As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CoH] The Squadron: Wednesday at 8:00 EST

AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Original OP listed at bottom. If this is the first time you've read this post I'd suggest reading the Old Threats part first, otherwise New Threats won't make a lick of sense.

A New Threat!

titlephotospacefr9.jpg
The forecasted attack on the third planet from star 61642 has largely been repelled, though the enemy still lingers.

Many members of The Squadron's Swift Defense Force lent their life juices to the preservation of this planet.

Some of the survivors even decided to stay, at least for a time, after the initial "Rikti" invasion.

You should give thanks to our robotic lord SQUADROR that they did.

A few among those who stayed have sensed an importance about this planet, this Earf.

An ominous importance.

But there has been no evidence to warrant additional Squads.

Until now.

Instruments in the Earf Squadron base have detected increasing static in the space-time continuum, in a dirty part of Earf known as Rhode Island.

If left unchecked this static, within 60 Earf rotations from now, will puncture holes through history.

The vacuums created by these holes will suck in the past, effectively erasing all of existence.

Including The Squadron.

I am Sonic Squadron, and I am requesting the High Council send in all available Salvo Assault Forces to the third planet from star 61642.

This time it is about more than saving a single planet.

stationpicardpaintingnt5.jpg
To: Salvo Assault Forces

URGENT!

All Tanker Class Squadron and Scrapper Class Squadron not currently on level Omega-7 or higher missions must report to the third planet from star 61642. Some members of Swift Defense Force are there now, others are expected to return soon. They will help allocate you to the new planet through the siid k'lk system and teach you about Earf culture.

This mission is rated at Omega-6 levels of importance and all data is classified under such Intergalactic Police Laws that pertain to Omega level information.

What is this Swift Defense Force thing? They are your regular "boys in blue" of the Intergalactic Police. The Salvo Assault Force are essentially the SWAT team.

The group last night was talking about opening Squadron up to Scrappers and Tankers. Originally the idea was for Kheldians to supply the Tanking, when needed, but hardly anyone made a Kheldian.
So lets let Tanks in, they have some flashy power sets that will fit the theme really well, hell even the weapon stuff can be used now that tech versions are being made available in i11.

Oh, and I suppose Scrappers could hop on board as well.

Just stick to the theme, flashy intergalactic powers and costumes. As long as one set is flashy, like Willpower/Energy Melee or Broadsword/Regeneration, that works.
BE WARNED MELEE: The Squadron is known for excessive use of knockback.
If you want to make a Broadsword/Mace/Battle Axe/Assault Rifle character now and switch to tech/alien weapons when i11 hits, please do. The current Squadron will provide as much SKing as possible. And, of course, anyone who wants to make new Swift Defense Force characters are welcome to.

Old Threats! Original OP
While discussing our alts I mentioned a Sonic/Sonic Defender I've deleted and recreated a bajillion times. Some of the PAers on liked the idea of making a theme team out of him.

sonicsquadron01ug3.jpg

I am alien to this planet.

Sent here as a member of an elite Squadron of intergalactic police.

I came to Earth, alone, to watch it. To protect this young planet.

I fear I came too late.

There are signs all around.

Signs which point to an imminent attack.

An attack I can not possibly repel on my own.

If this planet is to reach maturity it will need help.

Our help.

I send this message out to the cosmos.

I am Sonic Squadron and I am requesting all available Squadrons to aid me in the defense of this, the third planet from star 61642.

sonicsquadron00rh2.jpg
Original Costume
sonicsquadron000qg6.jpg

So that is the jist, I guess. The details?

THEME TEAM!

Heroes - Virtue

Create an "intergalactic police officer" with a costume in the same THEME as the one in the picture.

Change anything; color, pattern, face, anything but keep the theme. And, yes, part of the theme is bright/light colors. I recommend non-human features as well, like odd colored skin.

Defenders, Blasters, and Kheldians ONLY. Try to avoid weapon powersets, though. These are Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, Nova, and Silver Surfer style characters. Updated: Tankers and Scrappers are now allowed, info explained in A New Threat.

It would be nice if some part of your costume matched the color of one of your powers.

Your name should be ____ Squadron.

This is an anytime team, much like Phantoms.

