As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Ghost Master-Set 2-Restless in Calamity

XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Let's Play!

Ghost_master_box.jpg

*Lights black out*

*A flash light beam illuminates Xtarath's face*

Good evening boys and ghouls*, muwhahahaha! Welcome to this, being my first screen shot Let's Play! I will have the honor(more like horror!) of allowing you to watch this bootiful game. "What is this game all about?", I hear you shriek. Why let's turn to our grave friend Wikipedia to see which game will leave us all with haunting memories!

*I'll cut back on the puns, I promise!
Ghost Master is a puzzle/strategy game for the PC. It is among a small selection of games that pit the player in the role of the enemy, similar to Dungeon Keeper. In this case, the player assumes the role of a Ghost Master, a seemingly bureaucratic spirit tasked to perform certain duties. While the bulk of a Ghost Master's duties consist of hauntings, a Ghost Master may also be "called in" to increase belief in the supernatural, avenge deaths, and conscript renegade ghosts. Because a Ghost Master cannot directly interfere in the world of mortals, he is given a team of subordinate ghosts to do so. When not haunting, the Ghost Master is responsible for the training of the ghosts under his command.

So, yeah. You are a young ghost master(I don't understand it either). At your command are several "haunters" who can provide a variety of services, most of which are synonymous with jumping out and yelling boo! But! All is not for free, you can't just bring out the ethereal bad boys, and hope to get scaring willy nilly. See, the more you scare people the more "Plasm" you get, allowing you to unleash bigger and badder scares and powers. So far, the goal of each level has been to scare everyone so much so they leave their homes. But enough of that, I'll explain more during the first update, which, luckily for you guys, is right below.

Set 1-Boo(t) Camp
First mission report incoming, ghost lords.
ghost2009100619155183.jpg
This is a little weird, I don't remember where scaring the wits out of people is a game, and who the credits would be to, but to me.

ghost2009100618491841.jpg
I also don't know why I must use a ouija board to spell my own name.

ghost2009100618501116.jpg
Being an all powerful ghost master, pop up books are my medium of choice, and since I have no idea what I'm doing, some master I am. I select "Haunting 101".

ghost2009100618505471.jpg
Some ghost chained to a vacuum cleaner, I'm sure I'll find out about this soon. And I will file a complaint with the ghost bureaucracy, it's just poor form to be chained to a mortal appliance.

ghost2009100618513540.jpg
Heeding the advice of some tutorial ghost voice, I choose the recommended haunters. It's just like Fantasy Football the mortals play, only it's Phantasmal Phootball.

ghost2009100618524537.jpg
Here there be victims, in the form of sorority girls. I'm sure this won't end up being awkward. What can mortals get up to anyway?

ghost2009100618545960.jpg
Focusing on the portrait of a person on the previous page, you are able to choose on a couple options. View, being one of them, leading to this, uh, "cinematic view of the girls" thanks Tuortial Ghost!

ghost2009100618552989.jpg
I can tell this report, is going to be filled with puns. Anyway, you can see the aforementioned view, go to(self-explanatory), POV(which let's me see through their eyes, but not control them.), and Bio, which this shows. I am able to divine some things about these puny mortal women, one being Willpower, which is the white bar on each, and if you exceed the terror one, they get so scared they run away! Enough about the people, let's check out our team! The winning team!

ghost2009100618562407.jpg
This is Boo, he looks like a ghost, and that's what he is. One thing they forgot to tell me in ghost master school is a "Fetter". Fetters are things spirits bind to, for instance, Boo can be bound anywhere inside, and once bound can chase victims around to extract his ghastly vengeance. Orders are just instructions for haunters to do, and I to give, and Powers are things they can do to haunt stuff. Tutorial Ghost tells me that the more you use a ghost, the more intricate Orders you will be able to give. I guess you can teach an old ghost new tricks.

ghost2009100618571121.jpg
This is some weird monkey guy, I don't know what his deal is.

ghost2009100618572175.jpg
Aside from this picture, you won't see this guy again this update. I don't like him, he's got shifty eyes.

ghost2009100618573725.jpg
Some kind of Spider ghost, there's not too much more I can say. I didn't know spiders have ghosts.

ghost2009100618592361.jpg
Now is the time to put in my first ghost! Boo is going to cause a ruckus and hopefully get us some more Plasm, which is the upper left bar on the screen, allowing my team to use more powers.

ghost2009100618595127.jpg
Since invisible ghosts aren't really scary, I give him free rein to use all his powers, the one being show here is Kinisis, where he tosses a lot of empty pizza(I hear it's a tasty mortal dish) boxes around.

ghost2009100619031412.jpg
Here you can see Boo unleashed the fury of trash, and scared one girl out of this report(the one with the X through the portrait.)I also summoned Spider-Ghost, since I have no idea what I'm doing. I probably should have paid more attention in Ghost Master school.

ghost2009100619034138.jpg
This showcases quite nicely that I have no idea what I am doing, in that I am scaring an empty room. Fear my wrath!

ghost2009100619041822.jpg
I meet a restless spirit, whose element got chained up in a vacuum. I don't know how, but it's my job to get her out, thus allowing her to work with me to rid the house of pesky people who live here.

ghost2009100619044918.jpg
Checking out the Weather Witch's skills, because I have no clue how to rescue her.

ghost2009100619054921.jpg
After constant yelling at by the Tutorial Ghost, I figure out to bind the monkey spirit to the boom box aboce the vacuum, and give him the leave to do whatever needs to be done.

ghost2009100619070669.jpg
Monkey boy breaks the vacuum, allowing the Weather Witch to freely assist us in hunting down the remaining sorority girls. They don't have a ghost of a chance!

ghost2009100619151821.jpg
I finish the mission, acquiring some precious Gold Plasm, which I have no idea what it is. They really should revise the syllabus at my school.

Next update, I go gadding with ghouls, (but not Gilderoy.)

Set 2-Restless in Calamity
In the enclosed report, I detail the mission "The Calamityville horror"
ghost2009100716040222.jpg
My second mission as a ghost master already!(Dead)Man, how time flies when you are a being that is impartial to it!

ghost2009100716041432.jpg
Here is one of the three restless spirits,Archlight, that I was able to rescue at this house. All three were victim to an old lady so lonely, she poisoned anyone who game into her house. I may be a ghost, but I think I have better people skills than that.

ghost2009100716042217.jpg
Again since I take the recommended team of haunters with me, since I'm still new at this. Boo and Weatherwitch make a return, with new faces(sort of) being Light Orbs, Rocky, and Googly Eyed Murder Robe.

ghost2009100716043298.jpg
Hurm, another ghostly voice tells me that my mission is to reveal some of the skeletons of the old lady's victims to the police, allowing some sort of ghostly vengeance or some such. There seems to be a large human family living here, but I only need them as tools, to discover the bodies.

ghost2009100716063850.jpg
Another restless spirit, Static, died when he realized that being a cable guy was the lamest possible job on the mortal plane.

ghost2009100716074067.jpg
The final spirit, Maxine, tells me that I need only to lure a female whelp(young humans are called whelps, right?)to her so she can display some of her cosmetic products.

ghost2009100716052460.jpg
Back to Archlight, I bind Rocky to some...well...rocks, since he has a power called Tremor, I figure I can put it to good use.

ghost2009100716054045.jpg
Rocky managed to dislodge one brick(way to be a part of the team, just for that I'm benching you.), now I just hope some mortal will be smart enough to investigate the sounds of an earthquake under their home.

ghost2009100716045832.jpg
Meanwhile Archlight is still chilling(haha) there.

ghost2009100716091149.jpg
An elderly mortal is completely oblivious to the newly desecrated basement wall.

ghost2009100716121810.jpg
Finally someone removes the rest of the blocks, so they can go report to the cops the first corpse.

ghost2009100716083274.jpg
I bind trusty Boo to help us get the last corpse we need discovered. By rattling some stereotypical chains to attract attention.

ghost2009100716113484.jpg
Whilst down below the police are reporting the first corpse, another foolish mortal has found the second, once the cops find this one, my mission will be complete.

ghost2009100716155802.jpg
Running out of time, I think of some last ditch efforts to free the remaining two spirits.

ghost2009100716132456.jpg
For Static, I summon Googles, who can't do anything, what a waste of plasm.

ghost2009100716145742.jpg
Almost there now, only time enough to try and help Maxine.

ghost2009100716101163.jpg
Using her Intrigue Power, I almost get a mortal woman to foolishly unleash the spirit, but the cops find the body, and the mission ends.

ghost2009100716164940.jpg
Really need to get better at this, maybe I can put in some overtime and help out those spirits. Regardless, in my next report I shall delve into the quarters designated for me and my team. I shall see what this Gold Plasm can be traded for to further enhance my ghost mastering.

I am completely new at this, so feel free to criticize me about the pictures, my game playing skills, or anything else. Next update I'll probably get the pictures a little larger, if that what everyone wants.

Xtarath on

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next update.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah because of the font in the pop-up messages is ghastly, up the screen size a smidge if you wouldn't mind :)

Otherwise this should be pretty cool, never got around to playing it myself but I've always been tempted to grab it off GOG.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Now this is a blast from the past. I loved this game. I still remember the warm feeling I got when I scored a triple pumpkin on one of the later levels. :mrgreen:

Looking at the report screen, the only area you're lacking in is the time taken to complete the level. But let's face it, if you're like me, you want to take your time. You want to watch the mortals walk around not knowing when the next scare is coming. :twisted:

Now for a few tips that may be of use:

1) Gold Plasm lets you buy new abilities for your haunters. It gives your spooks more variety - and in the case of the weedier ones - access to stronger powers so they can keep up with the haunters you'll pick up later on. Don't sweat it if you aren't earning much though. The game gives you more powerful haunters as you progress.

2) When it comes to selecting your team of haunters, make sure you look over the playing field first. The recommended haunting team is usually okay, but if I remember right, it occasionally puts in a ghost that won't be useful or overlooks a ghost that would really work well. I don't think it takes into account ghosts that you've training up, either.

3) Spend some times scoping out the level when you start. Your plasm gauge remains constant right up until your ghosts make the first scare, so take your time formulating a plan of attack.

4) One of the first things you really need to do when you start scaring the mortals is to pick a target and concentrate on them to get them to run screaming from the level. This gives you a permanent block of plasm to play with, so you won't run the risk of running out of plasm. It can ease the pressure off of you if things start going wrong.

5) Training ghosts is good. Some of the later orders that your ghosts can learn means you can set them down and leave them to it rather than having to check back on them every two minutes to make sure they aren't doing something stupid and wasting your precious plasm.

This looks like it'll be a good LP. I'm looking forward to the next set.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I may have to play this simply because it has the same name as me... sort of.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I may have to play this simply because it has the same name as me... sort of.

If you like RTS games, then you probably won't regret it. It's an excellent game that has a great sense of humour. It's a bit like Dungeon Keeper in that regard. It's great fun looking at the mortals names and picking out where they come from.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Set 2-Restless in Calamity
    In the enclosed report, I detail the mission "The Calamityville horror"
    ghost2009100716040222.jpg
    My second mission as a ghost master already!(Dead)Man, how time flies when you are a being that is impartial to it!

ghost2009100716041432.jpg
    Here is one of the three restless spirits,Archlight, that I was able to rescue at this house. All three were victim to an old lady so lonely, she poisoned anyone who game into her house. I may be a ghost, but I think I have better people skills than that.

ghost2009100716042217.jpg
    Again since I take the recommended team of haunters with me, since I'm still new at this. Boo and Weatherwitch make a return, with new faces(sort of) being Light Orbs, Rocky, and Googly Eyed Murder Robe.

ghost2009100716043298.jpg
    Hurm, another ghostly voice tells me that my mission is to reveal some of the skeletons of the old lady's victims to the police, allowing some sort of ghostly vengeance or some such. There seems to be a large human family living here, but I only need them as tools, to discover the bodies.

ghost2009100716063850.jpg
    Another restless spirit, Static, died when he realized that being a cable guy was the lamest possible job on the mortal plane.

ghost2009100716074067.jpg
    The final spirit, Maxine, tells me that I need only to lure a female whelp(young humans are called whelps, right?)to her so she can display some of her cosmetic products.

ghost2009100716052460.jpg
    Back to Archlight, I bind Rocky to some...well...rocks, since he has a power called Tremor, I figure I can put it to good use.

ghost2009100716054045.jpg
    Rocky managed to dislodge one brick(way to be a part of the team, just for that I'm benching you.), now I just hope some mortal will be smart enough to investigate the sounds of an earthquake under their home.

ghost2009100716045832.jpg
    Meanwhile Archlight is still chilling(haha) there.

ghost2009100716091149.jpg
    An elderly mortal is completely oblivious to the newly desecrated basement wall.

ghost2009100716121810.jpg
    Finally someone removes the rest of the blocks, so they can go report to the cops the first corpse.

ghost2009100716083274.jpg
    I bind trusty Boo to help us get the last corpse we need discovered. By rattling some stereotypical chains to attract attention.

ghost2009100716113484.jpg
    Whilst down below the police are reporting the first corpse, another foolish mortal has found the second, once the cops find this one, my mission will be complete.

ghost2009100716155802.jpg
    Running out of time, I think of some last ditch efforts to free the remaining two spirits.

ghost2009100716132456.jpg
    For Static, I summon Googles, who can't do anything, what a waste of plasm.

ghost2009100716145742.jpg
    Almost there now, only time enough to try and help Maxine.

ghost2009100716101163.jpg
    Using her Intrigue Power, I almost get a mortal woman to foolishly unleash the spirit, but the cops find the body, and the mission ends.

ghost2009100716164940.jpg
    Really need to get better at this, maybe I can put in some overtime and help out those spirits. Regardless, in my next report I shall delve into the quarters designated for me and my team. I shall see what this Gold Plasm can be traded for to further enhance my ghost mastering.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Really need to get better at this, maybe I can put in some overtime and help out those spirits. Regardless, in my next report I shall delve into the quarters designated for me and my team. I shall see what this Gold Plasm can be traded for to further enhance my ghost mastering.[/SPOILER]

You'll find it goes a lot easier if you do decide to come back to this one later. Out of the first block of missions, this is easily the most difficult since it requires a fair degree of finesse at mortal-wrangling to get all three ghosts laid to rest before the mission ends.

Kudos for getting a double pumpkin ranking and also for managing to complete the mission without scaring a single mortal. That couldn't have been easy.

As for your Gold Plasm, it'll be interesting to see where you choose to spend it.

EDIT: By the way, one of your pictures isn't loading. (The one where "An elderly mortal is completely oblivious to the newly desecrated basement wall".)

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the tip, should be fixed now.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, should be fixed now.

Yep, that's got it.... but only for post #7. The pic still isn't showing in post #1. Once you sort that one out, all will be well and the restless spirits will be at peace... for a little while at least. :mrgreen:

EDIT: That's got it. All is well.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been looking forward to a new set for so long... :cry:

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gotta say this game looks much more interesting than the box-art would lead you to believe.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Its a pretty decent game actually, especially once you get all the ins and outs of it together. I usually install it around halloween every year hah.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess if anyone is interested, this game is one dollar on steam. Less than a dollar, actually.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The music and voice acting for this game is worth the price alone. The gameplay is just icing.

I loved all the movie refs, especially all the parodied marines from Aliens being in the mental hostpial, all with relevant fears related to how they died in the movie :D

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kaseius wrote: »

You'll be waiting a long time I'm afraid. Xtarath didn't enjoy playing the game and so this LP has been abandoned. It's a pity, since I love this game and really enjoyed the first two sets.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well thank you for bumping this thread, it's made me decide to go buy it.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kitsuna wrote: »
    Kaseius wrote: »

You'll be waiting a long time I'm afraid. Xtarath didn't enjoy playing the game and so this LP has been abandoned. It's a pity, since I love this game and really enjoyed the first two sets.

Don't worry, I'll get him to change his tune. Don't you worry...

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alright guys, I will play this game. But I am going to restart it as a video Let's Play, expect the first set some time this week.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wow. Kaseius works quickly.

I'll be looking forward to it. Glad you're shifting it to a video LP since the sound effects really do help you appreciate the game.

I'm just hoping this means that you didn't dislike this game too much. After all, I don't imagine any of us wants to pressure you into playing through a game you didn't like.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Kaseius works in mysterious ways. He's kind of like Santa, but better. YOU BEST NOT DISAPPOINT, MR. X

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks like a reimagining of or spiritual successor to Haunting Starring Poltriguy, an old genesis game nobody else ever heard of. This is a wonderful thing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.