As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Games and Technology

GPIA7R on

• SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woo, new thread.

I've got nothing of value to contribue.

Sipex on
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm 95% certain my wife got this for my birthday on Sunday.

I think I can finish playing DQ5 by then, assuming I abandon hope of ever recruiting that King Cureslime.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why not slimetinels

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why not slimetinels

This man has a point, with another slime we could make a slime stack.

I'm so sorry.

Sipex on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    New thread title is made of [strike]win[/strike] slime.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Metal sliiiiiiimes.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • ElmoogleElmoogle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Classic heart warming DQ storyline. Guaranteed to depress the hell out of you.
    Would like to recommend these changes to OP post.

Elmoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was confused when I read the thread title and thought to myself "There another new DQ game? And its about slimes? Neato." Then the confusion wore off and I felt slightly stupid. Luckily nobody was around to witness my brief moment of weakness.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So has anyone else made an entire party of max fan users, and specced them up for every passive strength / agility ability?

They are all priests as far as the end class goes, pretty much only for the MP / agility so they can spam fandango against liquid metal slimes.

Every high level boss fight has more or less consisted of everyone psyching up to 20, double up, then fandango. Sometimes one party member dies, but it hasn't made a difference yet.

I haven't gotten sage yet though, how does the reduced MP skill operate? Just a passive reduction in cost?

reddeath on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, this is bugging me, but at least fix the broken /quote at the end of the OP. And its armamentalist, not magic knight.

And I guess while I'm at it, I'd suggest putting the weapons wielded for the advanced classes (I don't have the descriptions, otherwise I'd say put them in too), would be helpful:
    Gladiator: Sword, Axe, Club, Fisticuffs
    Armamentalist: Sword, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Paladin: Club, Spear, Wand, Shield
    Ranger: Bow, Axe, Boomerang, Fisticuffs
    Sage: Boomerang, Bow, Wand, Shield
    Luminary: Boomerang, Whip, Fan, Shield

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    New thread title is made of [strike]win[/strike] slime.

At least the OP isn't filled with slime puns like Shogum's introduction.

I've just doomed us all, haven't I? Goo grief.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I've just goomed us all, haven't I? Goo grief.

jothki on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I was working on a new OP last night before I fell asleep.

Oh, there are tons and tons of errors in mine, I just threw it together when I realized that the game was coming out in a few days.

Beast Master instead of Gladiator is a good one. But I kinda like BM.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2010
    I was working on a new OP last night before I fell asleep.

Oh, there are tons and tons of errors in mine, I just threw it together when I realized that the game was coming out in a few days.

Beast Master instead of Gladiator is a good one. But I kinda like BM.

When I had read the OP before I had the game I saw beast master and thought that there may be a class that captures monsters like in 8 (I think it was?). I was really let down to find out there wasn't one.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Where in the Tower of Nod do Metal King Slimes appear?
    5th Floor. They don't have their own sprite there, though. Just a chance to be in a fight with other things.

As for fans being great Metal Killers, there are fans that, outside of the very rare dodge, never miss metal slimes so a few of those + Fandango for everyone...
    and these fans are... damn. being cryptic isn't very helpful

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    40 Hour Main Game: Classic heart warming DQ storyline.
    Guaranteed to depress the hell out of you.

Please remove that spoiler'd line fromt he OP. Sheesh. Glad I don't have to spend money buying the other DQs since you ruined them for me.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    5th Floor. They don't have their own sprite there, though. Just a chance to be in a fight with other things.

As for fans being great Metal Killers, there are fans that, outside of the very rare dodge, never miss metal slimes so a few of those + Fandango for everyone...

I also am very interested in this spoiler.

reddeath on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't know which ones! If I did I would have named them! I just know they exist!

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think I'm ready for a Dragon Quest Swords sequel with Motion Plus.

Artereis on
    edited July 2010
    http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16126

found it.
    Fans - VERY important. Mastering fans allows one character to do the Hustle Dance to heal everyone in the party, and fans are one of the best weapons for fighting metal monsters later in the game. For that you need the Furinkazan/Attribeauty fan (obtained through Wi-Fi, or high level treasure chests). You can never miss a metal monster with it (though on rare occasions they can dodge) and you always get to go first in a turn when you use it (so they can't run away). It also can lower the tension of a monster, but that is just an extra side affect. If you use Ougi no Mai/Fan Dango (88pts) you can hit metal monsters 4 times in a turn (depending on your level that can mean 6 damage).
    "(obtained through Wi-Fi, or high level treasure chests). " makes the fan terrible advice to give to newcomers. Either sword with metal slash or fisticuffs/claws/? with multihit are better suggestions. fandango is 8mp so is hard to use for many jobs

my link has lots of good advice, too. here's a horrible non-stylized quote of it
    So I thought that those of us that have played the game in Japanese could give some advice to everyone starting the game now.

Making Money through Alchemy
    Nikumori No Shapuka/Ear Cosey Sells for (1200G each, 230G profit)
    -Kegawa no Hood/Fur Hood (550 G) found in Dock/Slurry Quay(day)
    -Usagi no Omamori/Bunny Tail (240G) found in Erafita/Zere(day) or Tsuo/Llaffan
    -Yawaraka Wool/Lambswool (180G) found in Karubado/Batsureg.

Requirement: You can't do this until you have the boat.
    This is the best way of making money early in the game. But the smaller gold profit coupled with the fact there are three stores, and that one of the stores you need to go to is only open during the day means that as soon as you've made the base amount needed to start during Gold Mail runs, your best off switching to that.

Gold Mail Sells for (4,900G each, 330G profit)
    -Silver Mail (4,000 G) Sanmarou/Bloomingdale.
    -Gold Bracelet/Bracer(350G) found in Tsuo/Llaffan.
    -Gold Ring (220G) found in Tsuo/Llaffan.

Requirement: You can't do this until you have the boat. Doesn't make financial sense until you have about 30,000G to invest.
    This is a fairly fast way to make a lot of money. A Gold Mail run takes about 5 minutes, and with 99 gold mail, you make 32,670 profit each run. This is an important number, because a lot of the rare things in the Wi-Fi shop cost around this much. For example, an orb (on sale in the Japanese store this week) costs 30,000. So you can make sure to buy out the store each day with about 10 minutes work (depending on how many rare items there are). I think I've heard that when you've made 300,000 on the Nikumori No Shapuka/Ear Cosey is when you should switch over to making Gold Mail instead.

Treasure Chests
    There are 10 types of blue treasure chests in Treasure Maps. A host and guest can both open the same blue chest (though there is a bug in the Japanese version, where if the map was opened before the guest arrives then all of the treasure chests are already opened). For each treasure chest in each map the order of the random items that could appear is always the same. This can be manipulated using quick save. If you quick save in front of a chest when the game reloads if you "immediately" open the chest then it will always contain the same item. By immediately it means that the games counter hasn't advanced. Moving, opening, etc could advance the meter. But if you don't like what the immediate item that you get is, then you can press select to go to the status window as soon as the game restarts. If you count the seconds while the window is open and then immediately open the treasure chest in front of you, then the same count will get you the same item each time.

Suggested Skills
    Skill points can be carried over from one job to another, so if you don't allocate the skills in one job, you can change jobs and allocate the skills gained from the first job for skills in the second job.

Job Skills
    All job skills are useful, because they permanently increase your stats in all jobs. STAT SEEDS ONLY INCREASE YOUR STATS IN THE JOB YOU USED THEM IN. While your goal should be to master all of them, some have skills that are particularly useful.

Minstrel- Killer Juggling/Have a Ball (82pts) Very useful for fighting against metal slimes. Hits monsters 6-8 times).

