As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Borderlands: Old thread

IoloIolo ioloRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Games and Technology
screenshot00015.jpg

And now, standing on the shoulders of giants, Borderlands thread eight!
(seven six five four three two one)

midgetsleg.jpg

People like the Borderlands
Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot DLC:

The new adventure on Pandora is called Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot and has three new Riot Arenas. Basically Horde/Firefight in Pandora. Good co-op fun, although be advised no experience for killing baddies (there is experience for completing challenges) and no loot drops except as prizes underneath Moxxi's perch.

Also there's an item bank staffed by a dapper claptrap in a monocle and tophat.

Available now on Xbox Live for 800 Microsoft points, PS3 for $9,99, and PC for $9.99. N.b. PC version has the same 5 activation limit SecuROM as Zombie Island.

TRAILER

GAMEPLAY

The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned DLC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHVCOPGBFw

12/9 - Now available for PC for both Steam and PC Retail. Be advised that the Steam version inexplicably has SecuROM 5 machine activation limit.

Official website is live. (And is loud and largely devoid of content.)
More info and screens:
Tasked with keeping the workers of Jakobs Cove alive, Dr. Ned (who is not related to Dr. Zed from Fyrestone) does his job a little too well, creating zombies and other abominations that now run rampant in this region. Players will have to work alongside Dr. Ned as they embark on a quest to cure the inhabitants of Jakobs Cove in this full-fledged expansion filled with new enemies, new quests and rare loot drops.
page_bkg.jpg

1171723-zombie_island_1_super.jpg

1171724-zombie_island_2_super.jpg
Three public and two secret achievements added in DLC (+125 total). Warning, this here link spoils secrets.

But the best reason to get the DLC? Zombies that carry gunchests chained to their backs!

lootzombie.jpg

PC Patch 1.01 out 11/16/09
Direct link
11/16/09: Borderlands PC update 1.0.1 has been released.

If you purchased a physical copy of the PC version of Borderlands, you can download the update from our site. Make sure you download the correct version:

[PC retail only. If you got it digitally (i.e. Steam or D2D), get your patch from them.]

Update 1.0.1 Notes:

- Characters that have lost skill points will have the lost points refunded
- Clients will no longer lose proficiency progress upon leaving a co-op game
- Item cards now display the intended five lines of detail text
- Lilith's Phase strike and melee attacks from Phase Walk now function as intended
- Voicechat: users can now control volume and individually mute players
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused CL4P-TP to stop progressing during the introduction
- Server browser population times have been improved
- Server information should now always display the correct plot mission
- Benchmarking feature now works as intended
- Nvidia 3D Vision visuals now render shadows correctly (requires minimum 195.28 drivers, available from nVidia)
Wait, I got the patch and now I have a bunch of stupid horizontal shadows running across the screen?
Change your resolution to something else (anything), and then when it asks you if you want to keep the new resolution, say "No!" Exclamation point optional. I'm not sure if it does this for everyone, but my machine freezes up for like 15 seconds when I first make the change and then when I tell it no. After that all is well.

So what is this game?

It's a shooter with light RPG elements and a heavy emphasis on loot gathering (a la Diablo/Titan Quest/WoW, but GUNS!) in a distinctive art style set in a sci fi Mad Maxy/Firefly-y backwater planet.

The single-player is terrific, but the game really shines in co-op with up to 3 other players. It is an ambitious new IP from developer Gearbox and has some real flaws and bone-headed design decisions. If shooting and looting is your cup of tea, though, there is WAAAAY more to like than to dislike.

This trailer really captures the feel of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQW6RLceVE

This preview is pretty much perfect in terms of what you can expect:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-borderlands/56123

And this is how I feel when I play the game:
fuckawesome.jpg

(Thanks, Axen!)

Helpful Advice for New Players
  • The accuracy stat on weapons is surprisingly important. Accuracy is the percentage change for your shot to go down the center of the targetting reticule. So most starter shotguns, for example, w/ accuracy stats like 11, won't hit anything more than 10 feet away. Some weapons may feel 'loose' until you find a different gun or up your proficiency.
  • Inventory space is your most precious commodity out of the gate. Make hard decisions and sell most stuff you find that you aren't using. (This gets easier as you unlock your 3rd and 4th active weapon slot.) Some folks who hoard early find they have to spend all their money just to buy more ammo. If you sell almost all the stuff you find, you won't have this problem after the first few levels.
  • Contrary to standard RPG experience, you probably don't want to carry medkits around with you. There is no quick button for them, they heal over time, they are expensive, and they take up precious inventory space. Usually enough medkits will drop when you are fighting and pretty soon all characters have a low level skill that lets them either run away or get health or both.
  • When you can afford it, upgrade your ammo capacity for the 1-2 gun types you use most. Makes a big difference. You do this from the ammo kiosks by buying the ammo type SDU (Storage Deck Upgrade) upgrade.
  • Re-speccing is cheap and available at any of the New-U stations scattered throughout Pandora. Definitely play with builds once you get 10+ skill points to mess around with.
  • The kiosks rotate inventory every twenty minutes. Check often. It's not uncommon to find something really great. My first orange weapon ever came from a kiosk.
  • Level matters a lot in this game. If you face a baddie more than a couple levels above yours, your shots will do as much damage as spitballs. There's one storyline encounter in particular that will kick your ass if you go straight for it. If you find yourself getting completely trounced, do a couple of side missions. This is much less of a problem in general after you unlock vehicles.
  • When you first get a vehicle, read the pop-up, esp. how to lock on the turret. (Two of the three dumbest encounters of the game are bypassed quickly with turret lock on.)
  • If you do all the side missions you will pretty quickly be somewhat overleveled for the storyline missions. If you are finding the game to be too easy, ease up on the side missions (and/or try using some different weapons.)
  • When you play co-op, have the host log out last to minimize chances of lost data.
  • In almost all circumstances, the machine gun car is better than the rocket car.
  • Skags burn nicely.

Tips w/ Very Minor Spoilers
  • When you first start a game, follow the Claptrap's instructions until he unlocks the town gate and you hear bandit cars roaring overhead. Then stop, go to the nearby hotel (behind you) and loot the ammo around it. Jump on top of the building to find a weapon chest. Whatever you find is almost guaranteed to be better than your starting weapon. Then there is another little area against some rocks opposite the hotel from the gate that has some more ammo and money.
  • You will unlock fast travel and won't have to run around everywhere, but not in the first 15 or so levels.
  • Every Claptrap you save after the first gives you a Backpack SDU upgrade. You have to activate it in your inventory, and when you do you get three glorious more inventory slots (42 max, 45 w/ a bug). Prioritize saving Claptraps accordingly.
  • Similarly, you will find artifacts that imbue your class special ability with an elemental effect. You have to activate it from your inventory. If you get a message that you can't use it, either 1) it's for another class, or 2) you already have that level of elemental ability (there are 6 levels.) When you have multiple elements, you can change which element is active from the skills screen. It's a diamond to the left of your main ability.
  • In 90% of the games I've played, when you first fix the medkit/shield machine, the special sale item is a slightly improved shield with a slow health regen. Hugely useful. If you've looted everything to that point, you will be able to buy it.

