As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA]Notes on a Revolution - REVOLUTIONAIRE VICTORY!

Comte de CalonneComte de Calonne Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Critical Failures
Notes on a Revolution
lamariannevh0.jpg
My dearest Marquise,

Forgive me for not writing to you sooner. Even now, I am pressed for time, and my heart is filled with worry, for I fear that this kind of correspondence is no longer safe. But I MUST write back to you now, if only to experience the thrill of waiting for your next letter again, to wake up to each new morning full of excitement and hope, knowing that your thoughts are with me, cherishing the unique bond between us.

My Lady, try as I might, I cannot deny this: your letter pierced my heart. Your understanding of politics and your love for our country impress me deeply, and there is more truth to your concerns than you can imagine. Indeed, France is in peril. Peasants are rioting on the streets of Paris. The bourgeoisie are openly mocking the King. And the Church... Oh! I know how deeply religious you are, my Lady, but I fear the Church of France has gone blind with avarice.

Revolution! They speak about it openly now. The rebels and their sympathizers have gained influence among the nobility, among those too weak and feeble-minded to see their propaganda for what it is. The noblest of principles - charity! justice! - have been corrupted beyond recognition to support this rebellion, to support treason, for that is what it is! To make matters worse, there is talk about war. Leopold II, Holy Roman Emperor of Hungary and Bohemia, has threatened to invade France "to restore stability", should the King fail to quench the rebellion. I feel confident that his true goals are as obvious to you as they are to me. His agents are already working in France, even close to the King; I am certain of that! They seek to undermine the Crown, to feed the rebellion, to erode the pride and power of France until our country is ripe for picking. Truly, my Lady, these are terrible times, and the Court is filled with traitors and fools.

Stay at your estate, my Lady. It is safe there. Do not hesitate to ask the good Chevalier to deal with the peasants, should they become difficult. I know how good-hearted you are, but we cannot afford to be soft. We must be brave.

Yours, always,

Comte de Rosemonde

See next post for game rules.

---

Player List

THE ARISTOCRACY

cj iwakura (in the Bastilj)
Hakkekage (in the Bastilj)
Logan
Plutonium
Typhus733

THE CHURCH OF FRANCE

Balefuego (in the Bastilj)
Buzz Buzz
DËTHKÖK (in the Bastilj)
JPjeezus
manaleak34 (in the Bastilj)
MrBallbaggins

The Dead
  • DevoutlyApathetic (poisoned on night 1)
  • Telcus (murdered on night 1)
  • Squashua - the Royal Assassin (killed in a duel on night 1)
  • Bink (murdered on night 1)
  • B:L (ate poisoned frog legs on night 2)
  • Jdarksun (poisoned on night 2)
  • Fembot - Bohemian Agent (murdered on night 2)
  • iamtheaznman - Jesuit Assassin (murdered on night 2)
  • TehSpectre (killed in prison on night 3)
  • Frosteey (poisoned on night 3)
  • Skulk - Archivist(murdered on night 3)
  • zotquix - Nuncio (poisoned on night 3)
  • Zot (murdered in prison on night 4)
  • Jester313 - Courtesan (murdered in prison on night 4)
  • cheez - Officer of the Guard (murdered on night 4)
  • Locus (murdered in prison on night 5)
  • Saburbia - Jesuit Assassin (ate poisoned frog legs on night 5)
  • vagabondmonk (guillotined on night 5)
  • FunkyWaltDogg (killed in prison on night 5)
  • thorpe (murdered on night 5)
  • the wook (murdered on night 5)
  • Anjin-San (killed by the Wrath of God on night 5)
  • Seta 3000 - Revolutionaire (killed by the Wrath of God on night 5)
  • Koan (killed in prison on night 6)
  • Ardor - Bohemian Agent (murdered on night 6)
  • Zerinan (Guillotined on night 6)
  • Niceguy Myeye (murdered on night 6)
  • FreeAgent (murdered on night 6)
  • Grundlterror - Bohemian Agent (guillotined on night 7)
  • Durax - Bohemian Agent (murdered on night 7)
  • Precisionk - Templar (murdered in prison on night 7)
  • Qorzm (guillotined on night 7)
  • zal (poisoned on night 8)
  • MrBlarney - Officer of the Guard (murdered on night 8)
  • PsychoCucumber - Master of Intrigue (killed in a duel on night 8)

Notes
Plutonium replaced tuxkamen on day 1.
durax replaced Rynone on day 2.

