As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[E3 2011] MICROSOFT - Post-keynote wrap-up and discussion here!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Microsoft's E3 Keynote 2011
LpXzR.jpg
Body movin', body movin', A-1 sound, sound so soothing

Microsoft kick's off this year's E3 presentations! Last year we got a good look at the Kinect in action, a partnership with ESPN for Live, and the megaton that the Slim360 was shipping out that very day it was being announced. So, what did Microsoft bring to us this year?

Bullet Points of Convenience:
  • Opens with Modern Warfare 3 - PLEASE RECONNECT CONTROLLER; has super great looking water effects (for real); showcases a navy battle of some sort; "Honored to be working with Infinity Ward" - he forgot the rest of his line, "'s project"
  • Tomb Raider - More survival based theme; Lara sounds like a bubble-head and narrates too much, like lighting a torch; Uh, she sure does take a rough beating, falling down slopes and shit, it's pretty brutal
  • Mass Effect 3 - Voice recognition through Kinect; read dialog choices to select them; give basic commands in combat even; more promised at EA's keynote
  • Ghost Recon: Future Solider - Very dramatic showing; Ubisoft Frenchy with his super accent telling us Kinect will be supported; You can disassembled / customize weapons VERY detailedly; gun crafting has voice commands; game controlled with Kinect movement recognition; all Tom Clancy games will support Kinect from here on
  • Reiteration of last year's message about Kinect letting you play music / watch TV and movies, etc
  • YouTube is partnering with MS for Live functionality and content
  • bing coming to XBox (durr durr)
  • Actual regular television being done through Live; MS partners with TV networks to make it happen
  • UFC partnership with Live to watch events
  • Gears of War 3 shown - Apparently Black Sabbath (War Pigs) was proper music to introduce it; Cliffy B takes the stage and IRC gives a collective "Fuck you Cliffy"; Ice T takes the stage with him to help play the game; Ice T doing a song with Bodycount for the return of Horde Mode
  • Ryse - Roman themed FPS-sword game controlled by Kinect only
  • Halo: Combat Evolved - The rumor is TRUE (even though it was leaked an hour before the keynote)
  • Forza 4 - Reiteration on Kinect compatibility; 16 players online; other community stuffs
  • Fable Journey - Peter M-whateverhisnameisspelled is excited as ever!; Kinect controlled, as expected; a little hard to see due to the demo being in a dark, foggy place; wave your hands around for spell weaving
  • Minecraft - WHAT THE FUCK, it's going to XBox exlusively with Kinect!
  • Disneyland stuff - Kinect game, for kids / family safe stuff, so everyone of course freaks out about video games being "dead" (take a chill pill guys, the inclusion of something does not come at the exclusion of whatever else was in place); pretty much Kinect Adventure with the Disney themes; I'll admit that kids demo'ing shit at E3 is weird and wrong
  • Kinect Star Wars - Apparently a mashup of everything ever in Star Wars, even mixing shit that doesn't make sense; on rails, like most other games for Kinect
  • Tim Schafer takes the stage! - Sesame Street: Once upon a monster; Schafer takes a dig at the "simulated family" demo'ing; hey, it's great for kids, it's interactive Sesame Street!; Schafer tells a story about making a game suitable for his daughter for the first time ever
  • Kinect Fun Labs - Lorenzo Lamas takes the stage; it demos tech projects with Kinect, on Live; oh wow, new camera-capture Avatar making; holy crap, finger-tracking to draw in 3D, that's an awesome tech; object-scanning to digitize it, demonstrated by a woman who needed to jump up and down more
  • Kinect Sports Season 2 - speaks for itself? Producer of the game seems really proud of it at least!
  • Dance Central 2 - "Hey remember me? I was that guy who danced on stage last year."; all songs from part 1 port into part 2; more of the same

The End-Keynote Megaton:
Halo 4 - Holiday 2012
It was introduced as a trilogy! Also, it won't have any purple!

The Bottom-Line:
People hate MS and others in the industry for being family friendly and appealing to general audiences sometimes, rather than sticking exclusively to entitled "RAWR VIDEO GAMES" types. As usual. MS' growth of the XBox as a catch-all media device is still underway and leading that way.

