As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name That Film! [Found - "Ryan"]

BoomShakeBoomShake The EngineerColumbia, MDRegistered User regular
edited May 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
From what I've seen, you guys are great at figuring out films for people.

For context, I watched Waking Life last night and it reminded me of this scene from somewhere I can't remember.

I think it was 3d animated or rotoscoped or something. These two guys are talking across from each other at a table in some public place, like a cafeteria. They were having a pretty deep conversation about life, possibly also work and retirement. I think one was an old artist. The artist (?) guy's head is disintegrating throughout the conversation, looking a lot like an apple core. I think some of the other people in there had trippy stuff going on with them as well time progressed.

I can't for the life of me remember where it's from. I'm pretty sure it was part of an actual film, but there's a nonzero probability it was something online. Sorry for being so vague.

BoomShake on

• rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    A Scanner Darkly? Sounds like the diner scene in the beginning.

rocketshipready on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yea, I scanned (har har) through A Scanner Darkly and couldn't find it. I know the scene you're talking about, but that's not it. From what I remember, it was more of a white school-type cafeteria.

BoomShake on
  • RericReric Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I feel like I have seen the movie you are talking about. I want to say it was a documentary on some artist/animator. Driving me crazy now that I can't recall. The animator may have done some animations of people walking?

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Yea, I scanned (har har) through A Scanner Darkly and couldn't find it. I know the scene you're talking about, but that's not it. From what I remember, it was more of a white school-type cafeteria.

Was it maybe the scene towards the end in the treatment facility?

Sir Carcass on
  • RericReric Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Booyah I found it! The video you are talking about is Ryan, video can be found here

Reric on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Reric wrote: »
    I feel like I have seen the movie you are talking about. I want to say it was a documentary on some artist/animator. Driving me crazy now that I can't recall. The animator may have done some animations of people walking?

YES! Thank you for saying DOCUMENTARY. With some further searching with that, I have found it!

Ryan
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Ryan is a 2004 animated documentary by Chris Landreth about the influential Canadian animator Ryan Larkin, who in later years lived on skid row in Montreal following a history of drug and alcohol abuse.
    Ryan_DVD.jpg

Edit: Beat me to it :P

BoomShake on
This discussion has been closed.