As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum Badge design

kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge CreatorLondon UKRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Hello all,

This OP has been updated to reflect the current status of the forum badge. The final version looks like this:
PAX_East_2011_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_FINAL.jpg

The rear of the badge looks like this:
PAX_East_2011_PA_Forum_Badge_Back_FINAL.jpg

Note that the names on the back of the badge have now been compiled and are shown on the above image. A total of 264 names managed to get on the badge this year.

To get hold of a badge you need to be taking part in an Unofficial PrePAX East event (listed below)

Pre-PAX East Dinner
Pre PAX East Gaming Night
Cookie Brigade
Pre-PAX Bar Crawl
Pre PAX Lunchtime Fried Food Extravaganza
Mystery Magical Tour

Or go to the BYOC registration desk at PAX East from 12pm Friday 11th March to Sunday 13th March 4pm and collect one. Note that you will be asked at least one question to prove that you are from the forums. The questions along with their answers are as follows:
1) Name an unofficial PAX East community event:

* PAX East Train Alliance
* Pre-PAX East Dinner
* Pre PAX East Gaming Night
* Cookie Brigade
* Pre-PAX Bar Crawl
* Pre PAX Lunchtime Fried Food Extravaganza
* Mystery Magical Tour

2) Who made the Forum Badges and what is she/he full of?

Kropotkin [Pr: KRO-POT-KIN], who is full of Awesome and Win.

3) Do Gabe and Tycho read the PAX forums?

No

4) Name the primary forum admin

Moe Fwacky

5) What are exchanged by Forum members during PAX East?

Trading cards. 'Greetings' is also a valid answer, although a little trite :P

6) What colour are the forums in?

Blue background with white text.

7) Why do key forum threads have the word [East] as a prefix in their titles?

They are threads that relate to PAX East 2011 in Boston as opposed to PAX Prime in Seattle.

8) There is a group of PAX attendees that sell crunchy and sweet foodstuffs for the Childsplay charity during the event. What is this group called?

The Cookie (& Biscuit) Brigade

9) What ornament is imprinted on the rear of the PAX East 2011 Forum Badge?

A wax seal

10) According to the forums, it is a general rule that PAX East is most definately not, under any cirumstances a BLANK service. What is the 'blank'?

Dating

Note that all badges come with their own A6 sized plastic holder that is immune from violent attacks from ketchup spillages. They are also completely FREE.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    I'm a fan, although should the pax logo in the background be the pax east logo since this is for east?

zerzhul on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DOOOD! that looks sick. I <3 it!

you do an amazing job of this every year Kropotin. :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    kropotkin, thanks for taking on this task again. I loved the badge for prime, looking forward to this one too.

Do you think we need the website? Could it read:

Proud Member of the
    Official
    PAX Forums!

Although on the other hand, most of us read URLs as easily as we read English, so maybe it's not really an issue.

Also, is there any way to increase the size/legibility of the word "forums"? It'd be nice to make that as clear as possible so that non-forumers can easily figure out what this is all about.

MelesMeles on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    I'm tempted to suggest axing the text and expanding the logo to a larger size. At the very least, the logo should be more prominent against the text. So, if the text isn't axed, at least shrink it down.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2010
    maybe just the "PAX forums" needs to be shrunk. I'd personally like to see the text remain.

SmallLady on
    edited December 2010
    But the logo already says "PAX Community" inside it. I fail to see the need for text in conjunction with the logo.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2010
    Hmmm... I dunno.. I guess I'm just attached to the text. I like it there.

SmallLady on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    But the logo already says "PAX Community" inside it. I fail to see the need for text in conjunction with the logo.

I agree. It looks busy.

Keep the link but axe the text. By wearing one you're declaring you're a proud member already.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My opinion is to drop the "A proud member of the" text at the top. The new coat of arms is bad ass in a can. My opinion is that the coat conveys the same message as "A proud member of" only in a better way.

Then I would shrink the "PAX forums!" text by half. The "PAX forums" text no longer needs to scream now that you have the coat. I still think its relevant though to point out the forums.

A little love for #paforums_pax on irc.slashnet.org would be awesome sauce too, but that would just be icing on the cake, lol.

Keep up the good work. I'll be looking forward to the Prime variation of this next year.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nice job kropotkin! The badge looks great! As for the text, not really offended, but I'll defer to the will of the masses.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks amazing. However I agree with the others about axing the "A proud member of the" and making the coat of arms bigger. Or just having a link and a huge coat of arms.

Although it looks fantastic the way it is currently!

Rdr on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It seems that "PAX Community" is way too small compared to the size of the badges. I agree that "forums" should be left on the badge somewhere.

Heleor on
    edited December 2010
    With respect, Heleor, I strongly disagree. The logo as a whole stands on its own, I really don't see the need for the text at this point.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2010
    Ah, the reason I think there should be some text about the forums is because there's nothing about the logo that screams "PAX Forums." There's no way to tell at a glance what the logo is about, which isn't the case with the text.

Heleor on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I love it.

feitocomfruta on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm with Moe, the text and crest are competing.

The crest is excellent, but you won't be able to see the detail from 4ft away, Perhaps blow the crest up larger and simplify the text to the bare minimum. Maybe just "PAX Forum Member" at the bottom or top, but in a large font.

But is is a really nice design...I just don't want folks to miss the details because they're small.

macrogeek on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. It's heartening to know that the Forum Badges have become part of the PAXian experience. I do spend a lot of time and effort developing them with the aid of the forum community so this feedback is vital for its development.

Noting the comments on the clash between the crest and the lettering, I'm going to create a version 1.1. This will be a variation on what has been suggested above.

I'm still working on Version 2, which will be only a slight divergence from previous years badges. Version 3 is going to crazy land, but I just want to try out a new visual style on you all :)

Thanks again, I'm really taken aback by the swiftness and amount of response.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited December 2010
    kropotkin wrote: »
    First of all I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. It's heartening to know that the Forum Badges have become part of the PAXian experience. I do spend a lot of time and effort developing them with the aid of the forum community so this feedback is vital for its development.

Noting the comments on the clash between the crest and the lettering, I'm going to create a version 1.1. This will be a variation on what has been suggested above.

I'm still working on Version 2, which will be only a slight divergence from previous years badges. Version 3 is going to crazy land, but I just want to try out a new visual style on you all :)

Thanks again, I'm really taken aback by the swiftness and amount of response.

Crazy Land?!?!?

SmallLady on
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Very awesome, great work!

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
    edited December 2010
    I suppose it depends on what the goal of the badge is..

If it's just to identify ourselves to each other, then I think just the crest will be needed. As we all recognize the logo.

However, if our goal is to "advertise" our community to outside paxers, then I believe the text serves an important function of association.

SmallLady on
    edited December 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Ah, the reason I think there should be some text about the forums is because there's nothing about the logo that screams "PAX Forums." There's no way to tell at a glance what the logo is about, which isn't the case with the text.

I think the reason why we're rooting for the text to be gone (or at least the reason I am) is because you have to come to these forums to know where to find a badge to begin with. This is kind of a PAX Forums only thing. Most of us will have our handles on the back of the badge and we'll wear this thing with pride.

So since we now have an amazing forum crest which we all recognize as the PAX Forums crest there isn't really a need for the badge to scream PAX FORUMS since it already is visually.

The crest is super eye catching and I imagine people will want to stop the person wearing it and check out whats all going on with it..which is why we should leave the URL.

Rdr on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Rdr wrote: »

I think the reason why we're rooting for the text to be gone (or at least the reason I am) is because you have to come to these forums to know where to find a badge to begin with. This is kind of a PAX Forums only thing. Most of us will have our handles on the back of the badge and we'll wear this thing with pride.

So since we now have an amazing forum crest which we all recognize as the PAX Forums crest there isn't really a need for the badge to scream PAX FORUMS since it already is visually.

The crest is super eye catching and I imagine people will want to stop the person wearing it and check out whats all going on with it..which is why we should leave the URL.

