As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MP Says Foreigners Can STFU

GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
edited March 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I picked up a local paper in passing today. It was from a few days ago. Front page has this Member of Parliament talking about how foreign workers on the island should stay out of local politics. This comment came after several people had made comments against the recent removal of a foreign worker on the island being removed due to an incident with another MP. In any case, here's a link to the article. And here's a link to my open letter in response to the article. I'd like to hear further discussion on the matter.

Grifter on

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    And?

Most groups of any large size have lobbies to replace their need to vote anyways.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's not a matter of voting. It's a matter of a person with a differing opinion being forced to leave the country.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Your title mentions "STFU", not "GTFO."

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If I'm reading this correctly this guy got into a fight with the client and was dismissed from the job. No longer under contract to provide construction services in Bermuda, his visa was rendered invalid.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    He wasn't dismissed from his job. His work permit was revoked after the incident with the MP on the job site.

Grifter on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    He wasn't dismissed from his job. His work permit was revoked after the incident with the MP on the job site.

I'm not making the meaningful distinction here. Its not like he was a tourist who got kicked out of the country for talking bad about the government. He was a construction site manager who mouthed off to this Bermuda Industrial Union chief and got told he couldn't work there anymore.

Which is not to say that using your professional authority for personal reasons isn't abusing that authority. It is, but to me this feels on par with granting your idiot brother-in-law a favor. Maybe a factor or two worse because the guy 'didn't know who Scott was'.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think the larger point here is that Derrick Burgess is now saying that foreign workers should not speak up against the Bermuda government and that if they do they should be removed from the island. I think he makes that point fairly clear.

I'm sure the construction worker made a few mistakes in his scenario but what Burgess is conveying is just outrageous. Denying a person the freedom to voice an opinion simply because they aren't born in the country just feels all kinds of wrong. I'm pretty sure that if I was working in the US and made disparaging things remarks about George W. Bush that I would not be kicked out of the country.

In any case, the circumstances of the worker's incident don't concern me much. Perhaps he was a complete asshat to the man. It doesn't change the fact that there was a gross misuse of political power. That concerns me much more than "Jethro" mouthing off a bit.

Grifter on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    How do I put this...

Exactly how much should an official who is in power at the behest of the citizenry give a rat's ass about the opinions of people who are NOT of the citizenry?

While, clearly, he's being an absolute arrogant ass, he owes no duty to anyone who isn't actually a member of his locality.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    He has a duty to uphold the laws, which the government in general has a duty to uphold as well. He is a member of the cabinet. Our constitution holds that if anyone is found guilty of interfering with the free exercise of a person's political right can be jailed. He's put the government into disrepute.

You're right, he shouldn't care about the opinions of people who don't have a say on whether he stays in office or not. So, why is he caring so much about whether or not a foreigner expresses an opinion on Bermudian politics?

The other matter at hand is that he is the Minister of Labour and Immigration. His statements have given local businesses broad powers of dismissal since what he says is basically policy. If an employee doesn't agree with company policy then he thinks they should be dismissed and a company could very well do that whether they're Bermudian or foreign according to him. Sorry if that just doesn't sit right with me. I like my freedom to say that I have a better way to handle business to my boss and not be afraid of being fired.

Grifter on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Grifter wrote: »
    He has a duty to uphold the laws, which the government in general has a duty to uphold as well. He is a member of the cabinet. Our constitution holds that if anyone is found guilty of interfering with the free exercise of a person's political right can be jailed. He's put the government into disrepute.

Your constitution rather explicitly states that an individual can waive his right to free expression. You should probably check the documents that foreign workers have to sign in order to be granted the privilige of working in Bermuda and see what rights they have signed away before you go off half cocked about how the government has violated those rights.

Also, when I read your letter, this made me giggle.
    How can you say that a person cannot have an opinion that opposes the governments' simply because they do not hold citizenship in this country? One would truly have to believe that they are second class citizens to treat temporary foreign employees in such a way.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill