As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] Out Now! Check OP For Guild Info.

SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
OP by Ellthiteren. Slight changes made by SimpsonsParadox

RIFTlogo.png

The PvP guild is The Six Mouths, Defiant, on Sunrest. If you want to join, sent a tell to Kiori, Wyla, or Jim.

The PvE guild is Knights of Arcadia, Defiant, on Faeblight. If you want to join, there's a chat channel (/join PennyArcade), or just whisper someone in the guild.

The EU PvE guild is Planary Arcadia, Defiant, on Argent. If you want to join, PM Klyka

Here is RIFT's official description:
Join legions of adventurers in RIFT™, a new fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in a world being torn apart.
Rifts violently rip into reality across the land and release powerful forces that threaten the very existence of Telara. Each breach brings with it new characters, events, and treasures, while the world itself changes dynamically around you.
Play with your friends across vast, lavishly detailed environments, or go head-to-head in challenging Player versus Player (PvP) combat as you battle to uncover the secrets of the planes. Build and advance your character using an innovative new class system with limitless possibilities.
The rifts have divided the people and endanger the world. Whether you fight to seal the rifts forever, or harness their power for your own, epic adventures lie ahead for those willing to fight for the future of Telara.

Here are some pretty pictures:
ss88-large.jpg
ss90-large.jpg
ss64-large.jpg
ss98-large.jpg
ss120-large.jpg

And here are some videos:
RIFT will feel very familiar if you've played MMOs in the style of WoW, WAR, LOTRO, and the like, but there are some standout features that have a bunch of us pretty excited.

Your Character:

RIFT has a very unique character creation and customization system. First, you choose your calling: Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, or Mage.

Your calling determines the Souls available to you. Each Calling has nine Souls, and each Soul has numerous different abilities. You can mix and match up to three Souls in each of your character builds. Each Soul has a talent tree (top ability requires 31 points, 51 points can be applied) through which abilities are unlocked. You max out at 66 points at level 50.

In addition, each character has up to four Roles, which are character builds that you can switch between at any time. For example, a Rogue could have a Melee DPS Role, a Ranged DPS Role, a Tank Role, and a Support Role. Same for the other Callings.

*** To really understand how all of this works, check out this character builder. ***

Warrior Souls:
Paladin - Melee tank focusing on blocking and countering.
Warlord - Tanking tree focusing on buffing up your raid group and debuffing your enemy.
Beastmaster - A melee DPS and pet tree.
Champion - Melee DPS, Burst, Two Hander
Paragon - Melee DPS, Sustained, Dual Wield
Reaver - Tank focusing on threat-through-magic instead of physical hits. Think "What if my Warlock was in plate and could tank".
Riftblade - Elemental DPS
Void Knight - Anti-Caster, Tank
Vindicator - The Warrior PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.
Rogue Souls:
Bladedancer - Melee DPS, Frontal - Charge in, smack the enemy in the face repeatedly. You also get some dodge/parry bonuses, reactive abilities, and a small amount of AoE.

Assassin - Melee DPS, Positional - Attack the enemy from stealth and backstab away from behind. Plus you get poisons.

Nightblade - Melee/Mid-Range DPS + Stealth - Attack the enemy from stealth, with the option of closing to melee range or staying a bit further out. The Nightblade abilities do elemental damage (fire and death) instead of physical damage, great for targets with lower elemental resistances / higher physical resistances.

Riftstalker - Tanking + Teleports - The Riftstalker is the rogue tanking soul. Unlike Warrior tanking souls, you are more focused on damage reduction than damage avoidance, through a large variety of self-buffs available to you. You also get a bunch of teleports that grant you even more buffs in combat. You ARE an effective tank.

Ranger - Ranged DPS + Pets - The Ranger gets a variety of pets as well as numerous ranged attacks.

Marksman - Ranged DPS + Kiting - The Marksman gets some really hard hitting ranged attacks (if you're standing still) as well as a bunch of abilities that make kiting a viable option.

