As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All Day D&D On Saturday. (No, really this time.)

TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
I know it was awesome in '05.
I know I slept through it in '06.
I know that by Deus ex Machina, that this year will be the best damn one ever.
Who's with me!?!

TL;DR:
All day* D&D Saturday in table top free play.

*11am - an hour before the concerts

EDITS:
It's a pick up game. Play as long or as little as you like.
There may be more than one game going on.
Ideally there will be 10 people playing at a time.
Everyone is welcome to play!

GAME ELEMENTS:
... such as setting, characters, and some plot will be posted here shortly.

TomExMachina on

• Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Again, I throw my hat into the ring, and I express my desire to play some effing D&D. WOOOO!

Officer on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    woot.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow. Man, I dunno, giving up a whole day of PAX? Maybe.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    Wow. Man, I dunno, giving up a whole day of PAX? Maybe.

it's not quite the whole day, plus anything you miss can easily be made up between friday and sunday.

If you pre reged that is

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm in if it doesn't conflict with the D&D Duels. That is, assuming we have them this year. :-D

GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    it's going to be a pickup game. I have copies of story line to give to new players. Char sheets will be premade (you may bring your own, but not nore than level 5.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    TempusTempus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I haven't played PnP AD&D in... umm.. 15 years? I'd love the chance to introduce my girlfriend to it as well. I'm down.

Tempus on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tempus wrote: »
    I haven't played PnP AD&D in... umm.. 15 years? I'd love the chance to introduce my girlfriend to it as well. I'm down.

Grand! it will be very simple, the idea being that anyone walking past can pick up a character sheet and play.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Smart move with the pre-gens, that is really the key to running a quick game.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have 15 made up so far, I want to have at least 20 by the time of PAX.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    20 pre-gens, damn how big a game are you planing on running? Seriously though I think your probably going to end up confusing people with too many options with 20 pre-gens to choose from. But I bet your having fun making them.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    well, i would like for there to be 10 people at at a time. The game will be ok at 5, and crowded at 15 the way I have it set up now. I just want to have a really wide variety of characters to choose from. Each one is rather basic. the game is being played at a modified level 5. More info on the exact workings of it to come.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I have run large games before, and in my experince really anymore than 6 players causes play to slow to a crawl.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    So far playtesting has shown otherwise. if it gets to big, i do have a second story that i worked on and will be happy to pass off to someone else. Char sheets included.

I have had two years to work on this lol... I tried to cover every angle

I do appreciate the "criticism". It helps to make sure that I have it covered so, keep it coming!

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sorry tom I wasn't meaning to criticize you. If you have had good luck running large groups then more power too you. I was just saying my experience is that too many players equals huge amounts of down time between each players turn and battles tend to go much slower. You also increase the tendency for players to do something really dumb because they are tired of not getting enough attention. "I am so tired of waiting for the stealthy half of the party to finish checking this hallway, so I am just going to open this door over here." That kind of thing. In smaller groups you tend to get more cooperation as well, interparty conflict goes by the way side when the death of one member could cause a TPK.

This is just my experience. I actually recently had to kill off a regular campaign because the group had grown to big. So I had to break up the group and then reform it with a smaller sub group of people. SO much better again. No one texting on their cell phone, no one wandering off, no one needing a recap every time it is their turn. Much better for me the DM as well. Especially since CR's are based off 4 to 6 PC's.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds cool man. A few small games with mixed parties oughta be a blast. I'll have to remember to look up the free-play dnd area this time around.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    No, no. No reason to be sorry, all ideas , hints, tips, advice, flames and insults are welcome. I know exactly what you mean about the neglect part, but I do hope *crosses fingers* to have that part taken care of. I can't give any details since it would just be spoilerific, but I do have some things planned for that one too. I didnt think to much of it, assuming that most people would be somewhat mature enough to "get over it" but that's not realistic. You bringing it up got me thinking about tweaking it a little. So, as i said, feel free to ask, help, and be a jerk lol. That's what the internet is for! (not saying you were a jerk)

Now for something completely different.

There will be tiny snippets of information being released about the game so if you are interested, do check back here.

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Whats the experience level you are willing to put up with?

I haven't played since... hold on doing some math... 1986. While we are starting some casual weekly get together style campaigning this week, I don't think thats going to make me much of a pro by the time PAX rolls around.

I would like to play with some experienced players though, so I can learn by osmosis.

TheMayor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It's a lot easier to play nowadays, and all skill levels are welcome and invited!

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sorry guys (if anyone actually cared), it looks like it won't be happening...

TomExMachina on
  • Options
    JohJoh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There goes my saturday plan!

I could probably take over the helm for you if you'd like, if you don't mind sharing your resources.

Joh on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    G.U.R.P.S. 4 lyfe! Fight the tyranny of d20!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.