As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Are Pringles chips made from potatoes?

Not really.

http://www.robrob8.com/you_wanted_to_know/pringles_potato_chips.htm

emnmnme on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Apperantly, some southerners in SE== like fried chicken skin. I decided my sanity couldn't bear the wrong answer to the question of whether they meant that was the part of fried chicken they like best or they throw chicken skin into the deep fryer.
    They mean the part of the chicken that has the breading/friend part on it. Which is the best part.

There was an episode of South Park where they finally decided to quit hanging out with Cartman because he did something so unbelievably low, even for him, that they couldn't even pretend they liked him anymore. His crime? Eating the skin off all the KFC while everybody else was bringing the groceries in.

Duffel on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure why you guys are so down on hotdogs. Granted, my mother would only buy Hebrew National and Brandeis buys all beef so they can get everything from one supplier.

The most disgusting thing I've ever heard of is that British sandwich with fries and butter. I also once saw a sign that read "fried seafood/ icecream," but I later figured out that it was advertising two items rather than one item that was too long for one line.

I grew up with garlic icecream. Contrary to how it sounds it is full of win and victory.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Next you'll be giving me a hard time for calling Fruity Pebbles a terrible cereal. Can you process that rice any more? I think not even though it's somehow part of a complete breakfast.

So is the bowl. I don't want to eat that, either.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Heartlash wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Pretty much everything posted on that site is just... beyond me.

sweet and sour jesus
    The Cornhole

Corn on the cob wrapped in hickory bacon with two hot dogs and two Colby-Jack cheese sticks wrapped in ground beef.

There is not enough D:

I don't think that website even approaches the absurdity of turkey twizzlers. I mean, they've got something there which is effectively Nachos.

Yes Nachos...

with POTATO CHIPS.

D:

Err, I'm not seeing the problem. Its not like there is really a titanic difference between Corn Chips and Potato Chips.

Corn chips are usually baked corn meal (think matzo without the bunghole clogging [which is why compote is a traditional pessach desert]), while potato chips are (deep?) fried, covered in additional fat/oil and salt.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    And I refuse to eat any food that begins with "Mc".

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I mean, there are foods which are not foods. primarily the ranges of 'formed meat' products which we primarily target at children. Theres no way to make a good turkey twizzler.

You talkin bout..

http://lekowicz.com/library/images/sequoia_potted_meat.jpg

Ha, no, I'm talking about...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2004/12/14/twizzlers3.gif

Mmm, turkey sweepings pressed into strange spirals held there by solidifier agents and 8 tonnes of salt...

"Sweepings" is not a word I ever want to hear in conjunction with food. It ... it got added to the other ingredients by a broom?

desc on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    And I refuse to eat any food that begins with "Mc".

that's a pretty safe rule of thumb

also, "nuggets"

Senjutsu on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jurg wrote: »
    What is it? In N' Out? Where you order a #X and they put X patties on a bun? The potential unhealthiness is staggering.

20060125050438458_21.jpg

For the longest time I could never figure out fried beer/coke, because how do you deep-fry a liquid? Then I learned it was just beer/coke flavored batter.

I dunno, chicken & waffles seems pretty easy to understand. And loco moco is awesome.

BubbaT on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not really.

As a pringle eater I found that initially somewhat disturbing, but then it occurred to me: does this mean the product is ultimately less healthy for me than most other potatoe chips? I doubt it.

Dman on
  • MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apperantly, some southerners in SE== like fried chicken skin. I decided my sanity couldn't bear the wrong answer to the question of whether they meant that was the part of fried chicken they like best or they throw chicken skin into the deep fryer.

What? Have you never had fried chicken? The skin gets fried with the rest of the bird. You either eat through it or sit there and play with your food picking it off.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    They mean the part of the chicken that has the breading/friend part on it. Which is the best part.

There was an episode of South Park where they finally decided to quit hanging out with Cartman because he did something so unbelievably low, even for him, that they couldn't even pretend they liked him anymore. His crime? Eating the skin off all the KFC while everybody else was bringing the groceries in.

I can see that. When we get rotisserie chicken from the B&C, my mom always pulls the skin off everything but the limbs while I try to find the spots she missed because I like the spices.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited April 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

I dunno, chicken & waffles seems pretty easy to understand. And loco moco is awesome.

The only thing easy to understand about chicken & waffles is that it is the product of a diseased mind

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2009

What? Have you never had fried chicken? The skin gets fried with the rest of the bird. You either eat through it or sit there and play with your food picking it off.

Occasionally when I was young, but breaded and baked(?) tilapia tasted better.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009

I can see that. When we get rotisserie chicken from the B&C, my mom always pulls the skin off everything but the limbs while I try to find the spots she missed because I like the spices.

Yeah, it's great. All the marinade and stuff gets soaked into the skin and then it gets all crispy and shit.

Of course, rotisseried anything is 10x better than fried anything.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009

The vast majority of people, at least around here, would remove the skin prior to frying or baking a chicken

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2009
    How in the blue hell can anybody eat any of that shit

They made a stuffed portobello mushroom look like something the cat threw up

Duffel on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A burger chain in Oklahoma makes a burger using a half-pound of spicy southern sausage, topped with ham and bacon and with pepper jack cheese melted on top of it.

Not only is it horrible for you, but you will regret eating it within five minutes of leaving the restaurant.
    But it's actually pretty tasty.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited April 2009
    Dman wrote: »

Not really.

As a pringle eater I found that initially somewhat disturbing, but then it occurred to me: does this mean the product is ultimately less healthy for me than most other potatoe chips? I doubt it.

But is it food? :P

Another one my Mom usually falls for is buying fruit juice. She sees the "100% Vitamin C!" stamped on the label on Ocean Spray's cranberry juice and I keep telling her it's not juice. I flip the bottle on its side and point out where it says *contains 10% juice from concentrate* - somehow this imitation costs more than the brand with 100% juice sitting next to it!

Is that stuff actually juice when it has High fructose corn syrup in it?

emnmnme on
    edited April 2009
    Some of these are disturbing

"Heart Attack Sandwich"

"The Porkgasm"

"McGangBang"

Duffel on
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Not really.

Another one my Mom usually falls for is buying fruit juice. She sees the "100% Vitamin C!" stamped on the label on Ocean Spray's cranberry juice and I keep telling her it's not juice. I flip the bottle on its side and point out where it says *contains 10% juice from concentrate* - somehow this imitation costs more than the brand with 100% juice sitting next to it!

I think they're usually touted as "juice drinks".

TheMarshal on
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

I dunno, chicken & waffles seems pretty easy to understand.

Sure, but that's like 17 entries in, and sandwiched between a deep fried banana split and a deep fried Cadbury cream egg...

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

Not really.

You did read the whole thing, right? It's a parody. While Pringles are, in fact, made from potato flakes, potato flakes are not dehydrated McDonald's fries. Sorry. You've just been had.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2009

Not really.

It's juice. Corn juice.

Instant Ramen has always freaked me out and I have never eaten it. Though working nights has forced me to eat an uncomfortable amount of food from vending machines when I forget a lunch.

MalaysianShrew on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The vast majority of people, at least around here, would remove the skin prior to frying or baking a chicken

Dude, why? The skin helps keep the meat moist as it cooks. It's like, one of the best parts.

BloodySloth on
    edited April 2009

The vast majority of people, at least around here, would remove the skin prior to frying or baking a chicken because we don't enjoy life or things that don't suck

fixed

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw an episode of Dirty Jobs recently, where Mike was helping to make Cracklin'.

I've desperately wanted to try some ever since.

Tach on
    edited April 2009
    How do you even fry a skinless chicken, it just seems incredibly lame

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Only in America can you get a family-sized serving of brownies and a 4 meat pizza delivered to your door for $16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fhq08gtX-0&feature=related

emnmnme on
    edited April 2009

It's like people who order their steaks well done because they think they will die if they eat pink meat.

MalaysianShrew on
    edited April 2009
    I don't actually know anyone who has actually fried a chicken themselves, but still

chicken skin is foul

Senjutsu on
    edited April 2009
    I don't actually know anyone who has actually fried a chicken themselves, but still

chicken skin is foul

I think you mean fowl
    amirite?

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    edited April 2009

chicken skin is foul

You are actually lying to all of us. Chicken skin at its worst improves the flavor of the meat, and at it's best is a crispy layer of ever-so-slightly-fatty seasoned heaven on your meal.

BloodySloth on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Enjoy your rubbery fried chicken then.

I prefer lemon pepper or barbeque chicken myself.

SkutSkut on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009

chicken skin is foul

You are actually lying to all of us. Chicken skin at its worst improves the flavor of the meat, and at it's best is a crispy layer of ever-so-slightly-fatty seasoned heaven on your meal.

I agree with Senj. Chicken skin is foul. However, it is useful during the cooking phase. Chicken skin should be removed post-cooking, not pre-cooking.

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2009
    I've eaten some weird stuff - being expected to eat hummus and olives along with milk and cereal at 6 am comes to mind - but taking the skin off of chicken? Blech.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Especially when barbecuing, you need the skin on to keep it from drying out, or you need to wrap it in tin foil or some other shenanigans.

MalaysianShrew on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jurg wrote: »
    What is it? In N' Out? Where you order a #X and they put X patties on a bun? The potential unhealthiness is staggering.

You can order an X by X, where one X is the number of patties and the other X is the number of cheese slices.

But really, that's a pretty silly way to gauge unhealthiness. I mean, I could order a bunch of burgers anywhere and combine them, and the potential unhealthiness from that is staggering.

Indeed, and by burger standards In and Out is healthy and a decent choice. All natural stuff, small burger by modern standards and fries served unsalted by default.

I've heard they serve decent stuff, but I really want to know how crazy people have gotten with that system. I mean, has someone ordered a 10X10? A 100X100? Where does the madness stop?!

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think I've ever seen, cooked or eaten a roast or baked chicken that had the skin removed pre cooking. I often remove the skin post cooking though.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited April 2009

It's like people who order their steaks well done because they think they will die if they eat pink meat.

"Yeah, I'll have the steak but listen... What could you do to make it as similar to a shoe as possible?"

BloodySloth on