As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You can [MUSIC] thread any time you like But you can never leave

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
AC MUSICIANS THREAD*

Here is a place for musicians to discuss creating music, and to learn how to improve. The focus will be on music creation and theory, as well as critique. If this thread manages to survive, it'll probably operate similarly to the doodle/photo threads - the first post on the 100th page makes the next thread.

Unfortunately, since I'm a guitarist, this thread will probably be biased towards playing guitars for the moment (I don't know a great deal about other instruments) so any contributions would really be appreciated.

Below I'll keep a track of useful websites for musicians that I come across, or that have been suggested.

General Resources:

Guitarist Resources:
    Knob's 'Guitar Theory for Beginners' Thread - 'An idiot's guide to getting started with theory as it relates to guitars.'
    [*]Power Tab - A site providing free tablature from popular musicians, with an easy interface. Unfortunately, this site seems to be exclusively tablature, with no option to view as regular sheet-music/scores.
    [*]Justin Guitar - Free online lessons for the beginner, as well as music theory and forums.
    [*]Power Tab - A free tablature editor, and an alternative for those who do not want to buy guitar pro.
    [*]Ultimate Guitar - A collection of tablature, driven by its community.

If you're beginning guitar or are thinking of doing so, you might like to check out this thread in Accumulated Forum Knowledge. There are also dedicated musician threads to be found in both D&D and SE++.

~~~~~~~

At the moment I'm working on tabbing 'Under the Bridge' by the Chili Peppers to train my ear a bit. I think I have the intro down:
    E||-----------------------|------------------------|-----------------------|
    B||--3-----------------3--|--L---------------------|--2-----------------2--|
    G||------------2----------|-----2------------------|------------2----------|
    D||--0----4---------4-----|------------------------|-------4---------4-----|
    A||-----------------------|------------4--2--0-----|-----------------------|
    E||-----------------------|---------------------4--|--2--------------------|

------------------------|-----------------------------|-----------------------|
    --L---------------------|--3--------------------3h-5h-|--3--------------------|
    -----2------------------|--------------2--------------|-----2-----------------|
    ------------4--2--0-----|--0-----4-----------4--------|------------4s----6----|
    ---------------------2--|-----5-----5-----5-----------|------------5-----7----|
    ------------------------|-----------------------------|-----------------------|

-----------------------|-------------------------||
    --------------------2--|--L----------------------||
    ------------2----------|-----2------------------*||
    -------4---------4-----|------------4--2--0-----*||
    -----------------------|---------------------2---||
    --2--------------------|-------------------------||

Here's a midi of what it sounds like so far: http://www.mediafire.com/?2zgmm3kidn0

*Mod approved.

Flay on

• Options
      MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Man I love Justin Guitar, that guy got me back into playing music again.

Just a quick one flay if you play that first D on the 5th fret of the A string, when you head back to it it's much easier to do the d flat hammer on d (or 4 hammer 5) rather than D flat and then open D. I'm not actually sure if you tabbed that as you play it a bit differently to me in a few areas.
      E||
      |
      |
      |
      B||--3
      3--|--L
      2--|
      G||
      |
      |
      |
      D||
      |
      |
      |
      A||--5
      |
      4--2--0
      |
      |
      E||
      |
      4--|--2
      |

Anyway, this is really fucking embarassing as this is the first time I've ever heard myself singing and I'm all D: listening to this but in the interests of participating I thought I'd better post it. There's a fairly big fuckup in the middle, and the whole mid section sound pretty awful, I really do apologise for my voice, naturally it's a genetic disaster area. I honestly don't think i'll ever be able to sing well.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hlkzvzcmzkz/timeschangin.mp3

Mustang on
    • Options
      NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      I suggest adding this site to the OP:

http://www.musictheory.net/

Its really awesome and covers just about all aspects of theory from what I can tell, though it piano focused- It shows the piano keys and "plays" them during the lessons.

Nappuccino on
      Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
      Rorus Raz wrote: »
      There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
      cakemikz wrote: »
      And then I rub actual cake on myself.
      Loomdun wrote: »
      thats why you have chest helmets
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Mustang wrote: »
      Anyway, this is really fucking embarassing as this is the first time I've ever heard myself singing and I'm all D: listening to this but in the interests of participating I thought I'd better post it. There's a fairly big fuckup in the middle, and the whole mid section sound pretty awful, I really do apologise for my voice, naturally it's a genetic disaster area. I honestly don't think i'll ever be able to sing well.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hlkzvzcmzkz/timeschangin.mp3

I certainly wouldn't say that's unlistenable. :) Plus, as you said, this is the first time you've heard yourself singing - you can't expect to be perfect straight off. I've tried singing a little, and from what I can hear I certainly need some practice.

Flay on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      I've always found it very frightening listening to myself talk and now sing. It's something that unsettles me quite badly. My voice sounds far more baritone to myself than it does to others, so it's like listening to a stranger. I guess it's something I need to force myself to come to terms with.

EDIT: Actually I won't Flay, it's not like it's going to help with your ear training and the tab is fuggin everywhere.

Mustang on
    • Options
      Rad_BearRad_Bear Registered User new member
      edited February 2010
      Nice! A music theory thread to geek out on!!

Just in case any of you play WoW and are interested in some folk/rock type stuff, you want to search for rad_bear on google or you tube. I have been working on some material and I'd be interested to hear what other musicians think of it. Please check it out!
      Thanks

Heres a song to check if you would like:
      http://supernumberone.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=570561

Rad_Bear on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      http://www.mediafire.com/?gzyiewzezzm

A progress recording for today. This is a song I have to learn for grading, which obviously I'm still not very good at.

Flay on
    • Options
      Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      This is pretty good

Could I get some critiques on stuff? Me and my friends just record for a bit of a laugh but I'd like to know what other people think

Mr Bubbles on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Rad_Bear, the harmonies in the chorus are really nice, like really nice. I find the verses a little jarring, though I've never been a fan of a melodies that don't turn around, so it's really more of a personal thing than an actualy critique.
      But all in all I think it's a pretty slick recording.

Flay, when you get a little more confident with it, try playing with a metronome, it'll help you timing to no end.

Mr Bubbles, your band is good, I'm jealous. That is all.

Mustang on
    • Options
      Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Cool, a music thread.

Mustang: Your singing isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. I'm not really sure how to critique your cover. It's pretty bare bones, but definitely listenable. Post some more stuff.

Rad Bear: I like your harmonies, and your guitar playing is good. I usually don't like nerdy music but I like how sincere your song seems instead of being really goofy. I only found the same song on youtube when I googled your name, can you link to more of your music?

Mr Bubbles: I'm not sure what to critique. What do you do in your band? Do you want recording critiques? Songwriting? Playing?

As for me, I have a couple of songs on my bandcamp site.
      Edit: Oh yeah I have a music video for one of those songs:

Mullitt The Wise on
      balloonssig.jpg
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Cool, a music thread.

Mr Bubbles: I'm not sure what to critique. What do you do in your band? Do you want recording critiques? Songwriting? Playing?

As for me, I have a couple of songs on my bandcamp site.
      Edit: Oh yeah I have a music video for one of those songs:

I'm the bassist, and I just need to be told how to make it not terrible, songwriting, composition, anything to try and make it sound better

Mr Bubbles on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Well, your bass playing isn't bad. You seem to keep time well, but all you do is play the root notes of what the guitar is playing. Obviously a lot of bass players do this, and it's not bad, it just isn't terribly interesting.
      Learning music theory will greatly help your bass playing. I mean, it will help anyone composing, but even learning a little theory will help you understand how to write more complex bass lines that take advantage of more notes than the root of the chord. Maybe look at some bass players you like and see what they do differently.
      I'm not a bass player, but I love Victor Damiani's bass lines on Cake's album Fashion Nugget. Listen to how kick ass this is:

Mullitt The Wise on
      balloonssig.jpg
    • Options
      MrBrickMrBrick Underneath pub furniture.Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Mr Bubbles wrote: »
      This is pretty good

Could I get some critiques on stuff? Me and my friends just record for a bit of a laugh but I'd like to know what other people think

That's so weird.