Reserves

Narrations

Night One
Night Two
Night Three
Night Four
Night Five
Night Six
Night Seven
Night Eight
Final Narration

Comte de Calonne on

• Comte de CalonneComte de Calonne Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    PHALLA: Notes on a Revolution

The Basic Rules

There are two main factions: the Aristocracy and the Clergy. Every player, including the Revolutionaires and Bohemians, belong to these factions. This affiliation is known to the public. It'd be great if players put their faction in their title, to make things easier for everyone, but it's not mandatory.

There are two bad guy factions: the Revolutionaires and the Bohemian Agents. Their numbers and abilities are secret.

Every day, the Aristocracy votes for a Chancellor to oversee the internal security of the country. The color to use is LIME, and the vote should look something like this: I vote Hylianbunny for Chancellor. The Chancellor can exclusively affect players in the Bastilj:
    • Execute a prisoner (kill him).
    • Torture a prisoner (seer him).
    • Pardon a prisoner (free him).

Every day, the Clergy votes for a Cardinal to lead the Catholic Church of France. The color is MAGENTA and the proper format is: I vote Bliss 101 for Cardinal. The Cardinal can only affect players in the main thread:
    • Send the Inquisition after a player who's not in the bastilj (seer him).
    • Declare a player a Heretic (send to the Bastilj).
    • Every day, everyone accuses a player of treason. The player with the most votes is sent to the Bastilj (prison). The color is RED. J'accuse Bliss 101!.
    • The Chancellor posts his actions in YELLOW: I torture Hylianbunny.
    • The Cardinal uses SKYBLUE: I declare Bliss 101 a Heretic!
    • Use ORANGE to ask for Clarifications in the thread.

The color codes are more important than the wording. If you quote a post with a vote in it, it would be awesome if you edited out the color codes from the quote. Aristocrats casting Clergy votes, and Clergymen casting Aristocrat votes, even if it's just a joke, will be punished.
    • Please be somewhat active. If you have to go inactive, let us know ASAP so we can find a replacement.
    • Do not share role PMs. Do not directly quote a PM from the GM.
    • Dead players can't talk to anyone in the game. Jailed players can talk to anyone they want.
    • If you make proboards, pleace give Bliss 101 and Hylianbunny access for fun.

VOTING CLOSES AT 9 AM PDT.

Detailed Rules

Public Victory Conditions
    • The Aristocracy and the Clergy can achieve a collective Monarchist victory by killing both the Bohemian and the Revolutionaire factions.
    • The Revolutionaires can win the game by killing everyone else.
    • The Bohemians can win the game by killing everyone else.
    • There may be other, optional victory conditions for one or more factions.

The Bastilj

Some attacks will kill you instantly. Others send you to the Bastilj (prison). Nobles and clergymen are privileged even in prison, and will be able to continue private communication with the outside world, but can no longer post in the main thread. People in the main thread cannot post in the Bastilj thread.
    • For the purposes of victory conditions, players in the Bastilj are considered "dead".
    • Special abilities don't work in the Bastilj.
    • Most items won't function in the Bastilj (see item list for exceptions).
    • Players are automatically executed after spending three days in the Bastilj.
    • Every day, the prisoners arrange an "accident" to get rid of one of their fellow prisoners. Vote Hylianbunny.
    • Every day, the prisoners use their remaining influence and new criminal contacts to provide one or more random items to a faction of their choice. They have no control over which item is selected, how many of them, and to which player(s). The random generator may favor some items over others, for balance reasons. Example: Aristocrats!

Specials

Both factions have one or more Seers, Vigilantes, Guardians, and may have other specials. There may be limitations on the specials, and the limitations may differ between factions. There is a counter for every special ability in the game.

Items

These are the known items in the game. Some of them are very rare, others are common. Almost everyone should start with either a special ability or an item. All items are used by PMing the GM, except the Rapier, for which you make a challenge in yellow.
    • Poison: a one time vigilante ability. Guardian abilities protect against this.
    • Forged documents: one time ability to send a player to the Bastilj. Can be used in the Bastilj.
    • Favor of the King: one time ability to get out of prison.
    • Favor of the Pope: one time ability to get out of prison.
    • Confidential letters: publish the letters to reveal the dirty secrets of a player on a given night to double his votes for being jailed, or halve his votes for Chancellor/Cardinal. One use ability. Can be used in the Bastilj.
    • Poisoned frog legs: send a basket full of delicious presents to a Bastilj inmate to kill him. One use ability.
    • Rapier: publicly challenge a player to a duel of rock/paper/scissors! The loser dies. Duels are resolved at the time of narration.
    • Dirty literature: make a player addicted to erotic books and pamphlets. He'll be unable to use any of his abilities or items that night.
    • Love of the Queen: You are the secret lover of the Queen. Only one of this "item" can be in play at any one time. If you are in prison, she will use her influence to keep you alive; even the Chancellor cannot order your execution. The Revolutionaires and Bohemians can still kill you.
    • A pouch of diamonds: Use this to bribe key officials to free a player of your choice from prison. One time ability.
    • Flintlock pistol: You can protect yourself against one direct kill attempt. The player who attacks you will be unable to use any special abilities or items on the following day.
    • There may be other items.

When a player is killed, any remaining items are randomly distributed to his faction. This includes the Revolutionaires and Bohemians in the faction. Favor of the King and Favor of the Pope are not redistributed. Imprisoned players retain their items, but cannot use them (with some exceptions).

Clarifications:
    • You need to issue the challenge to a Rapier duel 12 hours before narration at the latest, to give the other player time to respond. If you issue it later, it will be resolved the next day.
    • All events (items, duels, special abilities) are resolved at narration time.
    • The kill order: Guardians > Items > Chancellor > Cardinal > Vigilante > Bohemian > Revolutionaire > Vote
    • The Chancellor is immune to both of the powers of the Cardinal.
    • The order to use the ability is made publicly, but the results are sent to the player via PM.
    • If the Chancellor or Cardinal is killed on the same night he conducts a seering, the results of the interrogation will be saved for the next player elected to that position.

Major Clarification

This wasn't stated explicitly, because it's kind of standard fare in Phallas, but I just realized the current rules may make things a bit ambiguous. If, at any point in the game, 50% or more of the player base consists of Bohemians or Revolutionaires, that faction wins. This overrides all other win conditions.

Comte de Calonne on
  • zalzal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nooo...I'm in the same group as the likes of Ardor, DA and Squashua, I may as well just concede now D:

zal on
  • BinkBink Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pffft, I'd switch with you if I could. All of my favorite people are on your team - especialy Telcus.

Clarification request: Can the Chancellor seer "the next person that is put into prison" so as to get the results at narration when that person is jailed, or does he have to target someone who has already been in for a round?

Bink on
    This post in no way reflects the views, opinions, thoughts or beliefs of anyone at all, and these forums take no responsibility for the actions or subsequent consequences of the author during his attempts to "Maek poast".
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I AM PART OF THE CHURCH, SO THUS THE LOGICAL CHOICE MUST BE MADE:

I !vote Precisionk as Cardinal.

LET US BURN THE HERETICS AND SLAY THE REVOLUTIONARIES!

Edit: my pope avatar so fits this.

precisionk on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    zal wrote: »
    Nooo...I'm in the same group as the likes of Ardor, DA and Squashua, I may as well just concede now D:

Are you kidding? Our team kicks ass.

Suck it Clergy!

It's on Emperor Precisionk!

EDIT: I'd vote for PK to be cardinal any day of the week if I was on his team. Red's the closest thing to purple I've got though.

Ardor on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fellow followers of the Chuch... !vote Balefuego for Cardinal and I will lead the inquisution to crush those damned aristocrats!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Monster kill orders, special ability PMs, item uses etc. should all be sent to Comte de Calonne, my and HB's shared GM account. Only send them to our private inboxes if the GM inbox somehow manages to fill up.

Clarification requests etc can be sent to any or all of us I suppose.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Clarification:

So if the Cardinal doesn't send anyone to the prison on day 1 (before voting closes), the Chancellor basically has no power that day since there won't be anyone in the Bastilj to question/execute/free? That puts us Aristocrats at a disadvantage since in essence the Church gets one extra use of their public special or us! =P

EDIT: Wouldn't it be funny if we imprison whoever gets voted to be the Cardinal.

zal on
    edited August 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ardor, mon ami. Once again we cross words. This time will be different, no? Perhaps we can work together to ensure the mutual glory of France...

I vote precisionk for Cardinal.

...then again, perhaps chaos is the better choice. bonne chance!

Jdarksun, my brother, I will right the wrongs that are fleeting in our dear France. There are sinners amongst us and it is our job as clergy to purge these heretics in our mists.

VIVA LA FRANCE!

precisionk on
  • SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll vote precisionk for cardinal because come on, it's precisionk.

Skulk on
    edited August 2007
    Ardor, mon ami. Once again we cross words. This time will be different, no? Perhaps we can work together to ensure the mutual glory of France...

I vote precisionk for Cardinal.

...then again, perhaps chaos is the better choice. bonne chance!

Think of this as a different type of game.

I'll trade you DA for Buzz Buzz. It seems to be a fair trade. I might be goaded into throwing MrBlarney into the mix, but I'd have to see a good offer for him.

Ardor on
  • Jester313Jester313 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Aristocrats!

Jester313 on
    edited August 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

Are you kidding? Our team kicks ass.

Suck it Clergy!

It's on Emperor Precisionk!

EDIT: I'd vote for PK to be cardinal any day of the week if I was on his team. Red's the closest thing to purple I've got though.

HERETIC!

!vote to remove the treasonist Ardor from our dear land!

precisionk on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    aw shit, I didn't see precisionk's post before I nominated myself.. I dont think this is a race I can win.

vote for me

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All hail Cardinal precisionk!

Death to Ardor!

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited August 2007
    We need action when it comes to our chancellor. We need someone talented with verbal communication and good with quick decisions.

That person, is Frosteey!

Lead on good sir.

Ardor on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's just thank fate that Gnasty isn't in this one... and in the Aristocracy. :-)

Squashua on
    edited August 2007
    BUSS BUSS, Unite behind your brother and earn your Z's back!

precisionk on
    edited August 2007
    !Vote PrecisionK for Cardinal!
    !Vote Ardor for insulting our Cardinal!

Bink on
    This post in no way reflects the views, opinions, thoughts or beliefs of anyone at all, and these forums take no responsibility for the actions or subsequent consequences of the author during his attempts to "Maek poast".
  • SkulkSkulk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ardor has earned the wrath of the church!

Skulk on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Let's get this thing started! Look at all those posts already. But to start off with: Spreadsheet. That aught to help people stay organized.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2007
    I hope you all take advantage of this to give me the wrath and grudge I rightfully deserve!

Day 1 bandwagon, destination? Me!

Ardor on
    edited August 2007
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Let's get this thing started! Look at all those posts already. But to start off with: Spreadsheet. That aught to help people stay organized.

If I could mate with you, I would, because of those spreadsheets.

precisionk on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Clarification:

So if the Cardinal doesn't send anyone to the prison on day 1 (before voting closes), the Chancellor basically has no power that day since there won't be anyone in the Bastilj to question/execute/free? That puts us Aristocrats at a disadvantage since in essence the Church gets one extra use of their public special or us! =P

EDIT: Wouldn't it be funny if we imprison whoever gets voted to be the Cardinal.

Whoever gets bandwagoned ends up in the Bastilj.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I think what he doesn't realize is, the Aristocrat Chancellor doesn't get elected until there's already 1 person in jail anyway.

Bink on
    edited August 2007
    I hope you all take advantage of this to give me the wrath and grudge I rightfully deserve!

This what you get when you declare war on the Church!

precisionk on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I would consider that a serious besmirching of your fellow aristocrats and completely unacceptable in a civilized society.

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited August 2007
    precisionk wrote: »

This what you get when you declare war on the Church!

You may win the day Precisionk, but you shall not win the war! The Clergy will be shown the errors of their ways and the falsehoods they embellish to gain control of the people.

We shall expose your treachery to the people, where you will face the wrath of the very mortals you reign above.

Ardor on
    edited August 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I know that, but say the Cardinal chooses to seer instead of inquisition. That means they get an action for day #1, however, since there won't be anyone in the prison until after night #1, basically the Chancellor loses a turn because he cannot act until day #2.

Another clarification: when do the actions of the Cardinal and Chancellor resolve? I assume whoever gets inquisitioned can't vote any more for whatever is left of that day, but if he had voted before, does his vote still count even though he's now in prison?
    Bink wrote: »
    I think what he doesn't realize is, the Aristocrat Chancellor doesn't get elected until there's already 1 person in jail anyway.

Even if that's the case, my point still stands, the Cardinal gets one extra free action over the Chancellor, because the latter's power is reactionary, he can't use his power until a condition is fulfilled, which is someone being in the prison. So any time during the game when there are no prisoners, the role is useless. I just wanted to make sure that's the intention.

zal on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Look at all the papists who are already so vile that they immediately send an innocent man towards prison. We need someone who can confront these people in their weakest spot: reason. Devoutly Apathetic is quite the reasonable fellow and I for one would trust his leadership.

Nominate Devoutly Apathetic

Niceguy Myeye on
    edited August 2007
    Bink wrote: »
    Pffft, I'd switch with you if I could. All of my favorite people are on your team - especialy Telcus.

Clarification request: Can the Chancellor seer "the next person that is put into prison" so as to get the results at narration when that person is jailed, or does he have to target someone who has already been in for a round?

No. The prisoners need to soften up in their cells a bit before being receptive to torture.

Comte de Calonne on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

That's kind of creepy. !vote precisionk to imprisonment! It's gonna be a race to see who has the more active members to see who gets thrown into prison first. Although... there is a slight advantage in getting a majority of people into prison to start off with. Hmm!

Clarification! When does vote close each day? Doesn't seem to be in the rules post yet.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • vagabondmonkvagabondmonk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alors, mon amis Aristocratic, je retournerai around 10:30 tonight to contribute a little more to the front, but for now, Ardor's word is good enough for me...!Elect Frosteey as le grand chancelier

vagabondmonk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I would consider that a serious besmirching of your fellow aristocrats and completely unacceptable in a civilized society.

Hey, is it hard keeping your robot bear parts well maintained here in pre-industrial France?

Frosteey on
    edited August 2007
    After thinking about this for a little bit, it seems to me that we may be more successful if the Aristocrats and the Church work together. There are two main recurring sources of jailing, those being the popular vote and our Cardinal.

Right now if all of the church voted for an aristocrat and all of the aristocracy voted for a clergyman, we'd pretty much have a tie. However if we (the church) take full advantage of our Cardinal, we can very quickly reduce the Aristocracy to the point where they cannot oppose our bandwagon. Essentially we would be overpowering the aristocracy, as without the numbers to sway the vote and without a jail power of their own, the church would get to jail two targets a day without opposition.

However, I do not think this is the best tactic at this time. The church and the aristocracy have a shared win condition, whatever other win conditions we may also have. I think we should shoot for shared victory and join forces against the other factions, instead of trying to defeat each other.

I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet. One idea is to make sure the popular vote jails someone from the church, and the Cardinal jails someone from the Aristocracy. That way neither faction will gain control. It would also be good if we could devise some sort of system for using the kill/inprisonment items in the same fashion, to reduce the numbers of both factions accordingly.

If you hoity-toity aristocrats don't agree, however, I'm sure we can presuade all of the clergy to use their kill/jail items tonight so that tomorrow we can hold the popular vote above your decimated court's head.

Bink on
    edited August 2007
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

I know that, but say the Cardinal chooses to seer instead of inquisition. That means they get an action for day #1, however, since there won't be anyone in the prison until after night #1, basically the Chancellor loses a turn because he cannot act until day #2.

The Cardinal is chosen at the time of narration. His first action can take place in tomorrow's narration.

Another clarification: when do the actions of the Cardinal and Chancellor resolve? I assume whoever gets inquisitioned can't vote any more for whatever is left of that day, but if he had voted before, does his vote still count even though he's now in prison?[/quote]

Even if that's the case, my point still stands, the Cardinal gets one extra free action over the Chancellor, because the latter's power is reactionary, he can't use his power until a condition is fulfilled, which is someone being in the prison. So any time during the game when there are no prisoners, the role is useless. I just wanted to make sure that's the intention.[/QUOTE]

That is the intention. I find it unlikely that the Prison will be empty a lot though, but we'll see how this plays out.

Comte de Calonne on
    edited August 2007

That's kind of creepy. !vote precisionk to imprisonment! It's gonna be a race to see who has the more active members to see who gets thrown into prison first. Although... there is a slight advantage in getting a majority of people into prison to start off with. Hmm!

Clarification! When does vote close each day? Doesn't seem to be in the rules post yet.

HERETIC!

precisionk on
    edited August 2007
    People to Burn at the Stake
    • Ardor
    • MrBlarney

Repent! For the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!

BURN THE HERETICS!

precisionk on
    edited August 2007

I made it 9 PDT because that seems to keep the most people happy. Rules post updated.

Comte de Calonne on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    !All Glory to Cardinal PrecisionK!

!Let Ardor eat cake.

Let the light of God shine true, and may Ardor be a traitorous dog. Aristocracy, we should work together to find these godless heathens in our midst rather than quarrel with each other.

May our Glorious Cardinal precisionk lead us to salvation!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat