As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ulduar harder than Naxx! More at 11 [SE++ WoW]

• Options
    futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    you guys seriously care waaaay too much about your min/max numbers. Like way too much. Competent players are much more important than super high numbers. And I don't fucking care if you want to bitch me out for saying that, but it's true.

and seriously, when did you start caring so much, and how long until you stop?

futility on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    bitching about the way people enjoy a game is unbecoming

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just played with a target dummy and maxed out at 2900. but it doesn't matter. oh well.

SkankPlaya on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    okay i guess i will just throw out dots and spells in no particular rotation and lets see how competent of a player i am that way

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    futility wrote: »
    you guys seriously care waaaay too much about your min/max numbers. Like way too much. Competent players are much more important than super high numbers. And I don't fucking care if you want to bitch me out for saying that, but it's true.

But what about competent players with super high numbers?

It doesn't matter how good you are at avoiding raid damage, if you aren't outputting your share of the dps you're dead weight on the raid.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    bitching about the way people enjoy a game is unbecoming

it's one thing to enjoy the math.
    it's quite another to hold the math against people.

I'm really getting the feeling that people are caring too much about each other numbers and not enough about each other.

futility on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    JoahW wrote: »

It doesn't matter how good you are at avoiding raid damage, if you aren't outputting your share of the dps you're dead weight on the raid.

If you can't meet your base output then you aren't a competent player. My brother the rogue for example: super well geared, yet not a competent player because he can't out dps a fly. And what the fuck does "your share of dps" mean?

futility on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    from now on raid invites will be determined by your /hug statistics

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    shittttttt

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    yesssssss

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    from now on raid invites will be determined by your /hug statistics

fuck you LD, we all know you run wowhugglider

futility on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    yesssssss

meissnerd will you

will you turn me into a boomkin tonight

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

If you can't meet your base output then you aren't a competent player. My brother the rogue for example: super well geared, yet not a competent player because he can't out dps a fly. And what the fuck does "your share of dps" mean?

Auto Shot/Steady Shot hurrrrrr.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Makershot wrote: »
    Is there any point in not using WF/WF then? Instead of WF/FT for LL.

I currently have the Glyph of WF and LL and will get SS.
    WF/WF is great up until you start putting points into Maelstrom. After that, the spellpower bonus from FT gives a good DPS increase that scales very well with your gear. However, it can be a little mana-intensive until you get into some later-Outland/mid-Northrend gear, but hey, that's what Shamanistic Rage is for.

Glyph of Lava Lash sucks. 10% more onto an already "filler" ability isn't worth the slot, but the Stormstrike glyph is tits. SS boosts LB, LS and ES all at once, so an extra 8% onto all of those spells is a huge boost.

That third glyph slot is kind of iffy... Glyph of Earth Shock was going to be the end-all enhancement glyph, but they never got it to work correctly and now it's the lackluster Glyph of Shocking. Glyph of Feral Spirit is pretty neat, but it's only really used every three minutes for 40 seconds at a time. I've got Glyph of Lightning Shield, but I suppose Glyph of FT would be OK, too... a 2% more chance to proc Elemental Devastation ain't that bad.

I havent run sims to check, but I'd wager that SS, WF, and FT glyphs are the best. Not only is it more Elemental Devastation, but with so much of enhancement damage coming from spells now, I think it's have a pretty profound effect. Maybe I'll actually break out a simulator.

also - are you sure that SS over MW-LB is better? I know when I ran sims a few months ago it was (marginally) better to have LB prioritized. However this was before SS became mana regen, and I might've not even had maxed out Static Shock? I can't remember.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    yesssssss

meissnerd will you

yesss i will

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    yesssssss

meissnerd will you

yesss i will

you've made me the happiest druid in the world!

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Auto Shot/Steady Shot hurrrrrr.

no really? how exactly does one quantify someone doing "enough" dps. "More than the tank" works as a pretty good benchmark. But beyond that there is so much disparity by class, spec and gear that without being some sort of max dps purist asshole it's almost impossible to say where one player's dps should be.

futility on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Since when did they become mutually exclusive?

And doesn't "competent" involve knowing how to play your class and how to best work the numbers to your advantage?

Javen on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AkimboLegs wrote: »

WF/WF is great up until you start putting points into Maelstrom. After that, the spellpower bonus from FT gives a good DPS increase that scales very well with your gear. However, it can be a little mana-intensive until you get into some later-Outland/mid-Northrend gear, but hey, that's what Shamanistic Rage is for.

Glyph of Lava Lash sucks. 10% more onto an already "filler" ability isn't worth the slot, but the Stormstrike glyph is tits. SS boosts LB, LS and ES all at once, so an extra 8% onto all of those spells is a huge boost.

That third glyph slot is kind of iffy... Glyph of Earth Shock was going to be the end-all enhancement glyph, but they never got it to work correctly and now it's the lackluster Glyph of Shocking. Glyph of Feral Spirit is pretty neat, but it's only really used every three minutes for 40 seconds at a time. I've got Glyph of Lightning Shield, but I suppose Glyph of FT would be OK, too... a 2% more chance to proc Elemental Devastation ain't that bad.

I havent run sims to check, but I'd wager that SS, WF, and FT glyphs are the best. Not only is it more Elemental Devastation, but with so much of enhancement damage coming from spells now, I think it's have a pretty profound effect. Maybe I'll actually break out a simulator.

also - are you sure that SS over MW-LB is better? I know when I ran sims a few months ago it was (marginally) better to have LB prioritized. However this was before SS became mana regen, and I might've not even had maxed out Static Shock? I can't remember.
    Yeah man--it's 28% more damage. LB against a target with the SS debuff will always do more damage than LB on a target without. Plus, your subsequent ES will do 28% more damage, too... it's pretty much god's law that you want that SS debuff on your target at all times, hence making it top priority.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

I care because being top DPS makes me a stallion with my wife

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Javen wrote: »

Since when did they become mutually exclusive?

And doesn't "competent" involve knowing how to play your class and how to best work the numbers to your advantage?

to some extent yes. In my mind a competent player is one who knows their class well enough to use the right ability at the right time (i.e. not using aoe on a single regular type mob), doesn't stand in fire (or move when flame wreath is cast) and is respectful (to an extent) of their group

so by that:

incompetent player: someone running around single targeting packs of mobs and/or dying every single time because they like to dps while standing on top of the tank and then cussing out the healers for not saving them

competent player: attacks groups with almost the right ability, stands in the right place and is responsive to people

super player: always on top of attacks with (de)buffs always up, anticipates where to stand so good that they are marked with an icon to help others move, kindly offers help to others without telling them how to play [and has fish feasts for all]

futility on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

I care because being top DPS makes me a stallion with my wife
    I hear if you're top DPS wives will invite their very attractive friends over to reward you for a successful raid

Grath on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I kind of enjoy the theorycrafting a bit. 30 minutes of reading about your class and game mechanics goes a hell of a long way.

Some enjoy it more, and write simulators and other stuff, that may be "too much" but what's the harm?

Some do it too little and just faceroll the keyboard to DPS, they're more or less dead weight in your raid/group.

captaink on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Presenting the best item in the WOW armory

Crafty's Legendary Pole
    http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=43651

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    great a new add-ons argument

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with theorycrafting or enjoying the numbers of the game. I'm saying it's wrong to hold numbers against people when they're good players.

futility on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah man--it's 28% more damage. LB against a target with the SS debuff will always do more damage than LB on a target without. Plus, your subsequent ES will do 28% more damage, too... it's pretty much god's law that you want that SS debuff on your target at all times, hence making it top priority.

This is wrong, because every second that you're not using that 5 stack, you're wasting more potential charges, therefore you're losing more lightning bolts overall. SS is the next priority for the reasons you explained, but it doesn't take priority over MWLB.

Adus on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with theorycrafting or enjoying the numbers of the game. I'm saying it's wrong to hold numbers against people when they're good players.

Here is my stance on holding numbers against people.

Are we having trouble killing a boss y/n
    if yes is the problem related to not being fast enough (enrage timers, dps races etc)
    if yes Look at the lowest person and check their gear, is it shit? y/n
    if no suggest they read up on how to increase their dps.

I typically am not going to hold it against somebody if I'm pulling ~5k dps and they are pulling ~4500dps

If I'm pulling ~5k dps and they are pulling ~2k dps then I might make a few suggestions.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Grath wrote: »

if yes is the problem related to not being fast enough (enrage timers, dps races etc)

I typically am not going to hold it against somebody if I'm pulling ~5k dps and they are pulling ~4500dps

If I'm pulling ~5k dps and they are pulling ~2k dps then I might make a few suggestions.

And that's totally reasonable. My problem is people who take the same list and reverse it.

futility on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grath wrote: »

And that's totally reasonable. My problem is people who take the same list and reverse it.

And who's doing this?

captaink on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Adus wrote: »

This is wrong, because every second that you're not using that 5 stack, you're wasting more potential charges, therefore you're losing more lightning bolts overall. SS is the next priority for the reasons you explained, but it doesn't take priority over MWLB.
    I should clarify that the SS debuff takes priority on the rotation--since the debuff lasts for 12 seconds and the cooldown lasts 8, there will be plenty of times where you'll skip it in favor of LB.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Adus wrote: »

That's been my rationale too. One other thing is that SS is what, 8s cooldown? That's 4 charges every 8 seconds. Your reason for throwing SS before MWLB is to make sure the charges are up, but realistically, you get 1 ES, maybe 1 LS proc, and maybe a MWLB every 8 seconds, so even being generous you don't usually run out of SS procs anyway.

AkimboLegs on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

no really? how exactly does one quantify someone doing "enough" dps. "More than the tank" works as a pretty good benchmark. But beyond that there is so much disparity by class, spec and gear that without being some sort of max dps purist asshole it's almost impossible to say where one player's dps should be.

"Above the tank" is a pretty shitty benchmark.
    At least if you want to do anything other than Naxx and Sartharion with no friends.
    It's pretty easy to tell where a pure DPS class should be most of the time.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you are in blues you should shoot for 1.6-2k
    Epix 2k-3k
    Legendaries: you won the game so stand around IF, no dps required

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    Epix 2k-3k

:D

3k in epixxxxx ...what? Is that like...an elemental shaman?

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

o_O

Darkness Mundus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dely Apple wrote: »
    Epix 2k-3k

I would think a warrior wielding a thunderfury and sulfuras (titan's grip can accommodate that right?) would disagree.

futility on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

o_O

I dunno maybe my reading is being selective. I just see in this thread a lot of: ulduar ulduar, not enough dps, I want to go, can't go, go to naxx...

needs more espnicorns

futility on
  • Options
    MittenMitten Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    so 3.1 made it so you can't join battlegrounds while jumping or falling. I didn't realize that I always did this until it was taken away.

Mitten on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Mitten wrote: »
    so 3.1 made it so you can't join battlegrounds while jumping or falling. I didn't realize that I always did this until it was taken away.

that sounds pretty useless

I'm sorry for your loss

futility on
This discussion has been closed.