As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recruiting [nWod - Changeling] "That Strange Little Town"

TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Critical Failures
Brattleboro, Vermont!

That strange little town that elected to arrest George Bush if he ever crossed their borders. Rolling evergreen hills. Endless new england trees. An effervescent scent of hippies. Quite a remarkable selection of colleges for the 20,000 or so population town. And plenty of Old Stories. Rumor has it H.P. Lovecraft based a number of his short tales in this fitfully sleeping little burg. You'd swear Steven King grew up here, you've seen its like in so many movies. The asylum, our Brattleboro Retreat, two blocks from the downtown touristing strip has drawn a little attention. And the free standing stone fort right off the Connecticut river. Well known stories, some, others, a little less public. Like the glittering throng of light that dances at the just-up-in-the-hill's college's auditorium once ever month, only rumored by those who keep hitting the mushrooms a little too hard, man. And you cant, upon pain of death, forget your Maple Syrup.

But its quiet, right? Other than the occasional blip on the Oddball page of digg the crime rate is wicked mellow. Could be all the stoners. Could be something keeping it quiet. Theres been a lot of rumors lately.... But you wouldnt know about all that.

You're in Hell under mindlessly torturous backbreaking work. Or Heaven making impossibly beautiful things for ancient lords and ladies. Locked on the mantle-piece in purgatory. Or on the rack just because something likes the sound of your screams. But now, you're running from the flower-wreathed wolves, tearing your way through The Thorns, on your way back to reality.

Others like you are waiting. Many, many others. A freehold a hundred strong, as mighty as any major metropolitan city, holds reign in this city. Meeting in the Retreat, over the galleries, behind the hills, off in the new-agey spas, the Four Courts each have a strong presence, roughly evenly divided, with a faint tint twoards the Autumn court. Just because a few of their members have started hiding behind padded walls doesn't mean they dont get a vote. The Winter court has been quiet lately, too, tending to something in their half explained, new-age monastic recovery spa, built over the lake just north of town. A few political rumblings have been spilling over, dealing with new pathways in the Hedge, lower than ever have been discovered, giving Summer an interesting new diversion, mapping and digging through the Thorn's latest permutation, glowing mushrooms wreathed in spikes.

And so, with Winter just beginning, the dance spins up anew. Politics, strange sightings rumored and visions from the mad backing them up, a new layer, running lower under the Hedge starting to rumble open, all with the never-spoken question surrounding the impossibly overpopulated Freehold.

And thats all you get for now, folks. We're doing the "spat out of the hedge" beginning, with a few of the people already expressing interest being completly new to Changeling, so no better way than to have the players as confused and lost as the Lost themselves! I'm a newbie ST, and an old hand at playing in person, so whoever can gather the guts gets to be my guinea pig.

Entry-level Changeling characters only, core-book traits as starters, basic stats, with encouraged flaws, no further restrictions than that. The standard spend Clarity to get extra character-creation points to throw around, or vice versa of course.

As mentioned, here IS a Freehold, about a hundred strong, in the scrappy, but sleepy, little town of Brattleboro. The political scene exists and dances, as does the question of what that was in the night, to say nothing of Fetches or the Hedge. Its a remarkably busy, disproportionately large for its mortal-population, you say? Why yes, it is.

As for the dice, I've discovered http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiDiceRoller and it is good. Char-sheets go in spoilers, keep it simple. I dont happen to know remote hostings off the top of my head atm, but I'm sure somebody'll learn me right quick. So whos up for something shiny in the hills?

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
Teyar on

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Awesome. I really want to play this because I was raised and live in Vermont, and it's usually a little state nobody cares about. I will have to read up on changeling rules.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Allright, we do have at least one player so far. Cheese is in and most of the way through char-generation. I use AIMs or Gmail-chat for communication, TrueRaijin at the gmail.com, or CoyoteJim85 on AIM.

Teyar on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ooh, I can use a Sin-Eater? :D

In all seriousness, I'll try to stick with Changeling, and see what comes up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, myth-weavers is a pretty good char-sheet website.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://sheetgen.dalines.net

This one's NWoD specific.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hah! As much as I LOVE Sin Eaters, no, I dont think you can really play one unless you've got something infinitely awesome and Changeling related. No, that does NOT mean show me your 747 throwing SE.

But hey, seriously, glad to have another on board. I'mma be on AIM in a little bit, the addy in your profile is still good, CJ?

Teyar on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As much as I'd like to try out this game, I have read absolutely zero of the Changeling source material! Will be watching with interest, though.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yep. Coincidentally, I was using a backwater town motif for my Changeling chronicle, I just never quite had the spark for it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As a resident of Brattleboro, VT, the Lovecraft town, lemme tell you...There's materiel here.

Teyar on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will join in as well if my terrible, blinding headache will let me get some inspiration.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    THE PAIN. IT IS A GOOD PAIN. IT INSPIRES.

Teyar on
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will definitely be keeping my eye on this.

If I get some inspiration I will toss up a character.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh maaan. Changeling. All those books sitting there on my shelf, tempting me. I'll see if I get inspired! I'm in the mood for something a bit darker than I've been doing lately.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Working on a concept, somewhat new to a Changeling build though. I may have something within a couple hours.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Let me know what the quesitons and things are, I'm actually dangerously close to putting together a more engaging setting / theme post.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Melissa Bryce, Wizened Prophet
    I've always seen things; usually things people don't want others seeing. Usually things people aren't meant to see.

I think one day I saw too much. A glimpse of shadow in the dark, a flicker of a visage horrifying beyond the wildest vision or nightmare.

I wish it had ended there. It only began.

I only half remember what came next. I've forced myself to scatter the fragments of those memories into dust. Occasionally they come back, in form of echoed screams and unanswered, agonized cries; from many, many others. It's only through great resolve that I don't break at the mere recollection.

Oh, the departure? I remember that vividly. The path came to me in a vision.

An hour and a place when the gates were unwatched, the road cleared of obstacles and that demon's sentries.
    It was then that, very simply, I departed back to the world I left.

I've heard it said that many come back to find their world changed.
    Their former lives ruined, their surroundings alien and foreign, no chance of returning to the lives they once knew.

I wish I'd been that lucky. Nothing had changed.

Same lifeless town, same dreary existence.

It was like I'd never left.

The locals still avoid me like they used to. Just now, they do so in public as well; strangers and neighbors alike. That's fine, I have no need of their company.

I remember that creature's face vividly. I know she'll be back for what she believes to be hers.

I wait, and prepare, armed with that which she can not possess.

A young woman from the outskirts of town, orphaned(or abandoned, some claim) not long after birth. When she came of age, she accomplished little of note. The girl became an effective recluse, tending to a sparse residence barely funded by odd jobs and the occasional exhibition of her penchant for the occult. Tarot cards, fortune telling, sometimes meager sales from books on local myths and folklore.

She maintained a quiet, unassuming existence.

Since returning from the Hedge, she goes by Melissa. Few recall what she was known before her disappearance, even fewer care. Arcadia took up months if not years of her life.

Barely a day had passed in her wake.

Melissa resumed her previous role without delay, though instead of unfocused studies, she now has a purpose: learning the way back, to bring ruin to those who would see her works put to perverse ends.

She sometimes dabbles in the efforts of the Winter Court, as their goals suit her well; they don't bother her, she seldom has need of them.

Melissa's Seeming has drawn even further on the darkness that she's resided in her whole life. Whereas before she had a plain, unassuming look, her Seeming lends her a downright gothic countenance.

Her skin is blanched white, streaks of black passing over her skin in spiraling lines where visible, a colorless appearance broken only by pupils of dark, bloody red, black lips forming a deathly smile that never seems to entirely go away.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Approved! And since I know you're one of the more experienced at this system, CJ, it makes sense for you to run a character already locally established.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm actually not that experienced with Changeling, so I'm on an equal playfield here. :P I do happen to own the sourcebook, that's about it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll put together my character this afternoon, probably go with an Elemental (Airtouched).

I've got the Autumn, Winter, and Spring books too, but I'll just stick to stuff out of the main book for now.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It is worth noting that Cheese is settled on a Flameheart sort of big brute of a guy, Palington. I'm not recomending party balance, I'm fine with a weighted group, this IS changeling, not DnD after all, but I figure its worth mentioning.

Teyar on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No problem. I'm not planning on much of a big brute type, but I appreciate the heads up. I've got a few other ideas if we start getting too many elementals though.

---

Eric Tyler, Airtouched Elemental
    It had all started out innocently enough. Trace had wanted everyone to go out on one last adventure before we walked the stage and picked up our diplomas. He said he'd heard of some boulder problems we needed to check out. Now, I'm not usually a climber, but I'll take any excuse to get outdoors and get the ground under my feet.

So we packed the van and took off from East Lansing, MSU in our rear view. While we were on the road, I drifted off to sleep in the backseat.

Next thing I know, I'm in some ... thing's ... clutches, forced to run faster and faster, never stopping.

I don't remember much, but I do remember one morning the guards weren't there. I found a different path and ran, never looking back, not even once.

____

Eric was just another kid at Michigan state, keeping up his athletics scholarship to get through his degree. A few years ago before graduation, he was involved in a car accident. There were no fatalities, but Eric never made it home. Or at least, the real Eric Tyler never made it home.

I'm assuming 'spat out of the hedge' means we'll be picking up right around the time we escape. If not, I'll drop a few more lines of background.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Work for me, LP. I do request a bit more physical description, whats his wierdness influence, how "off" is he, psychosis issues, so on. These changelings all sound too human and sane so far! Bonus starter XP for more "odd" characters, awarded upon description. :D

Cheese, how comes your firefighting fireman?

Any one else wanting to get in? Its sounding like we're getting perilously close to having something playable soon.

And as a last note for today, I'm punching in to work in a minute or two and will be off the forums untill tomroow, but its hotel work, so I can keep communicating through my e-mail and G-mail chat, TrueRaijin@Gmail.com

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Extended Description

Mortal Mien
    Eric is a tall, lanky man in his mid-twenties. He has an athletic build, often wearing clothing that is easy to run in. His gaze never seems to stay in one place, always checking the exits. There are dark circles under his eyes, like he never gets quite enough sleep.

His eyes are a very pale blue, almost white. He never seems to look directly at a person when talking to them, and there always seems to be a distance he puts between himself and others.

Fae Seeming
    Gone are the human eyes, in their place is a reflection of the sky above. His close cropped white hair and clothing are constantly ruffled by an unfelt breeze. His entire body seems sculpted to an aerodynamic edge, all angles. His limbs are just a little too long, and his voice always seems like it's being carried away on the wind.

Other information
    From what little Eric remembers of his time with his keeper, he was running either along a path or something similar. He gets a sense his running was delivering power in some way to something, as more and more lightning wisps would appear the longer he ran. As such, areas with a ton of obvious electricity (Time Square, Las Vegas, a room with a ton of power cords plugged in everywhere) make him nervous, as do lightning storms.

Since he was kidnapped in his sleep, he doesn't sleep much anymore and never in a vehicle. If he isn't in a bed with the door to the room closed, he really can't fall asleep. Either from this lack of sleep or his constant exposure to the electricity of the Hedge, he's incredibly forgetful. He tries to write down little notes to himself, but it's not a perfect system.

Before his capture, Eric was an extreme sports enthusiast. He was in track all through school, but he wouldn't hesitate to try out rock climbing, white water rafting, skydiving, pretty much anything that allowed him to go fast and challenge himself. Now he uses these skills to stay one step ahead of his Keeper and his or her minions...

Three Questions:
    1. Eric wasn't a resident of the strange little town, he's a new guy. He grew up in Michigan.

