As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The most important books you've ever read

ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've read a handful of amazing books that are very important in the field they exist in. I want more. MOOOORE I SAY! I'm interested in books on damned near anything, but I do have some things I'm particularly interested in right now.
Game design (rules, not code)
Art
Performance theory
Science, be it history of, theoretical, whatever.
Management
Non-profit business

Here is what I've read and why its so important.

Theatre
Truth in Comedy - An introductory guide to improvisation as art leading up to long form performances. It's pretty basic, but it covers some very important ground work that should always be known.
Funniest One In The Room - A biography on Del Close, one of the three pillars of improv, that does the best job I've seen of not only breaking down the man but also really touches on the importance he thought his work had. As close to inspirational I've seen if this is your field.
Impro - Keith Johnstone, a second pillar of improv, wrote this book on improvisation years ago and approaches it from a more theatrical side than Del Close did; includes mask work.
The Moving Body - Jacque le Coq's book detailing his work in movement theatre, pulling from clowning history and pushing it forward towards use as a modern technique. He had a background in sports so his approach to the kinesthetics is very personal.

Business/Management
How to Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie's book on management and human interaction. It's been one of the most important books for 50ish years for a reason.

What phenomenal life changing books should I read next? I've thought about Origin of Species and The Universe in a Nut Shell but thought I'd make this thread first. I seem to be mostly interested in non-fiction. I've an itch to start tackling Random House's 100 most important novels of the 20th century, but not enough to actually start yet.

Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
Improvolone on

• Options
    Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I recently read "The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution" by Richard Dawkins. Up till I read that I had been at least somewhat religious. Boy that guy's a damn genius! I been thinking about delving into some of his previous books too.

Reservoir Angel on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
    QED - Richard Feynman
    Steps to an Ecology of Mind - Gregory Bateson

admanb on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm, an interesting help subject if there ever was one, but broad to be sure.

I can't think of any true "life changing" books that I've read, either non fiction or fiction, each is wonderful and valuable in it's own way, and what you get from a book is really dependent on your own disposition too.

I will say though that I recently read an extremely well written and researched biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer called "An American Prometheus". Absolutely turned my understanding of and opinion of the dawn of nuclear technology and the eventual cold war on its head. I highly recommend it if you're at all interested in atomic science and the nasty politics and paranoia of the 1950's red scare.

I also read a really wonderful essay by David Foster Wallace on television, that though a bit dated, had some intriguing and well though out opinions, again radically changing my opinion and understanding of television as a cultural phenomenon. It was called "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction", and you can find it in a collection of his other essays called "A Supposedly Fun Thing I Will Never Do Again."

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    River of out Eden - Richard Dawkins (Science/Evolution)
    The Dragons of Eden - Carl Sagan (Science/Evolution/Nueroscience)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Mazer RackhamMazer Rackham __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    The Bible.

Mazer Rackham on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Art:
    Art and Illusion, H.R. Gombrich
    Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Betty Edwards
    Art Through the Ages, Gardner (if you've ever taken any intro art history class and you don't own this book, your professor is just full of wrong. There is no comparable art history resource.)

Science:
    A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson. I may have gotten the title slightly wrong. Funny funny.
    The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, Thomas S. Kuhn. Really lovely.

Finance:
    Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Richard Kyanka

Psychology:
    Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

If I look around at my scattered books I can probably find more on art/science/design. If you're interested in biographies of great artists, I don't know of anything that does a better job than Irving Stone's The Agony and the Ecstasy, all about Michelangelo. Hope that keeps you entertained for a bit.

The Cow on
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Health/Fitness:
    The Art of Expressing the Human Body, by Bruce Lee

Great fitness training book, as well as general health book. Bruce Lee was the master on keeping his body in the peak of physical condition, and the book really gives you a deep look into his training program as well as his meal plans and general health tips.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Bible.