Saboteur - Ranged DPS / AoE - The Saboteur is an interesting soul. You have a bunch of traps you can set and bombs you can throw, each with different effects. Your add charges to your target to build up combo points, and then detonate those charges for a big nuke plus all of the associated status effects. There are seven or so different charges: damage, damage over time, aoe damage, stun, slow, armor reduction, and damage increase (I think).

Bard - Support / Healing - You have a huge number of buffs - one for statistics (pick between str/dex, int/wis, or endurance), one for other stuff (pick between armor, magic resistance, movement speed, ability cost), plus up to six Motifs that must be refreshed every 30 seconds and provide a bunch of combat bonuses. Your combo point builder heals your group, and your finishers debuff, damage (single target or AoE), or heal, depending on which one you use.

Infiltrator - The Rogue PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.

Rogue abilities cost energy to use - you have a max of 100 energy, and it regenerates slowly during combat. You build up combo points and then use finishers, which do greater damage, have greater effects, or have greater durations with more combo points.
Cleric Souls:
Purifier - Single Target Healing / Shielding.
Sentinel - AoE Healing
Warden - Healing Over Time
Justicar - Cleric's tanking soul.
Inquisitor - Single Target Magical Ranged DPS
Druid - Melee DPS + Pet
Cabalist - AoE Magical DPS. Mixes well with Inquisitor.
Shaman - Melee DPS
Templar - The Cleric PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.
Mage Souls:
Archon - Debuff Enemy, Buff Self/Allies
Dominator - Crowd Control
Elementalist - Pets
Chloromancer - Healing (through doing damage)
Pyromancer - Single Target Nukes
Stormcaller - AoE
Warlock - Damage over time / life leach effects.
Necromancer - Pet + debuff effects.
Archmage - The Mage PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.

Rifts - Dynamic World Events...Really!
The signature feature of the game, Rifts are holes in the planes through which monstrous elemental creatures come to attack Telara. They look like this:
ss73-large.jpg

Individual rifts open on their own around the world map. You can also choose to open them at various locations. Sometimes they also appear during quests:
ss68-large.jpg

And sometimes, they appear as massive, dynamic world events, triggered by players and resolved by players, as our very own Archonex describes here:
So I just experienced an invasion.

And I don't mean the piddly little "squad of troops marches to a town and tries to burn it to the ground" invasion.

I mean "Cthulu has risen from the depths of Rl'yeh, and seeks to devour the world" sort of invasion.

Me and some group mates were on a peninsula in the Free Marches, fighting some group of artillery men water cultists, trying to close a rift. Which is when we apparently accidentally flipped some sort of pre-programmed trigger that triggered the apocalypse.

See, by this point, I had assumed that Rifts were pretty bog standard PQ's with a twist. If you don't close them, they start spawning troops that will gladly overrun the zone and shut down questing until they're taken care of. And the rifts never stop spawning them. You get rewarded pretty heavily for attacking rifts, however, so you're always wanting to actually attack these things.

So, we close this rift. And all of a sudden a voice rises up from the sea. Apparently by closing that last water rift we pissed off the in-game equivalent of Cthulu. He starts screaming at us, calling us false ascended, traitors, etc, etc. While a goddamn turncoat cultist of death on our side back at Kings Retreat basically shit talks the lovecraftian abomination (Ballsy move, I gotta say.) and ticks it off to the point where it launches a full scale assault on the zone.

Now. I should clarify on this. This wasn't just a couple portals to some stygian un-reality opening. This was a full fledged attempt to sink the zone under the sea. Hundreds of fleshless horrors that were over-leveled for the zone, and looked like something out of Lovecraft's worst nightmares came charging out of the ocean. Portals to another reality opened across the width and breadth of the zone, spewing water from nowhere and everywhere at once, slimy tentacles writhing from them in the air, disgorging their own elite, lovecraftian horrors. Strange, alien growths appeared on the ground throughout the zone, as if the land itself was changing to some sort of alien gods whim.

In short, all hell broke loose. After the initial shock on general chat (Which mainly amounted to people saying "holy shit!", "help!", and "THE'YRE KILLING EVERYTHING".), a raid got together and we started fighting back.

Across the verdant, drowned fields of the Free Marches, we rallied and began to kick ass. Killing at least fifty of the stygian horrors as we marched south to the beacons they were building, struggling to keep the NPC AI from taking the zone (Which apparently they're quite capable of doing. They had to build beacons, RTS style. And they were succeeding for awhile.). We even pursued our man-hunt to kill the monster that rose from the sea, under the sea, finding marks of his favor and hacking them to pieces.

Meanwhile, the sky darkened. And the ground under our feet got wetter and wetter, until in some areas, we were literally walking in ankle deep water at all times.

The Kelari village got burned (Drowned?) to the ground at some point, no clue when. Which is a shame, because not twenty minutes before it fell, I paid it a visit and upgraded it's wardstone to the highest tier.

The Kings Retreat, the most secure area in the northern half of the zone, also came under attack a few times, though a second battalion of ascended formed and marched down the main roads to meet the huge invasion force that had gathered, and was incoming toward's it, so it was saved.

There were easily 20 rifts open, and god knows how many eldritch abominations running around. When I logged out after the invasion, twenty minutes later, the southern half of the zone was still covered in rifts that were disgorging a dozen invasion forces, despite the event being officially "over".

Eventually, after an hour of marching around and hard combat, we finally managed to face off with the monster that started the zone wide event. It died. And I got myself a special orb, an epic item, that can be used to trade for epic quality gear, even at my level.

That was probably the most badass, awesome thing i've ever done in a MMO. Some of the scenes from it looked like they should have been on the cover of a death metal album, and it was definitely dynamic content on a zone wide scale. We had a frigging militia forming to defend the towns, for instance. For no other reason then to not lose them.

PvE: Dungeons and Such
ss61-large.jpg

Current Dungeon List:
Realm of the Fae - Silverwood - Level 17ish
Iron Tombs - Freemarch - Level 18ish
Darkening Deeps - Gloamwood - Level 22ish
Deepstrike Mines - Stonefield - Level 24ish
Foul Cascade - Scarlet Gorge - Level 30ish
King's Breach - Scarwood Reach - Level 35ish
Runic Descent - Moonshade Highlands - Level 40
Fall of Latern Hook - Droughtlands - Level 44
Charmer's Caldara - Shimmersand - Level 50
Abyssal Precipice - Iron Pine Peaks - Level 50

Current Raid List:

Greenscale - 5 Bosses

Upon release there will be ten dungeons and one raid. Two raids are planned for near-immediate post launch; Hammerknell, to be launched within 60 days, and a mystery raid that will be launched post release but before Hammerknell. All instances can be done normally as well as in 'expert mode', which is Rifts version of heroic content. There will be five tier one experts and five tier two experts, with T2 experts being more difficult and more rewarding than T1s. There will also be Group Rifts and Raid Rifts upon release, with the overall progression looking something like this:

Quest/Reputation/Solo Rift Items ---> Normal Level 50 Dungeons ---> Group Rifts (optional) ---> T1 experts ----> T2 experts ----> Raid Rifts (optional) ----> Raids.

All normal raids will be 20 man only at launch.

Here are some videos of boss fights in the early dungeons:
And here are some scenes from the dungeons available so far:
ss107-large.jpg
ss106-large.jpg
ss101-large.jpg
ss62-large.jpg
ss60-large.jpg

PvP: Yeah, RIFT has that too

If you're into PvP, there will be PvP servers. Here's a link to a description of the PvP ruleset and the opportunities for open world PvP.

We also know that there will be several Warfronts, basically instanced 10v10 (or more) battlegrounds that you queue up for. Warfronts that we've seen so far include:
-The Codex - 15v15, get points for holding different locations
-The Black Garden - 10v10, get points for controlling the Fang of Regulos, which does more and more damage to you the longer you're holding it
-A CTF 10 v 10. It's capture the flag. You've played it before. You get the flag. You return it to your base. You bitch at your teammates because holy fuck focus the flag carrier. The usual.

