Options

FFXIII Not PS3 Exclusive?

SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint.Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/03/sony_final_fant.html
In an interview with French news site DNA, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe vice president says that Final Fantasy XIII's exclusivity to PlayStation 3 is under discussion:

Enfin, pour Final Fantasy XIII, je peux vous dire que l'exclusivité est en discussion.

Finally, for Final Fantasy XIII, I can tell you that exclusivity is being discussed.

I'm sure Fornay thought this was a positive statement to be making (the site was grilling him about PS3's lessening supply of exclusive games), but this is the first I've heard that suggests that FFXIII is anything but exclusive -- and from no less a personage than a high-ranking Sony exec.

Sorry if this is old news, but I've yet to see a thread on it.

I think this is not good news for Sony, but I'm thinking it might be a translation error or a misunderstanding.

What do you guys think?

SirUltimos on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Quick! Someone start a petition to boycott anything made by Square!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps not specifically, but there is this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=17234

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Never trust the french. :)

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That french guy is getting whipped by a team of sony PR guys as we speak.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Misunderstanding.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Assuming he actually said the given french words, I can assure you thats not a mistranslation.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    He didn't say mistranslation he said MISUNDERSTANDING!

And I'm getting sick and tired of people thinking everything is going to jump ship. Yet when 360 "exclusives" jump, it doesn't matter, its almost hilarious.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    but I'm thinking it might be a translation error...

What do you guys think?

Jeez. Gimme a break.

Anyways, I think this might be fake. I've followed the sources as far as I can, and I can't find the actual french interview anywhere. All the french links are to a french online news site, but not to the interview, and I find no evidence of the interview on the site.

Raslin on

• Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why does everybody think the FF series is anything but a cheap hooker? Square will whore it out wherever they can onto the most widely selling platforms of the time.

VII and VIII got PC ports, XII is getting a DS spin off. If they think the 360 userbase and market will bear it they'll find some way to get something (else) with 'Final Fantasy' in the title on to 360. There are so many recent and upcoming games with 'Final Fantasy' in the title that it's almost utterly meaningless now.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    El Viento wrote: »
    Why does everybody think the video game market is anything but a cheap hookers?

Fixed that for ya.

Loyalty does not exist in this market.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why does everybody think the FF series is anything but a cheap hooker? Square will whore it out wherever they can onto the most widely selling platforms of the time.

VII and VIII got PC ports, XII is getting a DS spin off. If they think the 360 userbase and market will bear it they'll find some way to get something (else) with 'Final Fantasy' in the title on to 360. There are so many recent and upcoming games with 'Final Fantasy' in the title that it's almost utterly meaningless now.

The cheap hooker I'm with right now found that offensive. I had to give her an extra $5 not to leave. THANKS A LOT

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Why does everybody think the video game market is anything but a cheap hookers?

Fixed that for ya.

Loyalty does not exist in this market.

You're spot on. I've been thinking that since I hit post.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The title has almost always been meaningless. See Mystic Quest and Legends.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Hey, I liked Mystic quest :/

Raslin on

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's to say that this isn't just some kind of obligatory shopping-around phase? Might just be a farce to please bureaucracy and whatnot.
    Raslin wrote: »

Hey, I liked Legends :/

Sorenson on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, I know for a fact that the head of SE EUROPE is pushing for a 360 release. But who over in Japan gives a fuck about him? :p

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, I know for a fact that the head of SE EUROPE is pushing for a 360 release. But who over in Japan gives a fuck about him? :p

jesus.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If FFXIII turns out to be multiplatform, it spells little hope for MGS4 being exclusive, as well.

And I'm not just saying this because I bet my coworker $20 that Metal Gear Solid 4 would be announced for the Xbox 360 up to and within a six month launch window of it coming out for the PS3. No, siree.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This news doesn't mean XIII jumping ship is inevitable, but it DOES mean that Sony's realizing it needs to get its butt in gear to try to keep it an exclusive.

Whether or not those efforts will pay off, now that's the interesting bit.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

No-one, considering how incompetantly retarded Square Enix Europe are (and that they've got so little power over what Square Enix does, it's not funny).

BladeofTheImmortal: It's because the PS3 is the only console that has third party exclusives that you'd consider system sellers. The 360's system sellers are Gears and Halo, both of which are first party (though Epic could very well bring Gears 2 to the PS3 as well), while the Wii's system sellers are Mario and Super Smash Bros. The PS3 though, it has MGS4, FFvXIII and FFXIII.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Exclusivity is bad for gamers in general. I don't see why people are so ready to wish a game would stay exclusive to a system. Its like some sort of pride thing. "My system is better becuase I can play this game and you can't."

Why is saving money by not having to buy 2 systems because you can get more of the titles you want on one a bad thing? I guess I'm the only one who remembers how badass the SNES was becasue just about everything good was on that machine.

As a longtime PC gamer none of the current gen systems set my loins aflame. What does 360 have? Gears, Halo3? No thanks. I've been playing FPS games forever, there are similar or better experinces on the PC. Oblivion is also much better on the PC, provided you can get one that will run it.

As far as the PS3 goes I could give a crap about Japanese RPG BishQuestXXVVVIII. I like a lot of Japanese games, but the bulk of the RPGs have become so repettive and insipid that I can barely stand them anymore. I still haven't finished FFXII.

I'm waiting to see what the online component of the PS3 will actually entail before I decide on either, also the price is retarded. The Wii however is something new and interesting, I just can't find one anywhere :(

Drool on
  • Options
    Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    if alot of these 3rd party games do end up going multiplatform(which it seems it is) first of all i don't think it's that big of a deal, and really not that unexpected considering that 360 has been pumping out units a year in advance, it's not really feasable to make some of these exclusives, considering how much it costs to make a game these days, and the install base of the ps3 at the moment, in years time i think you could definitely see more exclusives, however i don't see many japanese games becoming xbox exclusive. it's really weird though, it's like if a game is going multiplatform, people talk as if the ps3 isn't getting the game anymore, it's still coming out. I think in the end there won't be many 3rd party exclusives for either and it'll come down to, would you rather play halo,gears of war(assuming that stays exclusive, since they are making ps3 games), bioshock, masseffect or resitance,white knight story, ratchet and clank, uncharted, little big planet, warhawk(that's 2nd isn't it?), motorstorm, heavenly sword, god of war etc.. i mean first/second party wise it's not even close, factor in other annoying things with the 360 like, wifi, and depending on if you own hd sets, hd movies, which sony has the lead in at the moment. i dunno really how things will pan out, i think a years time is needed for the smoke to clear.

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm more interested in seeing the fanboyish outcry than I am seeing FFXIII on the 360.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

No-one, considering how incompetantly retarded Square Enix Europe are (and that they've got so little power over what Square Enix does, it's not funny).

BladeofTheImmortal: It's because the PS3 is the only console that has third party exclusives that you'd consider system sellers. The 360's system sellers are Gears and Halo, both of which are first party (though Epic could very well bring Gears 2 to the PS3 as well), while the Wii's system sellers are Mario and Super Smash Bros. The PS3 though, it has MGS4, FFvXIII and FFXIII.

Im pretty sure Gears 2 could not go multiplatform.

Im sure Microsoft has more of a stake in it than just publisher. Either they funded development or have an absolute watertight deal on that thing. Im sure kotaku did an article on it when cliffyb announced the sequel.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Only one thing can sum up my feelings on this thread:

orly4.jpg

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ah.. two FF themed threads is confusing me. Anyway, there's still the mysterious 4th FF XIII related game to be revealed, Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII. The title was trademarked by SE as of the middle of last year.

Knowing SE it could, at this stage, be anything from an Xbox 360 action RPG to a Tetris clone for the N-Gage.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raslin wrote: »

Hey, I liked Mystic quest :/

I loved the Legends series on Gameboy. In one of them (the third one?) your airship was an F-117. I couldn't stop laughing once I saw that.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

Im sure Microsoft has more of a stake in it than just publisher. Either they funded development or have an absolute watertight deal on that thing. Im sure kotaku did an article on it when cliffyb announced the sequel.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Epic gave MS control over the GoW IP.
    “You have to be prepared to give up your IP rights, even ancillary rights,” he [Mark Rein, Epic VP] said, although not directly commenting on the ownership of Gears of Wars. “It’s not worth taking a bad deal and keeping the IP. Execution is a more important skill than coming up with ideas. When your track record is solid enough, you’ll get the chance to pick up the ancillary rights.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10046

BubbaT on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Snip, snip.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

That might be part of it but I think the thinking is mostly that, barring a big difference in capability, exclusive games are what could convince people to pony up for the more expensive system.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Carnivore wrote: »

I wouldn't at all be surprised if Epic gave MS control over the GoW IP.
    “You have to be prepared to give up your IP rights, even ancillary rights,” he [Mark Rein, Epic VP] said, although not directly commenting on the ownership of Gears of Wars. “It’s not worth taking a bad deal and keeping the IP. Execution is a more important skill than coming up with ideas. When your track record is solid enough, you’ll get the chance to pick up the ancillary rights.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10046

Epic made it abundantly clear to 1UP that they own the Gears of War IP, so they can do whatever the hell they want with it. Whether they take it to another publisher and then release it on 360/PS3/PC or they go back to Microsoft and release it on the 360 with a PC release later on, is completely up to Epic.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah.. two FF themed threads is confusing me. Anyway, there's still the mysterious 4th FF XIII related game to be revealed, Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII. The title was trademarked by SE as of the middle of last year.

Knowing SE it could, at this stage, be anything from an Xbox 360 action RPG to a Tetris clone for the N-Gage.
    Oh god please let this be it.

SirUltimos on