As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout 3: Mutants Allowed! (GI Scans in OP.) (NSF56K)

vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
GI Scans!

http://i9.tinypic.com/53hsaat.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/6bmmc1k.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/674yzd3.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/62h1jk3.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/673qhat.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/4mbxjpj.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/61xoo4l.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/625zl9l.jpg
http://i11.tinypic.com/6heo2ys.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/4qf7djq.jpg

memorial_m.jpg
stripmallmie0.jpg
carrier_m.jpg
capitol_m.jpg
918428_20070503_screen001.jpg

Today, though, Bethesda revealed that it will give the world its first look at Fallout 3 on June 5. That's when the countdown touted on the recently launched official Web site for the game will end and a teaser trailer for the game will go live. (The trailer will also be available on GameSpot.) The once-bare site also now sports the Fallout 3 theme, which sounds much more serious than its ironic predecessors and concept art (pictured). A rep for Bethesda says the latter will be updated weekly as the trailer's debut approaches.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170006.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

Very interesting... soon we may be able to see just how well Bethesda will do with Fallout. Thoughts or specualtion? Do you think Bethesda will be able to do it or will they drop the ball?

NEW INFO! Thanks for the post Carnivore:
Bethesda Softworks Announces Award-Winning Actor
Liam Neeson to Play Lead Role in Fallout 3
Famed Actor to Provide Voice Work in Game Developed by
Bethesda Softworks, Creators of the 2006 Game of the Year

May 8, 2007 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks® is pleased to announce that highly acclaimed international actor Liam Neeson will lead the cast providing voice work in Fallout 3. Neeson will play the role of the player’s father and will appear prominently throughout the game. Fallout 3 is currently under development at Bethesda Game Studios, creators of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion®, which won numerous Game of the Year and RPG of the Year awards in 2006.

“This role was written with Liam in mind, and provides the dramatic tone for the entire game,” said Todd Howard, Executive Producer of Fallout 3. “Liam is absolutely amazing to work with.”

Neeson is known for starring roles in blockbuster films such as Schindler’s List, Star Wars: Episode I, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Batman Begins. Throughout his illustrious career, Neeson has been the recipient of numerous honors for his work in film and theater, including Academy Award, Golden Globe and Tony Award nominations.

“It’s been a pleasure bringing the father to life and working with the wonderfully talented people at Bethesda on Fallout 3,” said Neeson. “I hope the fans of the franchise and the game will be excited by the results.”

No other details on Fallout 3 have yet been revealed by Bethesda. More information will be coming in the next few months.

New "Info" on Fallout 3 from GI:

- Game runs on an evolved version of the Oblivion engine. Third person view has been reworked since the verdict was that the Oblivion version sucked balls.

- Game starts with your birth and your mother's death in a vault hospital. This is essentially the character customization part of the game. Your father hands you up to have your DNA analyzed and you get to pick out all your character traits. Your dad takes off his mask to reveal similar traits to the ones you picked.

- You grow up in the vault and as you grow you get your first book titled "You're Special" which allows you to choose you baseline stats for each of your 7 primary aptitudes. You'll also get your first weapons and wrist computer (menu) as you get older you'll take tests to determine the initial layout of your skills and traits.

- Every aspect of character creation is based on S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system. Of your 14 skills you can tag 3 to grow at a faster rate than the rest as you level up.

- Battle system is called the Vault-tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.). The article states. "While you'll certainly be able to tackle enemies in real time using first person shooting, V.A.T.S. lets players pause time and select a target at their leisure". Battle system still uses action points, but once you've used them up you'll still be able to fight targets in real time while they charge back up.

- Game is still violent and gory. One of the featured screens is of a guy's head exploding in super gory detail. Apparently all gory deaths in the game will be in slow motion.

- More than one way to play the game. Go balls out and kill people, or sneak past situations, or perhaps talk your way out of situations.

- Enemies can target you just like you can target them, so you can get injured in very specific points on you body. This is in addition to an all new health/radiation system. This new system has you measuring how radiated certain things (like water) are and how they affect you when you consume them.

- Karma system returns

- XP based system, most XP comes from quests

- Level cap is 20

- 9 - 12 possible endings based on your actions in the game

- No level scaling like oblivion, you walk into a high level area, you die horribly.

- There are NPC's you can hire, but this is not a party based game.

Sob24Nm.png
Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
vegeta_666 on

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This will be hands down awesome.

I don't care what people from NMA say. This will kick ass.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Great, but shouldn't the music be from the 50's? ZOZMG THIS ISN'T FALLOUT!!!11

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This'll be awesome, Bethesda aren't going to put out a terrible game, especially one this huge.
    I've never played a Fallout game

Blakout on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oblivion with guns?

I would like that.

Fuck isometric. Lets be honest, the only thing making people want that for the 3rd game is nostalgia.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Teaser, not trailer.

All it will show is maybe some landscapes and a logo.

JJ on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'll quote myself from the other FO thread, since I think it's nifty:
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Craig Mullins did some (all?) of the concept art for this game.

:)

JJ wrote: »
    Teaser, not trailer.

All it will show is maybe some landscapes and a logo.

It's likely they'll unveil the game in a magazine/press releases/screens to accompany the teaser.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wouldn't mind isometric. I wouldn't really mind first person either, I just want it to be good.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    In retrospect, Bethesda were probably some of the best people to pick up the fallout liscense. They are, after all, heavily invested in created very open ended single player RPG's.

This had better be great.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Their inability to make handsome/beautiful people should fit in well with all the mutants and everything.

JJ on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i predict an internet explosion, shortly after the beginning of next month.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This will be hands down awesome.

I don't care what people from NMA say. This will kick ass.

NMA lol

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They should start the trailer with an isometric presentation, playing like that for a little while, and then zoom in to first person. It would be such an awesome "Hey, we're doing something new" move, and at the same time a big "Fuck you NMA" for good measure.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    After so long of a wait there will inevitably be naysayers, as the hardcore fan-base for fallout is immense. As a fan of all things fallout (1,2, tactics) I just want something at this point, a piece of human excriment with the fallout logo would suffice. I am sure Betheseda can meet and beat my needs.

Brue on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kind of ironic the Van Buren alpha was released today.

tofu on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I do associate Fallout with 50s music (mostly because there wasn't any noteworthy music in the older games), but that theme is really kickass. It's like Planescape meets Conan or something.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I do associate Fallout with 50s music (mostly because there wasn't any noteworthy music in the older games), but that theme is really kickass. It's like Planescape meets Conan or something.

The music playing on the website sounds a lot like the type of music that is played while on the Main Menu screen of Fallout 1 or 2.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the music for the first two fallout games was important in setting the mood. Especially the first one. Watching the commercials and listening to the music it was like; here's everything that 50's sci-fi promised us, the glowing future lit by cheap energy and cleaned by robots. Everyone's happy and...hey, why's he shooting that guy in the back of the head? As the camera pans out and the full implications of the scene you've just watch hit home you realize the promise has been broken, the dream is shattered and that the future is shit. The song recalls the days of that dream, but do you see it as an age of fools who reaped what they had sown or as the bright past which might once again be our future?

Fuck it, I'm a math teacher, not a poet. The intro was real good.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm dying to see how fallout 3 turns out...and this is coming from someone who never played fallout 1 or 2 (I've been meaning to for the past couple of years but I never did get around to buying it)

Well 34 days it is

Pat_McRoch on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Pat_McRoch wrote: »
    I'm dying to see how fallout 3 turns out...and this is coming from someone who never played fallout 1 or 2 (I've been meaning to for the past couple of years but I never did get around to buying it)

Well 34 days it is

DO IT!

Seriously, Fallout is one of the few games I keep coming back to. The stories are great, the gameplay is great, the character creation is great, the writing is great...it's just great.

Great.

...great.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    I think the music for the first two fallout games was important in setting the mood. Especially the first one. Watching the commercials and listening to the music it was like; here's everything that 50's sci-fi promised us, the glowing future lit by cheap energy and cleaned by robots. Everyone's happy and...hey, why's he shooting that guy in the back of the head? As the camera pans out and the full implications of the scene you've just watch hit home you realize the promise has been broken, the dream is shattered and that the future is shit. The song recalls the days of that dream, but do you see it as an age of fools who reaped what they had sown or as the bright past which might once again be our future?

Fuck it, I'm a math teacher, not a poet. The intro was real good.

The music used during intros and endings for Fallout always stood apart from the music used in most of the game. The music in the game had some nice details in it as well, but not everyone got to hear them. My old pentium 2 450 mhz system's sound hardware was able to play small details that added a lot, like aboriginal style calls or drums or something in the Arroyo music, that my more modern machines don't seem to pick up on. A shame that people only recently discovering the games probably won't be able to hear the music at its fullest due to whatever weird way BIS did audio coding.

Anyway, I'm picturing the music on the official site playing during some momentous occasion, like when you first step outside of a vault or cave or whatever and get your first glimpse of what it looks like out there. It makes me feel happy in the pants.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Let me look into my crystal ball and make a prophetic statement about this trailer....
    NMA will hate it.

Furu on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know

Having played S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I really hope they stick with the 'isometric' view instead of taking this as a First Person Shooter.

Rotateable, of course, so you can properly view your surroundings

But, I mean, I walked into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with fallout in mind and I really didn't have as much fun with it as I had with Fallout. It'd translate into a FPS manageably well, but there's something to be said for the original.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Let me look into my crystal ball and make a prophetic statement about anything and everything....
    NMA will hate it.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    another vote for keeping things isometric, here

but obviously im going to play the crap out of this whatever direction they take it in

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Here's another vote for both isometric and turn based. With a hex map. There aren't enough hex maps now-a-days.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    snip

Anyway, I'm picturing the music on the official site playing during some momentous occasion, like when you first step outside of a vault or cave or whatever and get your first glimpse of what it looks like out there. It makes me feel happy in the pants.

On their forums a Bethesda dude has said that it's the title theme, so it'll prolly only be played on the title screen and maybe the opening CG video.

Has Fallout ever had a title theme at the title menu where you select new game/load game etc.? I seem to remember it only having ambient noise, or nothing rather than music playing then.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    S.S. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't like the music. It should be ambient.

S. on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You know

I really hope they stick with the 'isometric' view instead of taking this as a First Person Shooter.

But, I mean, I walked into S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with fallout in mind and I really didn't have as much fun with it as I had with Fallout. It'd translate into a FPS manageably well, but there's something to be said for the original.

I've said it before, but STALKER's approach to atmosphere is different from Fallout's even if there are similarities. STALKER uses a lot of make you piss yourself and go fetal in your own urine moments which first person works very well for. Fallout's atmosphere is one of desolation mixed with hope for the future. While it would be scary and cool to turn a corner and see a pack of deathclaws charging you from the darkness of a cave, it's not the kind of thing Fallout has gone for the past.

Being able to watch children running around you and playing despite being born into a post-apocalyptic hellhole while other townspeople go about their daily lives without having to look directly at them to see life returning to some semblance of normalcy is a part of the Fallout atmosphere. Good use of sound could do something similar with a first person view of course.

You know, before you slip sticks of primed TNT into their pockets and run off giggling.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Clevinger wrote: »
    snip

On their forums a Bethesda dude has said that it's the title theme, so it'll prolly only be played on the title screen and maybe the opening CG video.

Has Fallout ever had a title theme at the title menu where you select new game/load game etc.? I seem to remember it only having ambient noise, or nothing rather than music playing then.

All I can hear when I loaded the two up just now and tested is the ambient desert music.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I imagine a first person view would also work much, much better than isometric for conveying the desolation of the deserts and wastelands.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You know

I've said it before, but STALKER's approach to atmosphere is different from Fallout's even if there are similarities. STALKER uses a lot of make you piss yourself and go fetal in your own urine moments which first person works very well for. Fallout's atmosphere is one of desolation mixed with hope for the future. While it would be scary and cool to turn a corner and see a pack of deathclaws charging you from the darkness of a cave, it's not the kind of thing Fallout has gone for the past.

Being able to watch children running around you and playing despite being born into a post-apocalyptic hellhole while other townspeople go about their daily lives without having to look directly at them to see life returning to some semblance of normalcy is a part of the Fallout atmosphere. Good use of sound could do something similar with a first person view of course.

You know, before you slip sticks of primed TNT into their pockets and run off giggling.

I would be happy with a camera system akin to Warcraft 3... or maybe Dawn of War. Yeah, Dawn of War. You have a primarily isometric view that you can pan in and zoom right up to things to check them out and get a good look, immerse yourself in things, but when combat comes up you can pan that camera right out and assess what you're up against easily.

The scary atmosphere of STALKER is definitely a completely different mood than that of Fallout, but I was referring to it mostly as a 'first-person postnuclear shooter' because it was the closest comparison I could come up to with Fallout off the top of my head. Shooting and running and doing stuff in that game (Stalker) just feels a bit unweildy and it makes me uncomfortable about the idea of a FPS fallout. Not to mention how impossibly frustrating I would find it - if they FPS'd fallout, they'd either have to get rid of weapon skills or implement them in a very irritating way. Example: I have a poor small guns skill, and when I get a pistol/smg and try shooting that thing, maybe they'd put in a large amount of inaccuracy and the bullets wouldn't go where I was aiming. I don't know about you guys, but I would find that super-annoying after a while, and I always liked the percentage system fallout had going on where you got an idea of 'well, shooting at that would be a waste of time since it's only 10%'.

Ein on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's another vote for both isometric and turn based. With a hex map. There aren't enough hex maps now-a-days.

Yeah! Let's stick to the technical limitations of ten years ago!

I really don't fucking understand this sentiment at all.

Fallout was awesome because of its atmosphere and a lot of its dialogue...the rest is just the glue holding it together. Using a new kind of glue won't take away from that, and if anything will make it better.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    ImprovidentImprovident Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm kind of bummed with the music and I hope they go back to the old intro style. The tip of the hat to the end of Dr. Strangelove really set the mood for the rest of the game. This is... much different. It's not dark humor, it's just dark. Are they going to get all serious with the PiPboy and whatnot, too? Ditch all the campy retro-art? That would suck.

Improvident on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm kind of bummed with the music and I hope they go back to the old intro style. The tip of the hat to the end of Dr. Strangelove really set the mood for the rest of the game. This is... much different. It's not dark humor, it's just dark. Are they going to get all serious with the PiPboy and whatnot, too? Ditch all the campy retro-art? That would suck.

How exactly are you drawing all these conclusions about the game from a single piece of concept art and one song?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Needless to say, no matter what they do with this I will buy about twenty, one for each boner the thought of fallout 3 gives me

Ein on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm getting tempted to stop and pick up Fallout 1 and/or 2 on the way home from class.

Blakout on
  • Options
    ImprovidentImprovident Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How exactly are you drawing all these conclusions about the game from a single piece of concept art and one song?

Massive speculation, obviously. How else?

Improvident on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Suriko wrote: »
    I imagine a first person view would also work much, much better than isometric for conveying the desolation of the deserts and wastelands.

Here's the thing, you don't actually spend much time in Fallout actually looking at desert and wasteland. Most of the time you're in cities, occasionally a dungeon of some sort. The only time you really see desert and wasteland without stuff build on it is during random encounters. Since overworld travel is done by a click and point map, the desolate atmosphere has been conveyed more by what people do and ask you to do than by the landscape. Oh, and by the subdued music in some areas though in Fallout 2, things had improved in terms of rebuilding and the music was less subdued.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2007

We've seen the campy retro-art already, it's what they had up as a placeholder on the official site before and a stand at E3s. They haven't ditched that considering how it was the only media we had related to the game for the past 2 years or so.

And to my knowledge, at no time has the intro used for any Fallout game been hinted at or released far in advance. The only time that style gets used is during the intro and during the credits/ending so it's not something that gets focused on.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So excited.

So very, very excited.

Yall on
This discussion has been closed.