As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2010 PC Tournaments Rules & Info

ghrogghrog Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Hello All!

*Note that all information in this thread is subject to change between now and September 3rd*

This thread is for rules, registration guidelines, updates, schedules, and questions regarding PC tournaments ONLY. This thread will NOT cover BYOC activities, console freeplay, console tournament, or any other events, including handheld, tabletop, etc.

I'd also like to take a moment to thank Intel for generously devoting their time, efforts, and energy into making these tournaments possible. With out their support, these events wouldn't be possible, thank you.

Schedule
Friday, September 3rd
3:00pm - 6:00pm Team Fortress 2 (6v6)
8:00pm - 1:00am Left 4 Dead 2 (4v4)

Saturday, September 4th
12:00pm - 5:00pm League of Legends (3v3), presented by Riot Games!

Sunday, September 5th
11:00am - 4:00pm COD4 (5v5)

Registration
  • Registration for ALL PC tournaments begins on Friday, September 3rd at 10am, right outside of the PC-Tournament area.
  • Only full teams will be signed up. It is your job to join and/or create a team, we're not your babysitter. It is recommended you linger around the PC-Tournament area at signup time, and at tournament time and your chances of joining a team will be Pretty Good.
  • Check-in time will begin 45 minutes prior to a tournament's starting time. Competitors are required to check-in at least 15 minutes before the tournament's start time. If you/your team doesn't check in during this time, your spot will be opened for another person/team.

General Information
  • All tournaments will be exclusively using tournament computers provided by Intel and Nvidia. You will be allowed to bring over your mice and keyboards and customize your configurations, you will not be allowed to load software of any kind.
  • If you sign up for a tournament, please be there. If you decide you will be unable to, check in with us and let us know so we can open up a spot for someone else.
  • As a general rule, it's a good idea to show up at least 20 minutes in advance of each tournament, and that will give you time to configure your settings and warm up before the tournament begins.
  • We should be able to sit teams next together for the most part, but in cases where we can't, Ventrilo servers will be available. Feel free to ask if you'd like one and we'll provide you with password information.
  • In team games, please take care in choosing a team captain. Pick someone responsible. Being tall or otherwise easily found in crowd can also help.

PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
ghrog on

• ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FAQ

Q: Why are you ruining my favorite game?
    A: Because I fucking hate you.

Q: I have a question?
    A: Post it here, and I'll answer it. Or PM me.

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    Team Fortress 2 6v6
    Game-Type: Capture Point
    When: Friday, September 3rd 3:00pm - 6:00pm
    Format: 6 v 6, single elimination
    Team Cap: 32 teams (192 players)

Rules:
    • All competitors will be using Intel-provided tournament machines
    • you may bring your own peripherals; installing drivers is forbidden
    • 20 minute time limit
    • most accumulated rounds wins
    • class restrictions: 2 Soldiers, 2 Snipers, 2 Scouts, 2 Pyros, 2 Engineer, 2 Heavy, 2 Spy, 1 Demoman, 1 Medic
    • Weapon Restrictions: TBA (99% chance of no unlockables)
    • Killing during set-up is allowed
    • Crits Off

Maps:
    cp_well, cp_follower, cp_badlands, cp_granary, cp_gravelpit, cp_yukon, cp_freight

Format:
    Single Elimination Bracket
    Side selected randomly by admin coin flip.
    Random Seeding
    PAX PC-Tournament Administrators reserve the right to change this rule set at anytime.

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    Left 4 Dead 2 4v4
    Game-Type: Versus
    When: Friday, September 3rd, 8:00pm - 1:00am
    Format: 4v4, single elimination
    Team Cap: 32 teams (128 players)

Rules:
    • First Round will be the first 3 maps of any given campaign
    • Later rounds will be the full campaign
    • Cevo-Mod (Ready-Up Mod for L4D2)
    Campaigns:
    Dead Center, The Passing, Dark Carnival, Swamp Fever, Hard Rain

Format:
    Random Seeding

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    League of Legends 3v3
    Game-Type: Practice
    When: Saturday, September 4th, noon - 5:00pm
    Format: 3v3, single elimination
    Team Cap: 32 teams (96 players)

Rules:
    • You will have 20 minutes to spec and test your machine before beginning your match
    • Accounts will be provided with all runes unlocked
    • Accounts will be level 30
    Map-Options:
    • Twisted Treeline
    • Summer
    • Team-Size 3
    • Blind-Pick
    Maps:
    Twisted Treeline

Format:
    Side selected randomly by admin coinflip
    Random Seeding
    PAX PC-Tournament Administrators reserve the right to change this rule set at anytime.

