As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Glossolalia presents: RADLands] It's Glossolalia's first birthday today!

Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchscritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Social Entropy++
RADLands-1.png
Seven days ago, the world ended. Not with a bang, or with a whimper, but with a sound like a rotten orange being splattered against a fat man's thigh, and also there is a nuclear explosion going off.

Grab your shotgun and don your re-purposed sporting equipment - Ragnarok's come and it's time to mess shit up.

Season 1 now available on DVD!

If you do not want to make a character, but would still like to bip in occasionally/fuck with the players, then do I have good news for you! Characters whose names are written in Lime may be controlled by anyone who wanders into the thread. Anyone. Just make sure to post the character's actions in Sandybrown so DE?AD notices them.

There are currently three missions happening simultaneously:

[The Third Heat] [Krosius, Dubh, Lockout, Dux, Scarlet St., Firetruck, Kayne Red Robe]
Estimated Location:
Western Nevada
The story so far: Our party found themselves in a diner in the middle of nowhere, surrounded on all sides by a vast desert. With food supplies running low, the party agreed to head out into the wastes to try and find supplies. During their journey, they ran into two raiders in a souped-up car. They managed to beat them, but took severe damage. After healing their wounds and setting up camp, the group decided to track where the two raiders had come from, hoping to find a raider colony that they could, well, raid.
Unlockable Ads: [Waster], [Desert Navigator], [Iron Blood]

[Mayfield is Dead] [Bearstranaut, Viscount Islands, Cheeseguy, Squall, Abdwhasit]
Estimated Location:
Unknown
The story so far: The party found themselves in the now underground ruins of the city of Mayfield, and immediately began searching for an escape route to the surface. Traveling through the bizarre RADiated tunnels, they eventually met up with a giant mutant eagle, who seems friendly enough but is probably going to eat them as soon as it gets hungry. The party now stands at the entrance to the Mayfield Zoo, through which they must pass to reach the passageway to freedom. Who knows what sorts of hideous effects the RAD has had on the various animals of the zoo.
Unlockable Ads: [Acrobat], [Expert Forager], [Tunnel Lord]

[Hail to the Watch] [Antimatter, Speed Racer, Tommy2Hands, Neotoma, Marshmallow, Randeados, Orikaeshigitae]
Estimated Location:
Northern California
The story so far: Our party found itself imprisoned in the basement of a suburban home, all of them accused of being perverts, but seriously dude that girl was totally 18. They immediately get to work on escaping their prison, and things go really well... for about 10 seconds. Then the warden shoots off the little kid's arm and a dog lays spider eggs into the census taker's arm. Now the party can hear an angry mob approaching and must rapidly decide on a plan of action.
Unlockable Ads: [Charmer], [Shank], [Burglar]

Speed Racer on

• scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    man it's whose not who's.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    throw a link on to the rules page, Speed

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has it already been 2500 posts?

My how time flies

Squall on
    edited November 2009
    make the image clickable.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Whoa hey I think you're missing a couple of people in those missions
    by a couple I mean me

Squall on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    IMPROMPTU INTERMISSION

DE?AD's gone AWOL on us, so until he returns from his depression-fueled fugue, scarlet and I will be hosting a mini campaign. What's the theme you ask? Zombie cowboys. Yeeeeeehaw.

"Saddle on up," a voice as rough as the desert sands bids your group to take a seat. As you gather around the fire pit in the middle of the ventilated hut, the shadows fall from the stranger who has called you here. He slouches forward towards the heat of the fire, a beige and mothbitten poncho gathered around him, and topped with a weathered leather cowboy hat. A cloud of cigarette smoke obscures his face as you sit, unfortunately clearing all too soon as he suffers a coughing fit, spluttering all over the fire. He lifts his hand to his jaw, and only then do you realize his rotten jaw is clenched between his leprous fingers. "Name's Jawless Jim. People like to think of me as a," as he searches for words, he coughs again, ichor and fleshy bits flying into the fire, "'scuse me. Now, as I was sayin', people think of me as a go-between. Yup, I tread the border and toe the line. Now with you folk here, I reckon it's high time we make some headway on this zombie end-o-times.

"T'was some time ago, now, the fightin' took over the West. Don't care whatchoo folk were before, but there's a good goddamned reason yer still around. And that means yer useful to the cause, it do. Now the question is, how far're you willin' to go fer humanity?"

It's been five years since the shambling hordes were corralled up and put to work, and three since everyone realized they did a whole hell of a lot more actual work than any damn human ever bothered to do. As the zombiemen came in droves to work on railroads, mining coal, and scrubbing floors, the working class got angry. Also really poor. When the zombies unionized, the humans rioted. 'Course, it took two weeks to get anywhere, but man when those rioters showed up they tore the place up but good. Only problem was the zombies beat the piss outta those people. And the people after them.

Now the zombies have taken the West. Like a no-man's land except with more zombies.
    And now you're here to take it back.

Speed Racer on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    t scarlet- man fuck you we talked about this last night.
    t Dubh- whoops I forgot to
    t Squall- I think I am too I just copypasted from DE?AD's OP, I'll correct it in a second.

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009
    So should we just RADland it up and use the same Ads/Ods? The setting is merely the Wild West of RADlands, where it took a week/two weeks for people to return to Blazing Saddles?

Sounds good enough to me! We might consider replacing the Mutant Ads with some Zombie Ads.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Yeah that'll probably be the easiest way to do it.

Also if you really want to be either zombie or human you better act fast because I am going to try and make the two teams pretty much even, so if you're a straggler you might not get what you want.

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009
    Zombie here

Squall on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll probably step out of this one, since I got to be writing about 1700 words a day for the whole of November.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited November 2009
    So how advanced is this zombie 'civilization'?

Squall on
    edited November 2009
    Basically human. There are a lot of zombies with more or less human intelligence, and then a shitload of shambling dumnb zombies that are good for cheap labor.

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009
    So do the zombies use normal weapons or do they rely entirely on mutation

Squall on
    edited November 2009
    Bitta both.

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009
    Zombie [2]: Requires Mutant. You are one of the walking DE?AD, an aberration feared by the whole of humanity and some of inhumanity. You no longer need to eat or sleep. If you consume human or mostly human flesh, you can choose to gain a RAD point or heal a physical wound or bruise (this must be enough flesh to constitute one, normal sized human). You also gain the Monster od with no ad points added to your score.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited November 2009
    Looks good.

Speed Racer on
    edited November 2009
    Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited November 2009
    what the hell am I watching

Squall on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Not really interested in this side-quest. WIll keep checking for DE?Ad's return.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I may or may not join the side-quest.

Cheeseliker on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    what the hell am I watching
    the worst flash ever?

and im in for the sidequest. dont much care which side.

Bedlam on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am not going to be in for the side quest. I don't want to piss off Scarlet even more than I already have.

Antimatter on
    edited November 2009
    bedlam, you had mentioned wanting to play, but I don't know if De?ad was ever around to answer. you're more than welcome to play in the sidequest for now, anyway!

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I am not going to be in for the side quest. I don't want to piss off Scarlet even more than I already have.

you don't piss me off, kid. my posts come across as belligerent rather than blase because i likely haven't smoked a cigarette beforehand. try reading my posts more passively than agressively.

you fuckin' piece of shit.
    no but seriously you can play, man

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No, but thank you. That was actually only one of several reasons, including the fact that I could use the time I normally spend on the forums watching The Prisoner.

Antimatter on
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I'm joining. Even made a character.

The Zombie With No Name

Physical: 4
    Social: 2
    Mental: 2

PhysAds:

Brutal Attack [2]: Your hits hit harder than others hits. It is science. For every two Base 6s you roll on a Physical attack, you may add another point of damage.

Mutant [1]: You are a genetic fuck up. You may use RAD points to heal Physical Bruises on a one-to-one basis. In addition, you may purchase Mutant Ads.

Zombie [2]: Requires Mutant. You are one of the walking DE?AD, an aberration feared by the whole of humanity and some of inhumanity. You no longer need to eat or sleep. If you consume human or mostly human flesh, you can choose to gain a RAD point or heal a physical wound or bruise (this must be enough flesh to constitute one, normal sized human). You also gain the Monster od with no ad points added to your score.

Take It Like A Man [2]: You push through the pain, forcing yourself beyond your means. By taking a Physical Wound, you can ignore the effects of your accumulated damage for one round.

SocAds:

Intimidate [1]: You are an imposing bastard. You may substitute your Physical for your Social on rolls to intimidate a target. While effective, this tends to have long-term consequences.
    MentAds:

(Profession: Gunslinger) [2]: You are a trained practitioner of a certain profession, which must be chosen when you purchase this Ad. Examples include Mechanic, Warrior, Scientist, Politician, etc. Whenever a roll would benefit from your training in this profession, you may add a number of dice equal to your rank in this Ad to your roll. This is a free floating bonus, applying equally to Physical, Social, or Mental rolls so long as your training would apply. You may purchase multiple ranks in this Ad, with each rank either adding to an existing profession's bonus, or giving you training in an entirely new profession.

PhysOds:
    Monster [Mutant][-4]: You are a heinous freak, clearly not at all a thinking, reasoning being. Most NPCs will react with disgust, fear, or outright aggression. Your posture, voice, movement all mark you as something ugly, bestial, or unnatural. You may attempt to hide your nature, but it is likely to come out sooner or later. You take a -10 Penalty on all Social rolls.

