Options

Video Game Industry Thread: done for September, use the next thread

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
Hi! Welcome to the sales thread. Here we talk about how games have sold, marketing, PR comments, analysis of analysts and all kinds of other business-related stuff. Occasionally we make poop jokes.

Here's a summary of what you missed since last time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMSHvgaUWc8

And now, September's info. Yes, game sales are combined across systems now. Yes, we aren't getting concrete console sales now. Yes, it sucks.
The Top 10 sellers (in order, publisher and platform in parentheses):

Halo: Reach (Microsoft, Xbox 360) - 3.3 Million
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP)
Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
NHL 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3)
FIFA Soccer 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix, PSP)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision Blizzard, PS3, 360, NDS, Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Nintendo, Wii)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

Xbox 360: 483,989 Units (up 37% YoY)
Everything Else: Down YoY

"Hardware unit sales, with the exception of the Xbox 360, are down versus last September, but a couple other platforms, specifically the PS3 and the PSP are up on an average sales per week basis as compared to last month (August 2010)"

"Total sales of hardware and software, including PC games, were down 8% from Sept. 2009. Overall sales hit $1.22 billion, compared to $1.32 billion last September."

"Hardware sales of $383 million were down 19%, compared to Sept. 2009 ($427 million)."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    1032944192_xu2RP-L.jpg

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm calling it - Sony announces the PSP2. That's my prediction.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I bet it's some kind of "A cellphone that is optimized for the videogaming but it's not like the N-Gage honest".

But announcing a new gaming platform on some naff MTV show is so goddamn lame I can imagine Sony announcing the PSP 2.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That or its the Pippin 360.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Sony is just retarded enough to do it!

Couscous on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm thinking the RB3 Squire will get priced.

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    MEGATON!
    http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2010/10/4-4
    Ok, well this is a pretty vague news article, but it'll have to do for now.

We have just received word that a major consumer electronics company will be revealing/teasing something gaming related later today (yeah yeah, an announcement of an announcement). The company and product can't be revealed until later, though both will likely be a bit of a surprise.

The tease will apparently happen later tonight on the MTV show Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory that will air tonight at 9:30PM ET/6:30PM PT. Not the typical place you would see a videogame announcement, but that's where it will be happening.

And that's all we can say for now.

Google's going to come out with their version of Games for Windows Live. First supported game: Farmville.

That or PSP2.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    I bet it's some kind of "A cellphone that is optimized for the videogaming but it's not like the N-Gage honest".

But announcing a new gaming platform on some naff MTV show is so goddamn lame I can imagine Sony announcing the PSP 2.

Which is exactly why I'm predicting that :P

Or maybe - Sony & Apple announce an iPhone addon device for the PS3, only to have Sony go behind Apple's back and sign a deal with Nokia instead! Then Apple can use what they developed to release a new Apple console that crushes the PS4 next console gen, while the "S-Gage" is a complete failure.

(is this analogy obvious enough for everyone?)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Gizmondo 2: Please pay my court bills
    N-Gage 2: Please don't laugh
    Zune 2: Please sync this with all of our other stuff and use it for the facebooking and taking videos of yourself doing madd sk8board trixx like in this promo reel

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Or maybe they'll call it the HD-i.

Gotta take advantage of that brand recognition.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WiiHD!

inb4pachterlol!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This is madness (and me marking the thread so I don't lose it)

Jintor on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Activision has finally made some deal with an electronics company to put out a machine that will be your new exclusive way to play all Activision/Blizzard games. $4.95 per minute.

Ceno on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe it's a Microsoft thing to tout the gaming abilities of the new Windows 7 phones coming out shortly?

I have no idea. But announcing anything on MTV seems pretty poorly thought out.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    http://blog.onlive.com/2010/10/04/onlive-just-play-for-free/

OnLive no longer having monthly fees.

They even openly say they don't mind people demoing a game via OnLive before buying an actual copy for their PC or console afterwards.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Maybe it's a Microsoft thing to tout the gaming abilities of the new Windows 7 phones coming out shortly?

I have no idea. But announcing anything on MTV seems pretty poorly thought out.

My thought is, if it were Microsoft, they'd at least pick a show that people actually watch.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's almost midnight here, so I'll be sleeping though the underwhelming/megatonning.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No way in hell would Apple release something on MTV. They don't roll that way.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I get the impression Steve Jobs likes his big fancy press conferences.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Maybe MTV is making their own video game console.

Unfortunately, since it's MTV, the device won't have any media playback capabilities (i.e. music).

Once you open the box, the console immediately produces a bottle of self-tanner and fails to obtain a GED.

Nickle on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »

These two ideas are not mutually exclusive

Sony has been trying to rip into the iPhone pretty hard recently, and it wouldn't really surprise me to see them try to take that on instead of the 3DS

It would still be a monumentally terrible idea, but at this point I honestly don't see what Sony could possibly do in order to stay relevant in the handheld market. Possibly provide a really solid handheld and undercut Nintendo's price by a significant margin, but that seems like the least likely of all possible outcomes, crazily enough.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Their PR department pretty much consists of the guy who puts together press conferences and the guy who gives Walt Mossberg the latest version of the iPhone early.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Nickle wrote: »
    Maybe MTV is making their own video game console.

Unfortunately, since it's MTV, the device won't have any media playback capabilities (i.e. music).

Once you open the box, the console immediately produces a bottle of self-tanner and fails to obtain a GED.

And the games would all be based on reality shows

Edit:
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Their PR department pretty much consists of the guy who puts together press conferences and the guy who gives Walt Mossberg the latest version of the iPhone early.

Also if it was Apple some guy would have accidentally left the prototype at a bar or something to leak it first...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

That would be cool. Doubt it though.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Come to think of it, if it's MTV it may very well be Rock Band related. Since they technically make the game and all that.

Then again there have been dumber vidja game things on MTV. Remember when Ulala from Space Channel 5 presented one of the music video awards?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Come to think of it, if it's MTV it may very well be Rock Band related. Since they technically make the game and all that.

Does Harmonix count as a "major consumer electronics company"?

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I'm not even expecting anything from this.

And that would still be disappointing.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MTV to release an "I love the 80s" video game console.

Basically an NES with a Justin Beiber sticker.

Projected sales: $Justin Beiber is so cute!

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

"I Love the 80s" is VH1, and also Justin Beiber is not 80s, because the 80s are awesome and he is not :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Justin Bieber is actually a middle aged paedophile.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Play Call of Duty exclusively on Activision's first video game console! Just insert your credit card directly into the slot at the base of the machine to unlock extra levels and weapons and to extend your play time!

And it will have motion controls, naturally.

(Would anyone be surprised?)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2010

"I Love the 80s" is VH1, and also Justin Beiber is not 80s, because the 80s are awesome and he is not :P

They're both the same company though?

Don't you take my dreams away.

e: Maybe I'm thinking to small. Perhaps it will be a new console, a Beiber Entertainment System.

Nickle on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    corin7 wrote: »
    Heleor wrote: »

That would be cool. Doubt it though.

God forbid MTV makes an announcement related to music, right? :P

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    While we're waiting to be disappointed, here's an interesting move by Best Buy.
    The outlook for movies and music dimmed Tuesday when consumer electronics retailer Best Buy (BBY) said it will cut back on shelf space for DVDs and CDs this holiday season.

The entertainment software market has been in decline for years, and so has the space Best Buy has allocated for compact discs and digital video discs. The space for CDs and DVDs is going to get even smaller this fall.

“We’ll have another store reset before the holidays, which will include an increase in the space for higher-growth and, in the aggregate, higher-margin categories, like Best Buy Mobile, e-readers and gaming, with a heavy emphasis on new gaming platforms and pre-owned game titles,” Best Buy Chief Executive Brian Dunn said in a conference call with analysts Tuesday. “This will be enabled by our reorganization of the DVD and CD sections. The CD section in particular will shrink in space allotment.”

Best Buy plans to create a space in the center of its stores to demonstrate two new motion-controlled video game systems – Microsoft’s (MSFT) Kinect for the Xbox 360 and Sony’s (SNE) Move for the PlayStation 3. It will find the space for this by reducing the CD and DVD sections, says Mike Vitelli, president of Best Buy’s Americas unit.

Best Buy also will add in-store areas for people to try out e-readers like Amazon.com’s (AMZN) Kindle and media tablets like Apple’s (AAPL) iPad.

With sales of packaged media on the wane and other products like TVs taking up less space, Best Buy has room to add the new showcase sections. The traditional Best Buy store has 50,000 square feet of retail space.

“Just about everything in the store has gotten smaller with the exception of appliances,” said Greg Melich, an analyst with ISI Group. “The stores are too big now. They’ve tested fitness equipment; they’ve tried selling musical instruments. It makes a lot of sense for Best Buy to expand its video games section.”

That includes selling used video games as well as the latest motion-based systems.

And with Kinect especially, the stores will need a lot of space.

“It’s full body (interactivity) so you’ll have a lot of arms and legs going all over,” said Peter Keith, an analyst with JMP Securities.

http://blogs.investors.com/click/index.php/home/60-tech/1993-best-buy-slashing-cd-dvd-shelf-space-for-new-products

Sounds like they're really getting aggressive against Gamestop. Also, they'll be better served by a Kinect demo station than six feet of CDs? Wow.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CDs, maybe. But removing the DVD/Blu-Ray racks?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Onlive has become more viable.
    http://blog.onlive.com/2010/10/04/onlive-just-play-for-free/
    It’s official: There will be no base monthly fee for the OnLive Game Service going forward. WOOT!

Free Instant-play Demos, Free Massive Spectating, Free Brag Clip™ videos, messaging, friending.

No credit card needed, unless you decide to buy a 3-day, 5-day or Full PlayPass. And ongoing access with no monthly fee. Of course, we’ve had a promotion waiving the monthly fee for the first year, so this announcement is confirming what we had hoped—that we can continue without a monthly fee beyond the first year. Although we wish we could have confirmed no monthly fee from the get-go, pioneering a major new video game paradigm is hard: we had to first grow to a large base of regular users before we could understand usage patterns and operating costs. Now that we’ve reached that stage, we can confidently say a monthly fee is not needed, which deserves a double WOOT! WOOT!

We’re excited because this opens the door for the OnLive Game Service to be used by everyone whenever they feel like it, whether for playing a full game on OnLive, or for just instantly playing a demo before buying a game for a console or a PC. Or, even for people just wanting to spectate games in the Arena or friend other gamers. Whatever interests you in gaming, OnLive provides it instantly, without complexity or hassle.

And…stay tuned for some exciting announcements coming this holiday season:

* MicroConsole™ TV Adapters and OnLive Game Pad Controllers in manufacturing now: Founding Members get first dibs.
    * Just Cause 2 contest going on now. Follow @OnLiveCommunity for more contest news.
    * More international announcements coming. Check out recent ones: www.onlive.be and www.onlive.lu.
    * Improved video quality and lower latency.
    So now how do they expect to make money? The streaming is going to be much more costly than Steam's bandwidth costs or whatever.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Kinect still just seems like an obvious trainwreck waiting to happen to me, and yet the industry still seems more or less all on board with it, it's confusing.

But maybe I'm underestimating how much free space other people have for that sort of thing.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CDs, maybe. But removing the DVD/Blu-Ray racks?

Who needs them anymore with services like Netflix?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The fact that he specifically singled out the CD space as "shrinking" it could be that the DVDs really will be "reorganized" somehow rather than shrunk measurably.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I always thought BB's market was big appliances and so on. Their music and DVD collection has always paled in comparison to the rest of the store.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.