As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Rogue Trader: The Fools Gamble

Undead UnicornUndead Unicorn Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Critical Failures
ElderNavigator-IFS.jpg

“As you know there are many treasures to be found in the Calixius Sector. Many fortunes to be won in the Koronus Expanse. Unbelievable wealth to be earned once one passes through the Maw. The catch is, you must survive.

Xeno and Daemons are a common threat, and are most certainly to be prepared for and to be taken seriously for sure. By the Emperor, you'd be a fraken fool not to know that. But they aren't the things that will take most of you down in the end. Oh no, I would face down an horde of Orks or fight off Ruinous Powers than face down just one of these foes. At least if you did your homework, you could predict what those bastards are doing. Not these beasts though. What is this foe to be most feared you ask? Your fellow man. Do not be deceived by them! Both the mightiest and cleverest; and the foolish and weakest of Traders have fallen to them. Nothing is deadlier than a Inquisitor or Planetary Governor with a grudge or agenda. Let alone a fellow Rogue Trader ”

Homer Bethestha, Founder of the Rogue Trader Bethestha lineage.

rogue-trader-logo-lg.png

Rogue Trader: The Fools Gamble

All know who know of the Rogue Trader's, know of the Warrant of Trade, for it is that gives them a form of freedom all but unknown to any one else. It is what gives them a chance at an absurd amount of wealth. It allows them to visit worlds across the galaxy forbidden to most others. To interact with vile Xenos and their cultures in some capacity without being declared heretics. It gives them and only those select few a life of adventure.

They do not know the burden.

The power the Traders manage to wield with so little interference more often than not draws ire and envy in the eyes of many in the Administratum and suspicion in the Inquisition. The expectations forced upon to them are massive, and failure in their duty is unacceptable.

Even victory and success are bittersweet. Wealth and influence are more addicting than even the most powerful narractics, as Traders who fallen from grace can often tell you. Ambition turns to greed, patience becomes desperation, and boldness changes into blindness. Its is called pride before a fall.

But still the freedom, the power, the wealth, the fame....are desired greatly for a reason. Even if its a fool's gamble

The Game:

Rogue Trader is a great game, full of both adventure and peril. Nearly any style of game you want to be played can be accommodated. Want to lead an army to ursup an forest moon from a race of primitive lizard like Xeno? Go ahead! want political drama and proverbial (and literal) back stabbing in gold plated ballrooms and dining halls deciding the fate of a mining colony? No Prob! Want to explore ancient ruins, searching for Xeno artifacts? Easily done my friend! Want to be a pirate? Why just get your eye patch and parrot and we're all set to go.!

As such, while I do have a narrative lined up for this campaign, it will be mostly sandbox styled. I'll put up Star Maps and what not, and though GM fiat tell you about prospective objectives or missions or general “interesting” news that will decide what adventures you might want to take.

Given that this is will be a play by post, I've decided the prospective party size can be increased a tiny bit.

I'm looking for 5-7 players for this game, I'll except each of you to post at least once a week out of combat and 2-3 times a week while engaged in it (though I can take over in those circumstances.)

Rules:

Standard Character Creation and Profit/ship generation.

I would like a short bio to go along with your Origin Path for some better plot hooks for your characters. This will come along way to getting you into the game if room seems to be filling up.

Be respectful to your fellow players. Nothing ruins a game more than two people in a party who are at each others throats out of character.

Use Invisible Castle or something similar for stats.

Undead Unicorn on

• Options
    edited June 2010
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm all over this. Gimmie tomorrow to look over the rules and make a char

Snowdown on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, I'm shocked I actually managed to find this before it was overflowing with replies. I'm definitely in.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Good, now to just see the character sheets roll in.

Speaking of witch Moridin and Snowdown....what type of characters do you want to play?

Undead Unicorn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm thinking either a Noble Duelist (Arch-militant probably) or a Missionary, with flamers and faith, fighting back foes.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just two of us interested? I'm certain there's more people

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd really, really love to play this.

I'd super love to play an Astropath or Arch-Militant.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yay 3!

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hoo-rah!

On that note, I think I'll roll up an Arch-Militant! :D

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm still debating between Rogue Trader or Missionary. I wrote them both up, and they both look so cool in theory.

I guess it depends on whether or not we get someone who wants to be the leader type or if the GM has a NPC leader perhaps?

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    2d10+25 → [3,8,25] = (36)
    2d10+25 → [10,2,25] = (37)
    2d10+25 → [8,4,25] = (37)
    2d10+25 → [9,1,25] = (35)
    2d10+25 → [4,2,25] = (31)
    2d10+25 → [3,1,25] = (29)
    2d10+25 → [6,2,25] = (33)
    2d10+25 → [7,7,25] = (39)
    2d10+25 → [4,7,25] = (36)

Dice weren't superkind to me, but I'll reroll Agility (i gotta be able to beat a 6...): 2d10+25 → [6,4,25] = (35)
    ... well, 10 beats 6, at least.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2588996/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2589001/

edit: Ack, Moridin! I didn't see above that you were considering an Arch-Militant, too! I'd be fine using these rolls (moving the reroll to Int rather than Agi) and making an Astropath instead.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    No, don't worry about it. Stay the arch-militant. I always have other options

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've never played this, but I'm super duper into 40K.

How hard is it to learn/are the rules available online somewhere?

I'd love to play if it's not insanely complicated to learn.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    the core mechanic of warhammer RPGs is not complex at all (roll under your attribute + modifiers on a d100), but there's a lot of rules.

i think it'd be possibly, if annoying, to get by without the book.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I shall try to obtain the book, then.

As for now, assume that I'm in. 40K makes me all tingly inside.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hello! I'd also like to sign up for interest, really I just want an excuse to buy a book.
    A sanctioned psyker of some sort appeals to me so put me down provisionally for an astropath or navigator.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm still down, just havn't been able to look over character creation and archetypes, and such.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Unless anyone else desires the position, I'll call dibs on the Rogue Trader. Just warning you, I'll need a good Seneschal/Missionary (Some sort of talky person). My character will have Brook No Insult, and may be slightly volatile when negotiating with those that are less than flattering to us.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How dissimilar is this to standard Dark Hairesy? I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, but I love me some warhammers.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's a more epic scale than Dark Heresy. You don't die quite so often and you aren't serving the inquisiton. You are out making monies and ripping other Rogue Traders off. As well as ship-to-ship combat. It's pretty neat.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rogue Trader uses a pretty similar system but it includes less "Lol, you lose" rules than Dark Heresy

And RT characters are supposed to be on par with a DH character with 5000 xp

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ah, I'm familiar with the setting, I was just wondering if it uses the same ruleset.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Is there a submission deadline on this? I should be able to pick up the book today. Off the top of my head, I was thinking some kind of telekine ass-kicker, unless that's already been claimed.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Beirnard Quadrarch

Hive World
    Stubjack
    Duty Bound - Duty to the Throne
    Ship Lorn
    Vengeance - Hatred: Criminals
    Missionary

Done
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2590724/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2590725/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2590770/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2590772/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2590774/

Italicized words signify that they were bought or otherwise gained.

WS [strike](32)[/strike](44)
    BS (30)
    S (37)
    T (29)
    Ag (35)
    Int (36)
    Per (36)
    Wil [strike](35)[/strike](43)
    Fel (36)
    W (8)
    FP (2)

Skills
    Common Lore (Creed, Imperium)
    Dodge
    Forbidden Lore (Heresy)
    Hatred: Criminals
    Medicae(Mastery)
    Scholastic Lore (Creed)
    Speak Language(High/Low Gothic, Hive Dialect)

Talents
    Basic Weapon Training(Uni)
    Melee Weapon Training(Uni)
    Armor of Contempt
    Dark Soul
    Pure Faith
    Quick Draw
    Unshakable Faith

Bought
    Willpower (Simple)
    Medicae
    Dodge
    300xp Remaining*

Items
    Best Staff
    Good Flamer
    Best Vanaheim Shotgun
    -Duplus Ammo Pack

Best Flak Armor
    Ecc. Robes
    Aquila
    Sepulcher
    Censer and Incense
    Micro-Bead

*+100xp from intersecting with INeedNoSalt(Stubjack)

The man now called Beirnard of the Quadrarch family has led a short, yet dense life among the imperium's stars. Beirnard spent his youth rebelling against his father’s ecclesiarchal background as a ganger in the underhive of Fenksworld. With the little medicae training from his childhood and his natural talent with blades, Beirnard found himself in the position of field medic for the infamous Fenk Beasts. By virtue of his irreplaceable skills and relative safety of his position, Beirnard climbed to the top merely through outliving his superiors.

Though he had the enormous power of the largest and most influential criminal organization of the underhive, he did not possess the vicious qualities required to command it. Sensing this weakness of character, rival gangs set into action. After many failed assassination attempts, they struck at the only thing they could: his father. Hearing the news of his father's church being attacked, Beirnard went to see it for himself. He stood among the smoking ruins of the broken cathedral and saw his father's lifeless corpse lying prostrate in front of a statue of the Emperor's countenance. The God-Emperor’s visage peered down at Beirnard with divine contempt, and this heavenly sign was not lost upon him. Incensed and maddened by his father’s death, wracked with guilt from the blood on his hands, and empowered with a seething hatred achievable only by mankind, Beirnard took the ceremonial staff and vestments from his father and started against his quarry.

Beirnard took back control of his men with fiery sermons and conversions by fire. Having rallied the entirety of the Fenkbeasts to his cause, he led brutal assault after brutal assault in the Emperor’s name against those who would rise against him. The death toll reached into the thousands in the first week as his men took holy promethium to the crime syndicates that covered the hive, scouring it clean of filth and heresies. As the underworld crusade raged on, Beirnard did not relent in his vengeance until he had his father’ murderers wracked in pyres stretching across the underhive.

His hatred and army of zealots spent, Biernard had nothing left but to mourn for his father. Sitting among his ruined parish, he was greeted by an unfamiliar man clad in jet black raiments. “You’re a difficult man to find, Father Quadrarch. I’ve been looking for you since your crusade started.” “I can hardly be called ‘Father’.” The black-clad man chuckles, saying, “I am Inquisitor Karst, I was sent here to investigate rumors concerning the ‘Fenk-Beasts’, but it would seem that you have done my work for me.” Karst looked at the surrounding wreckage. “I suppose this is what started it all?” Beirnard nodded, and Karst continued. “Taking control of your son’s gang, converting them to a righteous path, and leading them to cleanse an underhive is quite an accomplishment; however, your son was not amongst the dead. Do you know where he might be?” Beirnard was surprised, as the inquisitor thought that he was his father. Sensing his chance at redemption, he answered Karst, “My son is dead to those who would seek him, I am the last of my family.” Karst, sensing that there was nothing left for Beirnard on Fenksworld, invited him to his personal retinue.

While Beirnard had a great deal of respect toward the inquisitor, he could not agree with his methods; especially when they would have to erase evidence of their involvement in a matter. "To die in the Emperor's service is to die a martyr, whether they agreed to it or not." Beirnard would often try to sway Karst with scripture, but it would inevitably come to the fact that it was an order from a superior, and Beirnard would obey. After fifteen years, Beirnard had seen too many innocents and acolytes die in his care, and had decided to retire. On the return trip to Fenksworld, the 'The Emperor's Wraith' stopped for maintenance on small, backwater planet. While Beirnard was in the city buying supplies for his Fenksworld clinic, his Inquisitor's ship was attacked and destroyed in port by another ship. Beirnard swore revenge for his murdered friends and spent months with the Arbites scouring the debris for any possible information. However, when a rogue trader visited the small planet, he could not forsake the tools its retinue had at their disposal. Using his Aquila and faith to persuade the captain, he joined the ship to further his investigation.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hotran wrote: »
    Is there a submission deadline on this? I should be able to pick up the book today. Off the top of my head, I was thinking some kind of telekine ass-kicker, unless that's already been claimed.

The two flavors of Psyker in Rogue Trader aren't really heavy on the 'ass-kicking' part (or rather, it's not their focus); Navigators navigate ships (and kill people with their freaky third eye, I suppose!), and Astropaths are comms people :D

I'm holding off posting a sheet til the GM shows that he's around though :p

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Question: Why are talents that are automatically added to a character due to their path(say, True Faith for Missionary) also listed in the advancements?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Question: Why are talents that are automatically added to a character due to their path(say, True Faith for Missionary) also listed in the advancements?

probably an example of how your character got to their baseline 4500 xp

might also be there to show what qualifies for out-of-Career Elite Advances at a particular rank (for other Careers)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is no submission deadline though I'd like to get this started in a week.

Undead Unicorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Will you be rolling for Profit/Ship Points, or do we need to pick someone to roll it?

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Will you be rolling for Profit/Ship Points, or do we need to pick someone to roll it?

Your RT should do it, in all fairness.

Undead Unicorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'm rolling up stats right now, then I'll edit this with a sheet and the starting profit factor and ship points. Anybody have any backgrounds that alter profit factor?

Characteristics
    Re-roll perception. Had to beat a 4 and got a 7. Awesome
    Rogue Trader
    Skills: Command, Commerce, Charm, Common Lore (Imperium), Evaluate,
    Scholastic Lore (Astromancy)
    Talents: Air of Authority, Pistol Training (universal), Melee Training (universal)
    Starting Gear: Plasma Pistol, Power sword, Micro-bead, void-suit, Set of fine clothing,
    Xeno-pelt cloak, Best storm carapace

Nobleborn: -5 Wil +5 Fel
    Literacy, Speak (H Gothic, L Gothic) as basic
    Etiquette: +10 Interaction to authorities and in formal situations
    Legacy of Wealth: +1 Profit Factor
    Supremely Connected: Peer (Nobility, Government)
    Vendetta (To be decided)

Vaunted: Decadence, +3 Ag, -3 Per and 1d5 CP

Chosen by Destiny
    Fated for Greatness: +1 FP, 1d10+1 IP

High Vendetta
    Blood Will have Blood: Die hard, Inquiry skill
    Brook No Insult

Prestige: Talented (Charm)

Characteristics
    WS- 36 +5
    BS- 34
    Str- 36
    T- 36
    Ag- 37+3
    Int- 33
    Per- 32-3
    Will- 39-5
    Fel- 42+5 +5

Purchased with Exp
    Ambidextrous
    Dodge
    Weapon Skill
    Fellowship

Character Biography:
    The nobility of the Imperium of Man. Families wielding colossal powers and funds, unparallelled to any other non-governmental body. Being born and raised in such a position of privelege is a blessing, allowing members to view and change imperial society as a whole. Ambition, keen wit, and ruthlessness keep your family at the top, granting them what all powerful people want: More power. It's no wonder Raglan never fit in.

Raglan is a fop. A self-obsessed, narcissistic, wastrel whose only ambitions in life were to see how many years he could blur together in a grand conglomeration of alcohol, narcotics, and women. The only areas in which he was remarkable at all were his ease at making firends and acquaintances, and his skill with a blade. Although, his over-inflated opinion of himself and quick temper meant not many stuck around for long.

Drifting through life, muddled by the various chemicals in his system, Raglan did not keep a close eye on important events. The Trask family had slowly but surely been bleeding profits for years, as other more aggressive Houses edged them out of the local markets, unable to compete with them on a intersystem scale. The Trasks Warrant allowed them to reach much further than other families, although it seemed like it was time for a new Lord-captain for the vessel, one who would more assuredly improve their financial means.

Raglan, being an unimportant scion, 4th seat down, way out of contention for any important duties at all, would never have been considered for such an honorable and important task. But the Emperor had other ideas and when jealous houses, keen on ruining the Trasks and taking their warrant for themselves, raided their household, cutting a swath through the family, leaving but a few elders and Raglan himself alive. He was not forthcoming with the particulars of his survival, or how he got the long scar that spans the right side of his body.

Now thrust into the seat of command, he started pulling strings and looking for friends and men of particular talents, to accompany him, and perhaps help him figure out how to do this whole leadership thing.

And finally, the moment we've all been waiting for, Starting Profit factor and Ship points! Could be worse.... or better, depending on how you want to think about it.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    2d10+25 → [3,8,25] = (36)
    2d10+25 → [10,2,25] = (37)
    2d10+25 → [8,4,25] = (37)
    2d10+25 → [9,1,25] = (35)
    2d10+25 → [4,2,25] = (31)
    2d10+25 → [3,1,25] = (29)
    2d10+25 → [6,2,25] = (33)
    2d10+25 → [7,7,25] = (39)
    2d10+25 → [4,7,25] = (36)

Dice weren't superkind to me, but I'll reroll Agility (i gotta be able to beat a 6...): 2d10+25 → [6,4,25] = (35)
    ... well, 10 beats 6, at least.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2588996/
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2589001/

edit: Ack, Moridin! I didn't see above that you were considering an Arch-Militant, too! I'd be fine using these rolls (moving the reroll to Int rather than Agi) and making an Astropath instead.

You can chose to be a Arch Militant if you want. Mordin wants to be a Rogue Trader...

Undead Unicorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just a note, if anyone had their heart set on Missionary, I could switch over to Astropath without a problem.

I don't have anything against our resident RT rolling for Profit.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    is 9 'really rich, terrible ship' or 'amazing ship, incredibly poor'?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Good ship, pretty poor 30/60

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Good ship, pretty poor 30/60

I always thought highest and lowest numbers where the worst. You have a good ship, and you aren't piss poor when it comes it rolls. You'll just have to chose your first Endeavors carefully.

But boy, I'm going to exploit the fact you have to build alliances :lol:

Undead Unicorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I guess I can kiss my best quality force maul goodbye.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well, not really. You can still get some gear with your Profit Factor.

Undead Unicorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    We do still get one free acquisition, with no test required. You could use that for your force maul.

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Well, not really. You can still get some gear with your Profit Factor.

Truthfully, I don't really understand how acquisition works. As far as I can tell, in order to get an item I'd do something like this: Take base rarity(-20 for Very Rare), scale(+30 for a single item), and craftsmanship(-30). With a profit of 30, I'd remove 50 and add 30 for a total of 10. So, then I'd have to roll 1-10 in order to get the item, or I'd have to wait until we reached a new port or increased our profit rating.

Is that right, or am I just not reading something?

Moridin889 wrote: »
    We do still get one free acquisition, with no test required. You could use that for your force maul.

One free acquisition of a total of +0. My maul would land at +10, and I will not brook the insult of using a good quality weapon for fear of enraging our good captain.

Carnarvon on