MentOds:

Compulsion [-1]: You have a psychological compulsion, be it kleptomania, pyromania, obsessive compulsive disorder, alcoholism, or chronic gambling. You must pass a TN (Mental x 3) Mental Test to ignore these urges in any situation that they might spring up. Failure means you go into a compulsive fit, indulging in your particular compulsion for a number of minutes equal to the amount by which you failed the Test. You may shrug off this urge, but doing so causes you to take one Mental Wound. (Greed)

RadOds:

Legion's Disease [-4]: You suffer from a rare strain of RAD Poisoning. You suffer all the normal, fugue-like personality spasms that one would associate with RAD Poisoning, but you retain a single, central personality. Your name is always written in Lime, and anyone who wanders into the thread can dictate your character's actions and speech. However, no matter how many posts someone makes as you, they may not take over your character. In addition, you gain one RAD for every post in which a non-player controls your character.

Cheeseliker on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh shit new thread

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited November 2009
    let me reconsider the zombie ad. it needs to be either more expensive or have other ads with it.

mental ad
    Zombie Overlord [2]: You are one of the few highly intelligent - by zombie standards, anyway - zombies. Zombie foremen command the respect and loyalty of other zombies, and may communicate with other zombies mentally. Requires Zombie.

mental od
    Unemployed Zombie [-1]: Viewed as a useless member of zombie society, you are unable to understand the garbled moaning and grunting of the zombie foremen. This leaves you without the necessary faculties to work in a zombie crew, and other zombies think of you as a dog.

things like this. also an ad to help zombies take more damage than the average human before going down.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    What about human skills?

Will there still be mutants and such?

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited November 2009
    let me reconsider the zombie ad. it needs to be either more expensive or have other ads with it.

mental ad
    Zombie Overlord [2]: You are one of the few highly intelligent - by zombie standards, anyway - zombies. Zombie foremen command the respect and loyalty of other zombies, and may communicate with other zombies mentally. Requires Zombie.

mental od
    Unemployed Zombie [-1]: Viewed as a useless member of zombie society, you are unable to understand the garbled moaning and grunting of the zombie foremen. This leaves you without the necessary faculties to work in a zombie crew, and other zombies think of you as a dog.

things like this. also an ad to help zombies take more damage than the average human before going down.

it includes the monster od in it with no bonus ad points granted

monster is a 4 point od

it works

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited November 2009
    Yeah it's gonna be in RADlands. Probably less focus on the RAD/Robots? More on humans and zombies.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Dubh wrote: »

mental ad

mental od

it includes the monster od in it with no bonus ad points granted

monster is a 4 point od

it works

right on. Want to do the physical ad of being harder to kill, though, still.

e: though being able to spend RAD to heal yourself is pretty much the same thing I guess!

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Zombies might want to take tough. Or make another version that requires zombie to take.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited November 2009
    Yeah it's gonna be in RADlands. Probably less focus on the RAD/Robots? More on humans and zombies.

Maybe in that case, there should be some more baseline human ads

that way playing a regular guy caught up in the rapture is a little more interesting

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Physical Ad

Anything More Than Zero and I'm Ready for Action, Baby! [Zombie] [1]: As long as you are not incapacitated or dead (redead? deaded?), you may ignore any physical dice penalities suffered due to physical wounds or bruises.

I'm not sure if this needs to worked into the zombie ad itself so all of them have it, or if it should be worth more ad points

Squall on
    edited November 2009
    I think the monster thing is a pretty big defect for a zombie. There could be some specific zombie ads and ods though. Maybe...

Mental Od:

Brainssss[?]: Flesh is not enough, you have a craving, a need for human brains. Take -? on something if you havent had brains in 24 hours.

PhysAd:
    You are a frikken zombie, you can't die[?Part of zombie?]: You cannot die. If you take enough wounds that you should die, you go comatose for 24 hours(How long?) after which you rise up again. The only way to actually kill you is to cut off all your limbs and burn you or something.

There should be some kind of Ad where you cannot die by normal means....I mean you are a zombie.

Cheeseliker on
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That zombie not dying thing reminds me of that browser game, Urban Dead or whatever it was.

That was some fun times.

Marshmallow on
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll be on the humans

did DE?AD say why he wasn't posting Dubh?

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    Physical Ad

Anything More Than Zero and I'm Ready for Action, Baby! [Zombie] [1]: As long as you are not incapacitated or dead (redead? deaded?), you may ignore any physical dice penalities suffered due to physical wounds or bruises.

I'm not sure if this needs to worked into the zombie ad itself so all of them have it, or if it should be worth more ad points

yeah, this needs to be one

it or something similar

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
This discussion has been closed.