Yeah, regardless of what I think of it now, I can't argue that the Bible has probably had more influence on my early life than any other book.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Cow wrote: »
    Science:
    A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson. I may have gotten the title slightly wrong. Funny funny.
    I came to recommend this. I am currently reading it. It's pretty much the history of science and nearly everything (whoa). It's all present in a very easy to read and understand format. It also has a full on bibliography, or whatever those things are called, in the back; so if you're all like 'that shit fascinates me' and you want find out more about it just turn to the back and BAM! you got the info you need to sate your fascination.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guns, Germs and Steel was pretty cool.

Non-Zero was good when I read it, but it comes across kind of played out now given the raft of pop game theory books.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Jared Diamond is a chore and a half to read.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Business/Management:
    How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
    The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking by Dale Carnegie
    Getting Things Done by David Allen
    The Effective Executive by Peter Drucker
    Say it with Charts! The Executive's Guide to Visual Communication
    Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+ by John Lucht
    The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman

All of these books had a major impact on my career.

Serpent on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid sounds like something which would be right up your alley.

It's a book about how consciousness can arise in levels via self-reference, delving into how self-reference exists in mathematical systems (Godel's incompleteness theorem), Artwork (MC Escher's work), and music (Bach). It eventually evolves into a discussion about artificial intelligence and how to apply it to computers (which is interesting to read in modern days, as the novel was published 20 years ago, and much of what he talks about remains applicable in that "just out of reach" sense).

Jragghen on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You are the third person to recommend this.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    The Cow wrote: »
    Science:
    I came to recommend this. I am currently reading it. It's pretty much the history of science and nearly everything (whoa). It's all present in a very easy to read and understand format. It also has a full on bibliography, or whatever those things are called, in the back; so if you're all like 'that shit fascinates me' and you want find out more about it just turn to the back and BAM! you got the info you need to sate your fascination.

And the book is pretty hilarious at times. Bill Bryson is an excellent author. I highly recommend this one as well.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    StormCrow420StormCrow420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adamns
    The Power of Myth, Joseph Cambell w/ Bill Moyers
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence, Robert M. Pirsig

Dale Carnegie FTW.

StormCrow420 on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Most Important Books I've Ever Read:

On Perspective and Destiny:
    The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
    Good Omens - Neil Gaiman
    The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway
    All three are must reads before you die. You won't regret any of them and you'll walk away a wiser person for it.

On Philosophy and Control:
    The Art of War - Sun Tsu
    The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi
    Both offer amazing insight in how to manage, and not manage, your life.

Art and Design:
    The Design of Everyday Things
    - Donald Norman
    Really the only book you ever need to read if you plan on creating things.

Enc on
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ooh, i'd definitely recommend Bad Science, by Ben Goldacre!

Features stunning examples of how stuff pretending to be scientific can actually be anything but science, yet gains credence in the popular eye nonetheless. It's entertaining, easy to digest, thought-provoking, and at the same time, fucking chilling to the bone. Some of the stuff that people, who pretend to be 'experts', can get away with is mindblowing.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    13 Things that Don't Make Sense

I found this one to be pretty interesting for science (sorta) related things. It basically rambles through 13 modern "mysteries" of life. Fun stuff, and cheap too!

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. People tend to think of it as a children's book for some reason, but I've never thought that. It is the only book that has ever made me cry, and it just made me look at life differently. I don't want to grow up to be some serious, unimaginative and completely grey person, ignoring the little things, because they're so beautiful and so very important.

If you're going to get it, get a big, hardcover, colour version so you can actually enjoy the author's illustrations alongside the story.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Science:
    Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica, by Isaac Newton.

The foundation of classical mechanics, and inarguably the most important work in science ever.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    ZeitgeistHeistZeitgeistHeist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Varieties of Religious Experience- William James. It puts religion in a psychological context, and has been consistently in most-influential-books lists for some decades now.

ZeitgeistHeist on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Carl Sagan. Dr. Sagan at his finest, teaching us how to use Science as a tool for debunking craziness and to be better critical thinkers.

The Evolution of Useful Things, Henry Petroski. Ever wonder why a paperclip looks like it does? How about a fork? Petroski has a knack for making mundane, everyday things interesting by showing their history.

Patriotism, Yukio Mishima. It's not what you think.

Usagi on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cannery Row changed my perspective on literature a great deal. It is a really simple read.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

Jared Diamond is a chore and a half to read.

I had the audiobook on my ipod. I had to stop listening to it in the car because the cadence was putting me to sleep.

So fucking interesting though.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, Carl Sagan. Dr. Sagan at his finest, teaching us how to use Science as a tool for debunking craziness and to be better critical thinkers.

Oh baby, you know what I like.

This book, right here, I get for everyone.

It's one of the most influential books in my life.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Managing a Non-Profit in the 21st Century, by Thomas Wolf. It is a primer, full of basic information, but a solid one. Contains good information about setting up a non-profit, and the function of the board. By no means is it one of the most important books I've ever read, but it is an important one on its particular subject.

Saddler on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

Oh baby, you know what I like.

This book, right here, I get for everyone.

It's one of the most influential books in my life.

I knew you couldn't be far behind when I mentioned DHW! I also buy this and occasionally Patriotism, depending on the audience.

Usagi on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    O'Conner's Texas Rules - Civil Trials.

Word.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This!

Also, the first book of his that I read was Cosmos and it changed my life.

Red Rover on
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
  • Options
    donkyhotaydonkyhotay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Many of the books mentioned so far are pretty good and important but I'm amazed no one has yet posted:

Animal farm

Fahrenheit 451

These books go into the importance of influential books themselves and how they allow us to think and learn for ourselves. If you ignore the lessons of these books then all the good stuff people have mentioned in every other book listed will eventually become 'badthink' and no longer influential.

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    donkyhotay wrote: »
    Many of the books mentioned so far are pretty good and important but I'm amazed no one has yet posted:

Animal farm

Fahrenheit 451

These books go into the importance of influential books themselves and how they allow us to think and learn for ourselves. If you ignore the lessons of these books then all the good stuff people have mentioned in every other book listed will eventually become 'badthink' and no longer influential.

True, but its likely because the OP is looking for books on the following subjects:
    Art
    Performance theory
    Science, be it history of, theoretical, whatever.
    Management
    Non-profit business

Enc on
  • Options
    donkyhotaydonkyhotay Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suppose it's a matter of what you're interested in. I'm personally concerned about freedom of speech and our right to read so for me the most influential (and IMHO important) books are those that deal with those topics. On the other hand I have little interest in:

Art
    Performance theory
    Management
    Non-profit business

So I have never read a book about those topics I would consider really influential. For science I have read a few (including "a brief history of time") but most of those have already been mentioned and didn't influence me nearly as much as the ones I posted above. Really, influential books are more about the reader then the book itself. I mean, you could argue "mein kampf" as one of the most influential books of the century however I doubt anyone would consider influential now, or influential in a good way.

donkyhotay on
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Although it's about linguistics and not the things that you mentioned, I would strongly recommend American Tongue and Cheek: A Populist Guide to Our Language by Jim Quinn. It debunks a lot of language myths and discusses sociolinguistics in a way that is incredibly accessible and enjoyable. If you've ever wondered why you were told not to say "ain't" in elementary school or you want to learn why people who attempt to correct "I could care less" are assholes, this is the book for you.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    donkyhotay wrote: »
    I suppose it's a matter of what you're interested in. I'm personally concerned about freedom of speech and our right to read so for me the most influential (and IMHO important) books are those that deal with those topics. On the other hand I have little interest in:

Art
    Performance theory
    Management
    Non-profit business

So I have never read a book about those topics I would consider really influential. For science I have read a few (including "a brief history of time") but most of those have already been mentioned and didn't influence me nearly as much as the ones I posted above. Really, influential books are more about the reader then the book itself. I mean, you could argue "mein kampf" as one of the most influential books of the century however I doubt anyone would consider influential now, or influential in a good way.

ok thanks.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure if they're really what you are looking for, but all of Robert Caro's books are pretty profound.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Republic and Beyond Good and Evil.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular