As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Folding@Home - Destination: Luna

ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
FAHlogoML.jpg
folding-5a.png

We're in the top 200. Please book your ticket on the Lunar express.
Go check out your individual stats on the Extreme Overclockers Page.
Check it out HERE

Justification:
What is Folding@Home?
Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

Long Story Short: folding proteins cures disease. That's a goodness, grok?
I still don't understand what this does.
It will cure cancer!

Don't you want to cure cancer?

*cue puppy eyes* O_O

For some more detailed insight to the process check out a great post from Aegeri HERE

I've got a PS3 - how do I help?
Boot up your PS3, ensure you're updated to the latest version of firmware, and start the "Life with PlayStation" app. Use the Triangle button to set your User ID and Team ID (team ID is 54717). You're done!

I don't have a PS3 - how do I help?
The link to Folding@Home is HERE. You can download the client for Mac, Windows or Linux. Please note that there is a bug in some versions of the client that returns a false reading on how long it will initially take to process the work unit. This takes some time, but you should receive a correct rating after completing part of the unit.

Also - if you're running a multicore machine on Windows please jump to page 5 and read bluehiro's great post on page 5 regarding extracting the most processing power from your machine.

Okay, I'm in. So what's our Team Name/Number?

We're Folding Arcadians and our team number is 54717

Feel free to check out the Folding Arcadians Page on PS3Arcadians.com

142.jpg
Threepio on

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, unfortunately I already fold for the Mac Rumors team, otherwise I'd jump in.

sigimage.php?u=29803&c1=FFFFFF&c2=283560&c3=092655&c4=FFFFFF&c5=FFFFFF

That's me.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't have a PS3, but I'd be willing to get in on this with the client on my Mac.

twmjr on
  • Options
    hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm in. What's our team name?

EDIT: team number

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • Options
    Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have a PS3 and a Mac, count me in on any front.

(what would this Wiki-thingy be like? *looks at website* could I make a picture of a bald guy with PS3 logos in his eyes?)

Also, feel free to add me on that PS3 friend network thing.

Name = Vignet

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It will cure cancer!

Don't you want to cure cancer?

*cue puppy eyes* O_O

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Alright, will do.

I just registered ps3arcadians.com - so I should have it locked down within 24 hours. Apparently 360arcardian friends use mediawiki, so I've started looking into that (if anyone from 360 arcadians wouldn't mind helping us get started I'd be grateful for any assistance or advice :) )

I've just started "Folding Arcadians" for anyone who's interested (I thought it might be nice for it not to be PS3 specific) and the team number is 54717

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will do this in the year and some months away after I get a highdef tv and then can afford a PS3 with the help of xmas money.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    :^: added team number and started it running in CLI mode.

Can I run this on multiple machines at the same time with the same username without it flipping out? Will put it on my Windows desktop if so.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think it should be fine on multiple machines with the same username - Seti@home always was. I've just loaded it up on my Macboock and my iMac with the SMP CLI client - we'll see how that fares. I might toss it on my work PC tomorrow and then the PS3 tomorrow night post firmware update.

Edit: Re: The Wiki, yes, Vicious, I believe we will need some sort of bald avatar with PS3 logo eyes. We're also looking for demonic apocalypse babies and any flying PS3 monoliths you can find. The wiki will sadly be devoid of Giant Enemy Crabs due to a strike in the GEC union.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    twmjr wrote: »

Can I run this on multiple machines at the same time with the same username without it flipping out? Will put it on my Windows desktop if so.

Absolutely. I run it on my Mac, my parents Dell, and about 40 or 50 Macs at school.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Good, good. Will throw it on there in the morning.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    twmjr wrote: »

Absolutely. I run it on my Mac, my parents Dell, and about 40 or 50 Macs at school.

And you can't even spare one for Folding Arcadians? :P

Seriously though, that's pretty fricken awesome. You're doing a good thing :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    MengerSpongeMengerSponge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've been meaning to get back into this. I got the CLI for my iBook; afraid I won't be able to contribute much power with this machine, but I'll put it on the desktop I'm planning to build in a couple months, so hopefully that'll help out more.

I notice there's no one listed for this team on the Folding@home page. Do you have to do anything to join, besides put the team number in when it asks for it? I'm not even listed, and i just signed up.

MengerSponge on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't think it adds you to the list until you submit a finished "fold," if you will. Seeing as it was just created tonight, no one would be listed yet.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think that's on the money. I started the team and I'm not listed as a member yet :P

To the FoldCave!

er...

Awkward.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's out for PS3, only 50Mb to!

Vicious_GSR on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Got the program downloaded and connected to the team. No ps3 so I'm running it on my computer, but I'm only running it while a screensaver is running as I don't have that fast of a computer.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Question, just downloaded onto my desktop PC, and I'm getting "Could not connect to Primary/Secondary assignment server" messages. Anyone else having problems connecting or did I bone something up?

twmjr on
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Uh... if you want to help cure cancer, why not just contribute that $600 to a trusted charity? A lot more will get accomplished than if you left that game console cranking out random calculations every night.

I don't know, guys... this reeks entirely too much of Sony's claims in 2000 that the PS2 was powerful enough to be used as a missile defense system by the Iraqis. The only difference is that they're throwing in a pinch of guilt along with those dubious, overreaching claims of hardware superiority.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sony didn't claim that. The retarded media started that rumor.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    Uh... if you want to help cure cancer, why not just contribute that $600 to a trusted charity? A lot more will get accomplished than if you left that game console cranking out random calculations every night.

I don't know, guys... this reeks entirely too much of Sony's claims in 2000 that the PS2 was powerful enough to be used as a missile defense system by the Iraqis. The only difference is that they're throwing in a pinch of guilt along with those dubious, overreaching claims of hardware superiority.

Because I don't have $600 lying around or I would have purchased a game console of my choice and some games by now.

And this does help cure cancer as there are calculations that need to be done that if it wasn't for folding@home would still be running from several years ago. Its essentailly giving the cancer researchers a cheap super computer.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey, folks (and by folks I'm looking at one person in particular here) - do me a favour? Keep the console war out of this thread.

You've got a PS3 and you want to help? Awesome - 54717
    You've got a Mac/PC/Linux box/Hacked Xbox/TI Calculator and you want to help? Awesome - 54717

You've got a point to make and a soapbox to stand on? Go find one of the dozen other threads to support it. Console war nonsense is thread-shitting and I'd prefer it if you didn't. We're trying to do something good here without the dickwaving.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sorry about that, tired beyond belief and not able to sleep leads to bad judgement. Editing it out.

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Actually, I wasn't looking at you :) Starts with A and ends in rugulaZ.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, gotcha. I guess I've made my opinions clear enough in the other threads.

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Thank you. I appreciate it.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tried to text-only client on PC, and I'm still getting an error when it tries to get my user ID...

Edit: Did a little poking around, and it looks like they're having some trouble with a number of the servers and stats-related things aren't working right this moment...just in case anyone else was having problems.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I just tried setting it up on my work PC and I'm getting the same error. I wonder if they're getting slammed for work units by X million PS3 owners :D

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, the post I read said they isolated the PS3 client to a cluster of servers to keep that launch from affecting anything, and that is not causing the problem. Seems to be an issue with the Stanford School of Medicine network.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I blame SkyNet. Our network here at work has been all jiggery-pokery for the past two days.

Anyone know how to get to Crystal Peak?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I might switchover my parents Dell to the PA team...once I can figure out how.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You should just be able to change the Team ID in the prefs. If you're using the CLI one, restarting it should let you change the number.

twmjr on
  • Options
    EnvyEnvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll be folding from this computer at work. It's pretty much up 24/7. :o Let's fold some proteins!

Envy on
    or you could shut it up.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The servers for retrieving IDs are back up.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weird, I still can't connect - either through my browser or the client. Argh.

Edit: Now I'm getting a message saying it'll be back up at noon.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I could probably load this on my PC at home, more useful than running seti@home :rotate:

LockeCole on
  • Options
    The HeroThe Hero __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »

For the record, it does not take much to power a missile defense system for Iraqis. My fucking MacBook could host a missile defense system.

The Hero on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    my.php?image=img5068as5.jpg

Pretty lights! This is a photo of the video output of Folding@Home on a PS3 in a mode called "World View". Much like the "Weather Channel" game on the Wii, it's not certain how you win. I believe you can level up by completing units, unlocking proteins and curing "cancers".

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    FatBabyFatBaby Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    my.php?image=img5068as5.jpg

Pretty lights! This is a photo of the video output of Folding@Home on a PS3 in a mode called "World View". Much like the "Weather Channel" game on the Wii, it's not certain how you win. I believe you can level up by completing units, unlocking proteins and curing "cancers".

Gotta catch em' all?

FatBaby on
    steam_sig.png