FAQ's
  • Yes, you can respec your skill tree for a nominal fee. You go to a New-U station, which are pretty much everywhere (as soon as you enter a new area, you're next to one) and you can do it there for a certain percent of your wealth.
  • Where is the last piece?! For find-the-pieces quests, your quest marker only points you to the general area. If you can't find the last piece, use the treasure marker on your HUD instead of the quest marker.
  • You can play with multiples of the same class. Four Bricks? No problem.
  • Class mods require at least one skill point in whatever they are buffing. No points in Silent Resolve? No buff from the mod.
  • Class mods CAN exceed the normal five point limit of skills.
  • You can play with people of a higher or lower level than yourself, you'll get mad XP if you're the lower level player. Be advised there's a bug where you may get all their quests, which is confusing but shouldn't actually break anything.
  • Artifacts are consumed, not equipped. Go to your skill tree, and click the box to the left of your main class skill. You'll get a list of every artifact you've used. Pick whatever is best for the situation!
  • You do get to upgrade you inventory space eventually, quite considerably.
  • Getting a second car w/ 3-4 players is not intuitive. There's a tab in the vehicle spawn stations (use the shoulder button or mouse to access) for a second vehicle. That said, sometimes it's fun to just push a friend around Pandora with the front of your car.
  • Make no mistake, Gearbox made this an AWESOME single player game first and then a FUCKAWESOME multiplayer game second.

A few helpful links
Gearbox Forums (esp. known issues and fun screenshot thread)
Borderlands Wiki
Claptraps Guide

ss3xroland.jpg

The Vault Hunters!
408478_full.jpg
From left to right: Roland, Lilith, Mordecai, Brick

Roland
Roland is a former soldier of the Crimson Lance, a sort of highly trained private military that disregards law and order. A decade-old vendetta is rekindled when Roland learns that the leader of the Brigadiers has a suspiciously similar name to a man he has sworn to kill. Some of Roland's abilities are meant to supplement and support the party. His Leadership skill can boost the party's experience gains, while his Medical skill will increase health regeneration, and Support will increase weapon damage or regenerate ammunition for the party, Roland is a soldier class and the only class that doesn't have to worry about ammo as a special backpack produces an infinite supply.

Lilith
Once a human, Lilith at one point was turned into a siren. One of only six Sirens, they are a group of people with unbelievable powers, but no way to control them. She comes to Pandora in search of another Siren, in an effort to find out more about herself. Lilith is essentially the mage of the group, using her Siren powers to support the group and attack the enemy. Some of her powers include the ability to increase the group's rate of fire, as well as the power to create temporal bubbles, which she can manipulate to slow down enemies and hostile projectiles or speed up allies.

Mordecai
Mordecai came to Pandora in search of a man from his past named Demosthenes. Upon learning that Demosthenes has died, Mordecai sets off to learn how he died and what he was carrying. Mordecai's play style is that of a lone ranger, preferring to snipe enemies from afar. Some of his special abilities can augment the party's damage from headshots or give accuracy boosts and is a hunter class. Later in the game, he will befriend a bird-like creature named Bloodwing that will assist in combat.

Brick
A massive specimen of a man who likes to use his fists to smash the enemy above all else. He wears a necklace adorned with the paw of his beloved deceased dog. He fills in the tank niche and can take quite a beating as well having the ability to chug berserker-state inducing pills for short bursts of power.

Screenshots!
408480_full.jpg

408482_full.jpg

408484_full.jpg

408486_full.jpg

408488_full.jpg

bl1l.jpg

bl5.jpg

bl4.jpg

bl2.jpg

bl1.jpg

Super Useful PC Tweaks & Tips!
Updated 11/18
zhen_rogue wrote: »
NEW PC TWEAK:

There's a setting in WillowEngine.ini: "OneFrameThreadLag=true"
Change it to false if you don't want one frame of lag between your mouse motion and rendering.
Make sure you also have the previously OP listed "bEnableMouseSmoothing" value set to false.

This made a HUGE difference for me, the game feels so much more responsive now, especially in online play.
zhen_rogue wrote: »
Minor tip for PC folks that seem to escape a lot of people:

Press Y in game to private message a person on your friends list.
Syntax:
-Press Y
-Type: <friend's ID> <your message>

Also, chat messages are stored, so upon pressing Y again (this also works with T), just press the up arrow key to cycle through previously sent messages. This can be easier/faster than typing in the friends' name every time.

Note that you do NOT see what you have typed after pressing enter, it just closes the chat window.
There also seems to be a more forgiving queue with messages like this, for example if you send a message while your friend is zoning, logging in, etc.
On the downside, the fucking message still only displays on-screen for the standard 5 seconds, and as far as I know, there is no keystroke to pull up a window of previous messages/chats.

How to set screen resolution in windowed mode
I did this by editing the .INI files before launching the game. In WillowEngine.ini, I changed Fullscreen to false, changed ResX to 1600, and ResY to 900. So I run 1600x900 windowed on my 1680x1050 monitor. However, I think if you go poking around in the video settings after manually changing the .INI, the game will stomp your tweaks when it saves video settings. So make your preferred video changes in-game first, exit the game and twiddle the .INI, then relaunch.

How to change FOV:
>> my documents\games\borderlands\willowgame

open willowinput.ini
add
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
add it amongst the other bindings, change the fov to whatever you want and switch it by the corresponding keys

How to turn off In-Game Voice Chat:

open willowengine.ini

find bHasVoiceEnabled=true
change it to false and you wont be transmitting voice all the time. Then you can use a better voice chat system, like Steam VOIP or Ventrilo. At least until Gearbox decides to patch this version up :P

(shamelessly stolen from the GBX forums ;-))

If the mouse feels odd to you, try this:

open willowinput.ini

Find bEnableMouseSmoothing=true, change to false

How to turn off the opening splash screens:

1) Navigate to My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config
2) Open WillowEngine.ini
3) Search for "FullScreenMovie"
4) Erase all the entries in the [FullScreenMovie] section (Do not go past the next section title, wrapped in square brackets!)
5) Make the file read only: (Right click, properties, read only)
6) Done! All you see now is the engine logos and such (much better than seeing all the other videos).