2. Yep, straight out of the hedge.

3. He remembers about what's up above. Once he's up and about from the Hedge, he'll go by Swift.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Allright, so, LP and CJ are set up and ready to roll. I'm not sure of the status on Cheese. And I'm running through creation process with Moose in PMs and a friend outside the forums. (Ritter, register and post what you've got already you reclusive bastard!)

Anyone else looking to join up, or is it looking like this five?

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanksgiving has been busy. Will get my finished sheet up tonight or tomorrow.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    emsems Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    Hello~
    I am ems. I am new to this sort of game, but I'm looking forward to joining if Teyar / my schedule permits. :)

ems on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Daren Albright

Sheet
    Contracts completed.

Background:
    Daren was a careless firefighter, who charged recklessly into fires and always made it out by the skin of his teeth. Until the last time. Smoldering apartment building, roof collapsed right on top of him, slamming him down and keeping him there as the fire roared. With his last breath, he called out for help, not knowing how foolish that plea would turn out to be.

A fiery prince saved him, became his keeper, only to bring him to a raging hell. Daily, the prince would burn up his subjects in an inferno, turning his victims to ash, only to reform them again for more torture. The prince's home resembled the religious Hell, tortuously hot, fires raging everywhere, the prince himself taking an appearance similar to the devil.

One day, after countless torments, the prince reformed his subjects during the night and suddenly left, having to deal with something that had come up. Seeing his chance, Daren fled, ripping through the Hedge, running with all of his strength and more, anything to get out of that terrible hell.

Now he's somewhere he's never been before, some small town, but it doesn't matter. No point trying to go back to the life he had before. He goes by Red. He remembers everything.

Description:
    Tall and muscular, wearing fiery red clothing, short brown hair, tan skin, and a fiery glint in his eye, like he's always looking at a fire and it's reflecting off his eyes.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, theres our combat machine character. *Chuckles* Allright. A bit of review and I come to learn not everyone automatically houseruled this in - you've got access to all the Fleeting / Eternal contracts without bothering for court specificity. So thats three characters just about ready to go. Got to finalize with Ritter, I think Moose is having a busy thanksgiving weekend, and we can probably be up and running shortly!

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Busy busy busy. But I should have my character up and running today!

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Since we're coming up on holiday time, I'd make sure that Teyar has your e-mail address (all players, anyway). The PA forums like to do a big holiday vacation for the boards where everything gets shut down but one holiday spirit forum. If Teyar's got everyone's e-mail, we can still get some playing done during that time.

Looks like everyone's characters are coming along pretty nicely!

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Alexander Duncan
    Fairest, Dragonic.

http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/8198

Human Life
    Alexander always knew he was going to get out of this town somehow. He had always felt like it was holding him back. His dream was to go to a college somewhere in the big city instead of being stuck in the quiet little hellhole he grew up in. Alexander had everything going for him. He was smart, had great grades, and wasn't bad looking either. He generally kept his dark blonde hair tied back in a ponytail to keep it out of his blue eyes. He was tall, but not too tall. Skinny, but not overly thin. Alexander was going places.

When he got out of high school, he was easily accepted into Boston University. However, when he got there he met his greatest opponent. Himself. Alexander was never exactly focused. High school was easy because he was pointed in a direction and told what to do. In the freedom of college, he crumbled. He took many pointless classes, unable to pick a solid major. His classes ranged from Programming, History, Art, and even a semester of fencing. Then, even his grades started to suffer when he discovered drinking and partying.

After 2 years of floundering Alexander decided to take a semester off, further delaying his choice of a major and a direction in his life. Deciding he needed time to think, he headed back towards the sleepy town he grew up in...

Being Taken
    Police found Alexander's car in a ditch nearly 10 miles outside of town. The heat of the fire had melted the car into slag, and no identification was possible from the ruined wreck. Since no body, or even a trace of one, was found in the car the police ruled it as a strange accident and moved on. The story for Alexander was quite different. He does not remember being taken. The last thing he remembers in the human world was two large golden eyes appearing like headlights in the darkness. After that, his memories are quite broken and dreamlike. He remembers a feeling of power and greatness. A feeling of pride unbound and the pure unspoiled knowledge that he was simply better than all those around him. Rushing winds, burning flames, and pure freedom. But most of all, he remembers those two burning yellow eyes watching him, making him feel tiny and insignificant like cub standing in front of roaring leader of a lion's pride.

The Return
    Alexander remembers running. The sound of crashing echoes behind him as something huge tears through the hedge. With a final push he exploded out of a closet door into the charred remains of a burned building. His clothes were those he was wearing when he was taken, but the edges were torn and burned as if by some great heat and each gulping breath of air sent a plume of steam from his lungs.

Alexander had returned, still destined for greatness.

Description
    Alexander now stands nearly six feet tall and has what some would call a runners build. His dirty blond hair has darkened somewhat and has grown past his shoulders, but is kept under control in a tight pony tail. Once sky blue eyes have turned to a sharper metallic blue that flicker with a deep intellect. He keeps his angular face well groomed without any facial hair and frequently smiles a grin that seems a tad too wide with one or two too many canine teeth. At all times he attempts to remain well dressed, wanting to separate himself from the "Hippie trash" that infest the town.

To those that can see his true form, Alexander appears as a magnificent vision. His eyes have turned completely metallic and lazily drift over those speaking to him as if wondering if they are worth his time. His mouth is full of far too many teeth each one pure white and dangerously sharp. Long fingers extend into well manicured claws that occasionally drift up to push a lock golden metallic hair behind an elegantly pointed ear or to move it away from one of the twin scarlet horns that have erupted from his forehead to slide back along his skull in an elegant curve. Scales appear on the back of his hands and in other patches. But most notably is the small wisps of smoke that drift up from his nostrils, turning into heated plumes when he is angry.

Edited: Switched him over from Spring Court to Autumn. I figure while he might have some friends in spring (goodwill later) fear and arcane power are more his thing. Plus we totally needed an autumn to round out the courts.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Works for me, Moose! I'm fascinated by the fact that we've got two runners taken during vehicular travel, though. How strange~

I actually know a specific building for that one, Moose... Little little sagging place out on Western Avenue...
    What? Yes, I did mention I actually live in the town in question, right? Almost sure I did. :D

Also, whats "Temper, Temper" specifically? It sounds like just a basic emotional state specialty, which... Is an interesting way to keep oneself operating at four dots of brawl if I'm guessing right.

Yeah, thats a good idea, Pal. I've got Cheese and CJ's contact info, I'll need everyone elses. Who hangs out on what service the most? I'm on Gmail more often than anything else, especially since I can be on it at work during those long overnight hotel shifts.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gmail or AIM would be easiest on my end.

And way to go Moose, you gave him some ideas.

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    emsems Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    You already know my Gmail and AIM, Teyar.

Still working on my character. Not sure if I'm doing it right or not, but *shrug*

ems on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Muahaha.

I figured Temper, Temper would be the equivalent of rousing the sleeping dragon. A fight is a fight, but when you piss him off Alexander fights that much harder. Especially if say, insults are involved.

I can be reached most of the time on AIM, but I currently do not have Gmail, but can easily snag it if that is the way we wanna go.

And what can I say, I am idea fodder.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hmm. So its not going to be "self inflicted", but if things are getting particularly mean and heated... Yeah, makes sense, I can handle that.

Also, the "Element" on his cloak? Which one is that? I'm gonna guess fire, of course.

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You know what? I think we're just about ready to actually start! I'll put the opening point up into an IC thread tomorow, folks!

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gah, it would be much easier if my pdf version of the book didn't take so goddamn long to load a single page. Making finding contracts difficult.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Foxit reader. Alternatively, just copy them down once.

Teyar on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I've got an idea. I'll see if I can get it up tomorrow.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]