As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spider-Man: [OMIT] Nothing - It's Big Time!!

cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgentPSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Graphic Violence
Brand New Day is coming to an end and that means it's Spidey's next big thing in Big Time. Regardless if you love that Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man or hate the Web-headed Menace, Spidey begins an all new bi-monthly format hopefully healing the wounds of past and your wallets at the same time. Headed by Dan Slott and art by Humberto Ramos, Marcos Martin, and Stefano Caselli comes the next saga for Spider-Man...
Dan Slott:
"Do you want to see Peter Parker get a job?" -- he's going to get a career. He's finally going to live up to the potential of who Peter Parker should be... If he doesn't give the world everything Peter Parker can, that's being irresponsible."

Big Time will move from 22 pages to 30, either of story or backup such as Spider-Girl featured in ASM #648 and continuing in her own title from Paul Tobin and illustrated by Henry Clayton.

1285612594.jpg

amazing-spiderman-648.jpg

1285612677.jpg

1285612729.jpg

There will be several mini-series such as the five-parter "Carnage", from Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain and "Osborn" by Kelly-Sue Deconnick and artist Emma Rios.

cardboard delusions on

• MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be picking up Big Time as I loved alot of BND. And there are so many good artists I can try and look past some of Slott's quirks

But I really do think ASM should have been given to Zeb Wells. Which is also why I'm torn on Carnage.

MastaP on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    But I really do think ASM should have been given to Zeb Wells. Which is also why I'm torn on Carnage.

Did you read Wells' fill-in issues on Peter Parker: SM back in 2004ish? Those were some good issues, the Mahfood Sandman stuff and the Boomerang story about people placing bets on superheroes beating up villains.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Did you read Wells' fill-in issues on Peter Parker: SM back in 2004ish? Those were some good issues, the Mahfood Sandman stuff and the Boomerang story about people placing bets on superheroes beating up villains.

I have that whole run around here SOMEWHERE, I got a discount on the whole thing and got it for the Cooke issues. I'll have to did those up.

MastaP on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That Bucky Cap in the second image has...issues.

Linespider5 on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm not Humberto Ramos's biggest fan

Antimatter on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like Ramos on Spidey. He captures his movements really well.

Kyougu on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OP is missing information like the rotating art teams and stuff on Osborn and Spider-Girl

If you want I can do a write up and you can edit it in!

Furu on
    edited September 2010
    Furu you were supposed to make a Spider-Man thread weeks ago.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2010
    Is Osborn an ongoing or a oneshot? Because I'll be honest, I'm dreading that even more than Carnage.

MastaP on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are they keeping the rotating artist thing? I thought that was scrapped with the weekly release schedule. And I've always loved Ramos, although for a long while i confused him with Bachalo. Kyougu hit the nail on the head, he just draws the frenetic spider-man pace so well.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Gank wrote: »
    Are they keeping the rotating artist thing? I thought that was scrapped with the weekly release schedule. And I've always loved Ramos, although for a long while i confused him with Bachalo. Kyougu hit the nail on the head, he just draws the frenetic spider-man pace so well.

They're keeping rotating artists. The difference is that Slott is the only writer.

And yeah, I've confused Ramos and Bachelo alot in the past as well.

MastaP on
    edited September 2010
    Furu you were supposed to make a Spider-Man thread weeks ago.

I KNOW I KNOW GET OFF MY BACK MOM
    Is Osborn an ongoing or a oneshot? Because I'll be honest, I'm dreading that even more than Carnage.

mini-series, and I don't see why you should be dreading it

Furu on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    can't wait for the next carnage story after the mini

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Sorry TLB, Carnage is the third worst Marvel Villain.

And Furu: It's because I think Osborn is the fourth. Petty reason to shortchange creators like that, I know, and if it's good, then it's good and I'll give it a shot.

MastaP on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Furu wrote: »
    OP is missing information like the rotating art teams and stuff on Osborn and Spider-Girl

If you want I can do a write up and you can edit it in!

I'll edit in everything you want, I was just waiting for this to be made.

cardboard delusions on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I might be interested in ASM by November when the new direction starts but I doubt I'll get the single issues, just trades.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The whole, "... even if it isn't Peter behind the mask," thing isn't very compelling.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The whole, "... even if it isn't Peter behind the mask," thing isn't very compelling.

ololol ben reilly.

Gaddez on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, it doesn't make you go "wow I wonder who it is," it more makes you go "whatever."

Solar on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At least whoever it is won't be hurled into the sun... unless it's Carnage, but even he gets to come back.

cardboard delusions on
    edited September 2010
    Hurling people into the sun is fun. Just as much fun as tearing motherfuckers in half.

Solar on
    edited September 2010
    We both know Sentry will be back, I just hope he doesn't get One More Day.

cardboard delusions on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He'll come back and drive a rift between Gambit and Rogue

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I forget who mentioned it in an article, but they were saying some of the characters you could place as 'Friends'. The girl in the first picture under Spidey's crotch looks like Monica (I'm guessing that's Betty Brant).

cardboard delusions on
    edited September 2010
    Oh no, David Schwimmer is the new Spider-Man.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2010
    MastaP

you have pretty bad opinions

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Peter isn't getting replaced. no one has said that. That line shouldn't even be in the OP so people can stop complaining about a thing that isn't happening

Anyway, a 90's spider-man villain everyone forgot about gets a redesign in Carnage #1!
    carnage_1_preview2.jpg

Furu on
    edited September 2010
    I never forgot about Doppelganger

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, Doppelganger's alright. I also liked the idea of a warped Spider-Man whose costume had merged into his flesh, and it looks like they're pushing the character further in that direction.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited September 2010
    I remember his webbing was like barbed wire, I always thought that was a nice touch. Crawling in your skin, these wounds they will not heal, all that jazz.

TexiKen on
    edited September 2010
    Peter isn't getting replaced. no one has said that. That line shouldn't even be in the OP so people can stop complaining about a thing that isn't happening

Anyway, a 90's spider-man villain everyone forgot about gets a redesign in Carnage #1!
    carnage_1_preview2.jpg

I think I can figure out what comics Zeb Wells read as a teenager. This has got me a wee bit more excited for the mini because it seems this is what he really wants to write.

MastaP on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do you mean the betting story,
    where Rocket racer shows up in part 3 with the nipple suit?
    if so, that's been one of my favorite spidey mini arc's in a long time, that 3 issue arc was filled with solid gold.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited September 2010
    Rules of the Game? Yeah, it really made me wish Wells was writing a Spider-book full time back then. Jenkins had a good run on PP:SM, but around that Green Goblin arc with Ramos it fell apart, and his Spectacular run wasn't very good. Very decompressed, and Peter and MJ's neighbors were all annoying.

I'm glad Wells is finally getting his due now with more big name books, I used to think he would be Joe Kelly 2.0.

TexiKen on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    petercalvin2.jpg

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

carnage_1_preview2.jpg

Maybe the only good thing to come out of Infinity War.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Haha, that calvin and hobbes thing is awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited October 2010
    Panel 2. Stay classy Pete.

Solar on
    edited October 2010
    Preview of #648 up:

I can't tell if that's a new villain or not, kind of reminds me of Steel Spidey. (Does anyone remember the premise of him or was that just some costume in a video game?)

prv6648_pg4.jpg
    prv6648_pg4.jpg
    prv6648_pg6.jpg

cardboard delusions on
    edited October 2010
    I like Ramos' art there.

I thought all the Avengers know his identity though?

TexiKen on
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure they do, at least according to NA when Jessica was telling Peter how she used to have a crush on him. I just think that he doesn't want random people in the streets of NYC knowing.

edit: I re-read that from Cap, it may just be an error - who knows who knows anymore right?

cardboard delusions on