out of the house. Norman did a few good things in the events of SI/DA, but they're all overshadowed by him being a total tool.

spookymuffin on
This discussion has been closed.