As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Console Tournaments: Oh Crap I'm Late Edition

Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
So sue me (please don't).

This thread is for rules, registration guidelines, updates, schedules, and questions regarding console tournaments ONLY. This thread will NOT cover console freeplay or any other events, including handheld, PC, tabletop, etc. Please note that all information is subject to change between now and March 11th.

Note: All mini-tournaments (groups A-D) are capped at 32 players each. Also, you cannot enter more than one game per group.

Schedule
Friday, March 11th
12:00pm - 2:00pm: Group A (Puzle Bobble, Peggle, Virtual-On: OT)
2:30pm - 4:30pm: Group B (Puzzle Fighter HDR, Super Turbo HDR, NBA Jam)
5:00pm - 7:00pm: Group C (Lumines Live!, Joust, Galaga, Tekken 6)
8:00pm - 12:00am: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)

Saturday, March 12th
11:00am - 1:00pm: Group D (Pac-Man CE DX, Geometry Wars 2, Soul Calibur 1)
2:00pm - 6:00pm: Super Street Fighter IV (X-Box 360)
7:00pm - 12:00am: Marvel vs Capcom 3 (X-Box 360)

Sunday, March 13th
1:00pm - 5:00pm: Halo: Reach (X-Box 360)

Registration
  • Registration for ALL console tournaments begins on Friday, March 11th, at the main desk in the console tournament area.
  • Signups for Saturday and Sunday tournaments will be limited on Friday and Saturday. Unrestricted registration begins 2 hours before a specific event. See an individual tournament's section below for more information.
  • Each tournament has two lists: Main and Standby. Once the Main list has been filled up, you can only sign up on Standby. This means you can only enter the tournament if someone from the Main list fails to show up (odds of this happening are generally pretty good). Entrants from Standby are on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • If you do not have a complete team for a team tourney, you must enter on Standby. If you can subsequently find a team before the tournament starts AND there is room on the Main list, you will be moved into a guaranteed spot. Otherwise, you will be paired up with whoever else we choose from the Standby list.

Born to Duck
Zig21 on

• Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Group A
    When: Friday (March 11th), 12:00pm - 2:00pm

Puzzle Bobble (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Local Multiplayer
    Format: Single elimination, best 2 of 3 games

Peggle (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Local Versus
    Level Selection: Chosen by judge
    Format: Single elimination, best of 1 game (best 2 of 3 for finals)

Winner determined by score.

Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram (X-Box 360)
    Mode: System Link
    Rounds: 3

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Group B
    When: Friday (March 11th), 2:30pm - 4:30pm

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (X-Box 360)
    Mode: X Mode
    Rounds: 2
    Format: Single elimination, best 2 of 3 games (best 3 of 5 for finals if time allows)

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Versus, HD Remix
    Rounds: 2
    Stage Select: Random
    Format: Single elimination, best 2 of 3 games (best 3 of 5 for finals)

Akuma is banned.

To set your controls, start a game and go to controller settings. You may then start the match if your opponent agrees to it, otherwise you must exit to the main menu and re-enter Versus.

Winner keeps character between games. Loser may switch character and/or stage if they wish. Character selection is not restricted at the start of your next match against a new opponent.

NBA Jam (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Versus, 1v1
    Format: Single elimination, best of 1 game (best 2 of 3 for finals)

Unlockable teams and players will not be available.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Group C
    When: Friday (March 11th), 5:00pm - 7:00pm

Lumines Live! (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Time Attack
    Time: 180 seconds
    Format: Single elimination, one attempt per player (two attempts per player in finals)

Winner determined by final/best score (not cumulative).

Ties will be broken by playing Time Attack with a 60 second time limit.

Joust (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Versus
    Format: Single elimination, best of 1 game

Winner determined by whoever lasts longer.

Galaga (X-Box 360)
    Mode: There's only one
    Format: Single elimination, one attempt per player

Winner determined by final/best score (not cumulative). Each attempt ends when player reaches level 10 OR runs out of lives.

Tekken 6 (Playstation 3)
    Time Limit: 60
    Handicap: 100%

To set your controls, start a game and go to controller settings. You may then start the match if your opponent agrees to it, otherwise you must exit to the main menu and re-enter Versus.

Winner keeps character between games. Loser may switch character and/or stage if they wish. Character selection is not restricted at the start of your next match against a new opponent.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl (Wii)
    When: Friday (March 11th), 8:00pm - 12:00am
    Format: 1 vs 1, single elimination
    Cap: 256 players

Rules
    Stocks: 3
    Time Limit: 5 minutes
    Damage Ratio: 1.0
    Stage Selection: Random
    Pause: Off
    Items: Off

You may bring your own Gamecube controller if you wish, provided it's not wireless (no Wavebirds). If you prefer a Wii Remote and/or Nunchuck, you may only use those we provide at each station. Classic Controllers are also allowed.

