As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mechaton - Giant Fighty (Lego) Robots!

HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Alternate title: I do to you now the enormous hurt!
quadmechlegotw0.jpg

The purpose of this post is to announce that I'll be running/demoing Mechaton in the tabletop area, times TBA. What is Mechaton, you ask? Quite simply, it is awesome on skates. It's a tabletop strategy game played with Lego mecha, duking it out, losing pieces, and struggling for control of vital points. Battletech with removable parts, you might call it. I'll be bringing a supply of mechs, attachments, etc., as well as some scenery, but anyone who wants to play is welcome to field their own armies.

You can find information about the game here, if you dig. I'll be bringing the rulebook (all 10 pages of it!), so all you really need to bring is a sunny disposition and a desire to play with Legos. If you would like to bring some mechs, they should be about this size, though of course they can look like anything.

If you're interested, just post something so I know how much time to devote to this. If only 3 people want to check it out, I don't need a whole lot of kit.

hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
HotSake on

• Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I may be up for this depending on when/whats going on

curse you time! making me cram so much awesome into one tiny weekend!

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I fully intend to crush or be crushed by tiny plastic mechs of destrution.

God I <3 Legos.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I want to check this out. I'll swing by there depending on when you do it and what my schedule is like. Don't plan on me, I'll just check it out if I can.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So your telling me I can turn all my old legos from when I was a kid into a mech and fight other peoples lego mechs in a RPG table-top game? This has to be one of the coolest ideas for PAX so far.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's a tabletop game using the figures which we played a game of last year, but this looks like a pretty awesome idea that I'll have to check out!

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    b0wser wrote: »
    There's a tabletop game using the figures which we played a game of last year, but this looks like a pretty awesome idea that I'll have to check out!
    Yeah, Brikwars was fun, but this'll be a nice change of pace. The rules are a lot simpler (not that we bothered much with rules last year), and this one gives me a mechgasm. You'll recall I brought two mechs and a jeep last year anyway. I guess this is the game I was subconsciously yearning to play.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmm, I'll actually have to try this out. Maybe I'll bring some Legos too, who knows.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I want to bring my 12" pose able Alien queen and battle it out with your Lego mechs. That would be pimp.

alienqueenzm0.jpg

If you were to guess, what would be the stats of the Alien queen in this Mechaton game? She is well armored but only has short range attacks.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    smessmes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This sounds pretty sick. Where would we be playing it?

smes on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I will be attempting to read through the rules and building some mechs of my own. I am super excited about this.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I want to bring my 12" pose able Alien queen and battle it out with your Lego mechs. That would be pimp.

alienqueenzm0.jpg

If you were to guess, what would be the stats of the Alien queen in this Mechaton game? She is well armored but only has short range attacks.

If action figures are allowed, let me bring my beefy Transformers collection...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Only if you're comfortable breaking pieces off them. And the bigger the unit, the bigger the disadvantage, since it's easy to get in range of it.

Alien queen? As a mech, she'd probably be 2 close range attachments and 2 shield attachments. Tough, slow, and killer up close.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    Only if you're comfortable breaking pieces off them. And the bigger the unit, the bigger the disadvantage, since it's easy to get in range of it.

Alien queen? As a mech, she'd probably be 2 close range attachments and 2 shield attachments. Tough, slow, and killer up close.

It sounds like it would be a lot easier if everyone sticks to LEGOs :) Or how about a LEGO alien queen?

1hrgalien-rsidefull.jpg

aliens.jpg

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I made some mecha and I will definitely be taking part in this. I might buy a cheap camera to take some pictures.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone know if the LEGO store at the Bellevue Square Mall sells individual bricks? I may be able to build something out of what I have, but I think I'm far more likely to have luck with a LEGO store.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Anyone want me to build a much larger superpowered mech to have like a 10 Vs. 1 match.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Anyone want me to build a much larger superpowered mech to have like a 10 Vs. 1 match.

HotSake is more familiar with the game than me, but I don't believe the game is really balanced against that. That is to say the points are different than Warhammer or Battletech.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The mechs are all pretty much the same size/power scale. Obviously each mech has different attachments, but the name of game is simplicity, so it's not really set up to handle wildly different unit values. All mechs are roughly equivalent, in other words.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    Runningblind0913Runningblind0913 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Count me in, looks like awesome.

Runningblind0913 on
  • Options
    AerothornAerothorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sounds cool to me. When is it? How long does it take?

Aerothorn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Aerothorn wrote: »
    Sounds cool to me. When is it? How long does it take?

Depends if we do the short game or the long game, and how many people play at once. I plan to be there for at least a few hours. I suppose now's as good a time as any to ask when people would be most likely to come to tabletop and check it out. What time works best for you?

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    majin23xmajin23x Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Now that the schedule's up.. best for me is not during an omegathon event :). Since you'll be there for several hours, I'm pretty sure I can make it there whenever.

majin23x on
    **Still Undefeated at Jenga!**
  • Options
    tacticspenguintacticspenguin Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to see if I can bring along some of my lego robots to this as well, just some quick questions:

1. Do we have a hex map available, or how do you measure?

2. Are optional rules in effect? (dual-range weapons with one dice each range, doubling up weapons in one range means you add in a d8, one-shot rockets?)

tacticspenguin on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to see if I can bring along some of my lego robots to this as well, just some quick questions:

1. Do we have a hex map available, or how do you measure?

2. Are optional rules in effect? (dual-range weapons with one dice each range, doubling up weapons in one range means you add in a d8, one-shot rockets?)

I plan to use all those rules, and I have a measuring implement for marking out ranges. I was planning to just take over a Warhammer table like we did last year for BrikWars, but if you happen to bring a hex sheet we could use that.

Alright, schedule: Unless I hear otherwise, I'll be in tabletop starting at 6 PM SATURDAY. I'll stay as long as people are interested.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm interested. What rules should n00bs keep in mind to start with?

Like, is there a n00b division? :-D

GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I'm not planning to run a tourney or anything. I mostly want to introduce new players to the game. The rules are really easy to pick up, so don't worry about being a noob. I haven't played that much myself. Also, if anyone wants to suggest another time to play, go ahead and post it here. My schedule is fairly open.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    GodOfCheeseGodOfCheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I assume we must bring legos. Will those of us with only mediocre collections be at a substantial disadvantage?

GodOfCheese on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text <3 Moe
    Behold the power of cheese.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    staplersareshinystaplersareshiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No, he's bringing the legos and dice.

staplersareshiny on
    466B29B67FEF7.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for hosting this HotSake, it was a lot of fun. I will be posting pictures from this. This is something that I will definitely be doing again next year.

I have one remaining question HotSake, where did you get those awesome sets of die?

PeasantDave on
This discussion has been closed.