As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How is that even food?

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Heartlash wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Pretty much everything posted on that site is just... beyond me.

I dunno, chicken & waffles seems pretty easy to understand.

Sure, but that's like 17 entries in, and sandwiched between a deep fried banana split and a deep fried Cadbury cream egg...

True, most of that stuff looks like a byproduct of school cafeteria dare contests.

As for non-food foods:

Celebrated French chef Pierre Gagnaire claims to have created the world's first entirely synthetic gourmet dish - a starter of jelly balls in apple and lemon flavours that are creamy on the inside and crisp on the outside.

The dish, which will debut in Hong Kong today, is a combination of ascorbic acid, glucose, citric acid and a few grams of 4-O-a-glucopyranosyl-D-sorbitol, a sugar substitute otherwise known as maltitol.

Mr Gagnaire, who has three Michelin stars, has worked for months with Hervé This, the founder of molecular gastronomy, according to the Times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5185235/French-chef-creates-entirely-synthetic-gourmet-dish.html

BubbaT on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jurg wrote: »

I've heard they serve decent stuff, but I really want to know how crazy people have gotten with that system. I mean, has someone ordered a 10X10? A 100X100? Where does the madness stop?!

It stops with your wallet

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about some of this delicious Brown Canned Bread?"

That looks just delicious.

An-D on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    An-D wrote: »
    How about some of this delicious Brown Canned Bread?"

That looks just delicious.

If you have a snout and walk on four legs, maybe.

Premier kakos on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's canned bread? When did this happen? How does that happen?

....Why?

BloodySloth on
  • XaevXaev Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I don't actually know anyone who has actually fried a chicken themselves, but still

chicken skin is foul

You are actually lying to all of us. Chicken skin at its worst improves the flavor of the meat, and at it's best is a crispy layer of ever-so-slightly-fatty seasoned heaven on your meal.

I agree with Senj. Chicken skin is foul. However, it is useful during the cooking phase. Chicken skin should be removed post-cooking, not pre-cooking.

This. Chicken is delicious prepared in many different ways. The skin rarely tastes good and should almost always be removed before eating.

Xaev on
    Steam - Lysus || XBL - Veax || PSN - Lysus || WoW - Lysus (Korgath - US) || Guild Wars - Lysus Yjirkar || Starcraft II - Lysus.781 || League of Legends - Lysus
    Feel free to add me on whatever network, it's always more fun to play with people than alone
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Are Pringles chips made from potatoes?

Not really.

http://www.robrob8.com/you_wanted_to_know/pringles_potato_chips.htm

Well you're right in that Pringles is only 42% potatoes and the rest is like rice flour or some such but that site is satire and Pringles are not made from old french fries.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • MeowsvilleMeowsville Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

Pretty much everything posted on that site is just... beyond me.

I dunno, chicken & waffles seems pretty easy to understand.

Sure, but that's like 17 entries in, and sandwiched between a deep fried banana split and a deep fried Cadbury cream egg...

True, most of that stuff looks like a byproduct of school cafeteria dare contests.

As for non-food foods:

Celebrated French chef Pierre Gagnaire claims to have created the world's first entirely synthetic gourmet dish - a starter of jelly balls in apple and lemon flavours that are creamy on the inside and crisp on the outside.

The dish, which will debut in Hong Kong today, is a combination of ascorbic acid, glucose, citric acid and a few grams of 4-O-a-glucopyranosyl-D-sorbitol, a sugar substitute otherwise known as maltitol.

Mr Gagnaire, who has three Michelin stars, has worked for months with Hervé This, the founder of molecular gastronomy, according to the Times.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/5185235/French-chef-creates-entirely-synthetic-gourmet-dish.html

That chef is insane. I find the fact that he is named Gagnaire humorously appropriate.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Xaev wrote: »
    I don't actually know anyone who has actually fried a chicken themselves, but still

chicken skin is foul

You are actually lying to all of us. Chicken skin at its worst improves the flavor of the meat, and at it's best is a crispy layer of ever-so-slightly-fatty seasoned heaven on your meal.

I agree with Senj. Chicken skin is foul. However, it is useful during the cooking phase. Chicken skin should be removed post-cooking, not pre-cooking.

This. Chicken is delicious prepared in many different ways. The skin rarely tastes good and should almost always be removed before eating.

You all are frikkin crazy. Its like a garnish!!!!
    A delicious garnish that you are crazy to toss

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's canned bread? When did this happen? How does that happen?

....Why?

It comes in plain and raisin flavors!! :D:^: ?

An-D on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    2735660243_029f158b2c.jpg

Thank you spain for coming up with weird shit.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    [hamcrisps]

That's nothing. Here in the UK, Walkers have some flavours out on trial including Onion Bhaji, Fish and Chips, and Cajun Squirrel. I shit you not, squirrel flavoured crisps. Unless it's a euphemism.

Apparently the Fish and Chips ones taste more horrible than you'd think.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Chicken skin is the only reason I ever eat chicken whether it's slathered in BBQ sauce or fried or peppered.

The skin's the thing...

Kagera on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    [hamcrisps]

That's nothing. Here in the UK, Walkers have some flavours out on trial including Onion Bhaji, Fish and Chips, and Cajun Squirrel. I shit you not, squirrel flavoured crisps. Unless it's a euphemism.

I question the wisdom of making fish and potatoe flavoured potatoed snacks personally.

The Onion Bhaji ones are the nicest though, work got a box of them from the cash and carry a while back, didn't last a day.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2009
    My favorite thing on TIWYF is the "Meta-Pizza", a pizza topped with mini-pizzas. Everything else is disgusting, but that is just plain hilarious.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw an ad once for gel-filled Eggo waffles. I'm not sure what the gel was - strawberry goo, syrup, frosting? - but the idea is revolting. I imagine it's like eating a jelly donut or pastry but you pour maple syrup on top, too.

emnmnme on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Meowsville wrote: »
    My favorite thing on TIWYF is the "Meta-Pizza", a pizza topped with mini-pizzas. Everything else is disgusting, but that is just plain hilarious.

Someone obviously didn't take it far enough. It needs to be a meta-pizza topped with mini-meta-pizzas.

Premier kakos on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you guys are so down on hotdogs. Granted, my mother would only buy Hebrew National and Brandeis buys all beef so they can get everything from one supplier.

The most disgusting thing I've ever heard of is that British sandwich with fries and butter. I also once saw a sign that read "fried seafood/ icecream," but I later figured out that it was advertising two items rather than one item that was too long for one line.

A chip butty? Err, thats just big fries (fish and chip style fries) in a bun or between two slices of bread. Do you eat fries? Bread? Its much 'healthier' than a burger.

Not with butter. Seriously, who the fuck eats their french fries with butter?

You don't have to use butter, its like you don't have to put Mayonaisse on a burger. The butter is your 'condiment'

Then why do you call it a "butty?" Besides that, every article I've read (British people seem to bitch loud enough about them not being served in elementary schools to make the NYT every time a school does so) has noted that it's a fry and butter sandwich, sometimes adding that it's usually around a half a stick.

Butty means sandwich/roll. You might also make a 'Bacon Butty'. True you usually spread some butter on the bread, but its not fundamental. The butter certainly isn't a major ingredient, it just makes the bread not so dry since you usually would use cheap bread for this. You certainly wouldn't spread more butter on it (most people use margarine anyway) than you would on an average sandwich.

I guess English people just like buttered bread. I mean, in England you would just always put some margarine on a sandwich if you made one unless it was really fancy.
    In the US, if you butter the bread you usually don't put anything else on. Thus the bewilderment.

Captain Carrot on
    edited April 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I saw an ad once for gel-filled Eggo waffles. I'm not sure what the gel was - strawberry goo, syrup, frosting? - but the idea is revolting. I imagine it's like eating a jelly donut or pastry but you pour maple syrup on top, too.

Apparently they are called "Waff-FULLS". Bleh

I'm starting to think that stuffing and filling foods with other foods is the essence of fatness.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Oh yeah, the Oreo Pizza

oreo-pizza1.jpg

Kagera on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is that a pizza made of Oreos or a bunch of Oreos on a pizza?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2009

Made of Oreos. Not even Domino's is depraved enough to put Oreos on a regular pizza.

I hope.

Kagera on
    edited April 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

Made of Oreos. Not even Domino's is depraved enough to put Oreos on a regular pizza.

I hope.

That would be CRAZY. You'd have to deep-fry them first.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009

I hope.

Rule 43:

If it's deep fried and edible some carnival in the South sells it.

Kagera on
    edited April 2009

I hope.

Rule 43:

If it's deep fried and edible some carnival in the South sells it.

lolz. Sometimes I think the South should be deep fried.

Meowsville on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    [hamcrisps]

I question the wisdom of making fish and potatoe flavoured potatoed snacks personally.

The Onion Bhaji ones are the nicest though, work got a box of them from the cash and carry a while back, didn't last a day.
    They also have Marmite flavoured ones! Of course, I like Marmite...

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    kraft+singles+1-752005.jpg

Everything that is wrong with American food is best summed up with American Cheese.

1. It isnt what it's label to be. That shit aint cheese.

2. It's individually wrapped in plastic. Americans has gotten so goddamn lazy that we cant even cut our own damn cheese.

3. Americans actually prefer this over real cheese. Nevermind how disgusting it is.

Casually Hardcore on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ololol generalizing aside, that shitty "cheese" is nasty. In fact I'm gonna go get some real cheese right now.

SkutSkut on
    edited April 2009
    Everything that is wrong with American food is best summed up with American Cheese.

I think the big issue here is that you're eating terrible American food. Every country has their bastardized convenience-versions of real food.

BloodySloth on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oreo pizza is a little bizarre but dirt pudding is delicious. I can only imagine how fattening it must be, though.

Duffel on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Enjoy your rubbery fried chicken then.

If it's rubbery then you're doing it very, very wrong.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Enjoy your rubbery fried chicken then.

If it's rubbery then you're doing it very, very wrong.

like removing the skin before cooking.:P

SkutSkut on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Oreo pizza is a little bizarre but dirt pudding is delicious. I can only imagine how fattening it must be, though.

Your mind is better off not knowing. That said, a Butterfinger cake is even worse.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited April 2009
    Podly wrote: »

I saw this on Anthony Bourdain's show once. I have to say, there is an element of morbid curiosity that makes me want to hunt down the closest poutine dealer.

BloodySloth on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Even grosser, the way too popular "The Works" sold at New York Fries.

Fries topped with beef chili, sour cream, cheese sauce, onions, bacon, and then most people opt to add gravy on top.

http://www.newyorkfries.com/menu

880 calories before the gravy, with 42g of fat and 1110mg of sodium

Senjutsu on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I guess English people just like buttered bread. I mean, in England you would just always put some margarine on a sandwich if you made one unless it was really fancy.
    In the US, if you butter the bread you usually don't put anything else on. Thus the bewilderment.

Thats because in the USA you can't really get a proper sliced loaf to use in a UK Style sandwich. Unlike in the USA where most sandwiches come on rolls, in the UK they come on sliced bread. Sliced bread goes much better with butter, and we just like sandwhiches more. Honey sandwiches, Cheese sandwiches, Jam sandwhich, PB+J. You 'butter' (almost always margerine) the bread first, but not with a crazy amount or anything.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Fries topped with beef chili, sour cream, cheese sauce, onions, bacon, and then most people opt to add gravy on top.

Thats a lot of calories, but I mean if you ate it as a whole meal it wouldn't be too bad. I mean, its no different from Chilli Fries, or even really from a loaded plate of Nachos.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    that's a broad definition of "not too bad"

a single 880 calorie meal is ridiculously large

edit: and as podly points out, those are 880 largely nutrition-free calories. part of a sodium rich diet, though

Senjutsu on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Thats a lot of calories, but I mean if you ate it as a whole meal it wouldn't be too bad. I mean, its no different from Chilli Fries, or even really from a loaded plate of Nachos.

That is terrible! An 880 calorie meal should be giving you a shitload of nutrients, protein, fiber, etc. Chili Fries and a PLATEFUL of nachos are not a healthy comparison.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1