As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BORDERLANDS] It's fucking amazing & (sold)Out now for console swine! [NSF56K]

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Out now for consoles! October 26th for PC.
Initial impressions from PAers rate Borderlands as being this awesome:
fuckawesome.jpg

borderlands.jpg
For a mega-big-huge version of the boxart go here: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/order/

What is this amazing game?!

Borderlands is the dude who sleeps with your girlfriend while you're at work.

'Course while he's not plowing your girl he is also busy being a CO-OP FPS / RPG / Space Cowboy / Mad Max / Diablo hybrid.

Tell me more about this amazing game!

Borderlands takes place in the future on a distant planet that mankind has tried to colonize. They thought the planet was a harmless little ice world. They were wrong.
Wikipedia wrote:
In the distant future, several colonization ships head to Pandora, a planet on the edge of the galaxy. The colonists are drawn there in search of a better life as well as vast mineral resources said to be on the planet, free for anyone's taking, akin to a futuristic gold rush. Some time after settling, the colonists discover that there is little the planet offers, aside from some decrepit alien ruins. Those who have money leave, and the remaining population devolves into chaos and lawlessness. Some of the settlers seek to get rich quickly by discovering alien technology. Most others are just trying to survive. After seven earth years, the planet's slow orbit brings a transition from winter to spring, and many horrifying creatures emerge from hibernation.

A beacon of hope for the remaining colonists emerges in the form of a mysterious vault carved in the side of a mountain. This vault is said to contain vast stores of alien technology and secrets. The only problem is that the people who discovered the vault were completely wiped out by some sort of protective force. The only evidence of their discovery is a scattered radio transmission, proclaiming the vault's majesty, but not its location.

Okay that's cool, what about game play?

The game is a FPS first and a RPG second. You and up to three other of your buddies can travel the open sandbox world, explore "dungeons", kill bad guys, and tear ass across a desert wasteland in sweet as shit vehicles.

Also check out these awesome videos.

Gameplay video

ComicCon 2009 trailer

En Italiano, but watch it anyway!

Borderlands: Claptrap Web Series ep. 1

Borderlands: Claptrap Web Series ep. 2

Borderlands is for Real Gamers

Super awesome!

Yes, yes it is. Oh wait, did I mention that there is well over tens of thousands of guns in the game? Let me say that again. The game has over TENS OF THOUSANDS OF GUNS. Not "ten thousand", "tens of thousands".

How is this marvel of science possible?

The game procedurally generates weapons (and armor) on the fly. You can have crazy shit like a revolver that fires shotgun shells.

Oh yeah the enemies are also procedurally generated too. Though to a somewhat lesser extent then the guns.

. . . and much of the landscape will also be randomly generated.

Wait procedurally who-whats?

Basically, they have a few hundred thousand "weapon pieces". Stuff like barrels, stocks, sights, trigger assembly, so on. The computer then pieces a weapon together based on various weapon manufacturer's preferences.

Like, company Awesoma Arms makes weapons with wooden stocks, have small magazines, are lever actioned, but have generally long barrels for better accuracy and use high caliber rounds for better damage.

So when the computer goes to spit out a weapon it will select who the manufacturer is first. In this case Awesoma Arms. The computer knows how Awesoma Arms designs their weapons, so it will select a wooden stock from an available pool of probably hundreds and hundreds of wooden stocks. Then comes the magazine, barrel, and rounds. POOF! You got yourself a genuine Awesoma Arms lever action 7.62 repeating rifle!

edit- To clarify. The weapons aren't just random. There is a definite theme going on based on manufacturer. So you should be able to look at a weapon and be able to guess who the manufacturer was based on the parts used.

edit 2- Also weapons may come with "enchantments", for lack of a better word. Stuff like electrically charged sniper rounds, bullets that explode on impact, shotgun rounds that will freeze then shatter an enemy, and even guns that heal people by shooting them!

Okay I am sold, what are the classes?

You got four flavors to choose from and each one comes with their own "story" to play through.

There will be four playable characters in the game, all with unique skills, abilities, and back stories. As these characters level up, the player can increase basic stats for them such as health totals, ammo capacity, and accuracy. Each character also has three unique focus skill trees to develop making each and every character different even if they start the same. There is also an accessory item type specific to each character.
408478_full.jpg
From left to right: Roland, Lilith, Mordecai, Brick

Roland
Roland is a former soldier of the Crimson Lance, a sort of highly trained private military that disregards law and order. A decade-old vendetta is rekindled when Roland learns that the leader of the Brigadiers has a suspiciously similar name to a man he has sworn to kill. Some of Roland's abilities are meant to supplement and support the party. His Leadership skill can boost the party's experience gains, while his Medical skill will increase health regeneration, and Support will increase weapon damage or regenerate ammunition for the party, Roland is a soldier class and the only class that doesn't have to worry about ammo as a special backpack produces an infinite supply.

Lilith
Once a human, Lilith at one point was turned into a siren. One of only six Sirens, they are a group of people with unbelievable powers, but no way to control them. She comes to Pandora in search of another Siren, in an effort to find out more about herself. Lilith is essentially the mage of the group, using her Siren powers to support the group and attack the enemy. Some of her powers include the ability to increase the group's rate of fire, as well as the power to create temporal bubbles, which she can manipulate to slow down enemies and hostile projectiles or speed up allies.

Mordecai
Mordecai came to Pandora in search of a man from his past named Demosthenes. Upon learning that Demosthenes has died, Mordecai sets off to learn how he died and what he was carrying. Mordecai's play style is that of a lone ranger, preferring to snipe enemies from afar. Some of his special abilities can augment the party's damage from headshots or give accuracy boosts and is a hunter class. Later in the game, he will befriend a bird-like creature named Bloodwing that will assist in combat.

Brick
A massive specimen of a man who likes to use his fists to smash the enemy above all else. He wears a necklace adorned with the paw of his beloved deceased dog. He fills in the tank niche and can take quite a beating as well having the ability to chug berserker-state inducing pills for short bursts of power.

Wowee that's awesome!

Indeed. Also note that you can change the name of the character to whatever you want.

What system is this glorious creation for?

PS3, Xbox 360, PC.

Do I need the internet to play with my home boyz?

I. . . I am not sure what home boyz are.

At any rate the game has 4 player co-op over the internet and 2 player local co-op as well! Amazing!

Demand. Reaching. Critical. Levels. When can I play this?!

Release date is set for October 20th 2009.

Screenshots
408480_full.jpg

408482_full.jpg

408484_full.jpg

408486_full.jpg

408488_full.jpg

bl1l.jpg

bl5.jpg

bl4.jpg

bl2.jpg

bl1.jpg

Interviews

Joystiq: Hands-on singleplayer
"Borderlands, on the other hand, asks that you simply shoot first -- and wonder about other features later."

Joystiq: Hands-on multiplayer
"...multiplayer isn't a separate mode in Borderlands; you can be playing the game solo and, if you want, up to three other players can drop in at any time to join your adventure. If they've had enough, they can drop out, and you're back to the single-player game."

PC Games Hardware: All about the tech
"I think a huge component of what makes the Borderlands art direction look so unique is the graphics technology and the blending of hand painted content with realistic rendering models."

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Hands On
"It’s the thrill of high-speed violence paired with the compulsion of loot collection."

Rock, Paper, Shotgun Fan Q&A
Fan: Ask him who would win in a fight between CliffyB and Gabe Newell?

Randy Pitchford: Wow. Uh. I’m gonna go with Cliffy on that. Cliffy would chainsaw him in half. Gabe’s gibs would be awesome, though.

Gearbox is often surprised at the types of weapons their game creates.

"We saw a ridiculous amount of guns, but perhaps the strangest was a revolver that fired shotgun shells. Gearbox is constantly surprised with what the system comes up with. They've seen rifles shoot everything from homing darts to rockets. "One of the guns tracks onto something and locks, and after three seconds, [the target] suddenly explodes, director Matthew Armstrong says."

If you think there is anything else that belongs here tell me and I will add it in.

STEAM GROUP, BITCHES!

42a212c3617757ca87c3dff31ac56125a9700bc2_full.jpg

XBOX 360 METATAG, SHIT BAGS!

PA Borderwangs

SKILL TREES, MOTHER FUCKERS!

BRICK
LILITH
MORDECAI
ROLAND

Feint wrote: »
Is a man not entitled to the bullet of his gun? No, says the man in Washington, it should shoot a Kennedy. No, says the man in Vatican, it should be shot by GOD! No, says the man in Moscow, it should shoot everyone! I rejected those answers; instead I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Borderlands, a planet where the gunslinger would not fear the poison-tipped-handheld-dart-trebuchet, where the Siren would not be bound by petty ogglers of their well-shaped behinds, where the explosion would not be constrained by its uranium tipped metal casing! And with the bullet of your gun, Borderlands can become your planet as well.

Bonus
Search & Destroy

big08la2.jpg
A variant of this is in the game.

scoopa.jpg

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Justin.tv stream of this going down. The Robot is break dancing at the Main Menu.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guns and girls and an RPGFPSMOG, interesting.

Johannen on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Added the skill trees links.

Also, is their a 360 group? Or a PS3 for that matter. I can add the details of them to the OP.

Axen on
  • Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know there is a 360 group, but I don't remember the name right off.

Also, I'll probably be playing a support Roland. Kinda depends on just how scarce/plentiful ammo and health are during bad times.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know the 360 group is PA Borderwangs, not sure about PS3.

Last Son on
  • Options
    RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    360 Group is in my sig, we have 25 people currently.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Justin.tv stream of this going down. The Robot is break dancing at the Main Menu.

He's broadcasting an amazing view of his wall and some curtains right now, but I can hear Claptrap screaming in the background.

Claptrap is so cute.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    this looks good

MrDelish on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think maybe I'm in the 360 group? I can't remember; haven't turned my 360 on at all since Demon's Souls came out (heh).

mmm new thread smell.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to add this hot PA group tonight when I boot up my 360. Game looks amazing.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Basil wrote: »

He's broadcasting an amazing view of his wall and some curtains right now, but I can hear Claptrap screaming in the background.

Claptrap is so cute.

Link?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    http://www.justin.tv/borderlanders

Broadcast just starting.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Apparently dude got it legit from a Best Buy that put it out early. I tried that with FFXII years ago and got denied. Wish I had the gumption to claim "rape" when they tried to refuse sale...

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Broadcast just starting.

We have reached the maximum streams to your country.

THE FUUUUUUUUUUUCK?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nice! Watching the stream right now and it looks great. I like the font they use for the numbers that pop up over the enemy heads.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

Broadcast just starting.

We have reached the maximum streams to your country.

THE FUUUUUUUUUUUCK?

Apparently "Europe" is a country.

Echo on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The dude playing on the stream is terrible.

Last Son on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow this looks good.

For PC / 360 owners, any ideas which platform would be recommended?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »
    Wow this looks good.

I'm getting it on 360 but if I had the PC to run it I would be all over the PC version.

KimFidler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Last Son wrote: »
    The dude playing on the stream is terrible.

I stopped watching right after he started but he sounds kind of nervous. He gave it a great review though.

Watching the GiantBomb video instead which is much more entertaining, better quality and is making me more excited about co-op.

One thing I'm seeing is that some iron sights seem very obstructive and some seem really good so again I think it's luck of the draw with the gun-type and sight-type when it comes to usefulness.

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wow this looks good.

The Devs themselves say the PC is where it's at. Not to belittle the 360 or anything since I think I will probably get it for that instead of PC myself.

Axen on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arrgh! Stupid end-of-year assignments! I really want to find the time to play this, a Support/Medic Roland sounds like my kinda style.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Wow this looks good.

The Devs themselves say the PC is where it's at. Not to belittle the 360 or anything since I think I will probably get it for that instead of PC myself.

I typically prefer PC versions but...yeah, not sure I have the right specs.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    InitialDK wrote: »

Yeeeessssssss.

This game is absolutely what I want.

Right here.

All the four man action of Left 4 Dead with none of the zombies.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A SOLDIER CLASS MOD ALLOWS YOU TO REGEN AMMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I saw that and wrote that instead of screaming and scaring the wife.

[edit] GB also says the "New-U" stations can be upgraded later to act as fast travel, so that kind of eliminates that one argument, no?

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    KKprofitKKprofit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there a single player mode?

KKprofit on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    KKprofit wrote: »

Absolutely. You basically join or have people join your "single player" mode, so really there are no different modes.

Also, apparently those flavor texts in the gun descriptions mean more than just flavor. "Sometimes I forget to reload."

InitialDK on
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    KKprofit wrote: »

Yes.

Technically single player and multiplayer are one in the same. While you play your game your friends can pop in and join you at any time and leave at any time with no interruption on your end. You can turn this feature on or off if you hate your friends.

edit- Curse you InitialDK

Axen on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    oh hey, new thread.

I hope they have a "friends only" join feature, its almost required in a game like this.

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    oh hey, new thread.

I hope they have a "friends only" join feature, its almost required in a game like this.

I am quite positive it does.

IIRC the settings are like, "Everyone, Friends, Nobody"

Axen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    InitialDK wrote: »

Man,every time he shot one of those worms the frame rate took a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive.

If I get this,then definitely for PC.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KimFidler wrote: »
    Wow this looks good.

I'm getting it on 360 but if I had the PC to run it I would be all over the PC version.

If you like gaming on the PC, and have a computer that can run new games at even near top quality then you may as well snag it for the PC (as it's a bit cheaper to).

I'll be getting it for my xbox since I prefer just about any game but an RTS on a console. And it's cheaper for me to have an xbox and a lap top than to get an upgradable PC, or get a new lap top everytime technology jumps ahead.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "Hey guys, PC is where its at!"

"Ohh yeah, you have to wait longer than anyone else to play it."

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    thefaisthefais Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! No PC vs Console fighting. Everyone has their own preference. Now let's get over it and talk about how excited we are to play Borderlands.

I'll start.

I am SO excited to play Borderlands. Now you go!

thefais on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm SO excited to play Borderlands on my personal computer.

Your move.
    Join Wangs Without Borders today!

-Golly. 136 members already?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like an interesting game. Lack of making the actual characters myself drops it from 'must buy NOW NOW NOW' to 'I'll snag it in a few months when I have money', but I am most certainly intrigued.

yalborap on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can't wait to play this.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    God damn it I might have to get this game at release instead of waiting

Fucking gameplay videos making me lose my resolve

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.