      I was there(Joiners). Hi, and it was a good gig.

MrBrick on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Wait, what, who...

Thats... weird, yeah. Come to the next one MrBrick, 28th March at The Joiners again :)

EDIT: I took into account what Mullitt said, I tried to come up with a slightly more creative bassline today, my first real try at it is on this terrible recording called 'Better' that we recorded live. Probably best to ignore all the information on the site though, we haven't finished it yet

http://www.myspace.com/lostmoralsmusic

Mr Bubbles on
    • Options
      vader111vader111 Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      I'm a classical singer and I'm in my last year of a BMus, composition major. I haven't got a lot of acoustic music recorded, but I do write a lot of electronic pieces (mostly for fun) - are they welcome in this thread? :P

vader111 on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      I don't see why they wouldn't be

Nappuccino on
      Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
      edited February 2010
      Sure, go ahead.

Flay on
    • Options
      vader111vader111 Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Flay wrote: »
      Sure, go ahead.

Sweet as. It'll probably take me an age to get them uploaded with my crappy capped upload, but I'll get there in the end. :P

vader111 on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      VarianVarian Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
    • Options
      DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Would this be the appropriate place to ask if someone can help me identify a sound created by a guitar in a song? As in, what exactly is the performer doing?
      It would be this song. Here

The technique in question is performed at 2:02.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Sounds like a series of hammer ons to me. So in this instance you'd hit what sounds like an open string, whack your finger down onto the fret and hold it to bring up the second note (a hammer-on) and then quickly follow it up with a note on a higher string, then repeat further up the fretboard.

Mustang on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Ah, is that all it is? I play a little bit, and I've never heard anything like that.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      edit:
      that isn't what (s)he's doing- my bad

its similar but hes hitting some (other) open strings while the changing notes are him just sliding up and down the frets.

Nappuccino on

• Options
      EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Ah, a thread more about creation than gear! I play double bass and feel that I've finally gotten good enough that I can wade into recording myself.

All my previous experience was with electronic music: made a few tracks, remixed some things for friends, geeked out with gear etc. But when I was putting stuff together and realized that I didn't really know how to come up with a roadmap for a melody, or how to put bass & melody together, I knew that I needed to learn more theory and, ideally, an instrument. So I picked my favorite, and etc. etc.

I've got a couple classical etudes I'm working through but have also been spending time developing walking bass lines, solos, and some melodies for standards. And yeah, I'll echo above -- learning theory, especially your scales, makes creating interesting bass lines so much easier.

EggyToast on
      || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      So I've just got this little thing I'm working on- I haven't put enough effort to make it worthy of my thread yet

http://www.mediafire.com/?gy3rjtmhymn

I do like it so far, its just not very fleshed out and the transitions are not so good.

Nappuccino on

• Options
      edited February 2010
      Is it possible that he's tapping the string and then pulling off? Everyone I've asked has a conflicting opinion on this.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Mustang - I like your recording, it is definitely something I could find myself listening to. Your voice ain't bad though I could easily see how you might improve. More power/control says the non educated on the subject Varian.

Flay - I agree, it'd be cool to listen to you play with someone else too.

Napp - I like the mood, sounds like it could be a nice intro to something more, and I hear it yearning for vocals. XD

So what all do you guys use for midi composition? I have Anvil Studio and it's all I know how to use, but if there's something easier/ better out there I'd love to have someone show me. I'll post some of my more serious music when I get home today, which are basically midis I've given nicer voices to through Cakewalk Music Creator 5. I have little basis in theory though and generally just hear something in my head and plug it into Anvil Studio note by note, a very tedious, time consuming process.

*edit* Here's some battle music I've been working on recently for a non existent game I've wanted to make as an example of my ability separate from the last.fm link earlier provided. In that one I'm the pianica player, heh.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mjnvuzi1m04/battle%20thema3.mp3

Varian on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      I'm working on tabbing blackbird by ear. There's one part that's giving me trouble: the bit just after the first for chords. It's much to quiet and fast for me to really figure out what's being played, and I don't think this...
      ||---------------------------------------|
      ||--0-------1-------3-------12-----------|
      ||-----(0)-----(0)-----(0)------(0)------|
      ||---------------------------------------|
      ||----------0-------2-------10------(10)-|
      ||--3------------------------------------|

----------------------------------------------
      -----------(12)--(12)-------------------------
      --(0)------------------(0)------(0)------(0)--
      ------(10)-----------------(10)-----(10)------

... sounds correct. I'll mess around with it, but does anyone know exactly what's wrong here?

Flay on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Is it possible that he's tapping the string and then pulling off? Everyone I've asked has a conflicting opinion on this.

Unless my hears are mis hearing, it sounds a lot like a technique from this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUYQMslOobw

(the 1:30 mark)

now, its not as fast nor as jumpy, but it sounds to me to be a similar technique.

Varian: Thanks! I agree, it needs vocals- i need to work on some lyrics; which are always my sore spot so they rarely ever stay with a tune I write.

Nappuccino on

• Options
      edited February 2010
      No wonder I was having trouble with Blackbird's time signature, apparently it changes quite a bit through the song.

I think I have the first few bars correct:
      ||--------------------|------------------------------------------|
      ||--0-----1-----3-----|--12--------------12--12--------------12--|
      ||-----0-----0-----0--|------0-------------------0---------------|
      ||--------------------|------------9-------------------9---------|
      ||--------0-----2-----|--10-----10----10-----10-----10----10-10--|
      ||--3-----------------|------------------------------------------|

Flay on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Varian wrote: »
      So what all do you guys use for midi composition? I have Anvil Studio and it's all I know how to use, but if there's something easier/ better out there I'd love to have someone show me. I'll post some of my more serious music when I get home today, which are basically midis I've given nicer voices to through Cakewalk Music Creator 5. I have little basis in theory though and generally just hear something in my head and plug it into Anvil Studio note by note, a very tedious, time consuming process.

You mention Cakewalk which implies you're on Windows. I personally use Logic Express on a Mac and really like it, but there are a few more options on Windows. But what's most important for midi creation is how you typically work with midi. As in, what matches up with your creation style.

If you know how to play a keyboard and can essentially record your midi live, you're golden as most midi apps are created around that type of input. If you don't, and you prefer to key stuff in, you'll probably have a lot more fun making midi files with a step sequencer, at least to start with. But then that also ties back into what your end goal for the midi is. If you're just using midi for drum programming, step sequencing is obviously the way to go. If you're looking to make prog rock keyboard solos, you'll be frustrated with step sequencers.

I personally don't like piano rolls for punching in midi, as it's really slow and rarely geared towards looping or just using a qwerty + mouse. When I was using a Windows laptop for some windows-only VSTs, I had a lot of fun using energyXT, which is a combination step sequencer that now has a lot more features. It's semi-modular in how it lets you put stuff together which is what I liked about it.

EggyToast on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      EDIT: I took into account what Mullitt said, I tried to come up with a slightly more creative bassline today, my first real try at it is on this terrible recording called 'Better' that we recorded live. Probably best to ignore all the information on the site though, we haven't finished it yet

From what I can hear, it's definitely a step in the right direction. The bass really gets lost in the mix sometimes, though, so about half the song I had no idea what was going on.

Nappuccino: I really enjoyed your guitar composition. I agree that it's ready for vocals, but it's very nice on it's own.

Mullitt The Wise on
      balloonssig.jpg
    • Options
      KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Hey so.

Noticed this thread.

Since I've pretty much made myself so in the SE music thread, allow me to also bring it up here.

I'll be watching this thread, and if anyone has any theory/history questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them relatively succinctly. Also, my blog in my sig has some theory and history stuff, and I'm still trucking along with updates for it.

Khavall on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Khavall wrote: »
      Hey so.

Noticed this thread.

Since I've pretty much made myself so in the SE music thread, allow me to also bring it up here.

I'll be watching this thread, and if anyone has any theory/history questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them relatively succinctly. Also, my blog in my sig has some theory and history stuff, and I'm still trucking along with updates for it.

Cool, I'll link it in the OP.

EDIT:
      Here's some battle music I've been working on recently for a non existent game I've wanted to make as an example of my ability separate from the last.fm link earlier provided. In that one I'm the pianica player, heh.

This is pretty good, and it certainly works as a battle theme. I do feel the sharp note at the end feels a bit out of place though.

Man, it's difficult for me to critique anything since I'm only a beginning musician...

Flay on
    • Options
      redkatanaredkatana Registered User regular
      edited February 2010

*edit* Here's some battle music I've been working on recently for a non existent game I've wanted to make as an example of my ability separate from the last.fm link earlier provided. In that one I'm the pianica player, heh.

I'm digging the old school vibe from the videogame music, seeing as I also dabble in that stuff and was working on a game that will never be finished, an example:

http://www.last.fm/music/fourbithero/Untitled+Video+Game+Music/Town

Since I am a guitarist and a lazy one at that, I use guitar pro for my midi composition needs then transfer it over to fruity loops. Guitar pro is pretty user friendly and lightweight.

redkatana on
    • Options
      MrBrickMrBrick Underneath pub furniture.Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      Wait, what, who...

Thats... weird, yeah. Come to the next one MrBrick, 28th March at The Joiners again :)

I'm going to see Jethro Tull in Southampton on that day, sorry mang. Every play The Railway?

MrBrick on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      MrBrick wrote: »
      Wait, what, who...

I'm going to see Jethro Tull in Southampton on that day, sorry mang. Every play The Railway?

We're gonna try and get one there soon, we've also been kind of offered something at The Brook too which is cool

and cheers Mullitt, we're gonna do a proper recording of that song next week, that was the first time we'd played that song after we wrote it and was recorded in a garage on one mike. So quality is terribad

Mr Bubbles on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      Sorry for not responding earlier, but I'm deployed right now and tend to get sidetracked by things. I've never heard of step sequencers before and will take a look in the net couple days. My friend told me about something called the Axis64, which is a really interesting midi controller I've never seen before. I do have a problem with Cakewalk Music Creator 5, in that it frequent drops out, overloading my CPU when I try to have more than three tracks plus drums going. The other issue is that I often have different tracks interfering with each other in terms of which notes are being played, which doesn't make any sense to me. I really need to get some time off to learn more about these programs, as well as theory and keyboard playing. I plug in all my notes by hand because I don't know how to play.

I brought a soft keyboard with me, rolls up into a small carrying bag, and I have a book on music theory here. Idea was I could learn while I was here, but in reality, my schedule is frustrating. RedKatana, I like your music. It reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics in places which had an amazing score. We should team up or something to finish a game sometime. XD

Varian on
    • Options
      edited February 2010
      If you're plugging everything in by hand, you should seriously look into step sequencers. You'll probably love them. I'm not on Windows but a google search for "step sequencer" or "step sequencer midi" would probably give you a good starting point. How they work is you essentially just tell it when to activate a note; they always run at a tempo and are generally loop-based. You can, of course, chain together different loops, but it's very easy and fast to plug notes/beats into and set up tracks w/o having to play by hand.

EggyToast on
    • Options
      KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
      edited February 2010
      I wrote this a long time ago and most of the information is spread out amongst asinine chatter, but it's basically an idiot's guide to getting started with theory as it relates to guitars

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=15782

Knob on
    • Options
      redkatanaredkatana Registered User regular
      edited February 2010
      I brought a soft keyboard with me, rolls up into a small carrying bag, and I have a book on music theory here. Idea was I could learn while I was here, but in reality, my schedule is frustrating. RedKatana, I like your music. It reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics in places which had an amazing score. We should team up or something to finish a game sometime. XD

I would be totally down for that, hit me up whenever. Give fruity loops a try if you haven't, making tracks in that is pretty easy.

redkatana on