As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Custom Robo DS (NEW!) and GCN Editions

SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
The game just came out for the DS and it's been out for the GameCube for a while.

In fact, it's a BUY! on the Ultimate GC List.

I've never played the GC version, and I'm considering getting the DS version that was released this week.

Anyone? Anything? What's it all about?

[size=+3]FRIEND CODES[/size] [size=-3]b/c Bedlam is a peenar[/size]

PM WHEN YOU ADD!

Arch - 5455 5837 7002
Bedlam - 2320 2387 6528
BlueDestiny - 2577 9366 9956
Estoc - 1633 0409 3740
Green - 4897 2244 2083
Lemming - 0816 9964 9504
Lord of Meep - 0258 6566 3696
Sarksus - 1246 4984 3428
Sleep - 3952 3259 1287
Squashua - 1203 5750 0796
Taya - 2534 9875 9411
Vann Diras - 3136 2787 5994

Squashua on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Awesome, Custom Robo DS!

did the GC version ever come out in PAL, I don't remember seeing it.

This is one of those games that I only know exists because of the SSMB trophy...

LewieP on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am currently playing Custom Robo Arena

I haven't gotten very far yet, but it's a lot of fun already. We will need to get PA game ons up ins!

Lemming on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh God yes

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Damn it, I've already pissed away over $200 this month on stuff. Why must it be $250?

...:Heads to Amazon:

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Custom Robo isn't nearly as awesome as Gotcha Force, but it is pretty awesome nonetheless

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The weirdest part about the game so far is that you have to clean your robot because it gets dirty

???

Lemming on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can Custom Robo DS be played on wi-fi?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    The weirdest part about the game so far is that you have to clean your robot because it gets dirty

???

Like in Nintendogs?

I want to buy this game. I'll try picking it up tomorrow.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Yeppers.

Lemming on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I started the DS version today. It's good so far but I keep comparing it to the GCN version which I love. The GCN version had a lot of charm which seems to be missing from the DS version. It's too early to really compare them though. The story is not much to speak of so far but I think it has potential. I've already heard mention of some sort of Super Saiyan robo.

Liv and Dennis are lame compared to Harry and Maria.

I'll be kicking your asses online when I get more parts.

Taya on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »

Yeppers.

I'll give it a shot and check it out from work. If I like it, I'm buying it.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ohshitohshit it's out?! I played the hell outta it on the GC, though lack of online play hurt it for me. I finally get to test my mettle against actual people rather than the usual thrashing I give my friends if we ever touch the game. This is soooo bought'd.

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Despite it being pretty damn shallow, I actually kind of liked the story for Custom Robo GCN.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just to clarify, this game has nothing to do with Chibi-Robo, right?

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ikillkenny wrote: »
    Just to clarify, this game has nothing to do with Chibi-Robo, right?

No. It's about little customizable robots fighting in colorful arenas and the fights are usually pretty serious business.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Man.

What's up with you guys?

You gotta get your news from the right places.

For Nintendo, I go to 4colorrebellion.com

Squashua on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Picked this up last night. Definitely having fun so far, though I do wish there was a way to see what you currently have equipped when shopping for parts.

Oh, and the music that plays when you're walking around the city is kinda weird too. I'm making myself tune it out since I don't need a pseudo-electric guitar blaring in the background when I'm walking to school.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Picked this up last night. Definitely having fun so far, though I do wish there was a way to see what you currently have equipped when shopping for parts.

Oh, and the music that plays when you're walking around the city is kinda weird too. I'm making myself tune it out since I don't need a pseudo-electric guitar blaring in the background when I'm walking to school.

You just don't appreciate how hardcore this game is

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    When do I get new robo models? Ray MK II is boring. My set up right now:

Ray MK II
    Grappling gun or Flame gun
    Spider pod or Speed pod
    Burrow bomb
    Formula legs or High Jump legs

The best part of Custom Robo, not surprisingly, is customizing your robo.

Taya on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What is this game and why have I never heard of it?

rayofash on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hated custom robo for the gamecube. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Adding to the NWC thread shortly. Someone else can add what's needed for the Wiki though. Please?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    What is this game and why have I never heard of it?

Custom Robo is basically a fighting game and while it has robots doing battle against each other, it is actually pretty different from games like Armored Core and Mech Warrior. The big pull for the game is that you can customize your robot in a variety of ways before you actually start fighting. In the GameCube game there were something like six different robot types you could choose from (some specialized in jumping, some speed, others durability), a fuckton of different primary weapons, and a decent amount of subweapons. The way the game actually played is kind of like Powerstone in that you could have four players fighting on the same screen and the camera is held in a fixed position. Controls are really simple in the way that the controls for Smash Bros are simple. If I remember right you basically had a button for jump, main weapon, and subweapon. Outside of the actual fighting, I think, the game most closely resembles something like Pokemon where you are going from one person to the next doing battle. All of the NPCs are basically "trainers" that you interact with solely in order to battle your Custom Robo against his.

Overall, I thought the GameCube game was really fun and had no idea the DS game was out so soon. I may have to check this out after beating Portrait of Ruin.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I liked the GCN version, but it admittedly had some glaring problems. I might pick this one up.

Lux on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really enjoyed the GCN version, I'll have to see if I can pick this up. Oh, and BTW: Strike Vanisher models for the WTFPWN.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah Custom Robo was one of my favorite games on the Gamecube that got shit on constantly by reviews. Get three other people with you, and you have one awesome battle royale, unless of course you are the blunt of everyone's aggression. For some reason, people like to kill me first. It hurts.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    imbalanced wrote:
    For some reason, people like to kill me first. It hurts.
    I think you should either tell them how to switch targets, or stop being player one. I've totally been on the receiving end of that, and to doesn't help when people are like "I'm not listening hur hur hur, I can only aim at you". :P

Heh, I just got this game too, and I'm currently working through it. I think the cleaning mechanic is a bit silly, though it can potentally lead to some interesting tournament ideas. I can't wait till the game finally coughs up the other robos bodies though.

Estoc on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I predict that I'm going to spend way too much time posing my robo so it looks pretty in its background. It's currently sitting on the grass next to a river while wild animals frolic around.

Taya on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dammit I suddenly need this game.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Taya wrote: »
    I predict that I'm going to spend way too much time posing my robo so it looks pretty in its background. It's currently sitting on the grass next to a river while wild animals frolic around.

I'm flying out of a spaceship

I am the clear winner here

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh shit the Hurricane is awesome :D

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So it has all the same parts as the GC game, right? It has the Strike Vanishers?

In the Gamecube game I liked fitting an Acrobat to my Strike Vanisher, and when he was up in the air, he would dash around and it looked really cool!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sarksus wrote: »
    So it has all the same parts as the GC game, right? It has the Strike Vanishers?

In the Gamecube game I liked fitting an Acrobat to my Strike Vanisher, and when he was up in the air, he would dash around and it looked really cool!
    It appears to have more parts than the GameCube version. There are a ton of new robo models. Strike Vanishers are included (and probably all of the others). I've already heard talk of illegal parts too :O

Taya on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    How does this game compare with the GCN Custom Robo in terms of making good use of Pods and Bombs? I can rarely remember a case in that game when either of those were particularly decisive in my victory. Granted, it was still tons of fun, but it seemed like I was just spamming Jump, Dash and Gun all the time.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Zampano wrote: »
    How does this game compare with the GCN Custom Robo in terms of making good use of Pods and Bombs? I can rarely remember a case in that game when either of those were particularly decisive in my victory. Granted, it was still tons of fun, but it seemed like I was just spamming Jump, Dash and Gun all the time.
    I used to use Spider pods all the time in the GCN version. I'd plant them all around the arena.

The DS version is pretty similar to the GCN version when it comes to bombs and pods. The only thing I can think of is that it records your combos which is done by inflicting different types of damage on your opponent. So, to get a high combo, you need to use bombs, guns, and pods all in one combo.

There's a guy in one of the parks that you can battle under various conditions. One of his conditions is a max combo over a certain number. Combos probably also affect your exp and money or something after battle. I don't really pay attention to this stuff.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Oh man, I just played my first WFC battle, and it was awesome! The first round I got wrecked by a Ray III's sword gun, but then I fitted the Afterburner gun to my Hurricane and I was able to win my next two rounds :D

Lemming on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zampano wrote: »

Pods & Bombs in the GCN game weren't really weapons, they were more like traps. You strategically launched them to force your opponent into certain areas, or to cut off certain paths.

Lux on
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm sick and I feel like buying something. I also just got a DS Lite and I'm thinking I'd enjoy something for it rather than dealing with optimizing my PC for STALKER or waiting for Guitar Hero only to be annoyed by the wired controller and $90 price tag.

The only question I have is how does this game support voice chat with friends, as this amazon reviewer asserts?

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Funny, I just purchased this today and was wondering why I didn't see a thread on it, since I remembered several members here enjoying Custom Robo for the GC. And here it is!

It certainly is a fun game. Current setup for my robo is as follows:

Ray Mk II
    Drill Gun/Flame Gun, depending on if I think I'll need a bit more range.
    Wall Bomb (So awesome.)
    Reflection Pod (I can never hit ANYTHING with pods. Oh well.)
    Quick Jump Legs

I'm hoping that I'll be able to switch from Ray Mk II soon. It's awfully boring looking.

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You're just in time. Dinner's almost ready.

Honey, we're home!

What a day!

Welcome home, you two. Have a seat. I was just about to put dinner on the table.

Whew, that meal was fab! I'm stuffed.

Delicious as always.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm going to get ready for bed. Don't stay up too late.

Taya on