As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Rising, Motherfucker (NSF 56k)

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    Also, the double mini-chainsaws you took off of the clown made the game way too easy.

It was also fun to take out the guy with the sniper-rifle using the hockey stick that fired unlimited pucks, which was found in the nearby sporting goods store.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Oh my god
    This is so much better than MvC2 news

My only complaint with DR1 is the saving system. I mean what the fuck. Games have evolved past this point, and I'm a firm believer in Save Anywhere. Seriously, having to traverse everything to run back to the security office and save? Fuck that.

Bathrooms, chief

I never went back to the security room when I played mission-free

The problem is that it's my first run-through, so I'm stuck with the security room. So many absolutely frustrating moments with running through the courtyard and getting sniped to death by the fuckers in the gun-mounted jeep from across the lawns and through gaggles of zombies and losing everything I'd just worked for. Kind of a game breaker, so I'm looking forward to alternatives.

Are there any other places I can save on the go? Because seriously, that would help me actually get through this game without having to start over so often.

Seriously, bathrooms. Look for side hallways, those usually lead to bathrooms and you can save there

And mission-free is available from the beginning.

Don't leave the security room when you get off the copter at the beginning. Wait until 4 PM to leave. When you do, missions will be completely bypassed, and this is the best way to play the game

Me Too! on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I only managed to kill that goddamn clown once, whereupon I got raped by something else and didn't get to save.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bogey wrote: »
    Also, the double mini-chainsaws you took off of the clown made the game way too easy.

It was also fun to take out the guy with the sniper-rifle using the hockey stick that fired unlimited pucks, which was found in the nearby sporting goods store.

I weakened him with the hockey stick then crushed his head with a bowling ball

Me Too! on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I stopped playing DR when that spanish guy had a rifle and I had no gun and it was stupid.

I threw cash registers at him
    maybe if you people weren't so terrible at everything you'd have more fun with Dead Rising

It wasn't just that fact alone, it was just building up to me stopping and that was the point where I finally gave up. The dudes driving around in the courtyard was probably the thing I hated most because I had no gun and they had a jeep.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LOST MC join cast of Dead Rising characters

In this undead Bro Ther Hood

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2009
    nah, i didn't really have any issues with gameplay stuff, I just found the game excessively boring after a while (and the fact it took forever to even get started with the game was a drag)

and I didnt have an HDTV for a while after getting my 360

Unknown User on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    IIRC those hallways weren't open to me because I didn't have the proper key. I think it was just all the frustration for having to lose soooo much gameplay whenever I died. I <3 quicksaves.

It looks like there are a lot of cool things I've missed, though, so I know I'll definitely go back to DR after I beat Mercenaries 2.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    IIRC those hallways weren't open to me because I didn't have the proper key. I think it was just all the frustration for having to lose soooo much gameplay whenever I died. I <3 quicksaves.

It looks like there are a lot of cool things I've missed, though, so I know I'll definitely go back to DR after I beat Mercenaries 2.
    I've been wanting to replay this game for so long now, but Penguin's had my game hostage for like 8 months now. And he hates it!

Bogey on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I find quicksaves remove all difficulty from a game

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Different hallways!

Actually, same hallways, not through those doors though

I think if you head to the far right side of Paradise Plaza or whatever it is, the one that leads to the security room, you can find one. And I mean all the way to the right past the stores

Then there's one in Northern Plaza not far from the grocery store, and I can't remember where the others are because I spent most of my time in those two places.

Basically every area has one though

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bogey wrote: »

I've been wanting to replay this game for so long now, but Penguin's had my game hostage for like 8 months now. And he hates it!

You shoulda grabbed it when he had RE5 — dogg could not put it down. Thankfully Ant was content with watching, 'cause I had no idea what to do, hehe.
    I played DR at Mani's for a little while and decided it was great, but I wasn't concerned with saving, so I never ran into that issue and therefore never asked for any alternatives.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I like quicksaves because they allow me to do the optimal thing in most situations. I like trial and error, particularly in, like, Deus Ex. Games like that wouldn't be nearly as fun or engaging without a quicksave option.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The locked doors actually lead to the parking garage, which is an excellent place to level up by driving through hordes of zombies

Ask Stale about that though, he gives better directions than I do

Me Too! on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    from day one all Dead Rising needed to be fucking amazingly awesome is multiplayer.

What do we do now?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying quicksaves shouldn't be an option. But no quicksaves in a game about survival seems to make sense to me.

Tasteticle on

• Options
    edited April 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    I find quicksaves remove all difficulty from a game

Well, take Mercenaries 2. There's auto-save after you complete missions, the game doesn't start over after you die, but there aren't really quick saves. There is save anywhere, but it doesn't work the same way quick saves do.

So even when you die, you don't get too frustrated and stop playing. If there isn't a reason to stop playing because you get fed up with trying the same mission over and over and over, then you'll see all of the game and you'll enjoy it much more.

It might be less of a challenge in some regards, but it's fun more often than not, and that's the point.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think a system like, "auto save every 10 minutes" would work better for this type of game. So you don't have to go all over the place to save, but you DO have to survive long enough.

Tasteticle on

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I used to think quicksaves removed difficulty from a game until I played STALKER and if that game didn't have quicksave I'm pretty sure no one would ever make it past the first bandit camp.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Based on time is a weird system. Based on mission completion or some other hill is a better and more well-founded system. It's pretty standard in a lot of adventure games.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    STALKER is one of my favorite shooters ever, and you are straight up on the money about quicksave utilization in it. That game was so goddamn hard by itself it would've been nigh on impossible in the absence of a save anywhere feature.

Personally, I think that for most modern games, save-points are a sort of outdated mechanism. But games that function in a classic fashion like Silent Hill and platformers and stuff are still ideally suited to autosaves. RPGs and stuff, not so much - in fact, I can't imagine playing an RPG of any kind without the option for quicksave and multiple saves.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    quicksave is broken in half-life

just quick flip your finger up to the quicksave button before a jump and you never have to fear missing

potatoe on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can't wait for this game. The original is still pretty much my favorite 360 exclusive.

If you think this game sucks, you are a moronic pussy of the highest order.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dead rising was the main reason i got a 360, fucking love this game, any word on when 2 is due out or just one of those ready when it is ready deals?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    STALKER is one of my favorite shooters ever, and you are straight up on the money about quicksave utilization in it. That game was so goddamn hard by itself it would've been nigh on impossible in the absence of a save anywhere feature.

Personally, I think that for most modern games, save-points are a sort of outdated mechanism. But games that function in a classic fashion like Silent Hill and platformers and stuff are still ideally suited to autosaves. RPGs and stuff, not so much - in fact, I can't imagine playing an RPG of any kind without the option for quicksave and multiple saves.

Yeah, STALKER is basically my favourite game ever and I will readily admit that if it weren't for quicksave I would have thrown up my hands, said 'fuck it' and stopped playing about half an hour in.

Save-points are kind of an outdated mechanism, but we actually had this discussion when we were working on Sonic Chronicles. The nice thing about save points is that they provide a reminder for the player to save - if it's an RPG and you see a save point in the middle of a 'dungeon' type level, you know that there's probably a boss battle or something difficult coming up. We ended up sticking with 'save-anywhere' because the game had already been designed around that system (and the discussion didn't come up soon enough) but we ended up adding a 'hey Sonic you should save here!' reminder as a sort of compromise.

For JRPG style games, I think save points are so ingrained into the mentality of players that it makes a certain amount of sense to have them. Then again, while Earthbound did technically have that it wasn't nearly as obvious and it seemed to work okay, so who knows.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    vsove wrote: »

Yeah, STALKER is basically my favourite game ever and I will readily admit that if it weren't for quicksave I would have thrown up my hands, said 'fuck it' and stopped playing about half an hour in.

Save-points are kind of an outdated mechanism, but we actually had this discussion when we were working on Sonic Chronicles. The nice thing about save points is that they provide a reminder for the player to save - if it's an RPG and you see a save point in the middle of a 'dungeon' type level, you know that there's probably a boss battle or something difficult coming up. We ended up sticking with 'save-anywhere' because the game had already been designed around that system (and the discussion didn't come up soon enough) but we ended up adding a 'hey Sonic you should save here!' reminder as a sort of compromise.

For JRPG style games, I think save points are so ingrained into the mentality of players that it makes a certain amount of sense to have them. Then again, while Earthbound did technically have that it wasn't nearly as obvious and it seemed to work okay, so who knows.

I picked up stalker when it was $5 on Steam and I couldn't stand it. There was so much knowledge in the game that it seemed like I was supposed to know before the game started. It took me 12 hours into the game before Captain K was like "oh yeah those things are equippable and this is what is going on here and there". So little of the game's mechanics were explained I felt too lost to bother with it.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    scarlet just use your map to find a bathroom to save in, they're all over the place

also i loved this game, even the timed mission setup. and how can people complain about the bossfights? they were hilarious

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I agree that Quick-Saves can work...in some types of games.

Not this one though.

Bogey on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    vsove wrote: »

I picked up stalker when it was $5 on Steam and I couldn't stand it. There was so much knowledge in the game that it seemed like I was supposed to know before the game started. It took me 12 hours into the game before Captain K was like "oh yeah those things are equippable and this is what is going on here and there". So little of the game's mechanics were explained I felt too lost to bother with it.

It's not for everyone, honestly, and that's because it's a very Eastern European game - the player is the enemy and the game is designed to pit you against itself. It's a different philosophy than a lot of people in North America or even western Europe (with the exception of Germany - I'm looking at you X3) are used to, where the developer seems more concerned about guiding the player and 'helping' the player as they fight against the AI and the game itself.

For me, it took numerous attempts to get into it (I think I got just past the bandit camp five or six times before I finally continued playing) but once I did, I found it to be the most immersive game I'd ever played, even if it was hard as fuck.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    STALKER is extremely difficult to get into, I reckon, but I have never played a better shooter. It's got a bit of a difficulty hump before you acquire decent stuff and learn the mechanics, but after that it actually gets easier.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think I am actually kinda burned out on zombie-related things lately

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Man, this is the only zombie-related game that matters. RE doesn't have zombies anymore (and RE5 fucking blew anyways), what other games lately have had zombies? That were worth playing?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    left
    dead

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    STALKER is extremely difficult to get into, I reckon, but I have never played a better shooter. It's got a bit of a difficulty hump before you acquire decent stuff and learn the mechanics, but after that it actually gets easier.

What I liked about STALKER was how the world was so immersive that I developed more of a connection with characters who had maybe five or six lines of dialogue than I have with the entire main cast of other games.

I still maintain that STALKER is the best RPG I've ever played, but I understand that this is an opinion most people will not agree with.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Man, this is the only zombie-related game that matters. RE doesn't have zombies anymore (and RE5 fucking blew anyways), what other games lately have had zombies? That were worth playing?

Not just games

I went through this phase where we not only played a fuckton of Resident Evil (they're close enough to zombies) but also watched Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later and etc. etc. and had bullshit hypothetical discussions of nearby zombie outbreaks and etc. etc.

I've just had enough for now

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Not just games

I went through this phase where we not only played a fuckton of Resident Evil (they're close enough to zombies) but also watched Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead and 28 Days Later and etc. etc. and had bullshit hypothetical discussions of nearby zombie outbreaks and etc. etc.

I've just had enough for now
    Go read World War Z!

Bogey on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guys you know what game kicks ass

Audiosurf

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bogey I own World War Z

I am two steps ahead of you

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I go through zombie phases all the time like that. It doesn't HAVE to be zombies, exactly, sometimes it's enough for it to be that end of the world few against many kind of scenario.

That really is my favorite kind of story.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Bogey I own World War Z

I am two steps ahead of you
    I kick your hamstring then.

Bogey on