As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Art of War: The answer is always... tentacle pink!

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Critical Failures
dsc_0001pqcz.jpg
(Picture not done by forum users)

A lot of tabletop games involve the use of miniatures or other play aids (hand-made dungeons, illustrations, paintings, etc), and this is the thread for them. Herein we talk shop about the full gauntlet of tabletop hobby activities: modelling, painting, sculpting, converting, and many more I am certain I have forgotten. Do not be afraid to ask questions! We all started horribly, and we have no problem letting you know our secret painting methods(in turn, making them not so secret).

There are some great sites out there for painters, converters, etc. While I am not personally big on using them, I know a lot of people do. Feel free to let me know any other sites you know, I'll throw them into this post!

http://www.brushthralls.com/ - A long time favorite of many of the users on these forums, filled with good tutorials

www.dakkadakka.com - While its more community than anything else, the modeling and painting forums are a great place to get advice on things.

In this thread, a number of questions come up often about certain aspects of painting, so this is a small F.A.Q. for questions you have. If any of our regular viewers would like to add to this, just let me know!
Q: I see these beautiful models people post, so why do my models come out so much worse?
A: This is a hard question to answer, although part of it may just be you being critical of your own models. However, there are a few things that mini painters tend to all do, that highly increase the looks of their miniatures. First, you should always use primer on your models, whether plastic or metal. There are black and white primers, as well as coloured ones, such as red and green. I prefer white, but many people swear by the others. Experiment!

From there, it generally goes to base coating, which is what most people think at "painting". This is getting the main colours on parts. For example, you would be putting blue paint mainly on an ultramarine, with gold on certain parts, etcetera. This is also a good place to mention that you should generally water down your paints, especially if you use the main citadel line of paints. Just a few drops of water will really help getting the basecoats done.

The next two steps can be done interchangably, though I prefer to highlight before washing. So highlighting. This is just the practice of painting lighter colours on the raised parts and hard edges of a miniature. For example, lets take an imperial double eagle(the one with the two wings and two heads). Lets say this was painted with boltgun silver. You might, then, use mithril silver with a small brush to paint the edges of the feathers. This helps the model really pop, and look more striking.

Washing is the other step here. A wash is a heavily watered down paint, meant to pool in the recesses of a model to create shading and depth. The citadel washes are amazing, quite simply. They just work. Badab black will work in 90% of cases, though devlan mud has its place, and the other colors as well.

Q: Ohh no, I hate how this model came out. Should I just repaint over it?
A: No, that would really kill a lot of the detail. Models are not very hard to strip! Simple green is the commonly used solution to strip a model of paint. Just leave your models submerged in simple green for at least an hour(overnight works better), and take a toothbrush to them to get off the paint afterwards(You probably dont want to use the toothbrush on your teeth later). Acetone can work for metal models, but be careful to make sure they don't have plastic parts; Acetone will eat plastic.

Q: Do I have to use GW's paints?
A: No, although you probably want to use miniature paints of some sort. These include Citadel, Vallejo, Reaper, P3, and other paints. Make sure its a paint meant for miniatures, and that its acrylic, water based paint.

We've been blessed with some incredible work shown off in the thread. Here is but a taste of some of the pieces of art we saw in the last thread:

squad2.jpg
-SPI-'s Marines

venny_final.jpg
Dareth's Space Wolves

Thunderboltpainted.jpg
Timspork's Imperial Guard. I'm totally not biased by showing this aircraft. Honest.

IMG_1353.jpg
We always gotta give CMDante props with his conversions

fex23.jpg
Asher's Tyranids

big_mek_11_20090302_1481346490.jpg
Sharp's orks.

Picture-272.jpg
Matrius Space Wolves

10thCommissar.jpg
Unarmed Oracle's IG

stormz70.jpg
Ein's orks

wrekkakan21.jpg
Ein gets two. Because holy crap look at this kan.

sm.jpg
Weeshuggy's elves.
PBSthemoreyouknow009.jpg
Some of my own guardsmen. I don't think its horrible :/

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like this photo better:
    fex26.jpg

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Actually, Baal red is a pretty terrible wash to use for blood angels. One of the tricks to using washes is that in general, using a wash that's the same shade as your primary color is note going to do very much. They're too similar. One of the browns, or even the black tends to work better with shades of red. I use the brown washes to shade green models, like my kroot. The green wash just makes them look very, very green. Another example, I painted the railgun Astronomican grey, and then used an uneven Asurman Blue wash to make it look mottled, like it has current coruscating through there, or something.
    Ohh, I agree, and I use black wash on my red guardsmen. Still, sometimes proper color-on-color can work out pretty well. I mainly said that to promote experimentation, as you might prefer the more muted look of color-on-color, or the more drastic look of black-on-everything.
    Yeah, you want the same or a complimentary hue for all your washes, but if you're shading, you will want (naturally) a darker shade of that hue (brown for red, sepia for yellow etc.) but you can get good use out of washes that are the same shade as your base, mostly for knocking back highlights. If, for example, you take your edge-highlights too far, you can make it look a lot less harsh with a nice wash.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1:
    Who didn't cover their first model in badly painted blood and gore?
    I didn't. My first two models ever were a pair of tastefully done black orc boys. I did, on the other hand, paint them using enamel paint. :P
    2:
    Asher wrote: »
    I like this photo better:
    fex26.jpg
    Oh sweet holy jesus fuck I need a clean pair of shorts.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    POAsT

(need my dot)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1:
    Who didn't cover their first model in badly painted blood and gore?
    I didn't. My first two models ever were a pair of tastefully done black orc boys. I did, on the other hand, paint them using enamel paint. :P

I think the first thing I ever painted was a skeleton from Hero Quest. The plastic was an off-white colour anyway, so I just put silver on the scythe and splotches of red for the blood.
    I used enamel paint, of course.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm actually thinking of stripping my first painted nids at this point due to how much better I know I can make them now.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Asher wrote: »

I do too, but big picture is big :P

Raslin on

• Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking of stripping my first painted nids at this point due to how much better I know I can make them now.

You should do it

But if you fail I will log in to my characters on Sargeras and harass you to no end :)

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My models didn't make it to the first post :'<

I'll start posting my in progress Iyanden wraithlord and stuff, before I strip it since I'm not so sure about the colourscheme anymore

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My first models were shiny and colorful.

They were high elves.

admanb on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ahhh the glory days of enamel paint

oh no wait, enamel paint was awful

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still have my first model sitting on my shelf. It was that old Orc Warlord on foot from that expansion box for Fantasy Battle whose name I can't remember. If I had a camera I'd post some pics for you duders.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    To answer a couple things:

1. I went through all hundred pages of the old thread, looking for pictures. I skimmed heavily. If I didn't get you, chances are I just missed it in my skimming. I also tried to keep it small, so if it didn't catch my eye quickly, I skipped it(especially if it was in a spoiler, or the image was dead). I'm not saying you're bad painters :P

2. My thread title is trying to encourage discussion... and a way to blue-dot without blue-dotting ;)

Raslin on

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think the OP could do with some Katchem_Ash stuff though. That or Doctor Thunder's marines.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think the OP could do with some Katchem_Ash stuff though. That or Doctor Thunder's marines.

The original prototype of the new thread did, and they were excellent additions! However, I remembered that I only posted stuff which was new in the last thread(As I want to encourage painting, and not showing off old masterpieces), so sadly I had to take them out. As well as a small piece of my heart :(

Raslin on

• Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blood and gore... no. Gloss Testors Enamel... unfortunately yes.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Editted the title for all you enamel-ers :P

I actually started painting with acrylics... but normal acrylics, not miniature acrylic. Needless to say, my models looked like they were painted with melted crayons.

Anyways, lets kick off the thread with some art! My counts-as guardsmen Marbo. Originally meant to be a veteran with demo charge, I decided vets with demolitions weren't very good, so... Marbo.

Marbo1.jpg
    Marbo2.jpg
    Marbo3.jpg

Raslin on

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That... that is interesting.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    what the holy fuck is going on with that mini? great paint job, i'm just confused as to wtf he's humping

drama_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Makeshift demo charge :P

Raslin on

• Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Woo! I made the OP!

Bad news: I wound up taking a disliking to that paint scheme and the lot (with the exception of the Commissar and Psyker, who I imagine are getting to be old hats wrt all these guardsmen coming and going) went into Simple Green.

Good news: now that school has eased into a rhythm I should be able to start painting again soon. I have an infantry platoon assembled, mostly based and ready for primer. Hopefully I'll be able to maek poast soon.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    oakloreoaklore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Are there any tricks to painting eyes? (on space marines)

I keep hitting spots I dont want to hit.

oaklore on
    orbit.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    oaklore wrote: »
    Are there any tricks to painting eyes? (on space marines)

I keep hitting spots I dont want to hit.

This!
    SJ wrote: »
    Nax wrote: »
    2. I used to hate eyes too, until I started painting them first, and then painting the helmet red. The eyes are pretty recessed, so its easy to not accidentally get red in them, and you paint over any of the sloppy areas where you accidentally put the eye colored paint.

Quotin' dis times like a billion

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man! I'm in the OP! Twice!
    for anyone here who hasn't figured it out yet, both those Space Wolves models in the OP belong to me. I ditched my old account when it looked like a certain popular RTS community was stalking my posts

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Holy shit, I had no idea.

I was wondering why you hadn't been around :P

Raslin on

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Welp I figure I might as well post my progress on my army as pitiful as it is.

As I mentioned in another thread. I'm shooting for a legion of the damned army ever since I heard the LoTD were going to be elite choices in the new Marine Dex.

I have now since realized that it probably was a horrible mistake to pick a color scheme as painful to paint as individual flames on legplates and shoulderpads (shudder)

Nevertheless, I'm soldiering on and desperately trying to get better. Here are some pics of my first couple of tac Marines and some "zombiefied" scouts.

Also, segway....I'm looking into buying an airbrush/compressor kit, are the ones on ebay worth the coin or should I just not bother?

T3H PICS!

Overview (It has since gotten bigger than this...oh gods, I need to stay away from freaking ebay...)
    38340_sm-1st%20Army%2C%20Army%2C%20Legion%20Of%20The%20Damned%2C%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Work%20In%20Progress.jpg

My First Sergeant
    38358_sm-My%20First%20Sergeant.%20.jpg

Shots of the Tac Squad
    38354_sm-Another%20angle.jpg
    38355_sm-More%20Troops.jpg
    38353_sm-My%20First%20Created%20Squad.jpg

[
    38356_sm-Moar%21.jpg

And my Zombiefied Scouts
    38477_sm-The%20Zombie%20Scouts.JPG
    38479_sm-Rusty%20Rifles.JPG
    38482_sm-More%20Angles%2C%20and%20the%20Rocket%20Launcher.JPG
    38480_sm-The%20Other%20Sergeant%20and%20some%20quick%20conversions.JPG

And there we go!

I definitely need to work on my highlighting among other things, my colors keep getting muddied up and I always am hesitant with proceeding with new layers and whatnot. But mainly the flames and the glowing red eyes for the marines are my biggest enemies. I can't seem to replicate pulsing, flaming eyes and flames reliably and quick enough for my troops.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Take your time, it's not a race unless you're cruising down the track of "horribly rushed paintjobs" which seems to be a never ending competition, and there are no winners.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Holy shit, I had no idea.

I was wondering why you hadn't been around :P

this!

Nax on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to try and paint more, and also post more pictures. Hopefully one will feed into the other.
    Anyway, here's what I'm working on at the moment.
    Work in progress shot of some Noise Marines
    NoisemarineWIP1.jpg

Despite a fondness for vehicles, I'm still pretty intimidated by painting them. The purple on my marines comes from washes, which really wouldn't translate well to the large flat surfaces of tanks, which doesn't help.
    I've decided to try my hand at some blending though. What do you think?
    RhinoWIP1.jpg

Dayspring on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    that looks really nice. it's very stylized, with a touch of creepiness at the same time. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The blending on the doors looks great! The transition is very subtle, and actually quite pretty, if I can use that word. I love the tentacles -- very Jhonen Vasquez. How did you do it?

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dig those tentacles.

This weekend I plan on finishing off my first three longbeards. I don't hate them, but I think they'll likely be the ugliest of the bunch. I'll probably do a dwarf Runesmith before I do another batch of three longbeards. Since my wife's new digital camera is awesome, expect some pictures.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks guys!
    Creepy/stylised is basically exactly what I was going for, so it's good to hear that's what it invokes.
    It's Hormagaunt purple blended up to Space Wolves grey, with pure hormagaunt purple swirls painted on once it's dry.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dayspring - You bringing those overseas? :P

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I'm going to try and paint more, and also post more pictures. Hopefully one will feed into the other.
    Anyway, here's what I'm working on at the moment.
    Work in progress shot of some Noise Marines
    [IM]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Dayspring83/minis/NoisemarineWIP1.jpg[/IMG]

Despite a fondness for vehicles, I'm still pretty intimidated by painting them. The purple on my marines comes from washes, which really wouldn't translate well to the large flat surfaces of tanks, which doesn't help.
    I've decided to try my hand at some blending though. What do you think?
    [IM]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/Dayspring83/minis/RhinoWIP1.jpg[/IMG]

I like them day! The only thing I can comment on is, the black really doesn't pop at all. Even just some slight highlighting on the most extreme parts would do wonders.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Man, I'd love to bring an army over for some kind of PA throw down. Transporting it would be way too much effort though :P

@Raslin yup! The black is just undercoated right now, it'll be getting some highlights sooner or later

Dayspring on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I'd love to bring an army over for some kind of PA throw down. Transporting it would be way too much effort though :P

@Raslin yup! The black is just undercoated right now, it'll be getting some highlights sooner or later

Damn Raslin. That is some egg on your face right there.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'm sure a GW Case would survive as checked baggage...

We need to have a Nurgle VS Slaanesh Throwdown! :D

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Damn man, it's tempting...
    Maybe i'll have a go and see if how many guys would fit in the bottom of my hand luggage.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    :D

I can bring you up to my Local GW and we can duke it out

:D

Sharp101 on
This discussion has been closed.