During a match, winner keeps character between games. Loser may switch character and/or stage if they wish. Character selection is not restricted at the start of your next match against a new opponent.

Stalling tactics are not allowed. You may use infinites, but not for stalling purposes. Also, no Meta Knight glitch(es).

Stage Selection
    Before each game, either player can propose playing on any stage of their choice. If the opponent agrees, they may select that stage. Otherwise, they must choose random stage select.

Available Stages for Random Select:*
    Battlefield, Final Destination, Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Frigate Orpheon, Pirate Ship, Yoshi's Island, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, Castle Siege, Green Hill Zone, Jungle Japes, Corneria, Pokemon Stadium

*Subject to change.

Format: Qualifiers
    • Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 players
    • Each pool will be organized into an 8 player single elimination bracket
    • If time allows, each match will be best of 3 games (stock and/or time limit subject to change)
    • If we are short on time, each match will be best of 1 game
    • The winner of each pool advances to the semi-finals

Format: Semi-Finals and Finals
    • The winning players from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 32 player single elimination bracket
    • If time allows, each match will be best of 3 games (stock and/or time limit subject to change)
    • If we are short on time, each match will be best of 1 game (same settings as Qualifier round)
    • If time allows, bracket semi-finals and grand finals will be best of 5 games

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Group D
    When: Saturday (March 12th), 11:00am - 1:00pm

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX (X-Box 360)
    Course: Championship II
    Mode: Score Attack (5 min)
    Format: Single elimination, one attempt per player (two attempts per player in finals)

Winner determined by final/best score (not cumulative). Each attempt lasts for the full 5 min OR until the player runs out of lives.

Geometry Wars 2 (X-Box 360)
    Mode: Versus, Deadline

Soul Calibur 1 (X-Box 360)
    Time Limit: 50
    Stage select: Random

Remember to set your controls at the character select screen by pressing Start to access to menu.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Super Street Fighter IV (X-Box 360)
    When: Saturday (March 12th), 2:00pm - 6:00pm

Rules
    Battle Time: 99 seconds
    Handicap: None

You may bring your own controller if you wish. For wireless controllers, you MUST have a link cable.

During a match, winner keeps character between games. Loser may switch character and/or stage if they wish. If loser switches characters, winner may also switch Ultras in response. Character selection is not restricted at the start of your next match against a new opponent.

To configure your controls, start a match and use the in-game pause menu, then exit back to Character Change. If you forget to do so and start the match, you may pause mid-game to set your controls BUT your opponent has the option of either restarting the game or resuming as-is.

• Each match will be best of 3 games

• The winning players from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 32 player single elimination bracket

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Marvel vs Capcom 3 (X-Box 360)
    When: Saturday (March 12th), 7:00pm - 12:00am

Rules
    Time Limit: 99 seconds
    Damage: Medium

Jill and Shuma Gorath will not be available.

You may bring your own controller/arcade stick if you wish. For wireless controllers, you MUST have a link cable.

During a match, winner keeps same characters and assists between games. Loser may switch characters and/or assists if they wish. Character and assist selection is not restricted at the start of your next match against a new opponent.

To configure your controls, start a match and use the in-game pause menu, then exit back to Character Select. If you forget to do so and start the match, you may pause mid-game to set your controls BUT your opponent has the option of either restarting the game or resuming as-is.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Halo: Reach (X-Box 360)
    When: Sunday (March 13th), 1:00pm - 5:00pm
    Format: 4 vs 4, Classic Slayer, single elimination
    Cap: 64 teams (256 players)

Special Feature: A surprise!

Rules
    Classic Slayer, 4 vs 4
    First to 50 kills
    15 minute time limit
    5 second respawn time
    10 second suicide penalty
    10 second betrayal penalty
    Starting weapon: Battle Rifle
    No Vehicles
    No Radar

You may bring your own controller if you wish. For wireless controllers, you MUST have a link cable.

If you quit the game for ANY reason short of a serious emergency, the current game will proceed without you. If your team wins, you will be allowed to play in the next match. Should your entire team quit without permission, it will count as a forfeit and you will be eliminated from the tournament. This rule also applies if you reset the game or console.

Maps
    Default maps only (subject to change).

Each round in the bracket will be on a different map. Before each match, both teams may agree to play on any map if they wish to do so.