Zoom Toggle

Within WillowInput.ini:

Put the text below under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="StartAltFire | setbind ThumbMouseButton zoomout",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftT rigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False, bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind ThumbMouseButton zoomin",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTr igger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,b IgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ThumbMouseButton",Command="zoomout ",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrig ger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnore Shift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

If you want to use the right mouse button to zoom:
Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton zoomout",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftT rigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False, bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton zoomin",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTr igger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,b IgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Also Find:
Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="advance dbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt =False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnor eCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

and Replace with:
Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="zoomin" ,Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=F alse,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreS hift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

To make crouch momentary instead of toggle:

Within WillowInput.ini

Search for the following line under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]:

advancedbutton bAdvancedButtonAux1 | SwitchSeats

and change to

Duck | SwitchSeats

To host an online game:

The following ports need to be opened / pushed to the host's internal IP address (YMMV):

6500 (TCP/UDP)
9989 (TCP/UDP)
7777 (TCP/UDP)
28900 (TCP)
27900 (UDP)
28910 (TCP)

ssinventory.jpg

STEAM Group, Bitches!
42a212c3617757ca87c3dff31ac56125a9700bc2_full.jpg
Join Steam group chat to drum up people for a game.

Gamespy IDs! What, Like You're So Special?
I will probably regret this, but if you want to be added to the list PM me. Forum name then GSID is the format.

IceBurner = Jezzgiott
rakuencallisto = rakuencallisto
Forar = ForarW
Darkchampion3d = PANuclearmonkee
addsbadgers = addsbadgers
tofu = killertorfu
Lawndart = Lawndart
Raoulduke20/SarahPalin = BongRips2012
DiannaoChong = DiannaoChong
DeMoN = Toxic_Cizzle
MonkeyConQueso = Aubvry
mojojoeo = xMojoJoeOx
Scribemite = Discomite
Senshi = Senshibot
Sunstrand = XxSunstrandxX
Darmak = darmakx99
fsmith1 = fsmith1
Goose! = g0oseyourself
Zetx = zet_ecks
Cobalt60 = CobaltSixty
Iolo = iolonotlolo
GoodkingjayIII = goodkingjayiii
Syphonblue = syphonblue
Edomatic = Jack&Jonsey
harvest = CrimsonHarvest
Izanagi-Okami = BulbasaurPA
Grape Ape = InauguralGomez
AustinP0027 = AustinP0027
wavecutter = wavecutter
Zerocow = PA_Zerocow
revcom = melian dialogue
darunia106 = darunia106
Khavall = Khavall
SanderJK = SanderJK
Hawk = SamuraiHawk
intelnavi = Commanderintelnavi
Antithesis = Morinaei
John Zoidberg = PA_Zoidberg
MagicPrime = MagicPrime
cwapfobrains = cwapfobrains
RisenPhoenix = KrylonBlack
TheBana = thebana
Kendrik = Kendrik01
Toastie Toast = ToastieToast
PikaPuff = PikaPuff
Zen Vulgarity = ZenVulgarity
Racist Joke = LeutGreen
Jakorian = jakorian
zhen_rogue = zhen_rogue
cogell = cogell
bushidogamer = bushidogamer
SimpsonsParadox = SimpsonsParadox
Pony = Mean_Pony
krizz02 = krizz02
Mahnmut = jericho89
Kainy = Kain3k

XBOX 360 MetaTags For Cool Dudes!
(simply add the tag and view the friends list of the tag, only PA'ers have this tag added so you'll only play with PA'ers. Smart, yes?

PA Borderwangs
Or if that one is full,
PA Wanglands

PSN Name-O'S!
PM me if you want in on the list. Alright, it's PA forum names first and the PSN names. You better get the reference! *shakes fist*

Clayburn as Caerus
Doctor Fink as Doctor_Fink
John Zoidberg as Stiff_Ninja
Antihippy as Antiwhippy
Flo as mechaflo
Lord_Asmodeus as Lord_Asmodeu
DasUberEdward as EdwardTheThird
-Loki- as qwertybig
Shorn Scrotum Man as sojakfa
Threepio as rogerwilco
stlobus as lobus
KidDynamite as NinjaForHire
wenchkilla as dragoniemx
GoodOmens as IsotopeX
Mr Pink as Euphanism
Descendant X as DescendantX
ElKaboom as himself
Bullfrogof7272 as himself
Johannen as himself
maraxus94 as himself
Ah_Pook as himself
fmz65 as himself
kazanma as himself
Spicy_Rev as Spicy_RevofDC
CoJoeTheLawyer as CoJoe
spiderpat01 as el_murceilago
Esh as LeLapinNoir
phekno as phekno

ssbadmuthamaniac.jpg

Skill Trees, Mother Fuckers!

BRICK
LILITH
MORDECAI
ROLAND

Elemental Damage, Weapons, and You!

Incendiary elemental property adds the effect of fire to weapons, mods, shields and some enemies. It is most effective against unshielded, flesh enemies, such as Bruisers and Skags. Incendiary weapons bullet burst into flames when they impact. When a fire element triggers, the enemy is lit on fire, dealing damage over time. If the enemy dies due to fire damage, their corpse will burn away.

Corrosive weapons cause splashes of acid to corrode at enemies. Corrosive weapons are effective against heavily armored enemies, like Skags or Spiderants. When a corrosive weapon's effect triggers, the enemy will start to take damage over time. The damage is less than that of a fire weapon of the same level, but the corrosive damage also makes the enemy more vulnerable to all damage while it is in effect. Enemies that die to corrosive damage will melt away.

Shock weapons crackle with electricity and are very effective against shields, making them useful against shielded bandits and alien guardians. Shock bullets will crack with electricity when they impact. When a shock weapon's effect triggers, high damage is dealt to the enemy's shield and they take damage over time. If an enemy dies to shock damage, their face burns away and reveals their skull.

Explosive weapons' bullets explode when they impact, making them very effective against groups of lesser enemies. The explosions deal splash damage to nearby enemies when the effect triggers. Enemies that die to an explosive weapon blow into pieces.

Levels of Effect: The level of elemental effect on your gun effects two things:

1. How likely an element effect is to occur

2. How likely a more powerful element effect is to occur

So higher element level means there is more potential for you to score elemental attacks and more potential for them to be largely damaging.

Now on to the extremely interesting part, how each weapon scores and elemental hit:

Snipers: By far one of the most interesting, Snipers actually charge their element between shots. So the longer between your shots, the higher the chance is of a high elemental effect.

Revolvers: Slightly interesting as well, with a Revolver it's just a roll of the dice. Almost every shot will have element to it, but most times it will be a low level. Keep shooting and you're likely to hit the jackpot and score a high element burst.

SMG/Repeater Pistol: Each bullet has a chance to inflict the gun's max element effect.

Combat Rifle/Machine Pistol: The first few shots of a burst will have higher chances to inflict a high level element effect.

Shotgun: Another gamble with elemental damage but a bit different from the Revolver. With Shotguns it's: all pellets have an elemental effect or none of the pellets have an elemental effect.

Rocket Launcher: Always scores a high rank elemental effect.

gunsgunsguns.jpg

Class Mods! A Path To A Better You!
Courtesy of Iolo

Eventually you'll find class mods which can be equipped in your inventory (under your shield and grenade mod). Class mods can add points to skills in your skill tree. Mods can also affect other skills, like a soldier mod that gives the whole team ammo regen or a siren mod that increases SMG damage. There are 5-6 types of mods for each class, each with a name (like Siren's Plaguebringer, Mercenary, Firefly, etc.) and each coming in various strengths and configurations. Mods also tend to be worth more money than low level guns and grenade mods you'll find in the same area, so even mods for other classes may be worth making space for (when solo) to sell.

Rarity! From Bestest to Worstest!

Pearl
Dark Orange
Orange
Yellow
Purple
Blue
Green
White

Items in your inventory are sorted by rarity. With your most rarest items at the top of the list. So double check that "white" weapon that is listed above your Orange weapon, it's more than likely a Pearl.

Very Handy Map (Spoilers Ahoy)

Someone linked all the maps together and marked all the crates and claptraps. It dragable and zoomable and pretty sweet, although not all the crates are marked (it's missing one from the New Haven Run (cf. below) for example.)

Extra!
SyphonBlue wrote: »
So, apparently you can use Gamespy Comrade with Borderlands. It's like Steam-ish, with a friends list and everything.

Get it here: http://comrade.gamespy.com

Everyone should get it.

Edit: I'm not sure if you can jump into a friend's game, but at least you can add people easily and see who is online and playing without having to launch the game.

sscrystalcaves.jpg

Chance.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
Steam profile.
Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
Iolo on

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    NEW HAVEN CHEST RUN;
    Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and WOOOOOOOO GUNS
    newhave.jpg
    First, the treasure map!
    chestmap.png

To help clarify how to get to all these in (I think) the least amount of time, here is a step-by-step run through the town:
    After loading in at the New Haven spawn point, turn 90 degrees to your right. You will see a staircase in front of you:

chest1.png

Run up these stairs and proceed straight across the buildings, following the planks that bridge the gaps.

You will come to the last building which has a ledge around the left side:

chest2.png

Hop the ledge and turn to the right around the corner. Chest #1!

Now, turn north and look along the town wall. You will see a platform with a cloth awning above it:

chest3.png

Run down the wall and jump your way on top of the awning.

Next, turn back to the south and look at the building we just came from:

chest4.png

Sneaky! Chest #2!

Now turn and look across the courtyard to your left. You will need to jump down and run across to a shack with a small hole in the wall:

chest5.png

Run to it and crouch to get in:

chest6.png

Sneaky again! Chest #3!

Now we turn due south and sprint to the weapons vendor outside Marcus' shop. Here I sell all the junk I have and check for any good deals.

From the weapon vendor, keep heading south and run up the staircase on the left side of the street:

chest7.png

Up the stairs to our next jump. Hop onto the washing machine, and then the small box on top of it. This lets you get to the roof:

chest8.png

The chest is behind the satellite dish. Chest #4!

Now head to the south edge of the building. This is tricky. Sprint and jump down to the protruding ledge of the next building to the south:

chest9.png

Upon landing, continue to sprint south along the edge. When you hit the end, leap across to the awning on the side of the garage building. You will have to sprint to make this leap! If you fall, hop on the barrel right there to get back up.

Once you are upon the lower roof, you can climb up the protruding metal sheet to get roof access:

chest10.png

Gaining the roof will reward you with Chest #5!

chest11.png

Turn south once more and drop down to the ground. Sprint across the road through the gap in the junk and follow the path up and to the left:

chest12.png

Chest #6 is under an awning. Note: hug the wall to the left side to avoid aggroing the scythids that can spawn there:

chest13.png

And there you have it! Just exit the game and reload to do it again. If you sell at the vendor each time you won't have to worry about getting full on items. Also, to the east of the last chest is a small bandit camp I like to use to test new guns I found.

Understanding Gun Flavor Text!

Found in the stats boxes of guns are sometimes cryptic or humorous messages. These lines indicate a certain effect on the gun. Several decoded messages are as follows:

010011110100110101000111 (OMG) - Shoots an AoE electrical shock; similar to a rocket launcher. (Eridian 101100 Cannon)
    2 More Bullets Makes All The Difference - Fires 5 round burst instead of standard 3 round burst. (Combat Rifles)
    A beast of many forms - Fire, Lightning, and Poison. - Bullets alternate between the 3 elemental damage types on every shot. (Revolvers)
    A Gift from Papa Krom - Fires a three-shot burst when aiming. (Repeater Pistols)
    A hunter lives among the stars... - Chance to do Random Shock Damage in vicinity of user when fired. (Sniper Rifles)
    Aim for the Sniper - Better accuracy while scoped. (Shotguns)
    A Lead Wind Blows... - Fires two bullets per one ammo. (SMGs)
    A Watchful Eye - Increased zoom. (The Sentinel)
    Ammo is no longer an issue. - Regenerates Ammo. (Repeater Pistols)
    BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM! - While scoped, a five round burst. (Sniper Rifles)
    Be Careful Not to Drop It... Might Lose A Toe - +100% Melee Damage. (Repeater Pistols)
    Beware The Horde - Once fired, one rocket becomes several. The longer the rockets travel, the more they split, which can lead to 20+ rockets for a single shot! (Rocket Launchers)
    Beyond Groovy - Fires rockets instead of regular ammo. (Shotgun - Obtained from killing Flynt)
    Big Tony says "Hi" - Massive magazine size. (Repeater Pistols)
    Bring Out Your Dead - High Corrosion Chance. (Shotguns, reference to the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail)
    Bring The HEAT! - Incendiary Rounds. (Revolvers, Repeater Pistols)
    Careful... you might put someone's eye out - unknown (Rider, reference to the movie 'A Christmas Story'; Specifically the Red Rider BB gun and the infamous saying "You'll shoot your eye out.")
    Cross Their Heart, Hope They Die - Spread follows a cross-shaped pattern. (Shotguns)
    Death Rains from Above - Additional rockets fire from the initial explosion. (Rocket Launchers)
    Double Whammy! - Shoots 2 bullets (per shot) at a 200% Burst Fire - (Revolvers, Repeater Pistols)
    Drop the Hammer - Chance to cause massive damage, pellet spread on wall is in the shape of a hammer. (Shotguns)
    Fast Hands - Super fast reload.
    Feel the Sting - Fires 2 bullets with each shot. (Repeater Pistols)
    Five Heads of Death - Each shot fires five tightly-grouped bursts, spaced out along a horizontal path. (Shotguns)
    Fools! They call me maaaad! - Bullets zig-zag when fired, and ricochet. (Revolvers)
    For the Mother Land - Ignores shield. (Snipers)
    Give Sick. - High chance for Corrosive damage, effect has a chance to transfer to nearby enemies.
    Gonna cook someone today - Creates small nuclear explosion when fired. (Rocket Launchers)
    Guns of the Revolution never fall silent. - Massive Magazine. (Combat Rifles)
    Hallelujah! - Regenerates Ammo (SMG's)
    Have A Nice Day - Shots create a 'smiley-face' pattern, not really.
    Hold Your Ground... Forever - Regenerates Ammo (Combat Rifles)
    Holy Crap, It Shoots Rockets! - shoots rockets instead of pellets. (Shotguns, uses the weapon's ammo type not actual rockets)
    I Can Do This All Day... - Regenerates Ammo. (Shotguns)
    "I feel like I'm gonna break this thing." - Slower walking speed while held, causes massive shock damage (Alien Rifles, reference to the movie 'Men In Black'; Specifically, the ridiculously-powerful miniature handgun, 'The Noisy Cricket')
    I Have You In My Eye, Sir - Massive Zoom. (Seen on a white sniper rifle)
    I LIKE IT! - Massive explosive damage. (Sniper Rifles)
    Invade your skull. - While scoped, fires the entire clip in one burst. (Repeater Pistols)
    I spy with my little eye... - Massive scope zoom. (SMG's)
    It Rises! - Rockets have an arced trajectory. (Rocket Launchers)
    It's a Helluvah Thing - Speculated to have some knockback effect.
    It's a Painful Thing - ??? (The Blister)
    Lightning never strikes the same place twice, but it can strike freaking everywhere! - Area-of-Effect Shock (Alien Rifles)
    Makes Their Brain Hurt - Each shot fires a shotgun-like burst. (Sniper Rifles)
    May God have mercy upon my enemies because I won't - Ignores shields. (Is a famous quote from Patton, WWIl U.S. Army General)
    Monster Kill! - Fires all rockets simultaneously with each trigger pull. (Rocket Launchers, possible reference to the 'Unreal' Series, mainly on the PC, where the rocket launchers can shoot up the six rockets with one shot. Getting five kills within four seconds of each other is a MONSTER KILL!)
    Never Stop Shooting - Regenerates ammo. (Repeater Pistols)
    Omnia vincit amor - 100% critcal damage bonus. (Lady Finger)
    One Bad Dog - Massive Magazine. (Shotguns)
    OMG! it shoots rockets! - FIRES ROCKETS (found randomly on a midget shotgunner and was white rarity.)shotgun)
    Pain Heals. - Heals your co-op buddy when you shoot him.
    Pele demands a sacrifice! - Massive Fire Damage.
    Pew Pew Pew! - Has a chance to home in on your target.
    Ride the Wave, Dude! - Bullets follow a wave pattern up and down as they go out from the gun. (Shotgun)
    Slice Slice! - 300% Melee Damage.
    Sniper Killer... Qu'est que c'est - Fully Automatic. (Sniper Rifles, reference to the song Psycho Killer by the Talking Heads, the lyrics are "Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est?"; The full phrase in French is Un ami, qu'est-ce que c'est?)
    Sniper Rifles are for Chumps. - High accuracy, tight pellet spread. (Shotguns)
    Sometimes, I Forget To Reload - Unlimited ammo. - ( The Dove)
    Tear it up - 300% Burst Fire Count. (SMG's)
    The All-Seeing Eye. - Massive zoom. (Combat Rifles)
    The Cutting Edge - Shots have a chance to ignore shields, massive zoom. (Sniper Rifles)
    The Destructor has come. - While scoped, fires the entire clip in one burst. (Combat Rifles, reference to the movie Ghost Busters; Specifically a quote from the character "Gozer the Gozerian")
    The Legend Lives - Knocks target back when hit. (Shotguns)
    The ultimate close quarters feline. - Large magazine with low accuracy. (SMG's)
    Thwack - Critical Damage deals more damage. (Sniper Rifle)
    TORGUE! Bastard guns for bastard people! - Massive damage bonus (Torgue brand Combat Rifles)
    Unending Firepower - Ammo is unlimited, it spends when you fire, but instantly regenerates.
    Unrelenting Firepower - Regenerates ammo. (Revolvers)
    The Unstoppable Force! - Rockets periodically explode in mid-flight. (Rocket Launchers, note the rocket continues traveling to hit its target, regardless of how many times it explodes in flight.)
    Vengeance is Yours -100% melee damage, possibly. (Repeater Pistols
    Walk It Off - Chance to score a critical hit on an enemy's legs. (Sniper rifles)
    War is in your blood - Massive Magazine. (Combat Rifles)-( The Meat Grinder)
    Why Don't You Go Shoot Yourself An Elephant? - Massive Damage, no scope. (Sniper Rifles)
    We Don't Need No Water... - x4 Fire. (SMG)
    Your Move, Creep - Fires a three-round burst per one ammo. (Repeater Pistols references the movie Robocop, the clue is one of the character's catchphrases, and the three-round burst is indicative of his signature sidearm, the Auto-9)

Note: Some of these effects may not be 100% accurate.

Also, some of these effects only apply to certain guns, such as those dropped by bosses, and the description relates to the boss itself, such as the description for "The Clipper" says "Be Careful Not to Drop It... Might Lose A Toe" belongs to the boss "Nine Toes " and is the reason for his namesake.

Manufacturers! aka: Brand Loyalty!

Atlas - All around good accuracy, fire rate, power, and low recoil for the level of the weapon. Rare at lower levels.
    Dahl - These weapons will most likely have less recoil than most guns.
    Eridians - Alien weaponry, generally high damage, unlimited ammunition.
    Hyperion - These weapons feature long range scopes and high accuracy.
    Jakobs - These weapons will typically have high damage, even without additional effects.
    Maliwan - Weapons made by this corporation will always do elemental damage.
    S&S Munitions - This company makes guns with extended magazines.
    Tediore - This company makes guns that are lightweight and will reload faster.
    Torgue - Typicaly combine good damage, low recoil, and high fire rate.
    Vladof - Fires quicker than most other average guns.

Kasanagi's Intro to Weapon Modding & Other Tales(Updated 11/20)
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    Kasanagi wrote: »
    itemcard00003.png

Behold, the hax.

I plan to make some interesting weapons later, but it doesn't look like an easy task..
    Sorenson wrote: »
    D:

...mother of god. What hath science wrought?

(Also, links to the thread you mentioned, pleeeeeeeeeze)

EDIT: Wait a minute, Double Bone Shredder...don't tell me there's an x2 on that thing.

I suppose some answers are needed here:

1. I did not make this, I found rick's save game editor via the somethingawful forums BL thread, and in the comments of the latest revision someone linked that and asked what parts and modifiers were used. I just figured it was a good way to demonstrate just what kind of monstrosities are possible with a bit of modding.

2. Save game editor is here. There are others, but this is the one I prefer so far. You 360 folks can actually use this save editor too, but you'll need to acquire the save files from your xbox first. More info on those options here. These are not in any way officially supported of course, and definitely constitute cheating, though seeing as there's no ladder and hardly any PVP to speak of, it's not taken too seriously as an offense.

3. Creating/Modifying a weapon is a tricky process. When you look at weapons in the save game editor, you'll have these long underscored links like acc3_Maliwan_Corrosive_Plague for each part of the gun, and there are around 9 parts including "accessory" modifiers and effects (those are treated, for the purposes of creating/modding guns, as a part). What most of the modders are recommending right now is that you pick up an otherwise useless gun (for example, a cheap repeater with a new character) then delete all the parts modifiers from the fields in the save editor. What you'll be left with is the raw gun (somehow still a gun with base stats) which you can then customize with parts as you see fit. I don't know to what extent these effects and parts are interchangeable, so I wouldn't go trying to attach a rocket launcher barrel to a revolver. What I WOULD recommend trying though is finding that Holy Crap it Shoots Rockets (or HCISR for short) effect and applying it to other guns, or taking once proprietary red text effects (like the butcher shotguns and the "Ahhh, fresh meat" red text, which gives 500% burst fire) and throwing it on a sniper rifle or something.

So far the worst I've heard in terms of side effects is your gun can't be rendered by the game, so while it can be equipped and used it will have no graphical representation. This could also be seen as a feature, allowing you to make "weapons" that would appear as if you're casting magic :O

Gearbox forumers are going to town on gun-modding.

This thread has fun pictures of various parts and at least one dude making Pandora versions of Earth weapons.

This thread is a doctoral dissertation on gun components and their possible combinations.

P90Violator.jpg
    Sorenson wrote: »
    It is completily without class and is certainely in bad taste, but man there is nothing like sticking gd_weap_combat_shotgun.Barrel.barrel3_Carnage into every possible slot on a rocket launcher.
    ItemCard00009.jpg
    Not pictured is the x6, which shoots two triple helixes and for which I have no idea as to how it came to be. So yes, we're talking almost 150,000 damage a second. Skagzilla at 51? Done in with a single clip.

It's so fucking awesome even the enemy giblets are frozen in awe:
    Y HALLO THAR
    Borderlands-FrozenGibs.jpg

Revolver.jpg

PC version crashing?
    I have a useful tip you can add possibly. If you are experiencing crashes that cause your pc to stop responding every half hour, hour or two hours, downclocking your graphics card just a bit apparently does the trick. My OC'ed 4890 was apparently just too damn fast for this game to handle. Funny thing is it now runs even better than before.

It's a big blue watery road
    XBox secret achievement spoiler
    0ICLiGJhbC9MCBoEGlxTVkU3L2FjaC8wLzI4AAAAAOfn5-+2IsU=.jpg
    You're on a boat!
    I bet you never thought you'd be here.

Tee-hee ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg

cadce37b882ef839e0348229668f169872d8b7b5.jpg

d21dbe628a0f966a6bbf2085f48dfe3ba492c04f.jpg

Did you know this is what Borderlands looked like before the awesome redesign?
    942811_20080716_790screen002.jpg

borderlands6050620071017_133320_3_big.jpg

Ain't No Rest For The Wicked:
    Awesome-tastic Videos!

ComicCon 2009 trailer set to "No Heaven" by DJ Champion

Borderlands is for REAL GAMERS

Borderlands: Claptrap Web Series ep. 1

Borderlands: Claptrap Web Series ep. 2

third.jpg

When posting in this thread or playing online with PAers remember the words of Jesus:
    jesus-says.jpg

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I'll have to do a Brick, if only because there are so few of him when I go online (ps3). Punchy for playthrough 1, shooty for later on. He gets some pretty decent class mods for all purpose gun use, right?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grislo wrote: »
    I think I'll have to do a Brick, if only because there are so few of him when I go online (ps3). Punchy for playthrough 1, shooty for later on. He gets some pretty decent class mods for all purpose gun use, right?

Yeah, that is a pretty good way to do it. Punchy is unbeatable in Playthrough 1, but then Master Blaster is the way to go in Playthrough 2. There's just too much damage to tankasaurus rex for the most part in #2, though maybe with a Roland pumping sweet, hot lead into your back it'd be different.

Though, this guy claims that Brick's Fists of Justice can carry you through the game.

Galielmus on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just hit 50 with my Siren. Restarted the game with Roland, and my god, does he make the early game easier. Guessing I'll going to get demolished on playthrough 2 with him though.

The Fourth Estate on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy crap, the hacked guns thing is sweet. I'd probably even take a stab at it if I weren't busy playing Borderlands. I can't wait to see the monstrosities people are going to create.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gunslinger mordecai + good revolver = game over

Also, cold torment is sick... even if i can outrun my bullets

Joe Chemo on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    blu-dottin' and one-shottin'

i think

i think this is the 4 player co-op shooter that's really clicked with me

L4D and TF2 are all well and good, but they didn't hook me like this has.

last night i joined a pubbie game with some good 40-50 fellas and we got to a section with spiderants and it was WALL TO WALL BADMUTHAS

seriously

you could not even breathe

when we finished the massacre, the bodies were just piled up EVERYWHERE. it was actually a kind of sober experience to look at the carnage we had wrought. not too many games will just keep all of the bodies on the field.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Link to PC patch where?

Link to PC patch here.

Falx on
  • TheRussianFunkTheRussianFunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So having two teammates who are
    1- Roland with crazy ammo regen (credit to team he is)
    2- Brick with crazy nutso rocket launcher

make my life as mordecai hell, we'll come up on a group of enemies, and as I pull up my zoom on a badmutha, Brick just starts leaping and firing rockets EVERYWHERE. Suddenly the entire landscape is covered in fire, obscuring absolutely everything. I just hang my head, start firing indiscriminately, and let bloodwing take off.

Our brick also uses the 'regen health while enraging' or whatever it is, so we'll all be sittin around checking out loot after a big fight, and as we all huddle around the gun chest, brick just starts losing his shit. The funniest thing though was when he hit crazy-mode and accidentally fell off a cliff in the promontory, it sounded just like a cartoon ABLAUHGHUAUGHHhUHhHHHHHHhhhhhhh........ (Brick has died)

TheRussianFunk on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grislo wrote: »

Yeah. Bricks Berserk skill seems quite lacklustre in the ending areas of playthrough two. Even with Juggernaut activated some Badmutha bosses can reduce my HP from 1400 to tens in a couple of seconds.

also: I love Fire Elemental Rocket Launchers.

Their explosions remind me of Metal Slug.

Sigtyr on
  • Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a useful tip you can add possibly. If you are experiencing crashes that cause your pc to stop responding every half hour, hour or two hours, downclocking your graphics card just a bit apparently does the trick. My OC'ed 4890 was apparently just too damn fast for this game to handle. Funny thing is it now runs even better than before.

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hear if more than 1 Hunter uses the Bloodwing glitch in the same game it gets a bit buggy. True?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit the OP has gotten really good on this thread. Nice work!

I've only got 4 achievements to go but I've been neglecting this game due to like 4 other games right now :(

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I found a dark orange CR last night, level 42 I think. Sadly its not very good. It has no elemental effect on it and the clip size is fairly small.

I've been playing co-op with a buddy. I'm Mordecai bird spec, and he's Lilith. Even with my super powerful bird, it feels like he does most of the work. I can get a few kills once every thirty seconds or so, whereas he never stops being a badass ever. I haven't tried Roland or Brick yet, but just from what I've seen of Mordecai and Lilith, the classes are not very balanced. Lilith is just goddamn amazing. My friend is using a level 25 orange SMG and he does way more damage than me with my 42 CR.

Lucascraft on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I finished my first play with Betty, my Siren. She was a level 36, I guess, when I beat the end boss. Speaking of the end boss, I skipped all the spoilers in the last thread so I'm sure I'll be covering old ground, but here's what I think.
    That was a boss? It looked like a boss, but I had cut through half of its hitpoints by the time the Guardian Angel was hinting about a weak spot in her pep talk. My Desert Anarchy SMG cut it down in what seemed like four or five mags. And the mouth as it's weak spot? Not only is it just completely obvious, but it's a huge target that was just too available for pummeling. The boss sure did look cool though and the Claptrap Ninja Assassin bit was just awesomely funny. Even though the final boss fight was anti-climatic (and I really, really wanted to shoot Steele extra hard with my bullets), this is the most fun I've had with a game in years.

So yeah, I'm going to concentrate on either a Hunter (Archie) or a Soldier (Jughead) next. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards the Soldier. So bring on the DLC! And I mean lots of it! More quests! More Regions! More indoor CQB! And a stash, good lord give us a stash, I mean really, how do you not put a stash in a game with this style loot system in this day and age? I mean Diablo II has been around how long now?

Drake on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Like, for Realz? I think i need to play this 4 player to experience what the whole game is about.

joshua1 on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Minor tip for PC folks that seem to escape a lot of people:

Press Y in game to private message a person on your friends list.
    Syntax:
    -Press Y
    -Type: <friend's ID> <your message>

Also, chat messages are stored, so upon pressing Y again (this also works with T), just press the up arrow key to cycle through previously sent messages. This can be easier/faster than typing in the friends' name every time.

Note that you do NOT see what you have typed after pressing enter, it just closes the chat window.
    There also seems to be a more forgiving queue with messages like this, for example if you send a message while your friend is zoning, logging in, etc.
    On the downside, the fucking message still only displays on-screen for the standard 5 seconds, and as far as I know, there is now keystroke to pull up a window of previous messages/chats.

zhen_rogue on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    So I finished my first play with Betty, my Siren. She was a level 36, I guess, when I beat the end boss. Speaking of the end boss, I skipped all the spoilers in the last thread so I'm sure I'll be covering old ground, but here's what I think.
    That was a boss? It looked like a boss, but I had cut through half of its hitpoints by the time the Guardian Angel was hinting about a weak spot in her pep talk. My Desert Anarchy SMG cut it down in what seemed like four or five mags. And the mouth as it's weak spot? Not only is it just completely obvious, but it's a huge target that was just too available for pummeling. The boss sure did look cool though and the Claptrap Ninja Assassin bit was just awesomely funny. Even though the final boss fight was anti-climatic (and I really, really wanted to shoot Steele extra hard with my bullets), this is the most fun I've had with a game in years.

So yeah, I'm going to concentrate on either a Hunter (Archie) or a Soldier (Jughead) next. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I'm leaning heavily towards the Soldier. So bring on the DLC! And I mean lots of it! More quests! More Regions! More indoor CQB! And a stash, good lord give us a stash, I mean really, how do you not put a stash in a game with this style loot system in this day and age? I mean Diablo II has been around how long now?

The bosses are a lot tougher in the second playthrough.

At level 36 you were many levels higher than the end boss, so you ended up with an insane damage bonus. I was level 37 when I beat him and I burned him down very, very fast.

In contrast, in the second playthrough you'll be level 50 to his 51. I ran out of SMG ammo and nearly out of Combat Rifle ammo.

gjaustin on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice OP. Much love for this game!

corin7 on
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jeez, my soldier seems to be getting all the amazing weapons my hunter would have wanted on top of a dozen oranges :/

wtf game

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
    edited November 2009
    Just hit 50 with my Siren. Restarted the game with Roland, and my god, does he make the early game easier. Guessing I'll going to get demolished on playthrough 2 with him though.

You might find your damage output lacking a bit, depending on what you had in terms of weapons with the siren, but Roland has a few decent skills, and some pretty good class mods. He's certainly not weak in PT2, but you'll probably notice a difference.

Sigtyr: Try a spread launcher with 4x fire. It looks awesome. It's pretty useless, but it looks awesome.

Grislo on
    edited November 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »

The bosses are a lot tougher in the second playthrough.

At level 36 you were many levels higher than the end boss, so you ended up with an insane damage bonus. I was level 37 when I beat him and I burned him down very, very fast.

In contrast, in the second playthrough you'll be level 50 to his 51. I ran out of SMG ammo and nearly out of Combat Rifle ammo.

Yeah, I started the final quest when it was at Normal difficulty but by the time I hit the end I'd leveled a couple of times and that was enough to put it into the Trivial category. I think a Minimum Quest run is going to be in order soon, once I feel like wringing as much punishment as I can out of the game. Right now I'm having too much fun dominating everything in sight though. I think I may respec to an Elemental Assassin build (since Phase Strike is finally fixed for PC) and just go Supernova all over Playthrough 1 Pandora for the hell of it.

Drake on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did the patch fuck anyone else's graphics up? I'm assuming it's the patch, as I haven't even really used my computer since MW2 came out, but when I tried to game with a buddy last night I had the weirdest artifacting.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Did the patch fuck anyone else's graphics up? I'm assuming it's the patch, as I haven't even really used my computer since MW2 came out, but when I tried to game with a buddy last night I had the weirdest artifacting.

I think resetting the shadows on your graphics options, then restarting the game fixes that. Try a reboot if that doesn't handle it. I think. I don't know for sure, since I've only heard about this problem and haven't actually experienced it myself.

Drake on
    edited November 2009

I think resetting the shadows on your graphics options, then restarting the game fixes that. Try a reboot if that doesn't handle it. I think. I don't know for sure, since I've only heard about this problem and haven't actually experienced it myself.

That sounds like it might be right. What do you mean "resetting the shadows" though? I just turned 'em off and put up with the few other graphical glitches that occurred (with water and smoke).

Darkewolfe on
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

No love for Moose the berserker?

Beat the game last night with Roland at level 36. While the boss was a bit of a disappointment, god the Eridian Promontory was awesome. Dodging badass guardians, those flying guardians and lance was the best part of the game for me.

I Zimbra on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone else having issues with shadows not rendering properly on PC? I think it's a Steam version problem, but maybe it affects all versions, idunno. Anyway, this is what my game looks like sometimes:
    borderlandssteambroken.jpg
    Sadface. :cry: It tends to go away (at least temporarily) on reboot, so that's something, but still...
    Lucascraft wrote:
    I've been playing co-op with a buddy. I'm Mordecai bird spec, and he's Lilith. Even with my super powerful bird, it feels like he does most of the work. I can get a few kills once every thirty seconds or so, whereas he never stops being a badass ever. I haven't tried Roland or Brick yet, but just from what I've seen of Mordecai and Lilith, the classes are not very balanced. Lilith is just goddamn amazing. My friend is using a level 25 orange SMG and he does way more damage than me with my 42 CR.
    I have a level 50 Mordecai Pistol-specced, just on the cusp of finishing Playthrough 2. My friend's playing a 50 Lillith, and I feel we're roughly on par damage-wise. I mostly use revolvers, with a Gunslinger class mod that increases pistol fire rate by ~70% and adds 4 level to Relentless. When I get the kill shot on something and Relentless procs, that's another +70% fire rate, so I can unload 7 revolver rounds (6 plus 1 from Hair Trigger) in a second and a half or so.

Everybody talks about how awesome the Bloodwing is, but I'm not feeling it in P2, where his damage is often laughable against anything remotely difficult. Also, there's too many times I've seen him get stuck in a wall, or stuck in a building, or flitting around unable to path to a target, or flitting around looking for more targets when the only enemy still standing is one Badmutha whatever and I need my fucking Out For Blood heal like right now goddammit. The only thing I use the bird for now is an emergency heal, and to daze Badmuthas. If I can find a class mod with +2 Team Find Rare Items, I'll probably move the points out of the Bloodwing cooldown talent and put them into Ransack instead.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I battle my way through the hell that is the Tetanus Caverns (don't worry - both me and Bloodwing have had our shots) in order to get to King Wee-Wee after the Playthrough 2 for a level 48 WeeWee Shield (its important to shield your wee-wee), but shaft! No Wee-Wee post Playthrough 2 :(

Galielmus on
    edited November 2009
    Burger, we were just discussing those problems in the posts above you.

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2009
    Burger, we were just discussing those problems in the posts above you.
    Hah, yeah, I spend so damn long writing my posts sometimes. What is with these people at work? Don't they know I have more important things to do? Like talk about Borderlands?

vonPoonBurGer on
    edited November 2009

That sounds like it might be right. What do you mean "resetting the shadows" though? I just turned 'em off and put up with the few other graphical glitches that occurred (with water and smoke).

I just mean, turn them off, then exit the game, then start the game again and try turning on the shadows again.
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    No love for Moose the berserker?

Beat the game last night with Roland at level 36. While the boss was a bit of a disappointment, god the Eridian Promontory was awesome. Dodging badass guardians, those flying guardians and lance was the best part of the game for me.

Moose is most likely third in line. Just after all the in your face action that is a Siren, I think a more stand off approach will freshen things up for my second character. At this moment I'm thinking Soldier is the way to go.

Drake on
    edited November 2009
    I just mean, turn them off, then exit the game, then start the game again and try turning on the shadows again.
    I'll try this the next time it happens to me, hoping it works because it'll be much more convenient than rebooting every time my shadows go wacky.

vonPoonBurGer on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so is the 360 not getting the 5 lines patch? Or did it already get it?

aBlank on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

This I would like to know.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    edited November 2009
    So, has there been any mention of the DLC actually coming out in all regions at once, or do we have to wait for it in Europe?

Grislo on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »

This I would like to know.

There has only been one patch for the 360 so far, that was prior to the 5 lines showing up on their to fix issues.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I should see if I can get up to level 50. I'm currently at 47. Not before I finish all the campaigns in Left 4 Dead 2, though.

Peewi on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm on my third character. Started with a Siren, got bitten by the 'UNLOCK ALL QUESTS BUG' and we sorta retired that group due to having no real direction and having to sort through shittons of missions to see where we were meant to be, and the whole TK Clone bug was irritating. So we started over (as we got a new player) and switched characters around.

I wasn't enjoying Mordecai that much - I love the Bloodwing, but I love Phasewalk more. So the Siren and I switched and started new characters. Level 19, almost up to the level 24/25 group so we can start playing with them again, but this'll be the third time through, and I'm worried we'll stall out at New Haven again. We're aiming to just trade the weapons our level 24/25 Hunter and Siren have to the lowbies, so we don't end up losing hours to New Haven Chest Runs, but...

I'm just hoping we don't stall out at New Haven again and push through to the end of the game. We all love it to bits, but repeating the content is arrrrgh.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited November 2009
    Can't you just agree not to waste time on chest runs?

Also, don't remember if this was posted earlier; Beware standing behind a rakk hive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdGHVFTU1-k

Grislo on
  • Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think Gametrailers released some Island of Dr. Ned videos with the world's worst siren playing through it.

Dr. Ned's got a rocking 'stache.

Jay Foxfire on
    Mailman12089.jpg
This discussion has been closed.