The ones planned but not seen yet are:
- A 20 v 20 'big battle' type, where you'll have to balance PvE and PvP to win (think Alterac Valley)

Important Links:

Official RIFT Website: http://www.riftgame.com/en/

Character Builder: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

The PvP guild is The Six Mouths, Defiant, on Sunrest. If you want to join, PM Rorus Raz or Figgy

The PvE guild is Knights of Arcadia, Defiant, on Faeblight. If you want to join, sent a tell to Kiori, Wyla, or Jim.

The EU PvE guild is Planary Arcadia, Defiant, on Argent. If you want to join, PM Kylka

Old Threads

Thread 1 Rift: All The Beta Keys You Can Eat
Thread 2 Rift: OH MY GOD MY PIG
Thread 3 [RIFT] Headstart Thursday! Release Tuesday! Death of Social Life Shortly Afterwards!

Misc Stuff

The Six Mouths have a twitter. It's here.

Crafting Chart!
400px-Rift_Profession_Map.png

SkyCaptain has a guild on Hammerlord (PvE) Guardian side. It's not a PA guild (IE: It's not recruited from PA friends and family only), but if you want to scratch that Guardian itch, let him know. The guild is Serenity.

SimpsonsParadox on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    The RIFT FAQ

When do you get your third soul?

- You should get all three of your souls during the tutorial, with the last (third) coming around level 6. If you're following a giant walker up a hill (defiant) or catapulting some giants (Guardian) you're too far.

Oh dear. My character's already out of the tutorial and I missed my third soul! I guess I better delete and restart...

- Nope! At level 15 you'll unlock quests to gather up whatever souls you didn't pick during the tutorial. For most people this means they'll do 5 quests and have all 8 souls available; for you, it just means you'll have to do 6 quests. All they entail doing is getting an item from a rift and summoning a non-elite mob, so they're really not that big of a deal.

No, no, it's okay. I didn't like my talent/soul picks anyway. I might as well start up a second rogue...

- Nope, once more! Skill trainers can both A: Reset all talent points (Which allows you to reallocate them or just straight up switch your souls around, since 0 point souls can be switched whenever) or B: Sell you another role. This opens up another page of 3 souls; you can switch between the two at whim so long as you're outside of combat. Think WoW's dual spec, except you'll have the money to buy your first probably by the time you're out of the tutorial zone. There are three extra roles in all for a grand total of four roles.

Why are people running around with two headed turtles/bear things/gazelles right after I leave the tutorial zone? What's going on?

- Mounts in Rift have no level requirement, meaning that the moment you can buy one you can ride it. There are a few different tiers of mounts, though, so don't worry! If its your first character, you'll probably be able to afford one in the late teens.

My pet stopped leveling with me what the christ

- "Zero Point Pets", or pets that you get for just selecting a soul and not putting any points into the tree, cap out at level 30. This, somewhat strangely, also includes any pets you get that either A: Don't have 'Greater' in their name or B: You didn't talent into. For example, an Earth Elemental (0 points in Elementalist), an Air Elemental (12 points into Elementalist) and a Skeletal Stalwart (12 points Necromancer) will all cap out at level 30, where as a Greater Earth Elemental (20 odd ish points in Elementalist), Skeletal Knight (21 point talent in Necromancer) or Greater Razorback (20 odd ish points in Ranger) will all level with you all the way to 50.

How the hell are people running around with epic equipment already? I'm only level 15!

- Two ways. The first is to take part in zone wide invasions. The end boss of these usually gives you a purple shard you can trade in with some Planarite to get epic equipment. The other way is exploring. In each zone there's a hidden minigame which, when beaten, will give you a random epic, some money, and an achievement.

How can I swap my roles and equipment at the same time?

Figgy has the answer.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Switching roles and gear at the same time:

This has been asked a few times, so here's a quick and dirty explanation:

/saveequip followed by a number will save your current equipment set as that number (ie: /saveequip 1)

/loadequip followed by a number will equip the set you have saved under the respective number (ie: /loadequip 1)

/role followed by a number will switch to the role designated by that number

So, just save each of your equipment sets under its own number, and your macro could look something like this:

/loadequip 1
    /role 1

and

/loadequip 2
    /role 2

Voila! You could even add a /wait command afterwards to then automatically cast certain buffs, so you won't forget. Like, for example, throwing up your assassin poisons when switching to your assassin build. (
    ('/cast Rainbow Blade Dance' will cast your epic Rainbow Blade Dance ability.)

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    The twitter account for The Six Mouths is here.

Follow us!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    first person to bring up a cross-server LFD tool gets donkey-punched

don't matter what side you're on

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    The Six Mouths will be a bald guild.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    The Six Mouths will be a bald guild.

no strict naming conventions, but NO HAIR EITHER

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mmm, new thread smell, just in time for our fresh start tomorrow!

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anybody who will not be joining the PA forum guilds due to their choice of Defiant as a faction are welcome to join us Guardians on the Sunrest server. Send me a PM if you're interested in joining.

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TSM is a perfectly fine cross-server name. . .

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I want to hit things with a giant hammer. Seems like Shaman/Justicar is the way to go from what you guys have said, but what's a good choice for the third?

Aistan on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Harlon wrote: »
    Anybody who will not be joining the PA forum guilds due to their choice of Defiant as a faction are welcome to join us Guardians on the Sunrest server. Send me a PM if you're interested in joining.

The Guardian guild will be named the Six Butts.

Because they are guardians. :winky:

Unsalted on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Druid is the other 'hit things' soul, with a few passives that could help out your DPS and a healing pet that will certainly cut down a wee bit of grind time. You could also pick up Warden (HoT healing, which is great for keeping yourself up while grinding) or one of the spellcasting souls for some DoT/AoE love.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hrm, the game's not even live yet and there's already how many rp/defiant/guardian/NA/EU guilds? As if the soul system wasn't so difficult to pick a spec...

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey, so. I never uninstalled the Rift Beta before I installed the legit version that I purchased off Steam. Does this mean I'm going to have a right bitch running it tomorrow? I was able to patch up to full in one flawless 8GB download...

Imperfect on
  • Options
    buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New thread smell.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maguano wrote: »
    hrm, the game's not even live yet and there's already how many rp/defiant/guardian/NA/EU guilds?

Four, technically, but really only two. There's the Faeblight PvE guild and the Sunrest PvP guild. Then there's the EU guild, but that's really only for, well, EU people so I can see why it was made. There's also a Guardian guild a few posts up, but, quite frankly, I'm not really counting that as I doubt we'll have enough to sustain one guild, let alone three that I can grudgingly see the purpose of.

Imperfect wrote: »
    Hey, so. I never uninstalled the Rift Beta before I installed the legit version that I purchased off Steam. Does this mean I'm going to have a right bitch running it tomorrow? I was able to patch up to full in one flawless 8GB download...

I think it just means you'll have an 8 gb digital paper weight.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The beta is in a weird location, whereas retail is in Program Files by default. So, you should be alright besides having 7GB of wasted space.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay, new thread.

I took tomorrow off work, so I should be on all day.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gonna flip a coin between Mage and Rogue.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Arikado wrote: »
    Gonna flip a coin between Mage and Rogue.

That's the same dilemma I've been having.

I'm gonna Main a Rogue and Alt a Mage to play with my RL friend for the rare occasions we can both play at the same time.

Probably. Or Main a Mage and Alt a Rogue.

Fuck!

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maguano wrote: »
    hrm, the game's not even live yet and there's already how many rp/defiant/guardian/NA/EU guilds?

Four, technically, but really only two. There's the Faeblight PvE guild and the Sunrest PvP guild. Then there's the EU guild, but that's really only for, well, EU people so I can see why it was made. There's also a Guardian guild a few posts up, but, quite frankly, I'm not really counting that as I doubt we'll have enough to sustain one guild, let alone three that I can grudgingly see the purpose of.

To be honest, if we can't sustain a single guild of forumers, their friends, and the odd in-game recruit, the game will have tanked anyway and it won't really matter, right?

If the game is successful, I can see there being a few different flavours of guilds. To say there isn't necessarily a purpose to the three current guilds is silly. The EU guild is there because of time zone constraints (and possible latency issues). The PVE/PVP split is there because those playing on one definitely don't want to play on the other. By saying we're cutting one, you just lose 99% of the people, they don't magically decide they like the other play style and merge.

I don't see the logic behind poo-pooing the PVP/PVE split. The split is going to happen whether you acknowledge the PA guild on it or not. You can either rally the PA people together on each or don't, but the split is going to remain.

In other news, I've been fucking around with Guildlaunch for a TSM site. I'm not sure we even need one, since there seems to be a fairly robust in-game guild organization UI, but who knows? They also offer Ventrilo prices for what seems like a fairly reasonable price (30 slots for $10/mo, for example). I'd be willing to front a couple months for one if it would see some use.

We could just use the general PA Vent for the time being and decide on opening up a dedicated TSM (or even a general Rift guild one) if there is a need.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, it was a weird beta for me.

I started with an Elemental Mage and hated it. Then I tried a Justicar Cleric and it was ok, didn't really have too much fun. Then I did Warrior and stuck with it for like... 70% of all the betas, mostly cause tanking is fun in this game but I started to see how one dimensional they were.

Then I played Rogue until lv 16, mostly as Nightblade and had a blast. However, I kind of feel bad for not giving Mage a 2nd shake. And part of this dilemma is the guilt I feel for it.

Arikado on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PvE Defiant Guild's name should be Scarytown.

Darkbad is also acceptable.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't see the logic behind poo-pooing the PVP/PVE split. The split is going to happen whether you acknowledge the PA guild on it or not. You can either rally the PA people together on each or don't, but the split is going to remain.

I wasn't poo-pooing it? I apologize if my post came across as "you damn kids should all just go into one guild and like it!". What I meant was that I can see the purpose of the three guilds, although I may not be super happy with splitting it three ways. However, as you said, the split is going to occur no matter what.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I wasn't poo-pooing it? I apologize if my post came across as "you damn kids should all just go into one guild and like it!". What I meant was that I can see the purpose of the three guilds, although I may not be super happy with splitting it three ways. However, as you said, the split is going to occur no matter what.

That wasn't necessarily directed straight at you, it just reminded me of some of the nay-saying behind the splits. Haters thinkin' we ain't gonna last.

Really, if we don't last it's because the game isn't going to last. If that's the case, so be it.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

That wasn't necessarily directed straight at you, it just reminded me of some of the nay-saying behind the splits. Haters thinkin' we ain't gonna last.

Really, if we don't last it's because the game isn't going to last. If that's the case, so be it.

I don't think it's necessarily "Oh no we're all going to quit" so much of it is that the PA MMO people tend to graze around MMOs. I have hopes that Rift will break this trend and we'll have all the people we need to keep several PA guilds at healthy levels, but counting chickens before they hatch and all that. At least from the beta, however, I don't think Rift going down in Warhammer tinted flames is something we're going to have to seriously worry about.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daaaaawwwww yeaaaaaah Rifts up all in this tomorrah.

Gonna, like, smash some heads with my bahn-mi bro for days.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't think it's necessarily "Oh no we're all going to quit" so much of it is that the PA MMO people tend to graze around MMOs. I have hopes that Rift will break this trend and we'll have all the people we need to keep several PA guilds at healthy levels, but counting chickens before they hatch and all that. At least from the beta, however, I don't think Rift going down in Warhammer tinted flames is something we're going to have to seriously worry about.

I also figured the MMO-grazing trend was because the MMOs in question weren't that amazing. Isn't the guild for CoX still going strong?

Figgy on
  • Options
    HykuHyku Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dominator, greatest PvP soul in game?

Discuss...

Hyku on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, there will be a PA guild on the Guardian side on Sunrest? Interesting.

My ogre (err, "Bahmi") rogue will see you on the battlefields, then. Can't wait to shave a dwarf's beard and wear it as my own!

Galielmus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    all bahmi all the time

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Its always a good sign when you tell your buddy the guild is going to be "the Six mouths" on Sunrest and he replies with "we'd better watch out for <The Six Dicks> then."

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That should be the Guardian guild's name. Or even The Twelve Dicks, depending on how big The Six Mouths are.

Figgy on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Notice: There's no patch data up. The client actually loads now without any servers showing.

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    kidsolkidsol Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That should be the Guardian guild's name. Or even The Twelve Dicks, depending on how big The Six Mouths are.

Unfortunatly 2 firends decided they wanted to go Defiant so Defiant Six Mouths it is :P

kidsol on
    Rift: Sunrest - Ayaname (Warrior) - Steam: We Are 138 - XBL: Kidsol
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh neat, I hadn't seen the new intro yet.

Arikado on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Syrdon wrote: »
    So, this apparently early releases tomorrow. How is it? WOW clone? WOW killer? Something different enough to fiddle with?

It's a bit odd seeing them use WOW-ish concepts but RIFT terms. Soul Tree (Talent Tree), for example.
    RIFT stole some of the best bits of the current crop of MMOs, fixed them up in some cases, and called it a new game. If that sounds like a bad thing, I'll point you at Darksiders, which did pretty much the same thing for other genres and was pretty good because of it. So, I wouldn't call it particularly ground breaking, but since I came up with large quantities of free time after dropping WoW, this is seeming more appealing.

Ah, so they pulled a Blizzard.

Any Asheron's Call fans in the thread? The description of how the souls thing sounded vaugely like it'd be appealing to AC vets, but not sure.

Hi5 for AC love.

It's appealing but only in that I get a bit of freedom in how I create my character (planning on going Warrior with Paladin/Riftblade/Warlord for my main, though I may drop Warlord for Beastmaster), but the main draw for AC was exploration and I don't see that from... well, any MMO really.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ED! wrote: »

I wish TSM was a name the PvE guild was interested in using, because I fucking love it. I have been jealous of that guild name since WAR came out. But, I don't care enough to play on a Griefing Server.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fuuuuuuuck, I feel like a little kid on Christmas eve. I'm going to have some trouble sleeping tonight.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Syrdon wrote: »
    So, this apparently early releases tomorrow. How is it? WOW clone? WOW killer? Something different enough to fiddle with?

It's a bit odd seeing them use WOW-ish concepts but RIFT terms. Soul Tree (Talent Tree), for example.
    RIFT stole some of the best bits of the current crop of MMOs, fixed them up in some cases, and called it a new game. If that sounds like a bad thing, I'll point you at Darksiders, which did pretty much the same thing for other genres and was pretty good because of it. So, I wouldn't call it particularly ground breaking, but since I came up with large quantities of free time after dropping WoW, this is seeming more appealing.

Ah, so they pulled a Blizzard.

Any Asheron's Call fans in the thread? The description of how the souls thing sounded vaugely like it'd be appealing to AC vets, but not sure.

Hi5 for AC love.

It's appealing but only in that I get a bit of freedom in how I create my character (planning on going Warrior with Paladin/Riftblade/Warlord for my main, though I may drop Warlord for Beastmaster), but the main draw for AC was [strike]exploration[/strike] the awesome storyline progression/world events and I don't see that from... well, any MMO really.

fixed for personal preference :wink: I loved AC but it wasn't about the characters, it was how well turbine evolved the world, which no one has come close to since

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ED! wrote: »

I wish TSM was a name the PvE guild was interested in using, because I fucking love it. I have been jealous of that guild name since WAR came out. But, I don't care enough to play on a Griefing Server.

Can we stop with the bullshit generalization over what kind of people play on a PVP server? Yes, you get griefed on a PVP server. Yes, people will try to corpse-camp you sometimes. We deal with it, and we like it.

PVP servers aren't for you, we get it. There's no need to throw around comments like that every chance you get. I'm not saying you're doing it all the time, but barely a page goes by where someone doesn't mention how PVP was "designed for griefers" or some stupid ass shit.

Figgy on
This discussion has been closed.