Subbing
    • You may have up to 2 subs maximum, neither of which can be on another team OR on the standby list.
    • You MAY change team configurations before a match. You MAY NOT change team configurations between games within a specific match (assuming a match is best of 3 games or longer).
    • Before a match, if both teams wish to use subs but cannot agree on an order in which to choose team configurations, they may rock-paper-scissors or flip a coin to settle the dispute. If either team does not agree to these terms, double blind picking will be used.

• Teams will be divided into 8 pools, each containing up to 8 teams
    • Each pool will be organized into an 8 team single elimination bracket
    • If time allows, each match will be best of 3 games
    • The winner of each pool will advance to the semi-finals

• The winning teams from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 8 team single elimination bracket
    • If time allows, each match will be best of 3 games

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    FAQ:
    This post will be used to answer popular questions.

Q: Do you know anything about handheld events?
    A: No, now get off my lawn.

Q: When will rules for (insert game) be finished?
    A: While all information is subject to change up to the event itself, any game with detailed information is more or less finalized.

Q: What are the prizes?
    A: We guarantee medals for top 4 in any tournament (and they look fabulous). We might also have additional prizes for specific tournaments if provided by exhibitors.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    Thread now open for questions and snide remarks on my tardiness. Huzzah!

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zig21 wrote: »
    Note: All mini-tournaments (groups A-E) are capped at 32 players each. Also, you cannot enter more than one game per group.

Where's group E?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tekken 6 or the Uncharted 3 panel? Why must I choose?!!

It's not a tumor on
  • KaydivKaydiv Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Aw, man. I'm not gonna arrive until past noon on Friday, so I'll probably miss out on all the Pac Man spots. Maybe I'll get in via standby, though.

Kaydiv on
    edited February 2011
    Note: All mini-tournaments (groups A-E) are capped at 32 players each. Also, you cannot enter more than one game per group.

Where's group E?

There is none, I forgot to edit that part. Fixed.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • f0cusf0cus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I understand the necessity of it, but I've always hated Items Off for Smash Bros. The game just shouldn't be classified in the same league as actual fighting games... it's a party game. But yeah, should be fun nonetheless.

f0cus on
    XBox - Angry Cremepuff
    PSN - AngryCremepuff
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Only planning on going to the Brawl tournament... guess I'll have to hit the signups before I run to the Expo Hall.

TheAggroCraig on
    edited February 2011
    f0cus wrote: »
    I understand the necessity of it, but I've always hated Items Off for Smash Bros.

Well TOO BAD.:evil:

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Please note that all information is subject to change between now and September 3rd.

That's quite a lot of time for things to change. :P

Also, I agree about items in Smash Bros. It's a lot more fun to play with some on, but definitely necessary for them to be turned off for tournaments like this.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Osu16bitOsu16bit Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I'm in for tekken. Are you the Marduk zig?

Osu16bit on
  • GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OK quick questions for you:

1.) are there any fees to enter?

2.) I see you mention no more than 1 game per group, so I can enter Puzzle bobble (group A), puzzle fighter (group B), galaga (group C), and Pacman DX (group D) if i make it into one of the 32 slots on each?

3.) NO fight sticks right? as a friend of mine is super good at SSFIV and was only gonna enter if he could use a 360 controller.

4.) What time at the main desk in the console tournament area can people sign up? say i get in by 10:30am by some amazing effort, can i go right there and sign up for those tournaments i mentioned?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate it. Just excited, my first PAX and my first gaming conference in general.

GrimmTrixX on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Curions to know if anyone would be interested in forming a team for group D.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is the Soul Calibur tournament the XBLA Soul Calibur or Soul Calibur IV?

EDIT - I see it's updated to say Soul Calibur 1 now. Thanks!

BigSassy on
  • Jer is TrashJer is Trash Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for running T6 on PS3. I was worried it would be on 360 and the controller would make me sad.

Yay SC1 again!

Edit: This schedule shows the SC1 tournament at 11am-1pm, but the gaming schedule on the main page shows it at 11pm-1am. Just wanted to check which was right.

Jer is Trash on
    Somebody get this man a keyboard and about 10 frames of lag!
  • RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Shouldn't it be 2011 in the title, not 2010?

RDubb on
    edited February 2011
    wow these boards are so slow considering how close PAX is. anyone know my questions i asked previously? my main one is "Any fees for entering tournaments?"

GrimmTrixX on
    edited February 2011
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    That's quite a lot of time for things to change. :P
    RDubb wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be 2011 in the title, not 2010?

GOD DAMMIT!

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    GrimmTrixX wrote: »
    OK quick questions for you:

1.) are there any fees to enter?

2.) I see you mention no more than 1 game per group, so I can enter Puzzle bobble (group A), puzzle fighter (group B), galaga (group C), and Pacman DX (group D) if i make it into one of the 32 slots on each?

3.) NO fight sticks right? as a friend of mine is super good at SSFIV and was only gonna enter if he could use a 360 controller.

4.) What time at the main desk in the console tournament area can people sign up? say i get in by 10:30am by some amazing effort, can i go right there and sign up for those tournaments i mentioned?

Thank you in advance. I appreciate it. Just excited, my first PAX and my first gaming conference in general.

1) No entry fees.

2) Correct, you can enter one game per group.

3) Arcade sticks are fine, we just don't provide them.

4) Assuming I'm not behind schedule, you can sign up as soon as the doors open at 10am.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited February 2011
    sounds damn good to me then. im definitely attemptinig to gain entry into pacman DX and Puzzle fighter. debating on puzzle bobble and galaga just cuz i dont own them on XBLA currently, but i was always awesome at puzzle bobble and galaga before. dont know if i wanna be at tournament area for half of the day lol but i'll defintely be there for pacman DX thats 100% for certain.

GrimmTrixX on
    edited February 2011
    Updated MvC3 rules to note that the DLC/Special Edition characters (Jill & Shuma Gorath) will not be available for this tournament.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Did a lot of people bring their own sticks last year? I am debating on bringing mine, but I doubt I will feel like dragging it all the way to Boston with me to be honest.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • BigSassyBigSassy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Did a lot of people bring their own sticks last year? I am debating on bringing mine, but I doubt I will feel like dragging it all the way to Boston with me to be honest.

Yes, there were a fair number. If you want to be competitive, bring it. I regretted not brining mine last year, and I plan on fixing that mistake this year.

BigSassy on
    edited March 2011
    A fair number of people bring sticks, but most of them are either local or have easier travel arrangements.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited March 2011
    A fair number of people bring sticks, but most of them are either local or have easier travel arrangements.

Yea, I plan on only bringing 2 bags or so with me on the train. Carrying the TE SFIV stick with me might be annoying. I probably won't bring one. Maybe next year.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any people want to get a Halo team going? I need 2 more.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
    edited March 2011
    I know I asked about joysticks, but I have another question. Can I bring a fightpad (the controller with 6 face buttons)? If I can, I would definitely bring it.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2011
    Yup. You can bring any controller you want (wireless controllers need a charge cable).

Also, this thread isn't for finding teammates for Halo. See the information on Standby.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited March 2011
    Thanks, Zig. Sorry to be a pain with the questions. I just want to plan out what I am going to be doing. I am probably going to bring my fightpad and see what happens (if I feel like signing up or not). There are a few things I want to do Saturday night, so we will see.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2011
    with the smaller ones like pacman, is it Championship II and ONLY championship 2 for the level choice? or should i be practicing on others? do we know for sure? Would hate to practice on 1 to find out the final is on Manhattan or something lol

GrimmTrixX on
  • mrpogomrpogo Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Hey Zig21, I have a big question about the NBA Jam tournament regarding 1 v 1. Is it possible to change this to a 2 v 2 tournament instead?

Allow me to explain why I think it's better this way. When playing 1 on 1, the AI is pretty cheap. By that, I mean, if you try any crossover or spin move to counter a shove or steal, the AI can counter flawlessly and really takes away from any skill. I think of it the same way as having a smash bros. tournament of 2 v 2 but instead there is one human and one computer player per team. I think it's a lot more fun when playing with four people altogether and a bit more competitive since no one can ride the success of their AI counterpart.

Another aside with 2 v 2; you're allowing more people to be playing at once. Sure, some people might not have a teammate, but I'm sure individuals can be grouped together. Either way, you're pushing for more participants by eliminating the AI from the game.

Maybe I'm the only one pushing for 2 v 2; however, I really think it takes away from the competition by having it 1 on 1 with computer allies. If that's the case, then majority rules and I cannot argue with that. I would just like to push this idea out there for a possible reconsideration of the NBA Jam tournament.

TL;DR Competition is more fun when it's just humans

Thanks,
    --Remy

mrpogo on
    edited March 2011
    GrimmTrixX wrote: »
    with the smaller ones like pacman, is it Championship II and ONLY championship 2 for the level choice? or should i be practicing on others? do we know for sure? Would hate to practice on 1 to find out the final is on Manhattan or something lol

We'll only be using Championship II.
    mrpogo wrote: »
    Hey Zig21, I have a big question about the NBA Jam tournament regarding 1 v 1. Is it possible to change this to a 2 v 2 tournament instead?

NBA Jam will only be 1 v 1. This is due primarily to the older 360s having 3 USB ports (we only have a stockpile of wired controllers).

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
This discussion has been closed.