I pretty much agree... the coat of arms/crest/sigil + URL is enough for me.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited December 2010
    In response to the messages above, I have now created versions 1.1 and 2 of the forum badge. Here they be:

Version 1.1

This has all text removed apart from the URL of the forums. It's very eye catching and will raise a few eyebrows as people see it flash by as they walk around PAX that's for sure.
    PAX_East_2011_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_version_1_1.jpg

Version 2.0

A much plainer badge that follows with tradition from previous years:
    PAX_East_2011_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_version_2.jpg

Let me know what you think. Remember; version 3 that is inspired some very crazy stuff is heading this way also, so do please bear that in mind before declaring the winning design.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really liking 1.1, much better than the first design imo.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I'm much more in favour of v2.0.

This is mainly because it's much more easily understood by non-forum members. I really don't want this to become an elitist thing where you only know what it means if you're an "insider". For me, that would really go against the whole ethos of PAX.

Plus, even at full size, the words "PAX Community" are still very very small in 1.1, and only readable if you're right up close.

Could we make the coat of arms be a full-size reverse to the badge? That way it still has a prominent role (and the badge looks awesome even when backwards), but at the same time it doesn't prevent non-forumers from understanding what this is about and being able to get included.

MelesMeles on
    edited December 2010
    I like the idea of putting the coat of arms on the back, but it will have to be opaque as the names of PAX East attendees from the forums on that side of the badge. I'm not willing to give up on that as it's a key part of the badge's design.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited December 2010
    Interested in version 3 but 1.1 is simply amazing!

Rdr on
    edited December 2010
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I like the idea of putting the coat of arms on the back, but it will have to be opaque as the names of PAX East attendees from the forums on that side of the badge. I'm not willing to give up on that as it's a key part of the badge's design.

Absolutely agreed. I think those two components are compatible though. I'm just keen to avoid this being an exclusive "members only" thing. I just don't think that's PAXy...

MelesMeles on
    edited December 2010
    I understand what you're saying Meles about it not being very PAXy.

But, I guess I was wrong in always thinking that the PAX Forums badge was sort of a members only thing.

Considering you have to belong to the forums but more specifically follow this specific forum. Then you have to make a reply in the thread to have your name on the back of it. And to get your badge you have to read the thread title of where to pick one up at. Before you can get one you need to participate in a quiz so that random attendees who don't follow the PAX forum and this thread get one.

Doesn't matter how you design it..its still a pretty rare item to have during PAX that garners a good bit of attention from random people.

Rdr on
    edited December 2010
    Is one of the points of the badge not to advertise the forums themselves? If so, it really shouldn't feel exclusive.

Heleor on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I really like the new badge (2.0)! It looks fantastic Kropotkin! Thanks again for doing these, I love them! =)

I like 1.0 as well, but for some reason there's something about the simpler 2.0 design that I like more.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited December 2010
    Is one of the points of the badge not to advertise the forums themselves? If so, it really shouldn't feel exclusive.

Yes, exactly my feeling. It might be hard to get one (mainly because you have to be on the forums to get it!), but it shouldn't be hard to understand what they are. We happen to have them because we're the ones on the forums, but I think they should serve as "Hey! Check out the forums! They're full of awesome people. Also twinkie." It shouldn't be mysterious or exclusive to those who see them.

Just my $0.03. Inflation, y'know?

MelesMeles on
    edited December 2010
    Well I warned you. The third design comes from the diseased part of my brain and therefore cannot accept full responsibilty for its creation. Click on the spoiler button to bear witness to the abomination:
    PAX_East_2011_PA_Forum_Badge_Front_version_3.jpg

Oh you may not want to be eating while viewing this one. Just sayin'

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited December 2010
    Ooooooooo

SmallLady on
    edited December 2010
    You are a troubled, troubled man.

MelesMeles on
    edited December 2010
    I like 1.1

It's pretty much exactly what I envisioned.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited December 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    You are a troubled, troubled man.

True, but you have to admit, it is kind of eye catching.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited December 2010
    By the way, it looks like the forum logo is being reopened for edits (see logo thread, I am too lazy and incompetent to make a link). Might be best to hold off on finalising badge design until that gets locked?

MelesMeles on
    edited December 2010
    I'm not really sure why that's happening.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    v1.1 is awesome.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]