As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The psychology of human cruelty.

FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Ah, the internet. It has brought us many beautiful things, but also exposes us to a lot of man's darkest behaviors. Over the years I have seen my fair share of horrible things on the internet committed by real people to real other living beings, from some of the lovely pictures that they like to collect at sites like Ogrish and Rotten, to kittens being impaled by a crazy Asian woman with stiletto heels, to live movies of terrorists cutting through prisoner's throats while they scream in agony in (IIRC) Iraq.

Things like these (at least to me) just doesn't seem to get any less horrific to watch, every time. Although I can imagine someone becoming a little more numb or resistent to them after repeated exposure.

Yesterday though, I stumbled upon the most horrible, awful thing I have ever seen in my entire life. It's [Thanatos Edit: Nuh-uh, not here] movie of raccoons and other animals exruciatingly slowly having their skin ripped off completely and cut away with knives. They are fully alive and conscious and even live on for a good while afterwards, without their skin.

I feel just completely numb, almost paralyzed even, ever since I first saw this footage. I can't put it out of my mind. Not in my darkest dreams could I ever have imagined something as horrible as this to be even possible. Seriously, it wouldn't even come up in my mind that it would be possible for a human being to another living, sentient being. It boggles my mind like nothing else before.

Can someone explain to me how it is even possible for a human being to think of doing something like this, much less going through with it? Why don't they at least kill these completely innocent and defenseless creatures before stripping them from their skin? How does someone come up with cutting the entire skin of a raccoon while it is still alive and conscious? I'm seriously interested in how human behaviour like this comes to be psychologically. It's just beyond fucked up. Way beyond.

I thought the Saw movies (esp. the third one) were about as sick and fucked up as human imagination could possibly get, but it turns out reality is even far more horrific than the darkest fiction. I can't put this question out of my head: how is something like this possible?

hytd.jpg
Fawful on

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What benefit do they get from skinning the animals live? Is it scientists doing it? I don't fancy watching the video.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cruelty generally is all about control. If you control life and death, it can give people a power trip and/or feed certain psychological needs. If you do something horrible often enough you become desensitized to it and it becomes routine.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    What benefit do they get from skinning the animals live?
    Apparently it's so that rich ladies don't get bullet holes in their fur coats.

...Yeah.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, you just explained it.
    They valued the money gained from the slow skinning process over the animals life.
    They are either high, greedy, desperate, or horrible people.
    What's the shock? It was in Enders Game, so maybe they read that (Peter skinning animals, then placing sticks in their limbs to hold them still.)
    Edit: I didn't see the video, saving it for when I am really hungry and want to kill the hunger.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A lot of people just don't care about animals at all. They might as well be plants or rocks.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    They valued the money gained from the slow skinning process over the animals life.
    But why let them live even after their skin is cut away then? Couldn't they have at least taken their pretty little knife and put them out of their misery now that the have what they want instead of letting them lie like that on the floor for God knows how long until it is finally over?

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A lot of people just don't care about animals at all. They might as well be plants or rocks.

The people that don't care or the animals?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fawful wrote: »
    But why let them live even after their skin is cut away then? Couldn't they have at least taken their pretty little knife and put them out of their misery now that the have what they want instead of letting them lie like that on the floor for God knows how long until it is finally over?

When does the video cut away? I'm guessing at that moment they're too preoccupied putting away the skins or something. I don't see why they can't kill the animal in the first place; it's not like skin comes off any cleaner when an animal is still alive.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Humans can treat many things like they dont exist morally if they really want to. Emotional detachment is a built in feature, unfortunately.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Or they just don't care.
    I personally couldn't be an animal skinner, even if they were dead, because I like animals.
    These guys could just be sadist.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Or they just don't care.
    I personally couldn't be an animal skinner, even if they were dead, because I like animals.

Do you eat meat? Skinning dead animals isn't any different from more general butchering (in the food sense). I personally have no particular problem with fur provided the animals are treated humanely.

But yeah, power trips, etc.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Humans can treat many things like they dont exist morally if they really want to. Emotional detachment is a built in feature, unfortunately.
    But is this a feature of any human being, or do there have to be certain preconditions? Like being abused during your childhood or something or being that dirt poor (like, Third World poor) that you slowly get driven to doing things like this over years of agony? I can't imagine a normal, healthy person just waking up one day and deciding to do something like this.

It's not even so much the flaying itself, but the way it is done while they are still alive and fully conscious, hanging from their hind legs.

Also Thanatos, I don't understand why you edited the link out? Is it to prevent minors from seeing it or something? People can choose for themself to view it if they want, I'm certainly not making them (as I can't get it burned off my eyes myself). Also, I don't know if you realized but your "Nuh-uh" is really condescending and inappropriate.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    But is this a feature of any human being, or do there have to be certain preconditions? Like being abused during your childhood or something or being that dirt poor (like, Third World poor) that you slowly get driven to doing things like this over years of agony? I can't imagine a normal, healthy person just waking up one day and deciding to do something like this.

It's not even so much the falying itself, but the way it is done while they are still alive and fully conscious, hanging from their hind legs.

Also Thanatos, I don't understand why you edited the link out? Is it to prevent minors from seeing it or something? People can choose for themself to view it if they want, I'm certainly not making them (as I can't get it burned off my eyes myself). Also, I don't know if you realized but your "Nuh-uh" is really condescending.
    Links to shock videos are a violation of forum rules

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Senjutsu wrote: »

It's not even so much the falying itself, but the way it is done while they are still alive and fully conscious, hanging from their hind legs.

Also Thanatos, I don't understand why you edited the link out? Is it to prevent minors from seeing it or something? People can choose for themself to view it if they want, I'm certainly not making them (as I can't get it burned off my eyes myself). Also, I don't know if you realized but your "Nuh-uh" is really condescending.
    Links to shock videos are a violation of forum rules
    Oh ok, I didn't know that. Well it does make this discussion somewhat harder without the actual material at hand, but someone who wants to see it with his or her own eyes can likely find it via Google or send a PM.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I think it's innate, but some people find it easier than others. Suspension of empathy is a basic requirement of doing something unpleasant to another living being. I don't just mean in the gory physical sense either, it could be as basic as telling someone they're fired, going up to killing and gutting a fish, shooting and skinning an animal, etc.

japan on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    My problem with fur is that it's pretty much pure waste. The commonality of cruelty is bad too, but man, at least leather is practical. Fur really isn't. There are other materials that do what it does better at an absurdly lower cost.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not to say this is always the case (as many of these people are just sick, twisted individuals), but I think this is true in several cases. My Dad has told me stories about my Grandaddy, who was a farmer, that I just couldn't believe. He would kill dogs at a moment's notice for very minor reasons, or kill chickens by snapping their necks like a whip (at which point they would still run around, their head hanging limply by their body), or many other things that people would generally consider cruel. However, it wasn't that he was a cruel person - he simply held no value for these animals. Like you said, as far as he was concerned, those animals may as well have been a bag of rocks.

Growing up, I could see how that influence rubbed off on my Dad as well. He was never specifically cruel to animals, but he hated them, and didn't like the pets we had growing up. He usually seemed glad when they would eventually die and he'd get to go bury them. However, I know he isn't a cruel person either - he's actually probably the most gentle and caring person I've ever known. Some people just don't believe that anything but human life has any inherent value, and animal cruelty has about the same effect on them as cutting down a tree. It just doesn't mean anything.

That said, there's a big difference between people like that and those who do it intentionally for sadistic purposes. My Grandaddy never had a problem killing animals, but he never did it just for fun either.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    However, I know he isn't a cruel person either - he's actually probably the most gentle and caring person I've ever known.
    Not trying to be insulting to your dad, just curious -- but could you make an objective assessment of how far his gentleness and caring for others actually goes so we could paint a better picture of him? I fully believe that is your perception of him and it is probably completely true, but is it purely to his family, friends and other people he knows and likes or (more extreme) towards complete strangers and perhaps even criminals or personal enemies, i.e. all people in general?

Because I think it would be more likely to be the first, which would in turn stem, at least partially, from a sort of self interest and not so much from altruism or something like that like you might imagine. Because I find it very hard to rhyme the way he regards and behaves towards animals (specifically pets) with a complete and utter gentleness and caring for other people. How can anybody be so caring and gentle towards people and yet so cold towards pets, which produce like an automatic (in fact, I think it's psychologically built in) "awww, how cute" response from like 90% of the rest of humankind? It just doesn't match.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Or they just don't care.

Do you eat meat? Skinning dead animals isn't any different from more general butchering (in the food sense). I personally have no particular problem with fur provided the animals are treated humanely.

In my defense, meat is delicious, and I would think that the treatment of animals has improved in the meat business (but I'm probably just kidding myself)

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    However, I know he isn't a cruel person either - he's actually probably the most gentle and caring person I've ever known.
    Not trying to be insulting to your dad, just curious -- but could you make an objective assessment of how far his gentleness and caring for others actually goes so we could paint a better picture of him? I fully believe that is your perception of him and it is probably completely true, but is it purely to his family, friends and other people he knows and likes or (more extreme) towards complete strangers and perhaps even criminals or personal enemies, i.e. all people in general?

Because I think it would be more likely to be the first, which would in turn stem, at least partially, from a sort of self interest and not so much from altruism or something like that like you might imagine. Because I find it very hard to rhyme the way he regards and behaves towards animals (specifically pets) with a complete and utter gentleness and caring for other people. How can anybody be so caring and gentle towards people and yet so cold towards pets, which produce like an automatic (in fact, I think it's psychologically built in) "awww, how cute" response from like 90% of the rest of humankind? It just doesn't match.

It's also possible that the reason he hates pets is because he has already had to see so many animals die and knows that that's something pets will inevitably do. Or maybe he's teribly allergic. Pseudo-psychoanalysis is not sufficient justification to moralise at people.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Or they just don't care.

In my defense, meat is delicious, and I would think that the treatment of animals has improved in the meat business (but I'm probably just kidding myself)

Depends on the brand. Same for eggs.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And Fur.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And in my experience, better-treated animals taste way better.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yet another advantage of kosher hot dogs (and kosher meat in general) is that the animal has to be killed humanely.
    Thank god I live in Chicago.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It's also possible that the reason he hates pets is because he has already had to see so many animals die and knows that that's something pets will inevitably do.
    That is actually a very interesting and plausible explanation. I didn't think of that, but it would explain a lot. A fallacy of the argument would be that it extends to people as well though, albeit on a lesser scale (scince people live like, what, 7 times longer than pets on average?).
    Or maybe he's teribly allergic. Pseudo-psychoanalysis is not sufficient justification to moralise at people.
    Honestly, I wasn't trying to do that at all, just trying to learn more about the way his dad's mind works. Sorry if it sounded that way (English is not my first language so sometimes things come out different than I intend but I try my best).

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so, wait

nobody picked up on how the OP was all 'oh yah whatever' about the screaming dieing guys in iraq, but was like 'OH MY GAWD' at skinning animals?

Serpent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    so, wait

nobody picked up on how the OP was all 'oh yah whatever' about the screaming dieing guys in iraq, but was like 'OH MY GAWD' at skinning animals?
    Are you blind or just an idiot? Did you not see what I said about the Iraq vid, kitten stiletto's, etc.:
    Things like these (at least to me) just doesn't seem to get any less horrific to watch, every time.

I almost had to throw up after that Iraq video. It was just that it was over significantly sooner (still took an excruciatingly long time though) than the way those raccoons were killed, which just seemed to go on and on forever. But of course it was just as horrific and awful.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Yet another advantage of kosher hot dogs (and kosher meat in general) is that the animal has to be killed humanely.

Well, it can be argued how humane it is to be killed by having your throat slit and hung upside down until exanguinated.

Echo on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Humans all choose or are trained in what they consider valuable.

Some people only value individuals.

Some people value one type of thing (Animal, Human, Plant, Imaginary Friend, whatever), despite what we assume is the natural value of things.

It's somewhat common knowledge by now that plants have some sort of pain response.

Almost nobody cares.

It's commonly known that animals suffer.

Many people care, many people don't. Children are often absolutely oblivious to it, maybe thanks to stuffed animals or animals being punished for defending themselves against the grabby brats. Many people HAVE to cease to care in some degree in order to survive in their environment or at their job, and some people take that waaaay too far.

Humans are just one more breed of animal we have the most training towards caring about. But history and the present show how little that training does overall.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

It's also possible that the reason he hates pets is because he has already had to see so many animals die and knows that that's something pets will inevitably do. Or maybe he's teribly allergic. Pseudo-psychoanalysis is not sufficient justification to moralise at people.
    Actually, allergies are probably a big part of it. He's hugely allergic to dogs and cats, so I'm sure that affects his outlook. Also, I probably shouldn't have said "hate", because that's not quite right. Strong indifference would probably be more accurate.

To address your question, Fawful, it's true that I probably see him in a more positive light than others would simply because of my relationship to him. However, I would definitely say that his attitude towards other people is not contained just to those he is familiar with. Even with complete strangers, he's incredibly patient and kind toward them. He gives money and time to charity, he keeps his cool when people wrong him (way more than I do, for sure), and I've never heard him speak negatively of anyone.

It's strange, I agree - I love animals, especially dogs, and his indifference to them has always bothered me. But based on everything I and others have seen from him over the years, I can only conclude that that attitude is limited only to animals, and not humans. And surprisingly, there are many people who seem to have this same outlook - they don't desire to be cruel to animals, but they could care less what happens to them. I don't understand it either, but I've seen far too many (anectodal, true) cases of it to think that there's anything else going on there. How anyone could find a baby adorable but not a puppy is beyond me, but I guess it happens.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's worth noting that depending where you ask, a lot of people will tell you that animals don't have souls.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I feel just completely numb, almost paralyzed even, ever since I first saw this footage. I can't put it out of my mind. Not in my darkest dreams could I ever have imagined something as horrible as this to be even possible. Seriously, it wouldn't even come up in my mind that it would be possible for a human being to another living, sentient being. It boggles my mind like nothing else before.
    I don't know... I don't hold animals at no value at all, but stuff that is done to other humans bothers me more than I think things like this ever could.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

The meat industry is more assembly-line style, particularly in the states. Cruelty is not merely outlawed, it is also inefficient. Once an animal is put down quickly, it can be processed more easily. Doesn't stop PETA from circulating outdated, 30+ year old videos of conditions at a couple of plants chosen specifically because of their documented violations.

A lot of people just never grew up, were never made to value or respect life of any kind. When a boy hits that stage where he thinks it's fun to hurt animals, siblings, or other kids, somebody has to teach him a lesson about reciprocity. Most of us either got bitten by the dog, scratched by the cat, knocked on our ass by our sibling, or stood up to by a classmate at this stage in our lives, and we learned our lesson. We didn't become bullies or sadists, because we were made to realize, with the clarity of firsthand knowledge, that hurting or being hurt isn't fun.

Well, some people never had that formative experience, and it shows. They still see inflicting pain as a source of fun.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It's worth noting that depending where you ask, a lot of people will tell you that animals don't have souls.

But neither do Humans.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I guess I am also wondering why you keep watching videos like this if they bother you so much.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Tiemler wrote: »

The meat industry is more assembly-line style, particularly in the states. Cruelty is not merely outlawed, it is also inefficient. Once an animal is put down quickly, it can be processed more easily. Doesn't stop PETA from circulating outdated, 30+ year old videos of conditions at a couple of plants chosen specifically because of their documented violations.

A lot of people just never grew up, were never made to value or respect life of any kind. When a boy hits that stage where he thinks it's fun to hurt animals, siblings, or other kids, somebody has to teach him a lesson about reciprocity. Most of us either got bitten by the dog, scratched by the cat, knocked on our ass by our sibling, or stood up to by a classmate at this stage in our lives, and we learned our lesson. We didn't become bullies or sadists, because we were made to realize, with the clarity of firsthand knowledge, that hurting or being hurt isn't fun.

Well, some people never had that formative experience, and it shows. They still see inflicting pain as a source of fun.

Oh boy, more pseudo-psychoanalysis. I never had that formative experience. I learned what it meant to be hurt before I got it in my head to hurt someone else for fun. So does this mean I see inflicting pain as a source of fun?

Edit: To clarify, I have inflicted pain before, and probably will again many times in the future. Is fun my motive?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

A neighbor kid, back when I was a youngin', once tried to argue that he had a right be cruel to a fence lizard on our property because his deity made them for people.

My instinct was to break the kid's neck.

But instead I went with no.

That time.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Drez wrote: »

But neither do Humans.

You pushed us closer to the edge, and now we are teetering on the brink, Drez! :shock:

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

But neither do Humans.

You pushed us closer to the edge, and now we are teetering on the brink, Drez! :shock:

I'm a thinker.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    mrflippy wrote: »
    I don't know... I don't hold animals at no value at all, but stuff that is done to other humans bothers me more than I think things like this ever could.
    I think this is my attitude as well. I do care about animal cruelty, and I would never want animals to suffer needlessly. However, I am far more affected by human tragedy than anything that could happen to animals. This seems like common sense, but I'm amazed by the way some people can see a triple-homicide on the news and not bat an eye, but then make a huge deal about a malnourished dog or something. It seems like many people these days are far more sensitive to animal cruelty than to human violence, and I think that's a real problem.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch