As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[AGoT] A Game of Thrones boardgame - Pbp #1

MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
Lead in from FFG:
King Robert Baratheon is dead, and the seven kingdoms brace for war. House Lannister, whose daughter Cersei was Robert's queen, claims the throne for her young son Joffery. From the Dragonstone Isle, Stannis Baratheon knows that Robert was not the true father of Joffrey, and rightfully demands the throne for himself. On the Iron Isles, House Greyjoy is about to embark on a second rebellion, but this time with a much grander goal. In the north, House Stark gathers its strength to defend what is right, and in the south the wealthy House Tyrell harbors an old ambition to sit on the Iron Throne.

As armies gather and ravens fly, a clash of kings is inevitable.

Based on the best-selling novel series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, the A Game of Thrones board game lets players take control of one of the great Houses of Westeros and embark on an epic struggle to claim the Iron Throne. Immerse yourself in a game of clever planning, careful allocation of power, diplomacy, and the exciting flavor of A Song of Ice and Fire.

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." - Cersei Lannister

Objective: Be the one with the most cities/strongholds at the end of the 10th turn. Optionally, you win immediately if you ever control 6 cities/strongholds at any point. (In a 6-player game.)

Game stuff, which is in the rules. I've simply pointed out some major things and have not regurgitated the rulebook here. Please read the rules when you can. :)
Units
Add their strength in battle. You only receive new units at cities and strongholds under your control when a Muster event is revealed. Mustering is explained starting on pg. 5 and it's a good read.
10 Footmen - Strength 1
4 Knights - Str 2
6 Ships - Str 1

Orders
Each House has 3 each of 5 different orders: March (an axe); Support (a gauntlet); Defense (helmet); Raid (torch); Consolidate Power (crown). During the 'Planning Phase' of each turn you can place orders facedown in each area in which you have a *unit*. One of each order has a star icon on it, and is a "special order."
March - How you move. In an area with a march order, you may move all, some, or none of your units there. The units may move together; separate and move into several adjacent areas; and/or remain in the area. When you move into an area occupied by another House, a battle takes place. You may only start one battle per March order. Adjacent sea areas that contain your ships act as a chain allowing you to move great distances by sea in one move. The value on the march (0, -1, +1*) is added to any battle that takes place.

Support - You may add the strength of units in the area to *any and all* battles in adjacent areas. Sea can support adjacent land battles, but not vice versa. (Special support order adds +1*).

Defense - Does this need to be explained? (+1, +1, +2*)

Raid - Allows you to remove one of the following orders from an adjacent area: Raid, Support, Consolidate Power. If you remove the latter, it is called "pillaging" and you get a free power token for doing it. Sea can raid adjacent land areas, not vice versa. (Special Raid allows you to remove tokens from 2 adjacent areas.*)

Consolidate Power - Gives you a power token for the order and an additional one for every crown symbol on the board in the same area. (Special just gives you an opporutnity to consolidate 3 times in one turn.*)
Power
Each House has 20 power tokens total; and begins the game with 5 available. Power is used for 3 purposes: bidding on the 3 areas of influence (pg. 6); maintaining control of an area when you move all your units out (pg. 11); fighting off Wildling attacks (pg. 8).

House cards
Each player has a hand of 7 different cards representing important, influential members of their House. When involved in a battle, one of these cards is secretly selected and it's strength value and special ability is used. After the battle it is discarded. After using your 7th, final card, all 7 come back to your hand.

Areas of Influence
Three tracks at the top of the map for this: Iron Throne, Fiefdoms and King's Court.
Iron Throne - Order of tokens is turn order, and the #1 spot decides the winner of all ties, except for in combat. The get the Iron Throne token. House Baratheon begins with this.

Fiefdoms - You win ties against anyone lower on this track than your House. The #1 spot gets the Valyrian Steel Blade token and can use it once per turn for +1 strength. House Greyjoy begins with this.

King's Court - Order determines how many of your special orders you can play during each Planning phase. It's very important to remember that your special orders are limited by this track. #1 & #2 - 3 specials per turn, #3 - 2, #4 - 1, #5 & #6 - none. #1 spot gets the Messenger Raven token which allows them to replace any one of their orders with another they did not place on the board, after all orders are revealed. House Lannister begins with this.
Supply
On the right of the map is the Supply track. When, and only when, a Supply event is revealed, you reconcile the track with the areas you control which contain supply icons (barrels). The numbers by the track spaces represent the sizes of the armies/fleets you can have on the board. If an area has a single unit, it is *not* an army or fleet. So, you can have all the areas you want with one unit in them. When Mustering units, if you cannot place a unit without violating your supply, then you cannot muster that unit.

If you ever accidentally exceed your supply when moving/retreating, you must destroy units in excess. (Golden Rule stated on pg. 11 in bold italics)

Battles
1) Attacker and defender call for support
2) Combat strength for both sides is announced
3) Both attacker and defender simultaneously play a
House Card
4) The Valyrian Steel Blade may be played (once per
game turn only)
5) Battle resolution. Loser is determined, casualties
are removed, and the losing player retreats any surviving
units

Just giving the outline. Battles are explained on pg. 12.

Ports
Ports represent a new special area governed by special rules. These are as follows:

- Port areas may only be occupied by Ship units.

- Ships in a Port area may receive Order tokens as normal (but note that a Defense Order given to a Port is useless, since Ports can never be attacked directly). Under certain conditions, Ships in a Port may receive the Consolidate Power order, see more details below.

- Ports function as special areas between the Land and Sea area. Only the player controlling its land area may use the Port and is considered the Port owner.

- A Port owner's ships may March from the Sea area into the Port, or may March from the Port into the Sea area. Note that enemy ships may never March into a Port
owned by another player.

- A Port may never contain more than three Ship units at one time. Ships in Port are still subject to normal supply rules.

- When a Land area that contains a Port musters new units, the mustering player may place Ship units directly into the adjacent Sea area (using the normal rules of
mustering) or the player may place a newly mustered Ship directly on that area's Port. Important note: Players are allowed to muster new Ship units into a Port,
even if the Sea area is occupied by enemy Ships.

- Ships in Port may Support a battle in the Sea area but may not support a battle in the Land area.

- Ships in Port may Raid the Sea area, but not the Land area.

- Enemy Ships in the Sea area may Raid any Support, Raid, or Consolidate Power orders in the Port as normal.

- If a Port's land area is successfully invaded by another House, the conquering player may immediately replace the Ship units in the Port area with his own unused Ship units. That player must still stay within his supply limits, and if he cannot, he must remove the Ship units, one by one, until he is in compliance with his Supply limit. Such an invading player may choose not to take over the Ships in the Port and destroy them immediately after invading the Land area. If the player does decide to take the Ships, however, he may not choose to destroy them at a later time.

- During the Planning Phase, a player may place a Consolidate Power order on a Port that contains at least one ship. If, during the Resolve Consolidate Power
Orders step of the Action Phase, there are no enemy ships in the Sea area, the player may execute the Consolidate Power order to claim a Power token as normal.
This simulates trade with the free cities and the other exotic locations in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire.

- During the Westeros Phase, when a 'Game of Thrones' Westeros Card is resolved, players receive one Power token for every friendly Port containing at least on Ship unit, as long as the Port's Sea area does not contain enemy Ship units (in which case the player receives nothing). This also represents the wealth of trade, as
mentioned in the point above.
Neutral Forces
To successfully march into an area containing neutral forces, a player must equal or exceed the neutral strength with the strength of his marching units and any adjacent supporting areas (support from your own areas or from any other willing house).

Note that marching into a neutral area does not make a battle, and thus no cards are played. The March order modifier (-1,0, or +1) however, is added/subtracted
to/from your marching strength.
Rivers
The borders of Land areas on the game board are identified by a surrounding white border. Some borders, however, are bright blue and represent large rivers. Rivers may not be crossed by marching units unless there is a river crossing (marked on the board with a bridge symbol) between the two areas. The only two river crossings on the board are found by The Twins, and in the area of Crackclaw Point.

You may not March, Support, or Raid across a river (again, unless there's a river crossing.)
The Everyman - Baratheon
Darian - Lannister
ronrab - Stark
Mordenthral - Martell
The Crow - Greyjoy
jakobagger - Tyrell

Since the map is so large (and needs to be) I'll post one copy here and replace it when/as it updates.

The Map:
agot_Penny.gif

Mordenthral on

• The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to play, though I don't own any of the boardgames, and have never actually played myself.

The Everyman on
  • MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's fine. I can start out small and run the base game (with ports.) No need to overwhelm new players.

Mordenthral on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't own the game, and don't know the rules in detail yet, but i've wanted to try this for some time.

For now, I'll reserve up

jakobagger on
  • The CrowThe Crow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game is a good time. I'm definately down to de-lurk for a game. I own the base game, but none of the expansions.

The Crow on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could be tempted to play, although I've never tried it before.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is actually game 2, at least (I think there might have been another one, trying to use the expansions, but it fizzled out early and I didn't get it into the list).

Game 1 was hosted by Hermenegilde, who also played in it (he sent his orders as a locked file to another player, iirc). Feel free to steal whatever you need from that thread, of course; you can probably track down Hermenegilde for board images, if you don't already have something you like better.

Also: reserve up
    I'd like to see this happen, but I've played it before and will happily leave the slots for others and watch instead.

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Have everything I need already.

In
    The Everyman
    The Crow
    TheLawinator

Reserve
    jakobagger
    Darian
    putrio

Mordenthral on
  • ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Never played, but interested. throne up

ronrab on
    edited June 2010
    Have everything I need already.

In
    The Everyman
    The Crow
    TheLawinator
    ronrab

Reserve
    jakobagger
    Darian
    putrio

Mordenthral on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If we're playing the base game (plus ports) I'll change my reserve to full sign up.

jakobagger on
    edited June 2010
    jakobagger wrote: »
    If we're playing the base game (plus ports) I'll change my reserve to full sign up.

I guess I should really say, with ports AND House Martell; for 6 players.

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010
    Arr. Went looking at the other game that was run here and this may be a bit much for me, as in makes my head want to explode.

ronrab on
    edited June 2010
    ronrab wrote: »
    Arr. Went looking at the other game that was run here and this may be a bit much for me, as in makes my head want to explode.

I got my mom and dad to play a game. I'm sure you can handle it. But.. just let me know if you're in or out.

The rules are here.

Mordenthral on
    edited June 2010

That one is using several other expansion rules beyond base.

Darian on
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    !signup

Heard a lot about this one on the geek, interested to play.

Gene Parmesan on
    edited June 2010
    I'm... innnn. We'll give 'er a go.

ronrab on
    edited June 2010

I guess I should really say, with ports AND House Martell; for 6 players.

Well then.

jakobagger on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm... innnn. We'll give 'er a go.

You do one turn and you see easily how it all comes together.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ShushnikShushnik regular
      edited June 2010
      !omfgiwanttoplaysobad

reserve me up for the next 10 games. :D

Shushnik on
    • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
      edited June 2010
      Well i'm always up for getting in over my head, i'll take a !reserve slot for now, hope this gets going should be interesting.

Void Slayer on
      He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
      edited June 2010

In
      The Everyman
      The Crow
      TheLawinator
      ronrab
      jokoagger
      Gene Parmesan

Reserve
      Void Slayer
      Darian
      putrio
      Shushnik
      Unless someone wants to give their spot to Nurgle, er.. I mean, Shushnik.

Mordenthral on
      edited June 2010
      Fantastic! I'll go over the rules today

Gene Parmesan on
      edited June 2010
      I assume I'm jokoagger?

jakobagger on
      edited June 2010
      I assume I'm jokoagger?

lol Yes. Don't know what happened there.

Mordenthral on
      edited June 2010
      I'll get some reference stuff into the first post (you may notice that is also where the map is going to be) then pass out the House cards.

Mordenthral on
      edited June 2010
      Sounds good to me.

The Everyman on
      edited June 2010
      Awesome. Are we choosing Houses, or just doing it randomly?

The Crow on
      edited June 2010
      The Crow wrote: »
      Awesome. Are we choosing Houses, or just doing it randomly?

If the players have a preference between choosing or having them dealt out, go ahead and speak up.

Mordenthral on
      edited June 2010
      Since this is my first time I'm good on the houses being random

Gene Parmesan on
      edited June 2010
      I think having them be dealt out is the best solution.

The Everyman on
      edited June 2010
      I vote random too.

jakobagger on
    • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
      edited June 2010
      That map is huge. I also vote random.

TheLawinator on
      My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
      edited June 2010
      Random is good for me.

The Crow on
      edited June 2010
      Winter is coming.

Darian on
      edited June 2010
      Random

ronrab on
    • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
      edited June 2010
      haha, I just came in here to say this is Game 3 not game 1.

Good luck everyone! I wish I had more time to play, but I don't. AGOT is one of my favorite games. I bought all 3 games after I played the first pbp

Orange Soda on
    • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
      edited June 2010
      Darian, game 2 is here for your records:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=98764

We never finished it though.

Orange Soda on
      edited June 2010
      OK, posted some stuff in the first post, but you should read the rules. I certainly didn't go through and regurgitate everything.

House assignment and first turn order:

The Everyman - Baratheon
      TheLawinator - Lannister
      ronrab - Stark
      Gene Parmesan - Martell
      The Crow - Greyjoy
      jakobagger - Tyrell

Watch for some PMs to go out, and then we can get started with sending me your first Order assignments.

Mordenthral on
      edited June 2010
      The Crow - Greyjoy

Just a comment - DimGray is much more readable on these forums than true Black.

Darian on
      edited June 2010
      Darian wrote: »
      The Crow - Greyjoy

Just a comment - DimGray is much more readable on these forums than true Black.

Could be. But the only thing I'd put in black is the word Greyjoy.

The Crow, feel free to use DimGray when you post for readability.

Edit: Although I have no trouble reading the black.

Mordenthral on