Priest- Zombie Guard/Rotstopper (70pts) Not all that useful really, but there is a boss battle later on in the game where using this technique makes it so that the enemy is only hitting single digit damage off of you.

Thief - Steal/Half-Inch (10pts) Important for a number of quests, and just for getting good drops.
    Thief - Thief's Nose/Nose for Treasure (42pts) Find how many treasure chests are left in a dungeon or town. Does not work in treasure maps.
    Thief - Miyaburu/Eye for Trouble (68pts) Adds full monster information to your Monster Book. Including an extra page with interesting information or jokes about the monster.
    Thief - Otakura Sagashi/Treasure Eye Land (100ots) Shows where unopened treasure chests are, shows where the stairs are in Treasure maps.

Ranger - Sterusu/Vanish (32pts) Makes you invisible to monsters. Useful in treasure maps when you are in a hurry to get to the boss at the end, treasure chests, or in Masayuki, to the metal king slimes.

Sage - Dharma no Satori/Jack's Knack (3pts) Change classes any time. Useful for leveling, and then changing to a stronger class right before a boss battle.
    Sage - Iyashi no Ame/Right as Rain (22pts) Heals the whole party at the end of each round.

Weapon Skills

Shield - One of the most important skills in the game. Allows you to block attacks. Master it so that you can use a shield in every job. You also block an extra 6% of the time through mastering the shield. With a Metal King Shield (obtained through a mix of treasure chests and alchemy) you can block more than 10% of attacks. It makes a big difference.

Swords - Generally useful. Good skill for fighting metal monsters early in the game with Metal Slash (13pts).

Fans - VERY important. Mastering fans allows one character to do the Hustle Dance to heal everyone in the party, and fans are one of the best weapons for fighting metal monsters later in the game. For that you need the Furinkazan/Attribeauty fan (obtained through Wi-Fi, or high level treasure chests). You can never miss a metal monster with it (though on rare occasions they can dodge) and you always get to go first in a turn when you use it (so they can't run away). It also can lower the tension of a monster, but that is just an extra side affect. If you use Ougi no Mai/Fan Dango (88pts) you can hit metal monsters 4 times in a turn (depending on your level that can mean 6 damage).

Magic Wand - Mastering it allows one of your characters to have the ability to resurrect characters no matter what job they currently are. Just holding a staff also allows them to regain Magic Power, They can also steal MP by attacking with their staff. (Though there is a Bow and Arrow technique that can work better for healing MP).

Whip - In and of itself it doesn't have many great skills, but Gringham whip available in later treasure maps allows you to hit every monster in battle, making the boomerang useless.`

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2010
    http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16126

found it.
    "(obtained through Wi-Fi, or high level treasure chests). " makes the fan terrible advice to give to newcomers. Either sword with metal slash or fisticuffs/claws/? with multihit are better suggestions. fandango is 8mp so is hard to use for many jobs
    Spears/Axes are still going to be better than Metal Slash, really. This is all based only on my playthrough, I've never had terrible problems with Metal Slimes or Metal Medleys, and Liquid Metal Slimes/Metal Kings have high enough HP that Metal Slash won't really do anything until/unless you have a couple Falcon Swords, too. So the Crit-or-Miss/Instant Kill type things (Spear's instant kill ability, Dagger's Instant Kill Ability + Instant Kill Dagger, etc) are better for them.

Besides, Fans are still amazing even outside of their Metal Killing ways. Excellent support moves, Fandango is great for more than just Metal Slimes, and a free Multi-Heal is always nice as backup. Fans are also the ultimate Tanker's Weapon.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Fans are also the ultimate Tanker's Weapon.
    If I had to pick one full-time weapon for a tank - not that you have to, because most of the class trees are irrelevant for tanking - I would go for staves or fisticuffs for the +4% evade chance, myself.

Mumblyfish on
    edited July 2010
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    Fans are also the ultimate Tanker's Weapon.
    If I had to pick one full-time weapon for a tank - not that you have to, because most of the class trees are irrelevant for tanking - I would go for staves or fisticuffs for the +4% evade chance, myself.
    Ehhh, if I absolutely had to choose, I think I would prefer the 4x Breath Reflection honestly. But, yeah, it's not too relevant. The Buff stays even without the weapon so 100 in Fans 30 in Fisticuffs is best. Use the Breath Reversal, then unequip the Fan for the Fisticuffs (which is always Omnivocational) Evasion Bonus and start in on Forbearance.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Silver Snowhall of Gloom lv.50

Its so pretty!

Blood Drive on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, I was thinking of rolling with a part like.

Main(Warrior: focus on sword/shield skills), mage, priest, thief.

Though I'm a little iffy on thieves, so I was wondering do they get good? I'm asking people I'm still pretty early in the game(just got to the first major city).

Dragkonias on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what is the point of Egg On? I have to use my main character's turn to use it, and not attack with the guy being egged on, for several turns to get to max?

Huuuuge damage! I think its something like 8x damage with max tension, and especially if you're also psyching up while being egged on, you essentially lose 4 turns (2 for each character) to get 8x damage with (hopefully) your biggest physical damage dealer.

I just found this out. :3
    I died to
    Master of Nu'un
    the first time, but I decided to try it and I beat him! Yay!

I guess I didn't see the use of it, seeing as my martial artist didn't have psych up himself. Because I didn't spend any points.
    On anyone. On purpose.
    :oops:

Right now I turned my main character into a level 1 warrior, with the rest of my party being a spear-using priest, a claw-using monk, and a wand-using mage.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not sure about thief, but I went (or will go when I can change my mains class) Warrior, Mage, Priest, Martial Artist. I've read MA are the WTF-boss killers because they do huge damage when Egg'ed On.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Magic Mirror + Forbearance vs a magic-using boss = Hilarity (and easy mode).

quaigy on
    edited July 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not sure about thief, but I went (or will go when I can change my mains class) Warrior, Mage, Priest, Martial Artist. I've read MA are the WTF-boss killers because they do huge damage when Egg'ed On.

This doesn't need to just be an MA, just someone who has trained enough in MA to grab psych up.

I can't really compare the two, but if I understand the mechanics right (and I admit I may be wrong), if you leveled up a character enough to get all the abilities in the class specific trees, wouldn't the only difference between an MA and a Thief be the stat growth difference between the classes?

Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

chrono_traveller on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How exactly does the first gladiator ability work? Is it just a damage boost that doesn't combo?

jothki on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    I just passed the 50 hour mark and
    awakened Celestia

How much further do I have to go? Not that I want it to end, but if I'm close I'd like to just stomp on through and get on with the post game stuff :D

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • quaigyquaigy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    I just passed the 50 hour mark and
    awakened Celestia

How much further do I have to go? Not that I want it to end, but if I'm close I'd like to just stomp on through and get on with the post game stuff :D
    You're two dungeons away.

quaigy on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would give all my money for the ability to re-colour my equipments

YggiDee on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Does DQVC update daily? Today had the same stuff as yesterday.

I wonder if everyone gets the same stuff in their store. Today I have:

Thunderball
    Lunaria
    Strong Antidote
    Agility Ring
    Prayer Ring
    Magic water

Also ... "Sellma". I love this game

hamdingers on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Also D-QVC.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited July 2010
    hamdingers wrote: »
    Does DQVC update daily? Today had the same stuff as yesterday.

I wonder if everyone gets the same stuff in their store. Today I have:

Thunderball
    Lunaria
    Strong Antidote
    Agility Ring
    Prayer Ring
    Magic water

Also ... "Sellma". I love this game
    It didn't update today because, assuming it's the same as last week, we're getting a new Quest tomorrow and they're tinkering with the servers or...what have you.

And it's a different list for everyone.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png