As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield 2 - 1.5 beta is out!

• ReviloRevilo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Major problem.
    Just downloaded the new patch.
    When join a game from the server list, it loads up then as soon as the game starts sends me right back to the server list. Whats going on?

Revilo on
  • edited April 2009
    Revilo wrote: »
    Major problem.
    When join a game from the server list, it loads up then as soon as the game starts sends me right back to the server list. Whats going on?

Did you update from 1.41 or a vanilla install? What OS?

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Revilo wrote: »
    Major problem.

Dollars to donuts it's punkbuster. Manually update it from punkbuster's site and it should fix the problem.

Dark_Side on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Now i remembered why i stopped playing this game. Jesus fucking christ fuck this piece of shit. This is the cheapest shit i've ever played in my life. I'm going to uninstall it now. Talk about a waste of two days.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited April 2009
    Ok I'm done whining like a pussy and want to play again.

I was playing 1.41 last night. I'm scared to upgrade to 1.5

NickTheNewbie on
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wouldn't advise it. I had 1.5 installed but had an extremely hard time even finding a server with anyone on it. On that note: Make sure you delete your profiles if you revert back from 1.5. I spent an hour trying to get 1.41 to work again only to finally realize my config files still had the resolution set to 1680x1050 and BF2 was not smart enough to revert to defaults.

Strikor on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All this shit sounds like too much work. I'll probably just play some TF2 instead.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All this shit sounds like too much work. I'll probably just play some TF2 instead.

But you can't run over people with tanks in TF2. Or jeeps or various other sundry implements of doom.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »

But you can't run over people with tanks in TF2. Or jeeps or various other sundry implements of doom.

spec-ops + cars = win.

suicide car ftw.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    if only you could scream admiral ackbar over voice comm before you popped the c4

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • ReviloRevilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    im also starting to remember why i stopped playing this game.

Its the cheapness of it being blown up by a jet when you're trying to run somewhere.
    Its the fact that you end up with 3-4 people in vehicals on their own while it take the rest of the team most of the round to RUN TO THE ACTION.

I hate RUNNING TO THE ACTION. Then being blown up by a jet.

Revilo on
    edited May 2009
    Have you tried some of the infantry only servers? True it doesn't solve the running issue but at least you wouldn't have the jet spam.

Strikor on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't recall having any problem with jets killing you while you're running from place to place, unless you're running with a huge pack of dudes with vehicles. Choppers, sure, but all the deaths at the hands of the chopper are well worth the headshot on the pilot through the glass and the helicopter crashing into the side of a building while the gunner is wondering what the fuck just happened.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a weapon more rewarding than TV missiles in any game? Possibly the AT rockets, but they do not give that satisfying upclose kill cam. Shooting down an enemy helicopter with a TV missile was too much fun.

Fizban140 on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    After playing that dried up dam level as mec for like 10 rounds in a row I realized how fucking whiney the player base was back in the day.

On the few servers I played on they all had autoadmin turned on, and it's instant ban if you set foot in uncappable bases. Of course, the whole time we're not allowed to blow up US assets half of their team is inside our base taking our vehicles, destroying our assets, and general spawn camping, but that's ok because it's cappable!!!! (meanwhile no one on their team is actually on our flag at that base so it may as well be uncappable)

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited May 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Is there a weapon more rewarding than TV missiles in any game? Possibly the AT rockets, but they do not give that satisfying upclose kill cam. Shooting down an enemy helicopter with a TV missile was too much fun.

Nope. Plus AT missiles take a bunch of hits to do anything. TV missiles get shit done.

Strikor on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    the most frustrating thing ever tho was when youre doing the tv missle and it misses the target by pixels X(

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    AT missiles are more like flareguns to alert tanks to your presence

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited May 2009
    One AT rocket by itself isn't enough to kill an attack helo, but if it's taken any incidental damage at all the crew will only have three or four seconds at most to bail before it goes up in a ball of flames of its own accord.

The best way to deal with tanks is to pretend to be spec-ops, and make like you're planting C4 on it, so the driver hops out and you're all 'psych' and jump in yourself

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    AT missiles are more like flareguns to alert tanks to your presence
    True they should have been a little more powerful and you should have had more ammo but if you learned to use them they were deadly. If you shot the top of a tank it was two hits I think (or was it 3...its been so long) so I eventually got good enough to be able to shoot straight at a tank, raise and then drop the missile ontop of it killing it in two hits. Also shots to the front of the treads and the rear of the tank were two hits. The treads are actually a pretty easy shot if you are on even or lower terrain which is usually a horrible spot for AT. Humvees were easy kills, one shot to the engine and its done.

If you shot the helicopter pilot it would kill in one hit too, and on blackhawks there was a spot on a tire that would blow it up in one shot. That or you aim at the bottom of the pilots seat and it kills him. Jets taking off were always one hit, but once they were off they are near impossible to hit. I think I shot down a jet once like that and I tried a lot. Infantry was easy kills too, and they can't be revived from a rocket. It was probably the best anti infantry gun in the game after the 203 got nerfed. Being able to pick off infantry from a distance without being a pansy sniper is great. Oh I almost forgot boats, best free points in the game for the AT class.

I remember before TV missiles were nerfed people would just hover in their base way away from the action and they would be taking out everything on the map. I forget the range but you could spawn camp the enemy helos from very far away.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2009
    ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED

Goddamn, I really want to hop in an Apache and circle-strafe some tanks. I hope some dudes will be willing to play with me come next Thursday.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Do you guys have any tips on playing as anti tank? What are some good spots to hit on tanks and APCs?

NickTheNewbie on
    edited May 2009
    My tip for AT: Don't bother unless you're in a squad with an ammo spammer. It's actually my favorite class but I never get to play it since people suck at basic teamwork.

Strikor on
    edited May 2009
    Do you guys have any tips on playing as anti tank? What are some good spots to hit on tanks and APCs?
    I think APCs are 2-3 hits no matter what. Tanks you want to either hit the rear, the top or the front part of the treads that slopes up all of those are two hits. If you can't hit that then aim for the side which is 3 hits I think, the front is five hits so never shoot the front unless you have to (either it is about to die or is taking a lot of fire or is about to kill you). If an APC pops smoke just aim high because they usually back up and you should hit them, if they do come at you after smoke then they are stupid and are about to die. Get good at controlling the missile, it can drop pretty quick.

The easiest way to hit a moving target that is not coming straight at or away from you is to guess where it will be in how many seconds you think it will take the missile to travel to it, if you are not sure always aim further than you think you have to since if the missile is shot too close you will never catch back up to a vehicle going away from it. I forget, I think the missile sounds an alarm for the vehicle so they know they are locked on right? I can not remember but for some reason I got good enough with the missiles where I wouldn't even aim at the vehicle until the last second to drop the missile ontop of them. That works great for almost any vehicle and it is the best way to hit those tiny US buggies, same with boats.

The ammo thing is pretty true but if you play more defensivley it is not a problem. An example would be Dragon Valley. You can pick off vehicles from pretty much any of the bases so you can really get some good map control down while being near ammo. Do not be afraid to go on the offensive either though just do not get caught out in the open against anything since AT is at a disadvantage against infantry.

Fizban140 on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Strikor wrote: »
    Have you tried some of the infantry only servers? True it doesn't solve the running issue but at least you wouldn't have the jet spam.

Whats this, you say? 24/7 strike on Karkand?

God I hated TF2. BFV got the vehicle balance right, and spawned enough of them for the whole map.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the tip. jesus christ I can't wait to get an awesome squad together.

NickTheNewbie on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Strikor wrote: »

Infantry only, 64 players, Small (16 player) map size. Its fun until someone starts spamming the nades.

I recommend just avoiding maps with planes/runways. Also, I typically have better experiences playing on SF servers instead of vanilla BF2.

Oh, another good tip: if there are enough players from PA, use Ventrilo and/or Xfire to coordinate getting a squad together on the same server. I should be getting back into this in the next couple weeks, and would love to play with friends, not unreliable pubbers.
    Jesuits wrote: »
    I hope some dudes will be willing to play with me come next Thursday.

I should be available.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    anyone up for playing 1.5 sometime today?

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited May 2009
    It's not just Karkand but unsurprisingly a lot of the servers stick to it. Apparently they added some no vehicles variable a bunch of patches back.

Try this link if you're interested. You could also just fire up the server list and look for the ones that say infantry only.

Strikor on
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So have the changes to AA made it so jets cant just afterburn faster then the missiles? Also the notes say they changed the hit box. Does this mean I no longer have to worry about sitting somewhere with my sniper reticle on someones head and take three shots to actually hit the guy? Is there still alot of head shot bot users?

I know this sounds like Im bitching but I truely enjoyed this game. Have not played in a while as my friends all moved on to 2142, but nothing ever gave me the same high as BF2. My only complaint solid complaint was the lack of servers running the expansion maps. I really enjoyed the nightime maps bu have only seen them maybe a handfull of times.

SkannerJAT on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nah, I can't play BF 2 without wishing I was playing BFV instead. Its more my style, with more stealth, sneaking, and commando action. Plus, custom soundtracks and a great basic soundtrack.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited May 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I think APCs are 2-3 hits no matter what. Tanks you want to either hit the rear, the top or the front part of the treads that slopes up all of those are two hits. If you can't hit that then aim for the side which is 3 hits I think, the front is five hits so never shoot the front unless you have to (either it is about to die or is taking a lot of fire or is about to kill you). If an APC pops smoke just aim high because they usually back up and you should hit them, if they do come at you after smoke then they are stupid and are about to die. Get good at controlling the missile, it can drop pretty quick.

The easiest way to hit a moving target that is not coming straight at or away from you is to guess where it will be in how many seconds you think it will take the missile to travel to it, if you are not sure always aim further than you think you have to since if the missile is shot too close you will never catch back up to a vehicle going away from it. I forget, I think the missile sounds an alarm for the vehicle so they know they are locked on right? I can not remember but for some reason I got good enough with the missiles where I wouldn't even aim at the vehicle until the last second to drop the missile ontop of them. That works great for almost any vehicle and it is the best way to hit those tiny US buggies, same with boats.

The ammo thing is pretty true but if you play more defensivley it is not a problem. An example would be Dragon Valley. You can pick off vehicles from pretty much any of the bases so you can really get some good map control down while being near ammo. Do not be afraid to go on the offensive either though just do not get caught out in the open against anything since AT is at a disadvantage against infantry.

none of this is obvious in the game and I still don't call oddly proportioned hitboxes a good gameplay mechanic.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The AT's shotgun is the best weapon in the game.

Rockets are also the best long range weapon. I love blowing this shit out of snipers with them.

Hell, AT is the best class in the whole game. I would be playing this right now if I had my gaming pc with me.

wakkawa on
    edited May 2009
    I like the anti material rifle when it goes weird and blows up a jeep with a single shot. otherwise its not very anti material at all

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited May 2009
    man I wish I could take the bison all the time on AT. sure it's a shitty gun, but its an awesome shitty gun, and I want to use it when I'm not playing mec.

acidlacedpenguin on
    edited May 2009
    Talking of hit boxes, yesterday I was playing and shot a guy three times in the head (using the L96) who was standing still and not far away and I didn't get so much as a puff of smoke. Nice to see they fixed the hit boxes...

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    edited May 2009
    In a game as fast and laggy as battlefield, I've abandoned headshots and just stick to center of mass.

NickTheNewbie on
    edited May 2009
    Is anyone else able to play online at the moment? I just tried connecting, my server list is empty and in the recently played servers it wouldn't connect to any and then they just disappeared.

EDIT:

Bad news

Surely there must be some legal recourse EA can take against these cock bites who create the hacks in the first place? Didn't Blizzard do something like that?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Surely there must be some legal recourse EA can take against these cock bites who create the hacks in the first place? Didn't Blizzard do something like that?

Blizz gives a shit about the players, though.

Kreutz on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That video makes me not want to re-install Battlefield 2 for the 1.5 patch. How bad is the hacking? Am I going to find these jerks in every game if I do re-install?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166