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    TBA

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    Call of Duty 4 5v5
    Game-Type: Promod - Search and Destroy
    When: Sunday, September 5th 11:00am - 5:00pm
    Format: 5 v 5, single elimination
    Team Cap: 64 teams (320 players)

Rules:
    • Single-bomb
    • 7 second regeneration time
    • 1:45 round time
    • 20 rounds
    • play 10 rounds - switch sides
    • 60 second bomb timer
    • 4 second plant
    • 8 second defuse
    • Helicopter: Off
    • Air Strike: Off
    • Explodable cars/barrel damage ON
    • Spec Ops Limit of 2
    • Sniper fix of Lerp 10
    • ProMod
    • Once a team wins 11 rounds, leave the server

Maps:
    mp_backlot, mp_citystreets, mp_crash, mp_crossfire, mp_overgrown, mp_strike, mp_vacant

Format:
    Random Seeding

ghrog on
  • thetelevisi0nthetelevisi0n Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aw, you guys removed the Starcraft tourney. Is there gonna be a different game to replace SC?

thetelevisi0n on
  • NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aw, you guys removed the Starcraft tourney. Is there gonna be a different game to replace SC?

you aren't the only one sad....

NovaFlares on
  • VoiceofkiraVoiceofkira Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    NovaFlares wrote: »

you aren't the only one sad....

Ditto :(

Voiceofkira on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2010
    I suggest checking in with the tournament desk Saturday morning to see if we plug that hole with something, but for the time being we're going to leave the timeslot open.

David Coffman on
  • ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i do agree....a tourney for SC2 would be amazing.

I however have a suggestion on an adjustment for the L4D2 tournament:

Last year my friends and I participated in the L4D tournament and it was horrible. All the rules and regulations never worked out as they were stated, we ended up playing the last 2-3 missions of the vs mode instead of the first 3 like we were supposed to. Not to mention health kits were everywhere, and people were using them regardless of the rules, along with a bunch of other mix ups and things that made it not really fun at all.

My suggestion is that instead of Vs mode, and having everything being incredibly confusing, why not just do Scavenge mode instead? Its quicker, easier to track on what team won, and less confusing in total.

I doubt that it will change. So i am hoping this years l4d2 tournament will be a bit more under control and less chaotic than last years.

ToastedTrigger on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do all team members need to be present in order to sign up for the tournaments? or just names of players

deveric on
  • thetelevisi0nthetelevisi0n Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    deveric wrote: »
    Do all team members need to be present in order to sign up for the tournaments? or just names of players

Last year only one person had to sign up the team. All they asked for was the team name.

thetelevisi0n on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another possibility for L4D2 is Realism VS. In addition to having shorter rounds, it's generally better suited for competition and is just better. Though Scavenge would also work.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited August 2010
    well if SC2 can't work i propose ALTITUDE!!!! =D

NovaFlares on
  • RobDeBobRobDeBob Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    thetelevision and I are recruiting for a TF2 tourney team. All are welcome. Who's in?

RobDeBob on
    edited August 2010
    My sister and her friend want to join. She and her friend play as a demo/Medic

NovaFlares on
    edited August 2010
    Tell them both to add my SteamID (xxrobdebobxx) and I'll invite them to the group.

RobDeBob on
  • PyrilusPyrilus Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I would certainly appreciate a WoW tournament ;)

Pyrilus on
  • WolfboyWolfboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone around the forums interested in teaming up for the League of Legends tourney? I play a mean Poppy on Twisted Treeline :mrgreen: post here or add me on LoL: Wolfboy12

Wolfboy on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    wolfboysig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    i play a killer Teemo/Jax/Xin =D

if you think teemo sucks on TT well.... you don't know the use of low cooldown mushroom wards <3

NovaFlares on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pyrilus wrote: »
    I would certainly appreciate a WoW tournament ;)

Tournaments are finalized right now. Plus we did wow for the past... what?.... 4 PAXes? Time to change things up a bit :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • WolfboyWolfboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    NovaFlares wrote: »
    i play a killer Teemo/Jax/Xin =D

if you think teemo sucks on TT well.... you don't know the use of low cooldown mushroom wards <3

I know teemo's underestimated on that map, what's your Summoner name and we can run stuff later.

Wolfboy on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    wolfboysig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    NovaFlares <__<

NovaFlares on
    edited August 2010
    Unless NovaFlares' sister and her friend message me, I'm on the lookout for two more to join our TF2 tourney team.

RobDeBob on
  • Rob SpewackRob Spewack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rob, I'm in. Added you on Steam, get back to me when you can. Preferred class is Heavy, but as long as I have some time to warm up as another class (with a few exceptions), I'm game for anything.

Rob Spewack on
  • DietcoolDietcool Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I'm down like a clown, I'm whatever you need

Dietcool on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WHat are eligibility requirements for participants? Are there restrictions on who can and cannot participate?

I ask, because I have a media badge, but Im only at pax to cover a few things.

ZeroHourHero on
    edited August 2010
    Looking for one additional member to our team (some have been unresponsive/not in contact). Again, my SteamID is xxrobdebobxx. Thanks :)

RobDeBob on
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    he what about another Civ4 tournament? That was pretty epic last year!

perhaps if we plan ahead of time this year we can get it rolling a little quicker ;-)

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Mac32Mac32 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    I have two looking for a tf2 team. My friend has Cevo experience and would like to play soldier or scout. If it comes to it he can play anything but medic/demo. I have more expirience with soldier and pyro. Yet i can adapt to the other classes. Mac

Mac32 on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    japerry wrote: »

perhaps if we plan ahead of time this year we can get it rolling a little quicker ;-)

That was a BYOC only contest, not an overall PC tournament.

That said, there will likely be one again :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited August 2010
    BigRed wrote: »

That was a BYOC only contest, not an overall PC tournament.

That said, there will likely be one again :P

Perhaps I've missed it, but is there a BYOC contest thread? it'd be good to add in there!

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    The BYOC thread is stickied at the top of the page (below the announcements)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2010
    WHat are eligibility requirements for participants? Are there restrictions on who can and cannot participate?

I ask, because I have a media badge, but Im only at pax to cover a few things.
    If you're allowed to be at the show, you're allowed to play.

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    i do agree....a tourney for SC2 would be amazing.

I however have a suggestion on an adjustment for the L4D2 tournament:

Last year my friends and I participated in the L4D tournament and it was horrible. All the rules and regulations never worked out as they were stated, we ended up playing the last 2-3 missions of the vs mode instead of the first 3 like we were supposed to. Not to mention health kits were everywhere, and people were using them regardless of the rules, along with a bunch of other mix ups and things that made it not really fun at all.

My suggestion is that instead of Vs mode, and having everything being incredibly confusing, why not just do Scavenge mode instead? Its quicker, easier to track on what team won, and less confusing in total.

I doubt that it will change. So i am hoping this years l4d2 tournament will be a bit more under control and less chaotic than last years.

I'm too inclined to do Vs.

Things will run tighter this time around! Promise!

ghrog on
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Well yah, but that thread is a little cluttered eh? so everything that has to do with BYOC has to be in that thread?

japerry on
    7jIDTca.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Well yah, but that thread is a little cluttered eh? so everything that has to do with BYOC has to be in that thread?

Yes. This whole forum is cluttered right now and that's the best place for that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TheHooshTheHoosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    anyone need an extra for the league of legends tourney I can play a multitude of champs including warwick, mundo, jax, twitch, ashe, annie summoner name PaxFan pm me or add me in game and we can practice together

TheHoosh on
  • karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hi there everyone! Some of you may be aware that Team Fortress 2 recently gave away 100 Golden Wrenches. One of the lucky folks decided to organize a great charity effort where these ultra rare items are deleted so that people will donate to Child's Play. Great idea WingspanTT! Well, I'm trying to get a PAX arm of this running. We have a golden wrench owner willing to delete his Golden Wrench at the TF2 tournament at PAX.
    Can you guys raise at least $500 for Child's Play then come on over to the TF2 tournament and watch one of the most exclusive items in TF2 being eliminated? I've set up a chip in which goes directly to Child's Play, so let's get this rolling! I'm working with Ghrog on working this into the TF2 Tournament. So if you like TF2, Child's Play, or scones, please let us know!

PAX Golden Charity

Daniel Sato

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
This discussion has been closed.