As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
I get this message about half the time I try to reach the forums. Please feed the hamster or grease his wheel. Thanks much.

CrewMember169 on

• Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Same

Hank_Scorpio on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The forums are due an upgrade very soon. Either this is just proof that it's necessary, or a result of them setting up the new board.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think they may be testing the new forum setup on their own servers before they get everything set up on the cloud hosting.

Which would do nasty things to the regular servers I guess?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011
    It's not related to the new forum. One of our servers is down so we're running at capacity at peak times.

Tube on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How often is everyone getting these? I get a few per minute.

edit: or at least I was around 5pm or so.

Tam on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure. I get one then go to other sites for 10 min or so, come back open a few threads/pages, get one and repeat.

No sense making it harder on the sever by trying multiple times in one min.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I guess so
    I just tried to reload the page twice
    I doubt it makes that much of a difference
    sometimes I get in

Tam on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I get them multiple times per day, probably about 30-40% of the time I try to open them. It seems to be random, persists for a few minutes, then goes away. Once I've succeeded in getting to the forums, however, I've never had it show up. It's only when I first open them.

Edit: Of course when I try to make this post, it happens to me for the first time while I'm actively on them.

Chris FOM on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    It's a known issue. They're down a server, and what you're doing doesn't really have anything to do with how likely you are to get the message. It's simply a matter of how many people are on the forums at that time. More people, more server busy messages.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there anything we can do to help lessen the load, aside from just avoiding the forums?

Also, any ETA for when the server will be fixed/replaced?

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd just like to say that, as this is a FREE service, I don't mind the occasional problems, and I know I'm not entitled to anything. I'm thankful that this place exists at all, and I understand that shit breaks down once in a while. I also wanna thank the people that keep this up, and we users all can live with the error messages for a while.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2011
    It seems that our dead server is unsaveable, so I'm afraid the problems at peak times are going to continue until the forum software upgrade. I don't have a precise time frame yet, but it is a priority and we'll have it up as soon as we can.

Tube on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It seems that our dead server is unsaveable, so I'm afraid the problems at peak times are going to continue until the forum software upgrade. I don't have a precise time frame yet, but it is a priority and we'll have it up as soon as we can.

Cool!

Sucks about the server, but thanks for all the work you guys are putting in.

MechMantis on
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but all posts now have a vertical line running down the page next to them. Is this intentional? A sign of a server meltdown? Worth mentioning at all?

Also, I wanted to say something like what Stormwatcher said, but his sounded better than mine would have, so: "What Stormwatcher said."

AnteCantelope on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but all posts now have a vertical line running down the page next to them. Is this intentional? A sign of a server meltdown? Worth mentioning at all?

Also, I wanted to say something like what Stormwatcher said, but his sounded better than mine would have, so: "What Stormwatcher said."

could you post a screenshot of the vertical bar thing? I don't see it here on Firefox 3.6

Ramius on
    edited April 2011
    Ramius wrote: »

could you post a screenshot of the vertical bar thing? I don't see it here on Firefox 3.6

Sorry, that was at work on IE, I've just come home and it's not here (on chrome or IE). If it's still there at work tomorrow I'll post it.

AnteCantelope on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just started getting the verical bar thing. It started sometime just after the no avatars test (using updated version of IE in WinXP, doesn't happen Chrome). I'll post a screenshot:

Odd.jpg

HappylilElf on
    edited April 2011
    Yep, that's what I was getting too.

AnteCantelope on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's probably the same thing that was discussed here. I guess it returned because a new version of IE does something strange with the gif?

Grobian on
    edited April 2011
    I'm guessing you've got more important things to worry about, but if you care to know: it's NOT showing up in IE 8.0.7600.16385, it IS showing up on my work's IE which I'm pretty sure would be older.

AnteCantelope on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    Is there anything we can do to help lessen the load, aside from just avoiding the forums?

The only thing I can think of other than not using the forums would be to disable avatars and sigs from your user options. Since most avatars, and the text portion of sigs are stored on and served by the forum server, enough people (probably would require a ton) doing that may make it a little better. Though I don't have any numbers on how much it would lessen the load if at all.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Signed.

How old was the server?

Slider on
    edited April 2011

The only thing I can think of other than not using the forums would be to disable avatars and sigs from your user options. Since most avatars, and the text portion of sigs are stored on and served by the forum server, enough people (probably would require a ton) doing that may make it a little better. Though I don't have any numbers on how much it would lessen the load if at all.

I tested the disabling of avatars last night and the effect was negligible. Those things are generally cached at the client for quite some time, so they aren't any real load on the server.

Ramius on
    edited April 2011
    The vertical bar thing should now be fixed. Let me know if you are still seeing it. It's a goofy little thing that makes it come back like that when I edit the postbit template. I'd look into it further if we didn't already have plans to abandon this platform...

Ramius on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has this loss of a server hastened the abandoning of this platform?

Viscountalpha on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm still seeing the vertical bar thing on Firefox.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited April 2011

I tested the disabling of avatars last night and the effect was negligible. Those things are generally cached at the client for quite some time, so they aren't any real load on the server.

My dreams are crushed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm still seeing the vertical bar thing on Firefox.

I don't have it on Firefox 3.6.16 (Windows, if that makes a difference)

Grobian on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the update Tube.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Our current soft target for launching to the mods is the end of next week.

Tube on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    These servers sure seem to cause a lot of problems. I hope the new forums are serverless.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The current hard target is being hunted by Arnold Vosloo.

But seriously, thanks for all the effort in getting things up and running again guys.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Has Alpha gone Office Space on the dead server yet?

JustinSane07 on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has Alpha gone Office Space on the dead server yet?

Requesting video if/when this happens.

Bobble on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    These servers sure seem to cause a lot of problems. I hope the new forums are serverless.

The new forum will actually be Alpha himself, with wires and plugs going directly into his brain.

Henroid on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

The new forum will actually be Alpha himself, with wires and plugs going directly into his brain.

Sounds like fodder for a new hat

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The vertical bar thing should now be fixed. Let me know if you are still seeing it. It's a goofy little thing that makes it come back like that when I edit the postbit template. I'd look into it further if we didn't already have plans to abandon this platform...

Again, this is totally not an important problem, but what is up with the horizontal black bar that (I assume) is supposed to seperate sticky'd threads from the normal ones?

In D&D this slightly thicker bar that seperates threads is after the 5th thread, but there are only 3 stickies.

Burtletoy on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    End wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Sounds like fodder for a new hat

alphamonkey-forumhat.gif

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Yesss. Where is the hatless version of the image for those of us who want to try our hand at hatting?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    All the more reason to visit the sponsors folks. That new server has to be paid for somehow.

(And turn off Adblock fer'crissakes!)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)