Various Nonsense:
images and shit forthcoming

Henroid on

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    thanks for this

couldn't get much from watching the IRC channel since people were endlessly whining about the dumbest things

MrDelish on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FIST BUMP!!!

Fawst on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    After watching the keynote, I came away with a strong feeling that Microsoft needs to make some new IPs, and soon. Halo? Gears? Yawn.

Nightslyr on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Minecraft and Kinect together? That could be very.... tedious.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • LaservalLaserval Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Kinect labs things very pretty cool, technology-wise. I liked how seamless it seemed to be, extracting people from backgrounds and everything.
    My first thought when she scanned in the toy was "oh god someone will scan a dildo".

Minecraft Kinect, omg!

Laserval on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A year on and Dance Central and Child of Eden are still the best uses of Kinect. Sesame Street looks good though for kids.

Halo Anniversary looks nice, Halo 4 still early days.

Everything else was garbage and the over-acting was nauseating.

Moioink on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tomb Raider: Uncomfortably heavy focus on the injuries Lara sustains, to the point where I'd agree that it feels a little fetishised.

Mass Effect 3: Kinect allows you to move squadmates into position and command them to use abilities; eg. "Liara, Singularity"

Forza 4: Headtracking with Kinect

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, retooled visuals and online co-op

Other than that, a lot of family friendly Kinect stuff that doesn't really push boundaries but will provide Wii-like fun.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I felt very underwhelmed. There was an extremely large amount of rail shooters. Nearly every game except 2 was Kinect enabled in some way.

I did like Forza 4 and their headtracking. I would have liked a live demonstration for that but we all know there wasn't actually any live demos. I also like the Mass Effect 3 voice commands during battle. Using it for voice commands seems completely pointless and seems it would break immersion more than anything. Battle is different though. Telling team members to use skills and move is pretty cool. I can see that being extremely useful when the inevitable Mass Effect multiplayer comes along.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tomb Raider is NOT fetishised, you're just not use to that amount of realism when it comes to TUMBLED DOWN FUCKING ROCK-FACES. Jesus.

Mass Effect pretty much shows off the best asset Kinect can have for games; SUPPORTING them. Companies learned this lesson with the Nintendo DS; don't make the touch screen the focus of gameplay, support the game with the touch screen.

Henroid on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm giving Tomb Raider the win for the MS conference.

Close second goes to Sesame Street, of all things.

Everything else just felt... meh. I can't believe they managed to make Mass Effect 3 seem tedious.

Taramoor on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kinect Labs is pretty huge. This is the future of technology we're looking at, not just for gaming, but in general. Just wait until we have a home that we can power with our voices. I know that technology already exists, but not like this, and not this well-integrated.

Fawst on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The ME3 voice commands in combat were pretty cool. I'd happily use that if I could do it with the standard headset. But I'm sure they've made it Kinect exclusive. :(

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think folks are overreacting to how supposedly "bad" the keynote was.

It wasn't great, no way. But it was just fine for what they wanted to show. Aside from the bad lag in Star Wars and the fake families, they showed off what their plans are for Kinect; which has been wildly successful sales wise, and they'd be stupid not to go with it. Bitch all you want about making the 360 a Wii, which isn't really true anyway, but they need to make money and they're going where the money is right now.

Yes, there was a lack of "core gamer" games, but I think we'll see plenty of that at developer conferences. I've never even played a Gears of War game and the demo there looked like somethign I want to check out. And cry all you want about "zomg halo ugh" but it's a cash cow for Microsoft and many people, including myself, are really excited not only for a remake of Halo 1, but Halo 4-6. Haters gonna hate and all that, whatever, but I think it'll be good stuff.

Personally what I don't care for is the on-rails style of every single Kinect game ever. But I've just realized that Kinect isn't for me. That sesame Street game however, I could see my daughter being way into that and very well might get a Kinect for it. Have I seen any Kinect-only games that I, personally, would want? No. But I have a family and realize that I'm not the only one who has to be entertained; and Microsoft realizes this too. It's easy to feel ownership over gaming and consoles if you're a lifelong gamer, but be reasonable; that's an effectively small audience, and these are companies that want money. They're trying to expand their base, and this looks to be doing just that.

Besides, it's not like we're not getting "real" games because of the Kinect stuff. There's no lack of games that still appeal to "core" gamers on the horizon. Sure, some are coming with Kinect features, but I don't think you'll ever see a AAA title like Halo or CoD come out Kinect Only as a franchise flagship. A side game like Fable Journeys seems to be? Sure. Replacing the many-million sellers?

No. So stop freaking the fuck out.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So is the Minecraft thing *only* Kinect or just supporting Kinect? I don't know how the fuck you'd play that game on Kinect. I guess it'd be a box-stacking simulator? :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Those football guys were fucking amazing. Just holy shit.

I kind of laughed a bit when the Halo 4 logo appeared. There was just no way it was stopping at 3

Foolish Chaos on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad I slept in.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2011
    Is it me, or did Tomb Raider sound like angry masturbation?

Nightslyr on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MS 2011: This year we have 2 Halo games!

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Mass Effect pretty much shows off the best asset Kinect can have for games; SUPPORTING them. Companies learned this lesson with the Nintendo DS; don't make the touch screen the focus of gameplay, support the game with the touch screen.
    I dunno. Using voice commands to select the dialogue option in the wheel seemed extremely gimmicky to me.

Especially when Shepard doesn't say what you just said you wanted to say.

WotanAnubis on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Uh, who's freaking out?

I think people are numb to it by now. We know it's for kids. We also know all the big games will be there too.

My favorite parts are finding all the little fun quirks.

FIST BUMP.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Glad to see you sorta back forums, I hope the "server is too busy" was good for you as well.

Still not seeing Kinect as anything more than a Dance Central peripheral. Oh and great if you've got little kids.

Tomb Raider looked interesting at least. I'll probably get it on the PC :P
    Halo 4....eh no interest till next year, and even then.....eh.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tomb Raider is NOT fetishised, you're just not use to that amount of realism when it comes to TUMBLED DOWN FUCKING ROCK-FACES. Jesus.

No see, because if you're impaled on something like that you are consequently not able to make three leaps where your ribs smash into solid surfaces and haul yourself up cliff edges in the very short space of time Lara does all those things. It's not realistic because realism would have her passing out in no short order.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, it really wasn't that bad at all as a conference. Not even close to the what is going on I am banging my head on my desk make it stop levels of Konami last year or Ubisoft the year before that. They just didn't show off a whole lot of interest to people like us.

Tomb Raider looks amazing, though. I need it.

And we need a fist bump gif.

Monger on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    Uh, who's freaking out?

I think people are numb to it by now. We know it's for kids. We also know all the big games will be there too.

FIST BUMP.

You obviously weren't in the IRC chat. Most people were bitching over the dumbest things.

MrDelish on
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Uh, who's freaking out?

FIST BUMP.

You obviously weren't in the IRC chat. Most people were bitching over the dumbest things.

Yeah, I was. Which is why I understand people aren't "freaking out".

They're going Super Saiyan.
    8fiqA.png

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    edited June 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Uh, who's freaking out?

FIST BUMP.

Yeah, I was. Which is why I understand people aren't "freaking out".

They're going Super Saiyan.
    8fiqA.png

/thread

Nightslyr on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    People sure are quick to photoshop.

Henroid on
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So is the Minecraft thing *only* Kinect or just supporting Kinect? I don't know how the fuck you'd play that game on Kinect. I guess it'd be a box-stacking simulator? :P

Yeah they were vague about that. I think it's Kinect-supported, but not Kinect-required. That's the smart way to utilize Kinect, as I said earlier.

Henroid on
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Tomb Raider looks amazing, though. I need it.

And we need a fist bump gif.

simulacrum on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I crave a Kinect game where I can step into a fully-functional mech suit and do battle with gigantic space penises or asteroid badgers or something, I don't fucking know. I don't really care about the enemies, I just wanna strap up that fucking thing, go through a complicated start-up process in my living room, and wander around a virtual world in the steel body of a robot.

Or maybe Pilot Wings or something with the bird suit and the picture taking, only I can snap photos of burglars stopping to poop in someone's backyard.

Liquid Ghost on
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there a youtube link for the entire keynote yet? (The stream doesn't work at my work, and the stream channel is disabled for mobile devices).

LockeCole on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was the Tomb Raider vid just this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7_8Yholm4&feature=player_embedded

Or do I need to go searching?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited June 2011
    Was the Tomb Raider vid just this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7_8Yholm4&feature=player_embedded

Or do I need to go searching?

It was actual gameplay of one of the opening sequences.

Nightslyr on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ok, yes I need to go searching then!

Edit: that was a quick find.

http://ie.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/e3-2011-tomb-raider-gameplay-demo

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I rate this a C.

They failed to show why Kinect is something the hardcore SHOULD get on board with. (Sure, they showed that they COULD, but there really wasn't anything there to make the hardcore run out and get a kinect.) Beyond that, it was just stuff that everyone expects. They're probably not going to drive many people away with this conference, but they aren't going to attract many either.

I just feel like they're on Step 2 with Kinect (refinement of first generation ideas) when they should be on step 3 or 4 (more advance second generation ideas) I mean, the Fun Hub or whatever is not a bad idea, but those are the ideas that need to be refined and injected into a full release. Hopefully after people are allowed to see these ideas in effect, developers can see which ones are popular and thus start using THOSE ideas for their kinect stuff.

MS just kept the status quo from last year.

Undead Scottsman on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Where was Steel Battalion, Microsoft? I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt, maybe even warm up to the Kinect being useful for games outside of flailing... All you had to do get From Software in that Keynote to show me some innovation with Steel Battalion.

Also, I missed the live broadcast, but the internet is already abuzz with "FIST BUMP" and "LIGHTSABER... ON", everywhere. Are these the new Riiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • RekkairRekkair Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This got 2.5 out of 5 fistbumps to me. Mainly for the awkward situations and overacting.

Rekkair on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It wasn't great, no way. But it was just fine for what they wanted to show. Aside from the bad lag in Star Wars and the fake families, they showed off what their plans are for Kinect; which has been wildly successful sales wise, and they'd be stupid not to go with it. Bitch all you want about making the 360 a Wii, which isn't really true anyway, but they need to make money and they're going where the money is right now.

Yes, there was a lack of "core gamer" games, but I think we'll see plenty of that at developer conferences. I've never even played a Gears of War game and the demo there looked like somethign I want to check out. And cry all you want about "zomg halo ugh" but it's a cash cow for Microsoft and many people, including myself, are really excited not only for a remake of Halo 1, but Halo 4-6. Haters gonna hate and all that, whatever, but I think it'll be good stuff.

Personally what I don't care for is the on-rails style of every single Kinect game ever. But I've just realized that Kinect isn't for me. That sesame Street game however, I could see my daughter being way into that and very well might get a Kinect for it. Have I seen any Kinect-only games that I, personally, would want? No. But I have a family and realize that I'm not the only one who has to be entertained; and Microsoft realizes this too. It's easy to feel ownership over gaming and consoles if you're a lifelong gamer, but be reasonable; that's an effectively small audience, and these are companies that want money. They're trying to expand their base, and this looks to be doing just that.

Besides, it's not like we're not getting "real" games because of the Kinect stuff. There's no lack of games that still appeal to "core" gamers on the horizon. Sure, some are coming with Kinect features, but I don't think you'll ever see a AAA title like Halo or CoD come out Kinect Only as a franchise flagship. A side game like Fable Journeys seems to be? Sure. Replacing the many-million sellers?

Yeah this basically sums up my thoughts without me needing to type. Just because Microsoft chose not to feature a pile of core games or the endless stream of win from XBLA doesn't mean they aren't coming. Would have loved to have seen EDF 2 and Trenched up there though. Microsoft chose to show a pile of Kinect, because it is selling and can open up other parts of the market for them. Was expecting to see Child of Eden though...

Man was there a whole bunch of stupid in the IRC :P Funny stuff.

I was blown away by MW3 though, only bought CoD 4 and MW1 this gen, skipped all the rest.

Downloading the Kinect Labs software now, wonder what we get?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg