As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D at PAX East 2010

Black Flame ZealotBlack Flame Zealot D&D Program ManagerRenton, WARegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Just a heads up. Wizards of the Coast will be there, running D&D games at the show. See below for the schedule.

Brand-New to D&D
D&D Learn-to-Play
Want to learn how to play D&D 4th Edition? We’ll teach you all the basics, and send you out on your first adventure! Everything is provided for you, and you can even keep your character. A 3-4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
Runs Friday 3 pm and 7 pm; Saturday 11 am, 3 pm, and 7 pm; Sunday 11 am

New and Experienced D&D Players
D&D Encounters: Undermountain Session 1
Get caught up with D&D Encounters, our newest official D&D 4th Edition play program. Journey to Undermountain, one of the most infamous dungeons ever created, and uncover the secrets of Halaster’s Lost Apprentice. D&D Encounters is a weekly, in-store mini-campaign played out each Wednesday one encounter at a time. If you play sessions 1 and 2 here, you’ll be ready to play session 3 at your local store next week! You can create your own 1st-level character or use one of our pre-generated characters. Session 1 is a 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
Runs Friday 3 pm and 7 pm; Saturday 11 am, 3 pm , and 7 pm; Sunday 11 am

D&D Encounters: Undermountain Session 2
This is session 2 of the D&D Encounters: Undermountain convention special. See Session 1 for details. It is recommended you play session 1 before playing session 2. Session 2 is a 2 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
Runs Friday 5 pm and 9 pm; Saturday 1 pm, 5 pm, and 9 pm; Sunday 1 pm

D&D Convention Delve: Ruins of the Spectral Glade
The deadly woods of the Spectral Glade hold ancient ruins and priceless treasures. Will your hero vanquish the evil at the heart of the forest and claim its riches, or become just one more nameless corpse? Play as often as you like and earn prizes! 3rd-level characters are provided. A 1 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
Runs Friday 2 pm – 10 pm; Saturday 10 am – 10 pm; Sunday 10 am – 2 pm

Some D&D Experience Recommended
D&D Dark Sun Preview: Death in the Arena
Get special sneak peeks at the newest D&D campaign setting releasing this summer! A templar holds a relic believed to be the key to unlocking a site of ancient power. Can you convince an agent of the sorcerer-king to relinquish the Seal of the Seven Winds without paying the ultimate price? A DARK SUN preview adventure set in the city-state of Tyr. 1st-level characters are provided. A 4 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
Runs Friday 3 pm and 7 pm; Saturday 11 am and 3 pm; Sunday 11 am

D&D DM Challenge: Horrors of the Underdark
This DM Challenge is a special one-time event running only at PAX East! DMs bring their best and most dangerous 6th-level Underdark adventures for you to conquer; rate your play experience to determine the best adventure of the evening! 6th-level characters are provided. A 4-6 hour D&D 4th Edition play experience.
Runs Saturday 7 pm

Other Events
Three-Dragon Ante Tournament
Play a few rounds of this fantastic card game using images from the Dungeons & Dragons game! The tournament winner takes home a stack of D&D books, and we might have some other surprises in store! A 4 hour play experience.
Runs Friday 7 pm

D&D Seminar: Save My Game! Live
Have a rules question or a problem at your table? Keep the action flowing and get DM tips as we troubleshoot your gameplay and DMing questions. The Wizards staff takes on all questions and gives you answers!
Runs Sunday 2:30 – 3:30 pm

D&D Program Manager
Wizards of the Coast
http://www.twitter.com/christulach
Black Flame Zealot on

• Options
    Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is cool. i recently tried out D&D this last year with a group of friends. The problem was we all lived in different states, so we played it over skype & the GM had mad maps & artwork we could download that helped move the story along.

It'll be cool to play it in person with other people their lol, though I'll be trying out the beginners class.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for posting this.

I'm in the process of setting up a D&D group and me and 3 friends are going to play for the first time on a weekly basis around the end of Feb. Good thing I have a friend who is a seasoned DM though to help us.

I'll definitely be joining one of these sessions.

Rdr on
  • Options
    Admiral AckbarAdmiral Ackbar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Do you have to be a member of Living FR or something like that to play or can anyoen join? If we bring first level characters for the undermountains sessions do we have to use the demo character generator at wizards.com? It looks like all the other sessions provide characters.

Admiral Ackbar on
  • Options
    baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    and is it a turn up and play or book thing? because i'm very interested in the dark sun stuff but might have other commitments. we'll see.

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • Options
    Black Flame ZealotBlack Flame Zealot D&D Program Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just show up to play. You don't need to bring a character for anything we have at the show, although we'll help you make a character for D&D Encounters if you want.

Make sure you show up in our gaming area about 10 minutes before the scheduled times, so we can muster you and ensure that you're able to get a table. As we get a little closer to the show, we might open up pre-registration so you can book your spot in advance.

Black Flame Zealot on
    D&D Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast
  • Options
    mad_typistmad_typist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Holy crap, Dark Sun?! I'm so there!

mad_typist on
  • Options
    DeefuzzDeefuzz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sounds fun. I may give it a try.

Deefuzz on
    [ Web: Twitter | Blog ]
    [ XBL: NemesisFuzz | PSN: Deefuzz ]
  • Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This sounds great! I dabbled in D&D when I was in high school (~20 years ago?!). Haven't gamed in ages. I'd love to get reaquainted!

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    Admiral AckbarAdmiral Ackbar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mad_typist wrote: »
    Holy crap, Dark Sun?! I'm so there!

Now they just have to bring back Planescape and Factions and we'll have what I think are their three best settings in 4E. Dark Sun, Planescape, and FR.

Admiral Ackbar on
  • Options
    CoctopusCoctopus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, I've never played before, but I love listening the the PA D&D podcasts and reading about Mike's games. I think I might have to sign up for the first timers session. It would also be fun to meet some other newbies, granted any further games would probably be impossible as this isn't a local type thing. Ah well, my nerd boner is twitching anyways.

Coctopus on
  • Options
    DireKittyDireKitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is cool... I've played a few RPG's including D&D a few times, but I don't know the ins and outs of the game. I'll likely pop by the learn to play session...

DireKitty on
  • Options
    baelionbaelion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    i haven't played 4th edition in about a year. played a few games to wrap my head around the new system. seems ok.
    i'm more stoked to play dark sun. i've never played it before, but always thought the setting sounded pretty cool.
    i agree with bringing back planescape though. that would be brilliant.

baelion on
    Masters Degree Student: PLEASE TALK TO ME ABOUT NERDCORE
    Twitter
    Lord help me, I chose !Squirtle
    munkeefish.png
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know it's not technically DnD, but will WotC be demoing HeroScape?

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    WolfStar76WolfStar76 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Hey everyone!

To help get these D&D games off the ground, WotC and the RPGA also need the help of a small army of volunteers to be GMs and to help run events at the show.

If you're interested in being one of these volunteers (and earning yourself some books, and maybe even getting your badge and/or a bed to sleep in) - please take a moment to fill out this form URL="http://www.williburger.com/JudgeReg.pdf"]PDF[/URL. If you have any questions, please also feel free to contact myself, or to e-mail Willi Burger, the D&D Organized Play Head Judge for PAX East by emailing him as RPGAMarshal@aol.com.

We also have a thread going in the WotC/RPGA Forums over here for additional questions and contact points: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75854/21925485/PAX_East .

Thanks in advance to everyone who signs up!

WolfStar76 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    I'm never going to get used to other people from Cleveland going to PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    WolfStar76WolfStar76 Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    S'alright Moe.

Despite my best efforts, it's highly unlikely I'm going to make it to PAX East this year.

So, your may maintain your incredulity. ;)

WolfStar76 on
  • Options
    combatadvantagecombatadvantage Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Anyone know if there will be an open gaming room with some D&D running or is it all Wizards?

combatadvantage on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There will be plenty of unstructured play space that you can use for any game you like. If you need space for lots of people and can't find it, or need tables or chairs rearranged, find an Enforcer and we'll help you out, space and furniture and fire code allowing. The space is mostly first-come-first-served, and if everything seems full we will help you find a spot. We try really hard to avoid moving people, but we might ask a group to scoot a bit if their game looks like it isn't that hard to move, or if they aren't actually playing a game or waiting for players to arrive.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Is there a minimum time commitment required to get a room? I'm unclear from the form; I can easily do two of the listed shifts but would have to do some juggling to do more.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    Black Flame ZealotBlack Flame Zealot D&D Program Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    D&D DM Challenge Information

Horrors of the Underdark Rules

Adventure Design
    DMs must create an adventure suitable for five 6th-level characters (actual group size may vary from 4-6 players) that spotlights areas of the Underdark, using the material in the Underdark book (released just this past January) as a guide.

The adventure should play in about 5 hours. You should write approximately 4 combat encounters for your adventure; you must write at least 3 combat encounters, but no more than 5. Levels for the encounters should not be lower than 4 or higher than 9; you should endeavor to write a total of about 26 levels' worth of combat encounters (that would parse out into two 6th-level fights and two 7th-level fights). You can, of course, add skill challenges and roleplaying encounters to your adventure to give it a cool story.

Materials
    The characters provided will be pre-generated ones used during PH3 Game Day. They consist of a githzerai monk, a half-elf ardent, a shardmind psion, a wilden battlemind, an elf seeker, and a minotaur runepriest.

You are required to bring all materials with you that you'll need to run your adventure - maps/tiles, minis/tokens, etc. You don't need to bring any player characters; we'll provide those for you.

Judging
    Each player at your table will be given a form to complete after they finish playing. On the form, they'll be asked to rate you on the following categories:

Presentation
    Story
    Combat
    Fun Factor

Rewards
    Because we love our DMs so much, and know you put a lot of hard work into your adventure, just for showing others a good time you'll get a recent hardcover book release as a thanks for participating! In addition, the DM with the best overall rating in the categories above will be awarded a SWEET PRIZE, which will be unveiled at the show. It will be cool, I promise.

Registering
    Contact Willi Burger, our head organizer, at RPGAMarshal@aol.com to register to run the DM Challenge.

Just Want to Play?
    Players should simply show up 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the event (Saturday at 7 pm). As long as there's room, we'll match you up with a DM eager to show off their skills, and give you a character to play. If you want to guarantee a spot at a table, you can pre-book by emailing our organizer, Willi Burger at RPGAMarshal@aol.com.

Black Flame Zealot on
    D&D Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Another update: If you want to pre-book the Dark Sun Preview adventure or a spot to play in the DM's Challenge, send an email to our organizer, Willi Burger. He can be reached at RPGAMarshal@aol.com.

Black Flame Zealot on
    D&D Program Manager
    Wizards of the Coast
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Should play reservations be made only for the Dark Sun Preview or the DM's Challenge, or will they be accepted for D&D Encounters as well?

Themiscyra on
  • Options
    Willi BurgerWilli Burger Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know it's not technically DnD, but will WotC be demoing HeroScape?

Yes, we will be demoing D&D Heroscape Master Set: Battle for the Underdark.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Should play reservations be made only for the Dark Sun Preview or the DM's Challenge, or will they be accepted for D&D Encounters as well?

You can send me a reservation email for any of the games. This helps with planning on our end. You may also simply walk in. Reservations are not required.

RPGAMarshal@aol.com

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    One more question: do you know yet where the various D&D games will be going down? You're going late enough that it can't be the exhibition halls, but I don't see a location listed here or on the main PAX East site.

Themiscyra on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    WotC typically gets an area adjacent to the general tabletop area.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SingolloSingollo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yep that's one of those map things and well no map has been shown yet 8-) but like moe said wotc usually is near TT

Singollo on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    One more question: do you know yet where the various D&D games will be going down? You're going late enough that it can't be the exhibition halls, but I don't see a location listed here or on the main PAX East site.

We'll be in Rooms 202, 203.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sooooo, I have a silly question. I'm a lover of DnD, and other various table top adventures, and have been playing/DM it for years, buuuuut I have never played 4th Ed or even looked at a book. =O

Shocking. I know. I was wondering if I would still be allowed to be in a beginner game because I'm a n00b in 4th Ed or if I would be beaten out with sticks because I know too much? I would even be willing to DM, but I don't know 4th Ed or it's rules, so that would be kind of hard. =/

Besides, I hate lugging around all my books. Such a pain for my little body to handle.

Thanks in advance for answering. =D

Evelyn on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Evelyn wrote: »
    Sooooo, I have a silly question. I'm a lover of DnD, and other various table top adventures, and have been playing/DM it for years, buuuuut I have never played 4th Ed or even looked at a book. =O

Shocking. I know. I was wondering if I would still be allowed to be in a beginner game because I'm a n00b in 4th Ed or if I would be beaten out with sticks because I know too much? I would even be willing to DM, but I don't know 4th Ed or it's rules, so that would be kind of hard. =/

Besides, I hate lugging around all my books. Such a pain for my little body to handle.

Thanks in advance for answering. =D

Oh course you're welcome in the beginner game! You'll find 4E a fast learn. You may want to try some of the others as well after that.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    EvelynEvelyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Excellent!

Now, I'm excited. I'll bring my dice bag. P=<

Evelyn on
  • Options
    ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I recently just got back into D&D and I'm excited to check everything out. I'd like to know more about the Three-Dragon Ante tournament. I've never played that before but it sounds interesting. Should I try and get my hands on the game and play before PAX or would I be able to learn at the tournament?

Threeve on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Threeve wrote: »
    I recently just got back into D&D and I'm excited to check everything out. I'd like to know more about the Three-Dragon Ante tournament. I've never played that before but it sounds interesting. Should I try and get my hands on the game and play before PAX or would I be able to learn at the tournament?

Swing by the D&D area anytime before the scheduled game and someone will be happy to sit with you and show you the game. It is a great game; easy to learn.

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I haven't played D&D since the early 1990's, and not much even then. I'm looking forward to the noob games!

Is it first come/first serve - or is there someplace to sign-up for the times we'd like to participate?

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    kevbayer wrote: »
    I haven't played D&D since the early 1990's, and not much even then. I'm looking forward to the noob games!

Is it first come/first serve - or is there someplace to sign-up for the times we'd like to participate?

You can just walk in or you can reserve a spot by emailing me at RPGAMarshal@aol.com

Willi Burger on
  • Options
    ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm excited about this! I managed to wrangle a seasoned pro to teach me 4th ed. tonight. looks simple enough (which is why all my big brother types who play D&D are so uppity about it) I had a bad first experience with D&D, basically my being a girl meant I wasn't taken vary seriously. but I'm over that now and totally psyched to give this game another shot.

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
  • Options
    SageheartSageheart Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm very excited to check out some of the D&D events at PAX. Me and some friends wanted to start up playing but none of us had ever played before so we didn't have anyone who knew enough about the game to be the DM. I finally bit the bullet and said I'd take on the task which has put me in the position of trying to learn how to play the game and how to DM the game with zero D&D experience. It has been a challenge to say the least.

I'm looking forward to the opportunity to be on the other side of the DM screen as a player and to see how real DMs run a game. Hopefully the experience I get will help improve my home campaign.

Sageheart on
    Tickets + Flight + Hotel = SEE YOU AT PAX 2012!
    Pre-PAX Dinner | Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament | Post-PAX Party
    2012 Prime Buttoneer (Main | Bonus)
    Ravenclaw Death Eaters, Head Boy - Ravenclaw DE is on Twitter and Facebook!
  • Options
    LukelightningLukelightning Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm new to the whole expo/convention thingy... how do we sign up for the WotC games? Is it online or do we sign up when we get there, or just show up to the game and hope there is a seat? Or perhaps a teenage cyborg from the future shows up and says "follow me if you want to game!"

Lukelightning on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    You just show up. I am assuming you might want to be a little early but ya you just walk up at PAX and do it.

Here is the D&D Topic on page 2: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=111513

and the sixth post is:
    Just show up to play. You don't need to bring a character for anything we have at the show, although we'll help you make a character for D&D Encounters if you want.

Make sure you show up in our gaming area about 10 minutes before the scheduled times, so we can muster you and ensure that you're able to get a table. As we get a little closer to the show, we might open up pre-registration so you can book your spot in advance.

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm new to the whole expo/convention thingy... how do we sign up for the WotC games? Is it online or do we sign up when we get there, or just show up to the game and hope there is a seat? Or perhaps a teenage cyborg from the future shows up and says "follow me if you want to game!"

Feel free to just show up, or you can email me at RPGAMarshal@aol.com to reserve a seat.

Willi Burger on
This discussion has been closed.