Try not to pick the same power sets as others, you know, if there is anything that interests you which is underrepresented.

moved Roster to second post for easier editing

The SG has been created. It is simply "Squadron" because, for whatever reason, CoX won't let you put "The" in front of your SG name. Every member has invite powers. We are in Coalition with Power's Allegory so use those base TPers. :^:

Accualt on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Try not to pick the same power sets as others, you know, if there is anything that interests you which is underrepresented.

Current Highest Level: 27
    Try and get close to this level so we can ensure mentors for sidekicks.

Swift Defense Force Roster
    Blasters
      Shock Squadron - Elec/Elec
    shock.jpg
    [*]Thunder Squadron - Elec/Elec

[*]Mach Squadron - ?/Energy
    Kauzyx's race developed on Auxx-Veefu IV, an unusually large planet with a crushingly dense atmosphere. Evolved from small, predatory insectoids, Auxxians have highly developed hearing, powerful vocal organs, and a uniquely specialized carapace: covered in tiny, rapidly-moving plates, the shell greatly reduces atmospheric friction. In the relatively low gravity and thin air of Earth, Kauzyx is able to reach incredible speeds and seems unnaturally strong for his size. Though he happily serves with his fellow Squadron members on Earth, he feels a great inborn need to return to his home planet and report his experience to the Hivemind. The daily mass-mating back home has nothing to do with it, he swears. MachSquadronFull.png
    MachSquadronPortrait.png
    MachSquadronZoom1.png
    MachSquadronZoom2.png
    [*]Magnum Squadron - Energy/Energy
    screenshot_2007-07-21-00-10-52.jpg
    [*]Moxie Squadron - Energy/Energy
    I was just a kid, in my first summer at Intergalactic Combat Camp when this rickety old Earthling counselor said, "Moxie--that´s what we've got in this little one here."

The name stuck.

Lots of changes and armloads of years have brought me to this planet the natives call Earth. In short, a call to action was sent. I answered.

You better believe that protecting Earth means protecting us all. Sure, this planet isn't my place, but I won´t dessert my squadron until we're triumphant. I miss my home like the dickens--there the energy current runs through us all in a constant surge that's strong enough to make even the most charged places on Earth feel frigid.

But wallowing in nostalgia is a bunch of balderdash. We've got an invasion--we can't waste time.

You think the Rikti will stop once they've squashed Earth? Get off your toosh and join the fight. moxieshotel7.jpg
    [*]Neutron Squadron - Energy/Ice
    856921191_c731c9ac9b.jpg
    [*]Power Squadron - Energy/Energy
    powersquadrongs5.jpg
    [*]Surge Squadron - Energy/Energy

[*]Fire Squadron - Fire/Fire
    [*]Solar Squadron - Fire/Elec

[*]Blizzard Squadron - Ice/Ice
    screenshot2007072019370sc8.jpg
    [*]Chill Squadron - Ice/Ice

[*]Amped Squadron - Sonic/Fire
    ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?!! ampedsquadronry4.jpg
    [*]Chiroptera Squadron - Sonic/Devices
    chiro1sk7.png
    [*]Echo Squadron - Sonic/Energy
    [*]Ultra Squadron - Sonic/Energy
    UltraSquadjpg.jpg

[*]Cygnus Squadron - ?/?
    cyg.jpg

Defenders
      Midnight Squadron - Dark/Dark
    midnightyn4.pngearficanuxt8.png

[*]Recovery Squadron - Emp/Psy
    Recovery.jpg
    [*]Superbrain Squadron - Emp/Psy

[*]Force Squadron - FF/Energy
    [*]Guard Squadron - FF/Elec

[*]Brain Squadron - Kin/Psi
    brainsquadron.jpg
    [*]Kinetic Squadron - Kin/Rad
    [*]Twilight Squadron - Kin/Dark
    twilightprofiledi2.jpg

Twilight used to be a prince of T'xegt; the planet closest to the star Alpha Centauri. The human languages are very difficult for his people to speak so he always wears a portable translating device. Like all T'xegtans, Twilight possesses kinetic abilities, but only those in the royal family are taught to master them. During one such training mission when he was young, an accident left him stranded and without a right arm nearly three hundred thousand miles away from his home planet. Because of the nature of the explosion causing the accident, his family assumed the worst. Twilight activated a distress beacon and attempted to bandage his wound, but no help came. It was not until he was on the verge of death that a passing Observer finally intervened. The Observer explained to Twilight through dream that it was violating Universal Law by helping him, but it also explained that its powers of precognition had revealed a great need for heroes in the near future. The Observer also made Twilight promise to defend the innocent at all costs. Finally the demi-god explained that an intergalactic police force known as The Squadron kept peace in as much of the universe that it could and that Twilight should seek them out after his life was restored.

The Observer then sacrificed its life to save Twilight's, but in doing so the demi-god inadvertently made Twilight look into the depths of a black hole and the sight shattered Twilight's mind. However, he was granted minor dark matter powers in the process. Completely forgetting about his home, Twilight crafted a robotic arm in crazed spontaneity and the mechanism actually worked. His memory of the Observer and his heritage was wiped from his mind, yet he retained the memory of his promise and of The Squadron. He still wears his princely crown as a symbol of his vow. Upon finding The Squadron, he was examined thoroughly before being recruited and his mental condition was deemed nonthreatening enough to enlist him. He was shipped off to the third planet from star 61642 to assist Sonic Squadron and he has no idea that he is only a light year away from home.

[*]Cosmic Squadron - Rad/Rad
    "Cosmic Squadron is one of a race of noble aliens devoted to racial advancement through natural selection. A once aquatic species, they soon bred themselves for life on land and from there developed into a society of diverse castes, each specializing in different areas and often possessing extraordinary abilities. Once the personal ability to bend space was discovered - and quickly bred into all castes of the species - the race achieved its place in interstellar politics and its citizens were presented with many exciting new career possibilities.
    The intergalactic police force Squadron was keen to keep its ranks full and offered a position to the agent now known as Cosmic Squadron, from a caste skilled in harnessing and manipulating the powers of cosmic radiation. Following a distress call transmitted by the officer Sonic Squadron, agent Cosmic traveled to the third planet from star 61642 - a closely observed potential newcomer to galactic politics known as Earth - to aid in the defense from imminent, heavy assault." cosmicrt9.jpg
    [*]Gamma Squadron - Rad/Rad
    "I am the pinnicale of perfect. I am..... A ROBOT!"
    ZOOM.jpg
    [*]Rad Squadron - Rad/Rad

[*]Screamer Squadron - Sonic/
    screenshot2007081615553tv8.jpg
    [*]Sonic Squadron - Sonic/Sonic
    [*]Yowler Squadron - Sonic/Psi
    yowl1.JPG

[*]Mindstorm Squadron - Storm/Psi
    [*]Serenity Squadron - Storm/Energy
    serenitysquadron00ib8.jpg
    [*]Stormcall Squadron- Storm/Elec
    Squadron2.jpg
    "Hailing from the planet Stormos IV, the Stormcall Squadron uses arctic weather, strong winds, and bolts of lightning to assault it's foes, while also being able to use strong winds to protect and aid it's allies."

Kheldians
      Blitz Squadron - Peacebringer
    BioC.jpgChar.jpg
    [*]Saturnal Squadron - Peacebringer
    [*]Void Squadron - Warshade
    "The vile beating heart of this new host body pounds at my consciousness. I hunger to twist it and squeeze till the little thing pops, but the last time I did that my host died. Such fragile things these flesh beasts. I have no issue with the death of my host, but if I wish to continue employment with The Squadron I must follow their silly policies. Unfortunately my "service" with these boy scouts is the most grievous attack I can make against my traitorous brothers and my best avenue for revenge. The Hunters will pay for sending me to this backwater planet to swim in the filth of these creatures. They will pay for this mistake as long as I live." void.jpg

Salvo Assault Force Roster
    Scrappers
      Stinger Squadron - Broadsword/Dark Scrapper
    An insect gladiator whose services have been given to Squadron by the King of his swarm, he was modified into a black ops one-man wrecking crew due to his tendancy to aggravate or eat his partners.
    Stinger.jpg
    soon to have wings and eventually a tech/rikti sword.

[*]Talon Squadron - Claws/Invuln
    Talon.jpg

[*]Night Devil Squadron - Dark Melee/Dark Armor
    nightdevil.jpg

[*]Frenzy Squadron - Martial Arts/Invuln
    FrenzySquadron.jpg

Tankers

Accualt on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm gonna go with /Psi. Haven't decided on primary yet.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, there it is. Sweet.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hmmm...I believe I will make a peacebringer. This actually sounds quite interesting.

I guess we can't neccesarily make the justice pieces manditory as not eveyone has gve or the booster. What exactly are the most important parts of the costume to replicate? Awesome costume idea Accualt.

I'd sort of like to fill the tank spot on this team if anyone has any suggestions on how to make that work with my pb.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The most important costume parts are...I don't know, probably clean style lines for the pants/legs. Just think of "cosmic" heroes from comics and what their costumes look like. Shoot for that sort of flare.

Well before Dwarf form you can tank based off of our buffs, since most of us are making Defenders.

Accualt on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    I guess we can't neccesarily make the justice pieces manditory as not eveyone has gve or the booster. What exactly are the most important parts of the costume to replicate? Awesome costume idea Accualt.

What is a GVE or a booster?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    GVE is the good vs evil edition of the game with the jump pack, teleporter, and 2 costume sets included. The booster is just the thing you can buy off the main site for 10 bucks that gives you the extras but not the game.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GVE is the good vs evil edition of the game with the jump pack, teleporter, and 2 costume sets included. The booster is just the thing you can buy off the main site for 10 bucks that gives you the extras but not the game.

Oh.

I guess that's what I'd need, since I already have CoH and CoV.

I am probably going to renew my account tomorrow, maybe I will join you guys.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    The most important costume parts are...I don't know, probably clean style lines for the pants/legs. Just think of "cosmic" heroes from comics and what their costumes look like. Shoot for that sort of flare.

Well before Dwarf form you can tank based off of our buffs, since most of us are making Defenders.

Is it viable to skip nova alltogether and make a tankcentric human/dwarf form build as a pb?

Well you won't do nearly as much dmg in Human form as you would in Nova but, yeah, it is viable...especially in this team with all of the buffs.

Accualt on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ice/Ice Blaster, named Chill Squadron.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Mark this day on your calenders, Ghost made an alt.

And then he died. So it really was Ghost!

Accualt on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    midnightyn4.png
    Midnight Squadron

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If his chest and pants were tights I would be all kinds of all about that.

Accualt on
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    my.php?image=powersquadrongs5.jpg

Energy/energy

Does that work?

mellestad on
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Screw you all. Nobody wants to be Aegis Squadron?

Fine. Aegis Squadron reporting for duty. (in a few days when I buy a copy of the game)

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome! Pre-emptive wb Aegis.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    If his chest and pants were tights I would be all kinds of all about that.
    The tights weren't as shiny though.
    I should also mention he's very short.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    HOT DAMN! to Aegis

Leather tights?

EDIT: Ignore me. Now that I noticed his head and hands aren't the same as his feet and chest/legs I like it much better.

Accualt on
  • Options
    GhostalkerGhostalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hate you guys for making me start new characters.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    oh lawd harlon coming back to CoX, whats next, CS harlon?

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DedlokDedlok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Had fun last night. didn't take a screen of my guy yet (Rad Squadron) but will later.

Is it viable to skip nova alltogether and make a tankcentric human/dwarf form build as a pb?

Well you won't do nearly as much dmg in Human form as you would in Nova but, yeah, it is viable...especially in this team with all of the buffs.

Squidlok a level 29 PB on Victory has been human/dwarf the entire way with no probs. Heck most of the time he was teamed w/ 1 or 2 human/dwarf pb(s) and/or a blaster and he did fine.

Dedlok on
    CoH/CoV Characters and builds

Wii FC: 4304 0966 9882 6295
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I believe that our SGs name should be Sexy Squadron and our motto should be..."Where the sexiest come to be sexy"

That is all

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    mellestad wrote: »
    my.php?image=powersquadrongs5.jpg

Energy/energy

Does that work?

Uh, looks like someone had fun with the random costume button. >.>

Scooter on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm totally in on this and will be making my char tonight sometime.

Kin/Mind Dom

Brain Squadron is go! (I hope the name isnt taken)

Arch on
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I made a Dark/Psi dude I named Nether Squadron.

Then I tried killing a dude solo with him and it took so long I just logged off >_>

FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Arch wrote: »

Kin/Mind Dom

Uh....Doms are on the wrong side.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yea I totally meant defender.....

I mean, Kin isnt even a dom powerset.....so yea I dont know why I did that.

Arch on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »

Kin/Mind Dom

Uh....Doms are on the wrong side.

Bizarro/Sinestro Squadron anyone?

I dunno if I'll be part of this ... between my hero and villain mains, my alts, and my WoWer, I'm all but out of room for new characters on Virtue. D:

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

For that matter Mind isn't a Defender power set, it's controller. Perhaps Kin/Psi?

But enough harping on about minor mistakes. We need more screenies!

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Just re-roll one of your lowbie alts for this. :)
    I look forward to getting home tonight and running some Squadron action. It would be awesome if we could get some decent leveling in before i10 and then run around zones that are being invaded yelling in /broadcast about how we are here to save the planet from the Rikti.

/broadcast Gamma Squadron says, "Looks like the Rikti are doing a number here."
    /broadcast Blitz Squadron says, "Don't worry, humans, the Squadron is here now."
    /broadcast Sonic Squadron says, "Squadron 1, we have Rikti on the east end. Go Go GO!"
    /broadcast Kinetic Squadron says, "We've got bombers incoming!"
    /broadcast Fire Squadron says, "Squadron 2 needs backup. The Rikti just dropped a combat suit in the middle of the park!"
    /broadcast Lord of DemonLies says, "lvl 17 scrapper lft"
    /broadcast Blizzard Squadron says, "This reminds me of the battle on Nincron when I was a young cadet."
    /broadcast Midnight Squadron says, "Every battle reminds you of some other battle."
    /broadcast Mindstorm Squadron says, "Stop bickering, these mentalists are shutting down my Hurricane."
    /broadcast Recovery Squadron says, "I've got you covered, weather boy."
    /broadcast Rad Squadron says, "I'm so happy I answered your call, Sonic. Nothing like getting punched in the face by Rikti to get the blood flowing."
    /broadcast Chill Squadron says, "Want me to put some ice on that shiner, Rad?"
    /broadcast VegettaVador says, "omg stfu fags"

Accualt on
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, me and my roommate (and current duo-ing partner) might want to get in on this. Haven't decided what to be, but I'll think on it and try to do something tonight.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I am not saying that

Ever

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    see317 wrote: »

For that matter Mind isn't a Defender power set, it's controller. Perhaps Kin/Psi?

But enough harping on about minor mistakes. We need more screenies!

Yea, Kin/Psi named Brain Squadron. Ill post pics in a little bit.

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I made a Dark/Psi dude I named Nether Squadron.

Then I tried killing a dude solo with him and it took so long I just logged off >_>

Psi is not known for its dmg abilities, especially early on. I've heard it gets better since hardly anythign resists psi at the higher end. You could always roll a different power set, if you want, or if you just don't like Defender damage make a Blaster.

Ghostalker wrote: »
    I am not saying that

Ever

I was trying to give you the roll of Kup, who is awesome, but whatever.
    Instead you can be the old grumpy, but also awesome, Ironhide.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alternative conversation:
    "This reminds me of when I was banging your mom last night"
    "Everything reminds you of banging his mom"

Scooter on
  • Options
    TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am going to start up again for this. I think I will be a Force Field/Energy Defender.
    Force Squadron

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I am not saying that

Ever

I have no idea who you're alluding to.

Ghostalker on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    To Tremor: You, Aegis, and I are going to make the Blasters swooooon.

All three of them.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    So Brain Squadron (Kin/Psi defender) has been made.
    brainsquadron.jpg

Arch on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I am not saying that

Ever

I have no idea who you're alluding to.

Ghost, jesus, you have no idea how many awesome points you just lost.
    On the plus side, though, you did roll an alt for this so <3.
    250px-Kup.jpg
    ironhide2-ts.JPG

Accualt on