As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2011] UBISOFT - Post-keynote wrap-up and discussion here!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Ubisofts' E3 Keynote 2011

Brought to you by not Joel McHale

Ubisoft, company known for stupid DRM nonsense and their French accents. What they have on offer is games and James Cameron. I'll apologize right now, as my TV sources decided to die / stop covering E3, and my internet suddenly decided to revert to dialup speed so I couldn't stream things; some folks shared necessary info to make this thread happen and I really, really appreciate it.

Bullet Points of Convenience:
  • Rayman - It's Rayman, it looks great and cartoony!; You can beat up each other when playing
  • "Mr. Caffiene" takes the stage, a very bad Steve Ballmer; lots of talk about 25 year anniversary; 89% of gamer girls "smoking hot," this guy is awful; "Not afraid of a few dick jokes," oh jeeze; he keeps doing Wayne's World shit, get your own material putz
  • Driver: San Francisco being shown, trailer
  • Pimping uplay.com through bumps, hurgh
  • An unnamed game made the stage with a trailer and then live gameplay. In a jungle, crazy people with guns taking villagers hostage, etc
  • Saving the title for the big reveal at the end of it all - Far Cry 3, coming in 2012
  • Randy Pitchford took the stage to talk about Brothers in Arms games in the past; PLOT-TWIST, reveals a WW2 based game titled Furious Four; "Looks like if Borderland's tongue-in-cheek nature meets WW2" UndeadScottsman of our own forum
  • Steven Speilberg and Peter Jackson talk about film, and Tin Tin (whatever that is) becoming a game maybe?
  • Ghost Recon - actual gameplay, not just the weapon-customizing UI elements of Kinect like at MS' keynote; four player coop; free to play
  • Trailer showing, PC game - apply for the beta? WHAT IS IT; Ghost Recon Online? I don't get it
  • Trackmania 2 - trailer contains player made content; Trackmania 2: Canyon is the title
  • Shootmania and Questmania brought up again, Media Planet; still in development since last year I guess!
  • Raving Rabbids: Alive and Kicking; Kinect; puts a rabbid in your living space and you can beat the shit out of it!; general Kinect style games; augmented reality
  • Just Dance 3 - now Pachter has to shoot himself!; October 11th
  • Rock Smith - "Authentic Guitar Gaming"; Guitar Hero with a more detailed guitar, 'real'; October 2011
  • Yourshape: Fitnessed Evolved 2012 - no gameplay shown?

The End-Keynote Megaton:
Assassin's Creed - started off with a fake old-gen game showing, keeping up with their "25 years ago!" stuff; begins with cinematic trailer, then the gameplay trailer; flamethrower turret in-game, and it's on a boat for some reason!; showcased on the PS3

The Bottom-Line:
25 years of Ubisoft!

Various Nonsense:
images and shit forthcoming

Henroid on

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish Commodore games had looked that good.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I had to kill my feed because it wasn't streaming well but I did see some of that 25-years-ago shit, and it was retardedly inaccurate.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No Beyond Good and Evil. That was pretty disappointing.

Sigtyr on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tell me more about Rock Smith

MrDelish on
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    POOP ON YOUR TOOTHPASTE

dbrock270 on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I missed the FC3 stuff. I'm going to assume there's no more malaria type convention as it's universally hated. Do I have any reason to hope for no more infinitely respawning check points? Get rid of those two things and I'm back on for the series.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Barrabas wrote: »
    I missed the FC3 stuff. I'm going to assume there's no more malaria type convention as it's universally hated. Do I have any reason to hope for no more infinitely respawning check points? Get rid of those two things and I'm back on for the series.

Well, the game got introduced as, "All this bad shit has happened to you and now you've ended up stranded. ENJOY."

Henroid on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They have the worst hosts for these sorts of things. Just get someone REAL up there, or get a professional actor, give them the info and let them go to town.

Corporate dudes trying to talk to real people and gamers is never ever going to work. It sucks each and every time. Even just geeky introverted dev type people can be awful at talking about their game.

Randy Pitchford was alright

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rayman looks not fun at all

Ditto to Driver

I'm curious to play a tropical island FarCry, I never got to play the first and the second was awful.

Tintin looks generic as fuck, but hey, movie game

Ghost Recon looked boring

I don't really know much about Trackmania and that trailer didn't really help

Rabbids is a franchise that needs to die

Rocksmith is a new game in a genre that already has

ACR looked reliably great

And the worst announcer ever?

Just Dance 3 for Kinect I think has potential

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rayman looked great, what are you on?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Origins was the only interesting thing from their conference.

And then there's this: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-06-no-beyond-good-and-evil-2-this-generation

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Isn't that sort of a suggestion that BG&E2 will be on the Wii successor?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    Origins was the only interesting thing from their conference.

And then there's this: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-06-no-beyond-good-and-evil-2-this-generation

Nintendo is suppose to reveal a new console tommorow...

Anyway, favorite conference moment:

Here comes Farcry 3, and the bad guy talking about insanity; that it's doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome...

...and then Gearbox announces a WWII-era shooter.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dooduudooolooodooduudooolooodooduudooolooodooduudooolooo

yes, worst announcer.

Topia on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I kind of wish that Assassin's Creed retro was playable.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The best part of Ubi's presentation was discovering how incredible Woodkid is.

Music from ACR trailer

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    I kind of wish that Assassin's Creed retro was playable.

It looked like a cool XBLA game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was pretty surprise at the "look" change that Future Soldier went through. From invisibility cloaked cyber commando with futuristic guns with grappling hooks and robot tanks to something more grounded with modern guns and and augmented reality.

They seem to have toned down the "future" part a lot compared to the original vision of the game (keeping optic camo). They could pretty much just call the game GRAW3 now.

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've come to the conclusion that Ubisoft's conferences should be regarded as a controlled substance.

Revelations, Far Cry and Trackmania look great though.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pajama_Man wrote: »
    I was pretty surprise at the "look" change that Future Soldier went through. From invisibility cloaked cyber commando with futuristic guns with grappling hooks and robot tanks to something more grounded with modern guns and and augmented reality.

They seem to have toned down the "future" part a lot compared to the original vision of the game (keeping optic camo). They could pretty much just call the game GRAW3 now.

I wasn't expecting to like this, but it surprised me. Looks like it'll be fun. I liked the co-op nature of it.

Also: Far Cry 3 looks amazing.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I *want* to like driver, but that's only because the idea of the game seems really solid and capable of supporting some truly interesting and innovative gameplay. Also, I really like open world games. But from what I've seen, it's not going to. Bummer.

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FT4rDaY3AU

I think my biggest surprise is finding out it's coming to the Wii. I am psyched.

edzepp on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rayman Origins looks fucking great, I can't wait for that one.

Furious 4 looks like it could be fun too, especially given that it's Gearbox doing it.

Also, I want that hypothetical "twenty five years ago" Ghost Recon turn based strategy game. I would give them money dollars for such a game.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What happened to brothers in arms? It always felt like the best ww2 shooter, but it never had quite enough polish to beat the crowd. But it always had promise. Now it's a parody of borderlands, basically?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNjuv5Y_oA8

Shown in 1080p as well! :D

UUUNNNNNGGHHH!!!

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What happened to brothers in arms? It always felt like the best ww2 shooter, but it never had quite enough polish to beat the crowd. But it always had promise. Now it's a parody of borderlands, basically?

Probably putting the next one on a longer development cycle, so it can release on whatever the next-gen consoles turn out to be.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    #1 Brothers in Arms 4 looks as stupid as Inglorious Bastards and would be more appropriate in one of the occult WWII settings.

#2 Why did the nazi that got branded look like Adam Sessler?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Was it actually Brothers in Arms 4? I was told it was made by the Brothers in Arms dudes, but it isn't BiA.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Was it actually Brothers in Arms 4? I was told it was made by the Brothers in Arms dudes, but it isn't BiA.

Yeah, it is. Though it's called Brothers in Arms: Furious 4, so if they ever wanted to back out and make a real BiA4, they might have an out.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid