As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Frozen Synapse | iPad and Android Versions are Out!

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Games and Technology
bannertih.jpg

Greetings. How are your synapses? Thawed? We'll have to do something about that...

X23x9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOTi0T0CEV4

Frozen Synapse is a simultaneous turn-based squad-based tactical digital electronic Internet strategy video PC computer game. It's Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear's planning mode, plus X-COM's anonymous men, plus TRON's aesthetic, plus the new TRON's soundtrack, plus Neal Stephenson's brain. And Laser Squad Nemesis.

It has both single player and multiplayer. Each turn, you give orders to your men, and then you submit your orders. Your opponent does the same, and you watch them play out for a few seconds. Then, the next turn.

There are many different game modes: deathmatch, hostage rescue, territory secure, and so on. The game can be played almost real-time, with both players submitting their turns as they come up, or you can play at a more leisurely pace and submit your turn when you get around to it. You'll get an email when a game you're playing has a new turn.

And the soundtrack is the best.

screenshot4n.jpg

HKzGh.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJrUY27O0Y

The single player is pretty good. It's just your basic "here is your mission" sort of structure, but it has a neat cyberpunk story wrapped in there, and it's a good way to get used to controlling your vatforms, which are the vat-grown soldiers that you are in charge of. It has some Steam achievements! The campaign has characters with endearing names like Soulsby, Smythe, and Nix. It basically reads like a Neal Stephenson novel, if Neal Stephenson could grasp the concept of brevity.

The Red expansion adds two player coop to the single player, plus a bunch of extra missions.

pSq5w.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIQifwjPhzQ

Multiplayer is where the action is at. There are a ton of game modes, and the maps are randomly generated, as are the men you start with. "How is that balanced?" you might ask. Well, sometimes it's not, but usually it is, BECAUSE:
  • Often the game mode allows you to deploy your men how you wish to mitigate the effects of randomness
  • Many of the game modes start with players "bidding" for the area they think they can defend, or secure. That is, you both take a guess at how well you would do as attacker, and the more ambitious guesser "wins" and attacks. This means that you'll only ever have to do as well as you think you can do on the map.
  • You can opt to battle on randomly generated maps that others have already played (but that you and your opponent have not) so that you can compare your performance to others in your situation
  • Random is fun! It eliminates the tedium

screenshot1mpy.jpg

ASWO7.jpg

QzzE9.jpg
whqHl.jpg
Your basic vatform, the man with the machinegun is good at all ranges, but he excels at medium ranges. Close up, shotguns will shred him, and from far off, snipers will destroy him. He is versatile and capable, and his favorite food is synthesized protein.

zcgok.jpg
v9J5R.jpg
The man with the shotgun is ideal for close quarters situations, where nobody can best him. If you need to burst into a room, bring a shotgun and hope that the defenders did not also bring a shotgun. Not much use in the open unless he's up against explosives, where he can just run past them. His favorite food is synthesized protein.

DRalV.jpg
SSfaK.jpg
The grenade is the only real indirect fire weapon you have, and it's extremely useful because you can kill people without exposing yourself. Timing grenades right and trying to predict where your opponent will fire grenades adds a hugely complex layer of strategy into the game. His favorite food is synthesized protein.

lEKBi.jpg
ElQ2I.jpg
The rocket launcher is a beast. It destroys cover and anyone who gets caught within its blast radius. Your only hope is to get close to these guys, forcing them to run or kill themselves, or to stay in the open, where their rocket can't impact on anything. Destroying terrain dynamically reshapes the battlefield and makes things so exciting that you'll want to burst. His favorite food is synthesized protein.

euFIV.jpg
vM5do.jpg
The riot shield is an invaluable tool for preventing death by bullet. Just deploy this sucker and watch the magic happen! It can also be used to ricochet grenades, so if you plan it right you can get a grenade in somewhere your opponent wasn't expecting. The riot shield unit is a new addition in the Red expansion pack. Her favorite food is synthesized protein.

TdPLU.jpg
KrEVU.jpg
The little "C" next to the hacker's name stands for civilian, and that's because this guy just chills out at his hacker desk, hacking stuff. You don't give him any orders. What is this useless sack of shit for, you ask? Well, in the Upload game mode, you have to protect him will simultaneously trying to kill the enemy hacker. His favorite food is synthesized protein.

bvi0l.jpg
uyIPr.jpg
There are always and only ever two hostages in the Hostage game mode. The attackers must rescue the hostages at any cost, while the defenders mostly just want to shoot them. You can't shoot the hostages until they leave their starting area, though. Their favorite food is synthesized protein.

pG5f3.jpg
MQUFk.jpg
The sniper is good at shooting people at long ranges. That's pretty much it. He's a quiet guy who doesn't make much of a bang and his favorite food is synthesized protein.

screenshot2pccw.jpg

EOS8P.jpg
PA Frozen Synapse Steam Group (Vatforms With Attitude)
Introduction to the game for new players
Rock Paper Shotgun review
Rock Paper Shotgun article about "beating Mike Gapper"
Frozen Synapse wiki, including Steam link
Official forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJqR6lh0t10

gEGFv.jpg
PM me (TychoCelchuuu) to get on the list. Also, we have two (?) Steam Groups (PAFS and PA FS), so of course I made a third, which you should join. That way we can consolidate.

Banzai5150
Bullio
Chronocide
Cliffordius
corpekata
eelektrik
elliotw2
diamondgfx
Jintor
Lunker
Morkath
ROldford
TychoCelchuuu
Viking_Rage
WhiteShark

screenshot3a.jpg

OV53r.jpg
ZpvdP.jpg

The RED Expansion adds RED mode which is RED. It also adds hotseat play, more single player missions, coop for all the single player stuff, optional time limits on turns in multiplayer so that my ADHD turns into a tactical advantage, the riot shield, new music, three "mutators" that can change the gameplay to add variety, and a new gameplay mode where you protect your hacker while attempting to kill the enemy hacker. It's $10. Check out the trailer.

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, this sounds awesome. And you get two copies with a purchase.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sweet, About time it came out, I played the beta of this at some show quite a bit ago. Its pretty damn addictive and needs some real strategy to get anywhere with it.

Gentlemanne on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Damn. Every time I hear about this thing it's just a little bit more exciting. It sounds like beta keys are coming in two packs. If the twenty six bucks seems a bit much, maybe some of us can buddy up like the Steam four pack deals, and split the cost.

I wish I could do that right now, but I think my wife may actually kill me if I bought a new game at this moment.

Drake on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love planning then executing turns simultaneously, like Combat Mission. If I understand correctly, this does the same thing. It shall be bought.

Igel on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes. It's a WEGO system and I love them too. My favorite military sim uses it. It makes for some really fast gameplay for anything around a company or smaller without sacrificing granularity. This game is going to play wicked fast most likely. PBEM support sounds great too. Does anyone know if there is direct connect mode for multiplayer? I bet this would be fun under a timer too, like blitz chess.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, this looks really cool. Urge to buy....rising.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll probably be picking this up. I'll post some impressions after.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, how frustrating. I even searched for a Frozen Synapse thread and didn't find it before I made mine (though at least mine's dropped off and can die an internet death now).

I've pre-ordered and tinkered with it at work, and it's fun so far. Feels like quite the learning curve.

To answer an earlier question, it's basically a PBEM style buried in their central server interface. So it's all asynchronous. No direct connection, it's all done through accounts on their server. Or at least, so what I've been told.

Entriech on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hmm looks like this will run on my netbook ...

Colour me intrigued

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This gives a good idea of how the game plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK20mtyyoFo&feature=related

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man the music in that vid is so good. And the game looks slick as hell.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    any word on when it's going to drop, or when the beta starts?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    any word on when it's going to drop, or when the beta starts?

Beta is already going, if you pre-order the game you get access to it, plus a free copy for someone else. I actually just ordered it because I wanted to see if it will run on my work computer, but sadly I don't want to risk a +50mb download today lest my boss be watching the network, so no install until later tonight.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh damn, that's awesome. I'm all over this

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just spent a good couple hours playing turns around eating dinner and doing a little light computer work. I'm sucking up a frenzy, but I'm getting better. I vastly prefer the dark modes to the light modes. Being able to see your opponent the entire time seems less fun for some reason. I suppose it's a little more chess-like in that case, but still.

The fact that explosives destroy world geometry makes me happy every time I see a rocket or grenade soldier in my team. Nothing like getting your guys all set, then blowing a hole in the wall, exposing enemy troops to your lines of fire.

It seems pretty key to keep at least two or three games or more on the move or else you can get bored waiting for people to send back turns (or if they've gone off to do something else, so they aren't playing right then). Provided you have no issues with picking up and dropping games on the fly, it works very well. You can play as little or as much at a time as you like.

If anyone wants to start up a game with me, my account name on there is the same as on here.

Entriech on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Color me intrigued.

This is what a game looks like in real-time. 16 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIy_NyuKMAk

Echo on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a pretty fun beta. But the game spams messages to everyone when someone starts up a game, which is kinda annoying.

EDIT: Auto-export to youtube is a great feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoOJOXMew4Y

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    one gripe I have right now is I have my status set to does not want to play, but every 5 fucking seconds the game asks me if I want to play with someone else.

edit:

hivemind.

I bought it because I was just about to begin working on my own simultaneous turn based strategy game. I was about to begin working on my own strategy game because I figured I'd have to do it myself if I wanted it done at all. . . now I don't have to!

edit 2 electric bugaloo:
    is one of you guys blindside? dude won't stop challenging me to a game and I have like a dozen emails from the automated superspam device they've developed, and I only activated my game like 45 minutes ago.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The random level generator likes to put your guys directly in front of enemies, it seems.

EDIT: Example. This match lasted 1 round, 6 seconds of real-time executions :\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQeIidOWh-s

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm on and playing for the evening, if anyone wants to have a few rounds.

I'm quite fond of the 'secured' gametype. As mentioned in the RPS write-up, bidding for territory alleviates any oddities of the randomly generated maps/unit combos, and it ensures that units start in appropriate locations for a drawn out fight.

Entriech on
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kinda buggy, silly, and sometimes laggy. Having a hell of a time canceling firing orders for rocket mans if I make a mistake (Yes I played the tut) but it's fun.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ygNZCqr3A

Me playing a secure dark game. The map was a real bitch layout, so I deliberately underbid in an effort to be the attacker. Started off great, creeping my guys up at the bottom ducked down behind cover, then having them both stand up simultaneously which gave them enough advantage to take out the first guy. Then I completely fucked up, and he worked a shotgunner through two of my men in one turn. Ran in with my last machine gunner for a hail mary attempt at sitting in the zone for 3s, and managed to take out his shotgunner, and he never got his other guy around the corner to stop me in time.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That Secure mode sounds cool. I'm at work now, so I can't try it out myself... Does the attacker choose where he spawns at?

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    For the guys who have this, are you able to select your squad layout, or is it random?

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    For the guys who have this, are you able to select your squad layout, or is it random?

Random.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmmmmmm that's unfortunate...

I've had the purchase webpage open all day with my info sitting there, just waiting for me to commit.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This game is pretty awesome, duders.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mouschi wrote: »

Random.

I hope they implement some kind of purchasing system at some point in the future. It wouldn't be that difficult.

Then again, trying to work with the hand you've been dealt is kinda the game's focus.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's really nice hearing "hostile neutralized" three times within less than a second. I'm definitely digging Secure Dark as my favorite gametype.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's cool is that it looks like there's a record of every game played, and you just click your player tab at any time to see your previous games, then load one up. I'm guesing it's because the file sizes must be tiny so they can afford to store them.

Or maybe they're just being stored because this is a beta and it's for data mining purposes and showing bugs.

subedii on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    What's cool is that it looks like there's a record of every game played, and you just click your player tab at any time to see your previous games, then load one up. I'm guesing it's because the file sizes must be tiny so they can afford to store them.

Or maybe they're just being stored because this is a beta and it's for data mining purposes and showing bugs.

Yeah, can't be more than a couple of kilobytes of waypoint data and orders per game, assuming there's no random stuff with the AI and targeting - but it doesn't seem that way from the videos.

Think I'll be picking this up.

Echo on
  • Options
    mongrolmongrol Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone playing this played Laser Squad Nemesis before? How does it compare? This basically looks like a LSN clone with "indie style" graphics and less depth.

mongrol on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's pretty much the same, but without the lame subscription fee. And no fancy alien tech, but oh well.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mongrol wrote: »
    Anyone playing this played Laser Squad Nemesis before? How does it compare? This basically looks like a LSN clone with "indie style" graphics and less depth.

Well it's by some of the LSN guys so...

Pretty similar in some sense.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mongrol wrote: »

Yeah, I was wondering how it compared. I remember looking into LSN and it had seemed really cool.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Would love the ability to shotgun holes in walls. I'm liking the game so far, nice that runs on just about anything, the way multiplayer turns are handled is pretty cool as well.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm really enjoying this so far. Games are nice and quick, yet still intense. The best part is tho all the players. No shortage of games, even at strange times. It's great.

Kris_xK on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm really enjoying this so far. Games are nice and quick, yet still intense. The best part is tho all the players. No shortage of games, even at strange times. It's great.

Works well for the game. Because you can play lots of games at once, you can be taking turns in one whilst waiting for a response in others. So even with though the beta playerbase is relatively small (like maybe a few dozen online), the games are fast and can happen simultaneously, so everyone gets to keep playing.

In a way it's obvious, but it's still a pretty intelligent implementation they've done, you usually don't need to search long before you start a game.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The game is still definitely beta-y though. I had an extermination match yesterday where a sniper was trapped in a box, and nobody had rocket launchers.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mouschi wrote: »
    The game is still definitely beta-y though. I had an extermination match yesterday where a sniper was trapped in a box, and nobody had rocket launchers.

Lost a sniper to an extremely bullshit shot last night, but otherwise it's been pretty good. I sure do suck at the game though, just lost an extermination match by 169 points.

Dark_Side on