As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, I'm gonna save Sonic

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
Thanks to polago, I've been put in a position where a few sega reps want to talk to me specifically about what needs to be done to fix the sonic series. Obviously, I have volumes of stuff to talk about, and I have my own ideas about what to say. However, I'd like to get everybody's opinions on what needs to be done to help. I've already started talking to some of the bigger sonic hackers, but I'd like a casual sega gamer's stance.

So, penny-arcade, what should I say?

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    Scott_CameronScott_Cameron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks to polago, I've been put in a position where a few sega reps want to talk to me specifically about what needs to be done to fix the sonic series. Obviously, I have volumes of stuff to talk about, and I have my own ideas about what to say. However, I'd like to get everybody's opinions on what needs to be done to help. I've already started talking to some of the bigger sonic hackers, but I'd like a casual sega gamer's stance.

Somehow make it like Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles again. ;)

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No more ridiculous characters like the extra ones in Riders, get rid of Silver, remind them that Shadow the Hedgehog was a terrible game, and tell them to make true Sonic games.

Qorzm on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Every other fucking character has to be cut and never to return.

Period.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I want the equivalent of New Super Mario Bros. for Sonic the Hedgehog.

Also, can we go back to calling him Robotnik? "eggman" is stupid...

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Period.

This... and Sonic can no longer speak anymore.

The whole series needs a "reboot", but their last attempt with that godawful 360 game was... godawful.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Improved level design? I haven't really played a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2 though. :P

Estoc on
  • Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's ironic, because the two suggestions I can think of boil down to the 360 Sonic and Sonic and the Secret Rings: either a return to the redeeming elements of Sonic Adventure or a completely minimalist approach. Both of them had pretty noble intentions with pretty mixed results, which therefore pegs the execution as the real problem here. I don't mind the adventure concept, and I certainly don't mind the stripped down approach, but in both cases, you need people in charge willing to ensure some quality control that's been lacking for so long.

I suppose if I had to change anything, I'd fire everyone responsible for the amount of inane plot that goes into these games. The presentation sours the aesthetic. For this genre, the amount of plot in Mario 64 is probably as much as you're ever going to need. Anthropomorphic animals really aren't a good source for compelling drama.

Edd on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah if Sonic only made expressive noises like Mario, that would be cool with me. His coolness can be shown through body language (smirks and winks).

Hoz on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Criteria I feel any Sonic Game should fill:

3 playable characters -
    Sonic, Tails, Knuckles. Each should be playable on all levels, there should be no "sonic levels" or "Tails levels" although alternate routes in levels is acceptable.

No cut scenes, any story should be told though in game scripted events.

Arcadey level structure (should be able/designed to be completed in one siting)

Spinning signs at the end of levels, and Containers with animals in them after boss fights.

Extra optional stuff -
    I would love a 3D graphics, 2D gameplay sonic game, but I am yet to play Sonic Wii, so maybe that is good.

I will no doubt think of more in time, but I have an exam 2moro and am off to bed, I will post more later. This is very very awesome of you/the Sonic community.

LewieP on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Make sure Bioware makes their game based on the first 50 issues of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic book.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Tell them to revamp Sonic 3+Knuckles just like how NSMB was a revamp of Mario.

semi 3d characters, new art, same level design.

It would sell a million.

for the ds ofc

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Take it in a new direction that isn't fucking retarded but still remains true to some of the sonic basics

I'm pretty sure you can't revive a franchise by doing the same thing you've been doing for 5 years

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    2.5D, in the style of Klonoa.

Speed-running, plus foreground-background switches? Awesome.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Make sure Bioware makes their game based on the first 50 issues of the Archie Sonic the Hedgehog comic book.

no.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can Sonic please have two eyes instead of a giant eye with a pair of irises?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sonic Adventure 3, and having it not suck.

I enjoyed SA 1&2, and I wouldn't mind seeing a third.

Though I kind of miss Amy's mallet of death©.

Shadow was a huge letdown. I really wanted to like it, especially seeing as how his levels in SA2 are intense. Pushing the gun mechanic into a game about him was a bad idea. Stick to high-speed madness.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    FUCK YOU!

Do not change Sonic physically.

Hoz on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Period.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not up on the Sonic series enough to make any insightful comments, but I still want to congratulate you on this awesome new opportunity. Do us proud!

Szechuan on
  • Options
    deltasdeltas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    deltas on
    2b1cae4d81b80fa87fa61a9e1edb788b.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I don't like the "you can pick with which character to do a level" thing. I'd rather levels be built around a specific characters.

Hoz on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I can't answer this myself due to never being a Sega fan, but what exactly was the spirit of Sonic back then? People always say "going really fast", but was was there anything more to it than that?

From an outsider's perspective it seems like when played well, Sonic is essentially a fancier version of Dragon's Lair. Is that actually true, and if it is is that a good thing?

jothki on
  • Options
    Scott_CameronScott_Cameron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This made my brain die a little.

Scott_Cameron on
    Young+Scott.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

no.

Meh.

Okay, then have the guy who did the Sonic Rush soundtrack do a CD of remixes of the original Sonic game's music.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    2d. PSN, PSP, DS, and XBLA (and Wii Ware if that ever actually exists).

2d Sonics have always been better than 3d.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would say have them play the Dream cast Sonic game, and then replicate that as much as possible. God damn were the Sonic levels really hearty, and there really were fucking huge, fun, fast and above all, entertaining.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Planet mobius.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    FUCK YOU!

Do not change Sonic physically.

Change him back. Look how much he's changed, and how stupid he looks now:

teamsonic291004qw0.jpg
    new

sonic102sg4.jpg
    old

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, we don't want a complex story.

See the Mario games? Princess has been kidnapped. Save her.

That works.

Animals have been captured, save them.

That also works.

Sonic has been sucked into a magical book wherein he has to save Arabia from an evil djin? That does not work. Stop being silly.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Get rid of the human world story. that shit is just plain creepy and retarded.
    Sonic should be saving animals not some stupid human princess or what ever he does now. ugh.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah the old is more laid back cool Sonic, the new one is "edgy cool" Sonic. The quotations are for NOT FUCKING TRUE.

Hoz on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

no.

Meh.

Okay, then have the guy who did the Sonic Rush soundtrack do a CD of remixes of the original Sonic game's music.

Just play some Jet Set Radio in the meantime. That's Naganuma at his finest.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    I can't answer this myself due to never being a Sega fan, but what exactly was the spirit of Sonic back then? People always say "going really fast", but was was there anything more to it than that?

From an outsider's perspective it seems like when played well, Sonic is essentially a fancier version of Dragon's Lair. Is that actually true, and if it is is that a good thing?

People who say that don't know what the hell sonic was about. Sonic wasn't about going fast. Sonic 1 was a straight up adventure game. It was a 2D Indiana Jones. You were swinging across chasms of lava, outrunning rolling boulders, being thrown into water ways while trying to hold onto poles to position yourself, etc. It was a platforming game at heart, with speed being the connecting pieces.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Giving the franchise to Bioware may be the solution to all our problems. Ill withhold judgement on the Sonic title until that game is out. It could be glorious.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sonic

Tails

Knuckles

Period.

Except Amy. But they need to ratchet back the insanity, and make her play like she did in SA except a lot faster and with actual levels rather than avoiding some stupid robot chasing her around. Unless the robot can actually chase her and keep up so you have to work to avoid it.

Aydr on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    if they have to really go 3d sonic. for the love of god spend a good amount of development time on a good camera system. seriously, some of these new sonic wouldn't be half as bad if it wasn't for the camera.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Basically, build the gameplay first. Make the actual game fun to play. Do this before you make up a story. Do this before you design levels. Then design the levels to fit the fun gameplay you built.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    deltasdeltas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i think they should give shadow a gun

that would be pretty cool

deltas on
    2b1cae4d81b80fa87fa61a9e1edb788b.gif
  • Options
    doughboyXdoughboyX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SEGA should either:

1. Make a 3D platformer that doesn't suck. Sonic Adventure was OK, Sonic Adventure 2 was great, every 3D Sonic platformer since has been a HUGE disappointment.

2. Just go back to the old style of play, like Sonic Rush.

3. Shake things up, like they are with that Sonic RPG for DS. source: http://ds.ign.com/objects/856/856273.html

4. Screw making new Sonic games altogether and just make old ones downloadable, so we can feel like it's 1994 again, when Sonic didn't suck.

But there's one, undisputed thing that everyone knows they should do (and has already been said in this very thread): cut off the oozing slack of useless characters.

doughboyX on
    Currently playing: Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You think you can save Sonic TSR? Good luck.

How about something like the Sonic/Shadow levels from SA 2. Only a full game of them. With better boss fights.

Also, why not make a sonic/metroid hybrid? Worked for Castlevania...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576