As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hey NYC! Guess What?! It's Time for a [Meetup]!

TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability PartnershipRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Social Entropy++
We're going to have a party! It will be lovely with refreshing beverages and delicious foodstuffs. Everyone cool will be there! Oh yeah and this guy's coming, too:

articlepage1616056.jpg (isn't he dreamy?)

So yeah, the one and only Robert Khoo will be arriving in NYC Monday, July 11 and will be staying until Wednesday, July 13. This means we have the choice of two evenings to entertain our visitor (that's Monday or Tuesday night for those of you keeping track), and this right here is the thread in which we will decide how this will go down.

THE PLAN:

WHEN: Tuesday, July 12th, 7:00pm

WHERE: Lunasa (126 1st Avenue)

THE LIST OF GLORIOUS ATTENDEES...SO FAR
Robert Khoo
TomeWyrm
blue tape
tapeslinger
nexuscrawler
Numeros
JACQATTACK
BEAST!
Drez
Variable
Casual Eddy
Shoggoth
Zek (?)
MulysaSempronius
No-Quarter (?)
1800nightlife (?)
Deebaser
mygiantrobot +1
syndalis
Nanaki +2

If you're on the list and can't make it, let me know! If you can make it and want to be on the list, let me know!

TomeWyrm on

• Options
    blue tapeblue tape Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm in.

As with everything SE++. I never post. I always show up.

blue tape on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I might be able to go. Not too big on Japanese though.

Zek on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, too, might be able to go, and am not too big on Japanese

Goose! on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    I will not be attending and I enjoy Japanese food.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why, Keith? Whyyyyyy

Goose! on
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will be in California and I will eat all of the Japanese food

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    Why, Keith? Whyyyyyy

I dunno, it just tastes good to me?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cho Cho San is but an initial suggestion, not set in stone. Other options presented to me have been Slate or SPiN, if we wanted to do billiards or ping-pong while having a few drinks.

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could go for a little while on monday but I will be in class all of tuesday evening

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited June 2011
    Oh jesus do you have to use that huge photo

edit: oh wait i can just change the stupid thing myself ha!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Why, Keith? Whyyyyyy

Make them come to Philly, and then go out for a Pat's cheese steak.

Hunter on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    slate is a boss place to go and ought to be pretty uncrowded on a weeknight; it is also in a pretty clubby neighborhood so we can always go somewhere else after that.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Clubby does not sound that attractive.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hunter wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Why, Keith? Whyyyyyy

Make them come to Philly, and then go out for a Pat's cheese steak.

But Hunter, I'm not that big of a jerk

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So this is a trap, right?

Like, Khoo arrives, you go to the Japanese place, but then as he steps inside, the floor gives way, and suddenly he's running a gauntlet against 3 other business geniuses in a test of strength, agility, intellect, and who can pull the craftiest face.

If it isn't yet, you're welcome.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Clubby does not sound that attractive.

valid. on a Monday night though? nothing like a weekend. is there a specific neighborhood people want to go, there are kind of a lot of options

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Like, Khoo arrives, you go to the Japanese place, but then as he steps inside, the floor gives way, and suddenly he's running a gauntlet against 3 other business geniuses in a test of strength, agility, intellect, and who can pull the craftiest face.

you know too much

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    NumerosNumeros Goodness GraciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Why yes, there will be Bananagrams.

Japanese sounds fine to me, but being that I am a fan of food in the most basic sense, I am not picky. Like I am always inclined to suggest, we could shoot for Fette Sau (barbecue garage of the Gods), but I know how Khoo feels about Brooklyn...

Actually, I don't know how Khoo feels about Brooklyn. Khoo, how do you feel about Brooklyn?

Also, Goose, stop being that; everybody likes tonakatsu (also, <3)

Numeros on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Im cool with brooklyn, but keep in mind there may be some folks that don't eat meat.

I know, crazy, right?

BUT IT'S TRUE

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Those people are gooses. F'real.

Numeros on
  • Options
    JACQATTACKJACQATTACK New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I vote Tuesday over Monday, mostly because I have plans to go to Six Flags on Monday and I love me some roller coasters.

As for locales I'll be honest and say I'm more concerned with the drink specials than the food items on the menu, so unlimited sake sounds good to me. If we don't end up going to Cho Cho San, I still vote for Manhattan. Besides, the last time we went to Brooklyn I found Robert roaming around looking for the bar while I was roaming around looking for an ATM.

JACQATTACK on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    JACQATTACK wrote: »
    I vote Tuesday over Monday, mostly because I have plans to go to Six Flags on Monday and I love me some roller coasters.

As for locales I'll be honest and say I'm more concerned with the drink specials than the food items on the menu, so unlimited sake sounds good to me. If we don't end up going to Cho Cho San, I still vote for Manhattan. Besides, the last time we went to Brooklyn I found Robert roaming around looking for the bar while I was roaming around looking for an ATM.

Looking for stuff. The horror!

Numeros on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll probably be in no matter what.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    While Fette Sau sounds amazing and I'm sure I would eat enough pig until I hated myself, it probably is best to avoid that meat heaven because there are likely to be vegetarian friends among us.

In a not-unrelated note, even though I love my borough I think we should probably try to stick to Manhattan rather than Brooklyn, if only to even out everyone's travel times. Like, it's pretty easy for people to get from Jersey to Manhattan, but it would add in quite a bit more time if they had to ride into Brooklyn afterwards.

I've never been to Slate, though it looks like it could be a pretty fun spot so long as there aren't a ton of people there, and on a Monday or Tuesday I think it would probably be fine. It also looks like Khoo can school us in ping pong there. I'll add it to the list of potential locations!

I guess we should also figure out, are more people interested in food and drinks, or just drinks?

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I be down with whatever.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Drinking is a thing I like to do, but if we have any youngins along... well, yeah, sorry duders.

Also, wherever we go to eat, we should make sure that seating is adequate. Being crammed into a tin box sounds rather uncomfortable.

Numeros on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    After some thought, I'd like to propose Water Taxi Beach Bar (the South Street Seaport location).

Yes it has ping pong.

It also has alcohol, food, skee ball, and is generally just a fun outdoor location.

This is the place where I had my first bacon dog. mmm bacon dog.

le link: http://www.watertaxibeach.com/south_street_seaport

JACQATTACK on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh that place is mad fun, never been there on a weekday though. easy enough to get to by train iirc.

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    khoo

zucchini on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    JACQATTACK wrote: »
    After some thought, I'd like to propose Water Taxi Beach Bar (the South Street Seaport location).

Yes it has ping pong.

It also has alcohol, food, skee ball, and is generally just a fun outdoor location.

This is the place where I had my first bacon dog. mmm bacon dog.

le link: http://www.watertaxibeach.com/south_street_seaport

This intrigues me

Goose! on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    intriguing indeed

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Although ping pong is fun, but no means does it need to be part of this excursion!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Although ping pong is fun, but no means does it need to be part of this excursion!

To be honest, I'm in it more for the skee ball...and the bacon dogs.

Also, I do enjoy outdoor drinking, and this place could certainly fit a crowd.

JACQATTACK on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like everything I've heard, we can ignore ping pong, I'm bad at it anyway.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Water Taxi Beach does sound like an amazing time (and oh god I want a bacon dog now) but it looks like it's closed Mondays and Tuesdays, which sadly are the days we have available to us for this. :( Although George Clinton's 70th Birthday Funkabration is on July 27th...hrm...

TomeWyrm on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Whaaaaat Who closes on Monday AND Tuesday. Stupid place.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I had no idea they were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I tried to call to confirm but finding a phone number for them is taking more effort than I'd like.

That being said, I do enjoy outdoor revelry. It also makes for a roomy atmosphere that can fit a good-sized group. Does anyone know of a place in Manhattan with rooftop or backyard options? The first three that come to my mind are Bar 13, Tonic East, and some place I can't remember the name of on 5th between 26th and 27th.

JACQATTACK on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The problem with being outdoors is the heat, and the city is especially hot.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I would be in for things on any day.

I'm not sure I know of ideas though, too bad that place is closed Monday and Tuesday.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    It's not too hot at night, and rooftops are breezy.

JACQATTACK on