As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Clone Wars (Attack of the Revenge of the Menace)

HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Critical Failures
openingcrawl2ob4.jpg

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
Horseshoe on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Nar'aval and his padawan Casso stood patiently outside the closed doors of the Jedi High Council Chamber. Though the Temple was always a place of stillness, there seemed to be an uneasiness draped everywhere. As the Separatist Crisis grew, so too did tension in even the most serene of minds. To one attuned to the Force it was palpable, like a hard rain before thunder.

No reason had been given for the meeting. The Council was becoming more secretive with each passing day. This seemed like a prelude to another unfriendly negotiation. Another security act in the Senate. Another nick taken from the blades of the Jedi.

They had stood outside the doors for at least ten minutes past their appointed time. Nar Aval couldn't help but suppress a slight smile as his mind, patient as it was, inevitably wandered a bit. It occurred to him that Kenobi must be in there... he always talked too much.
    Salt and Jim, we won't be starting encounters 'til tuesday probably, just wanted to get this up before I leave for the weekend. If you guys want to RP a little bit standing outside the door and having a little knight-padawan discourse, go for it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "Master?" said Casso, interrupting the Jedi's reverie. "I don't understand why we're being cut out of the loop. The Jedi are the longest arm the Council can wield, and they don't let us know anything until it's already happened... and not even always then."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nar considered Casso's concerns silently for a long moment; with Nar, consideration was always given proper time.

"It is best, Casso, to trust in the Council's decisions. We will know what we need to know when we need to know it. We are, as you say, an arm, and we leave it to the head to think." Nar spoke calmly and precisely, and it was often difficult to tell if he spoke earnestly or in jest.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    "I suppose you are right, Master, as always--except for last week." Casso grinned. "It's just, everything is so... angry, lately. It's like there isn't just one huge fracture in the galactic government, there's many, and one of them is between the Council and the Jedi. It feels like we have to struggle just to convince the Council they need our help."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The doors to the High Council Chambers opened. As Nar had suspected, Kenobi and Skywalker walked out. He and Obi-Wan nodded at each other, and his old friend's face was an open book. He saw the difficulty of bringing up a young padawan in days that glorified military action, the difficulty of being the defender of a struggling republic... of obeying a Council that seemed to drift ever further from the force.

"Step forward, Jedi. The council has an important matter to discuss with you," intoned the deep voice of Master Windu.

Nar Aval walked to the center of the floor, his Padawan staying close behind. Though he had stood before the council before, they reamained somewhat intimidating... perhaps enhanced by the mysterious nature of the meeting.

"The Chancellor has recieved a transmission from a planet called Bunduki a distant part of the galaxy, the Parcanth Reach," continued Windu. "We believe that the Separatists are attempting to bring them to their cause. This part of the galaxy is all but unknown to the Republic, and the Chancellor wishes you to convince them of the Republic's merits and keep them from the influence of the Separatists. He believes he can make a convincing case to give them a seat in the Senate."

"At the edge of the galaxy, the Dark Side I sense," spoke Master Yoda in a serious tone, "To discover the true nature of this threat, your talents we trust. Great care you must take. When prepared you are, to the Senate Hangar go and meet Master Tiin. When clearer this situation becomes, contact the council you must."

"May The Force be with you."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nar stood still and silent after the orders were received, after the abrupt dismissal immediately following. His lips still carried the ever-slight smile he wore walking in, and his lekku kept still. Nevertheless, the long, silent response spoke volumes.

"As you wish, Councilmen; Force be with you."

Nar turned his head to face his padawan; Nar felt it was important that those involved should have their say, and would not leave without allowing Casso his own opportunity to speak.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso opened his mouth. He wanted badly to speak his mind about the disunity he felt, how he thought that the councilmen had their heads buried in the sand, but at the same time his overwhelming respect for what the Jedi masters arrayed before him represented--stoic justice, and the absolute certainty of correctness--moved to choke that sentiment back. After all, how could the noble Jedi be at fault? For half a second, he teetered mentally. Then:

"You can have faith in us. May the Force be with you, Masters."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nara'val nodded ever-so-slightly to Casso, then to the Council; he bowed before them and turned on his heel, marched his way out of the Council's chamber.

In the hallway, his lekku shivered; "Politics," he said with a grin, that same damn grin he wore whenever he was near other Jedi. "We shouldn't delay. Is there anything you need before we head on to the hangar?"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "No, Master." Casso paused for a second. "Nothing."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Then I believe," Nar Aval said and briefly paused, "Then I believe we should be on our way. What Master Yoda said -- I'd suspect the Chancellor's concerns are just a cover; I suppose more will become clear when we arrive."

Nar Aval walked on at a comfortable pace, not moving hurriedly nor leisurely. "The Parcanth Reach -- does that sound familiar to you?"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Vaguely," the Padawan replied. "It seems like I've read something about it somewhere.

"What was the planet's name? Bunduki?... Bunduki! That's where the Steel Hand martial art originated! It was only a small part of my training, but Master Koon knows more about it, I think. Anyway, that's all I know about the Pacanth Reach."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Steel Hand? That doesn't sound terribly familiar," Nar noted, "But I haven't followed martial arts for years; doesn't seem prudent anymore."

Nar continued on for some time, silently.

"We'll have to see what we can gleam from the ship's library on the trip about the Reach. I'd rather not be going into this blind, and if there's a Dark Side presence..." Nar trailed off as the pair stepped through the hangar doors.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    At the landing dock, the Jedi found a Consular-Class Cruiser awaiting them, it's hull, painted a metallic red to denote its diplomatic function, gleamed in the setting sun above Coruscant. It was much more than they had expected in a transport, but still came as a relief, considering that a long length of time in hyperspace in a small ship might be a challenge of both patience and stamina, even for a Jedi.

Master Tiin approached as two Judicial Forces members clad in slate-gray uniforms boarded the ship. True to the reputation that he went to business with little formality, the Iktotchi's greeting was only a nod. He handed the Knight and Padawan each a cloak and a belt.

"Take these, from what little we know about Bunduki you're going to need them. And perhaps I'm being a little cautious, but I insisted that you take the Reckoning V here," he said, proudly motioning to the Consular-Class ship behind him, "She's been modified for minimum crew and a couple of turbolaser turrets... well concealed of course... as well as a small hangar. There are two of the new Delta-7's in there. Most Jedi haven't had the chance to pilot one. If you run into any trouble they'll do nicely."

Master Tiin straightened a bit, looking behind the two Jedi. "This is an unexpected surprise..." he said quietly, and as the Jedi turned they saw the approach of Chancellor Palpatine, flanked by a pair of Senate Guards. Palpatine, now known as "Supreme Chancellor", was growing more powerful all the time. It seemed as if each day the senate voted him more power and more responsibility. It was surprising indeed to see him making such a candid appearance to bid his goodbyes to two Jedi.

"Greetings, Master Tiin. I don't mean to delay this mission, but I wanted to give personal thanks to your young Jedi. The necessity of this task cannot be underestimated, and I am glad you have seen fit to put two of your finest up to the job."

"Of course, Chancellor," said Saesee Tiin with his usual militant seriousness, "the Jedi are always proud to serve the Republic."

Palpatine faced the Knight directly, wearing his signature smile with a touch of sadness, "Nar Aval... it is unfortunate that we have not met until now. Master Sifo-Dyas was a great asset to the Republic, and his foresight... and friendship... are greatly missed. I am glad to see that the Council has recognized the worthiness of his successor."

Palpatine continued as he looked toward Casso: "And I must say that I am quite impressed that House Antilles maintains its reputation as a defender of the Republic, though it no longer may boast a senate delegate. You are the spitting image of your brother Raymus at your age... truly there is no end to the sacrifices the noblest house of Alderaan will make for the Republic."

The Supreme Chancellor nodded to his guards, preparing to leave.
    Jedi Master Tiin has given you the following items:

* All-Temperature Cloak (2)
    grants a +5 Equipment Bonus to Fortitude Defense against Extreme Weather

* Utility Belt (2)
    contents:
    3 day supply of food capsules
    medpac (bandages, bacta, synthetic skin, coagulants, stimulants, misc. medicines)
    small tool kit (hydrospanner, power calibrator, shock probe, sonic welder, wires and connectors)
    1 power pack, 1 energy cell, 1 glowrod, 1 liquid cable dispenser w/ small grappling hook
    aquata rebreather
    canteen with water purifier

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    After the ship's departure, when it had settled into hyperspace, Nar seated himself at one of the cruiser's computer terminals. He had told Casso to go to his quarters and meditate, but was quite sure that the young padawan was in the hangar inspecting the new Delta-7 Aethersprite starfighters. He called up the information from the Jedi archives that had been uploaded into the ship's computer. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to discover.

The last records of the Pacanth Reach dated to before the time of the Ruusan Reformation nearly a thousand years ago. History remembered these days as the Dark Age of the Republic, when the Sith Brotherhood of Darkness clashed with the Jedi Army of Light.

The Pacanth Reach was a place of intese fighting during this period. The Sith rampaged through the galaxy, and during part of their campaing they waged massive battles against the Jedi and Republic in the Pacanth Star Cluster. Panatha, Fornow, Ravaath, Sorimow, and Bunduki all sustained heavy fighting from ground assault as well as orbital bombardments.

Many Sith and Jedi perished on these worlds, felled not only by conventional weapons. Twisted creatures born of Sith Alchemy and cybernetic experimentation were unleashed with horrific results. Previous records indicate that either Lord Kaan or Darth Ruin may have been the leader of the Sith forces in these battles, and that the manipulation of The Force employed by the dark lord was devastating to native life forms.

There were a few maps of the inhabited worlds, including Bunduki, but little else. Sentient life on Bunduki were predominantly human, and also many were of a near-human species known as Epicanthix, native to the nearby planet of Panatha. The climate appeared to be a bit cold, due to the near-continual storms that cover its skies and reflect a great deal of solar radiation.

Nar reviewed the information that the Chancellor's Office had provided the Jedi. Its militant brevity left something to be desired.

"Recieved Contact from Lady Pike, Governess of Äslajä. Assassinations and terrorist activity in central government areas. Her reports strongly suggest Separatist influence. A show of negotiation without force from the Republic may bring stability to the Pacanth Reach, prevent further Separatist Encroachment. Chancellor has significant support from the Loyalist Faction, can offer the Pacanth Reach a seat in the Galactic Senate. Pacanth Reach is somewhat isolated, some effort may be required to demonstrate to the threat that the Separatists pose to peace and security."

Nar leaned back in his seat, staring at the screen. Something was missing...

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso Jung ran his hand over the wing of the Aethersprite. The ship had that new feeling, almost an aura about it, that made it a joy to touch. Casso felt a little like he was opening a present early. He popped the cockpit open and slipped into the pilot's seat. Very nice, he thought. He slid the seat forward just a touch and sat there in the ship for a minute, feeling it as best he could.

I wonder how bad the situation is, he thought as he stood up and jumped down from the fighter. The Chancellor doesn't just come to see every Jedi off on their missions. Lost in thought, he shut the cockpit slowly and began to walk idly up and down the hangar.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    After well over a week in hyperspace, the Reckoning V arrived at Bunduki. From the observation platform, the Jedi could see a planet wreathed in slate-gray clouds. They were greeted by a small contingent of starfighters, mostly Z-95 Headhunters. After a terse conversation with the Judicial Forces pilots, the Cruiser to land at the capital, Äslajä. Lady Pike, they said, would meet the Republic's ambassadors near the landing platform to which they were directed. The view below revealed a city that was mostly enclosed, presumably because of the weather.

After landing, the pilots stayed aboard the cruiser, hoping to get a bit of maintenance done during their stay. The Jedi exited and drew their cloaks about them in the howling wind and rain. After what seemed like a long walk from the landing platform, they entered the city through a large sliding door.

Inside they were greeted by three figures, a woman flanked by two guards. They were all at least six and a half feet in height, dark-haired, and quite attractive by human standards. Nar caught some strange looks from the guards... they had obviously never laid eyes on a Twi'Lek before. The female, however, maintained an air of diplomatic grace and betrayed no such surprise.

"Welcome to Äslajä, friends, I am Governess Pike," she said, with a slight bow. "We are happy to recieve the Republic... but I had thought that perhaps there would be... a few more of you. Please follow me, we can find a place where you might dry off and we can talk further."

After introductions, Lady Pike led the Jedi into the City. The seemed to be standing upon the uppermost level of Äslajä. Overhead, rain could be seen furiously pelting its transparent roof. The city was filled with the dull roar of the downpour and the activity of the citizens below.

"I am relieved that the Republic has answered our call for help. We have recently become threated by terrorists, and our intelligence indicates that they are being aided by a group from outside our cluster... one that we have heard the Republic struggles with as well. Do not worry, though, the upper level here is quite secure."
    Okay Jedi... time for perception checks! And roll initiative while you're at it. :)

Nar Aval's character sheet

Casso Jung's character sheet

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso stayed a bit back from his Master, dripping quietly. He knew it was not his place to say anything (yet, at least), and so he took in as much of his surroundings as he could without blatantly craning his head to look. Something seemed a little bit off, for some reason.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nar kept his eyes open and wits about him, underneath the pattering of the rain.

"We are pleased to be of service, Governess," he spoke, "And whatever information you might have for us regarding the terrorists would only be beneficial." Nar's eyes wandered, picked up every little thing, but he kept his focus on the Governess nonetheless. "We will, of course, do everything in our power to aid the people of Äslajä. There are things the Republic would have us discuss with you -- but I think perhaps we are not as secure as you'd suggest."

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    As they made their way through the city over a narrow walkway, Nar spied a figure in the distance, hidden behind a few scattered crates... and the rifle he held at the ready was distinctly pointed in their direction.
    Assassin has been seen as Nar's perception check opposed his check for Deception (1d20+8=25)

I'm assuming that Nar is going to alert the group to the sniper, which means the opponents are aware of each other and combat begins.

Initiative Order:

1 - Casso (27)
    2 - Guards (1d20+9=17)
    3 - Assassin (1d20+10=16)
    4 - Lady Pike (1d20+2=14)
    5 - Nar (14, rolled lower than Lady Pike)

It's Casso's Turn!

Feel free to peep the stat blocks in OOC thread, and you'll know if your attacks are successful. Note that the Assassin currently has cover, granting him a +5 to his Reflex Defense.

Map:
    encounter1startoy8.jpg
    Blue dot is the assassin, P is Lady Pike, N is Nar, C is Casso, G1 and G2 are guards. Also, I screwed up because Guard 1 should be in the square directly in front of Lady Pike. All doors on this map are currently closed.
    If you move this round, you can either draw where you went and repost the image, or just describe it, f'rexample: one square up and five squares left)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Get the Lady back!" yelled Casso, as he went sprinting forward, past the group. The assassin was so far away... As he ran, he calmed himself, drawing all his energy together. He turned the corner, running harder. As he rounded the top of the turbolift, he could see a ledge only a couple meters away.

He leapt.

The assassin saw the robed figure hurtling through the air, and opened fire. A blaster bolt ripped apart the air where Casso's chest had been a tenth of a second before as he rolled through the air. Righting himself just as he landed, he skidded sideways in a crouch, putting one hand to the ground and pulling his lightsaber from his belt with the other.

Surge check (1d20+10=17)

used up one Force point to add 2 squares to my movement and 10 to my Jump check. Total Force points: 6

Jump check plus Surge plus Force Point (1d20+35=45)

End result: moved a total of six squares over, six up from his former position.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    The Governess' bodyguards opened fire on the Assassin's position, their shots blasting into his makeshift fortifications. Sparks, debris, and smoke filled the air as the sound of blaster fire echoed from the ceiling of the city.

The Assassin stayed low as the shots blazed around him. From his position, Casso could see the human grab a comlink from his pocket and yell into the roar.

"My cover is blown! Get out here before I get smoked, you karking idiots!" he screamed, before dropping the comlink and quickly firing a shot at the young padawan. Casso ducked, and the blaster bolt slammed into a nearby terminal. He winced slightly as the hot embers of the exploded terminal pelted his skin, suddenly remembering the time Nar had once told him: "look before you leap".

Nar'aval kept his reserve amidst the calm... he had felt that something about this situation had yet to present itself, and the assassin's call had revealed his suspicions to be correct. The turbolift doors before them opened to reveal four more assailants (who appeared to be wearing poor imitations of the uniforms worn by Lady Pike's bodyguards), and a pair of doors behind opened to find three more.

The Lady herself reacted with the steely visage of a military commander. Her manner revealed that her people's fighting nature was not only reflected by their physical build, but in her spirit as well.

"Hold fast!" her charismatic voice boomed above the din of blaster fire, "Show these cowards what you're made of!"

The Lady pulled a small pistol from a concealed holster at her hip and fired upon the men in the turbolift. Though her aim was not true, sparks rained down upon their heads as they hastily drew their pistols and blades.

Nar felt the heightened sense of awareness that came in the heat of battle: the smell of burning metal in the air, the cool water dripping from his clothes... and the weight of the lightsaber at his belt.

Guards: Both Guards stay put, attack Assassin. Both Guards have +1 to hit with Point Blank Shot.

Guard 1 attacks Assassin
    Attack (1d20+6=25)+1=26, successful. Damage (3d6=12)

Guard 2 attacks Assassin
    Attack (1d20+6=19)+1=20, unsuccessful

Assassin:
    Move action: Manipulate Object (comlink)
    Swift action: Activate Object (comlink)
    Standard Action: Fire weapon at Casso, +1 to hit with Point Blank Shot
    Attack (1d20+6=17)+1=18, successful.
    Damage (3d8+2=13)

Henchmen
    Swift action: Open Doors
    Move action: Draw Pistols
    Move Action: Draw Vibroblades

Lady Pike
    Swift Action: Born Leader, all allies in line of sight now have +1 to attacks for the rest of the encounter.
    Move Action: Draws blaster
    Standard Action: Fires blaster at Henchman 3
    Attack (1d20+2=7), unsuccessful

HP Tally:
    Lady Pike: 22/22
    Casso: 35/48
    Nar:87/87
    Guard 1: 21/21
    Guard 2: 21/21
    Assassin: 15/27
    Henchman 1: 9/9
    Henchman 2: 9/9
    Henchman 3: 9/9
    Henchman 4: 9/9
    Henchman 5: 9/9
    Henchman 6: 9/9
    Henchman 7: 9/9

Map:
    encounter1round1jq4.jpg
    Casso, of course, is 6 right and 6 up from his current position... I'll have it correct on the next map.

It is now Nar's Turn!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nara'val exhaled slowly as Casso darted away at the first sign of danger; he took in the events around him silently, motionlessly.

He stared into the crowd of assailants from the lift; his saber's hilt lifted from his belt and with a hiss, its neon-yellow glow erupted into life. Nar wrapped his hands around the hilt and assumed the stance of an Ataru master, tempered with his own driven determination; even as blaster shots rang out around him, he maintained his calm stillness.

The nearest of the thugs in the lift faltered and began his retreat.
    Mind Trick [Terror] (1d20+17=30)
    Standard Action: Mind Trick [Terror] @ H3
    Move Action: Draw Lightsaber
    Swift Action: Ignite Lightsaber

It's Your Turn Casso Jeez

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Stupid! Casso cursed himself as the terminal sparked beside him. The Jedi way is not that of an impudent child! You know that!

Alright, the damage is done. Time to do well at what I can do.
    Igniting his lightsaber in a crackle of yellow plasma, he placed one foot on the side of the broken terminal and launched himself sideways, as two red streaks of energy raced by him. He sprinted toward the assassin, batting another blaster bolt aside. As Casso brought his lightsaber around in an arc, the assassin came up with the butt of his rifle and knocked Casso's arm aside. The lightsaber scored a deep gash in the nearest packing crate.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Blaster shots rocked the main walkway as the Lady's bodyguards and their attackers, pressing from both sides began to fire upon each other. Sparks flew as bolts continued to ricochet and blast into the polished metal of the city's upper level. The bodyguards held their ground, felling one of the assailants to the rear with a well-placed shot as one to the fore ran in terror at Nar's intimidating visage. Master Fisto had taught him well... with a little help from the force an enemy could be defeated with only a smile.

Lady Pike took cover between her guards and pulled a comlink from beneath her coat, and shouted above the din of the firefight: "Security breach on upper level! I repeat, security breach! Immediate lockdown on all levels, any personnel on upper level get to the west turbolift immediately!"

Casso, meanwhile, continued to struggle with the would-be sniper on the opposite walkway. Though the assassin had knocked him off balance, the young Padawan skillfully used his momentum to place a kick to the back of his opponents leg, causing him to fall backwards, discharging his rifle harmlessly to the side. As the assassin got back to his feet Casso regained his focus and tightly gripped his saber with both hands. He assumed the opening stance of Ataru, emulating the aggressive style of his master. He was determined to end the fight with his next move.
    Guard 1 fires on Henchman 4
    Attack Roll (1d20+7=19)+1=20, successful, Damage (3d6=7)

Guard 2 fires on Henchman 6
    Attack Roll (1d20+7=17)+1=18, successful, Damage (3d6=12), Henchman 7's hit points are reduced to 0 and his threshold was exceeded -- he's dead.

Assassin
    Move Action: Acrobatics check to move 3 squares without provoking AoO, Acrobatics Check (1d20+10=17), success.
    Standard Action: fires at Casso, Attack Roll (1d20+7=8), complete miss!

Henchman 1
    Move Action: Moves 1 square up to doorway, next to the controls
    Standard Action: Shoots at Nar, Attack Roll (1d20+1=7)

Henchman 2
    Standard Action: Shoots at Bodyguard 1, Attack Roll (1d20+1=13), success, Damage (3d6=13)

Henchman 3
    Double moves off of the right side of the map, fleeing in terror for the next 10 rounds from Nar's Mind Trick!

Henchman 4
    Move Action: Moves 1 square to gain cover from Bodyguard 1
    Standard Action: Shoots at Bodyguard 1, Attack Roll (1d20+1=19), success, Damage (3d6=5)

Henchman 5
    Moves Action: Moves to cover behind boxes
    Standard Action: Fires on Bodyguard 2, Attack Roll (1d20+1=3)

Henchman 6
    Dead!

Henchman 7
    Standard Action: Fires on Bodyguard 2, Attack Roll (1d20+1=16), success, Damage (3d6=12)
    Move Action: Moves to cover.

Lady Pike
    Standard Action: Fights Defensively without attacking, grants her a +5 to defense until her next turn
    Move Action: Draws Comlink
    Swift Action: Activates Comlink

HP Tally
    Casso: 35/48
    Guard 1: 3/21
    Guard 2: 9/21
    Henchman 1: 9/9
    Henchman 3: Ran away
    Henchman 4: 2/9
    Henchman 5: 9/9
    Henchman 6: Dead

Map:
    encounter1round2fz3.jpg

It's Nar's Turn!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nar had kept calm and still for long enough; he felt he was sure of the situation, as aware of his surroundings as he could be. When that moment came, his body erupted into action, and he all but flew some sixteen meters, to stand face-to-face (and side-by-side) with the thugs. His lightsaber hummed quietly and left a millisecond blur in his wake.

Nar initiated his attack forcefully, with a two-handed grip and broad, precise swings.

The first of his targets was removed from the battle with an overhead swing, an opening granted Nar by his clumsy knife-fighting. The lightsaber cut him deep, from shoulder to belly, and he collapsed; Nar continued his assault, for the moment inconsiderate of the death.
    Move Action: Five spaces right, One space down
    Standard Action attack vs h1 (1d20+12=14, 2d8+10=17)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso came out of the balanced Ataru stance in a blur of yellow. The assassin responded in a flurry of red. For a moment, as the Padawan closed the gap between the two, they held the very elements between them in deadly battle.

The critical moment: Casso swings his lightsaber. A blaster bolt rakes by his hip, and he twirls to avoid it. In that split second, the assassin ducks and the Padawan slashes a deep gap in the restaurant wall.

He backed off. This agent was pretty good.
    movement: one square southeast for a total of two movement points used.

lightsaber attack against assassin (1d20+6=12, 2d8+5=11)

:(

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    With Nar handling at the situation at the turbolift, both guards focused on the attackers to the west end of the platform as Lady Pike continued to spur them on. The firing intensified, and one of the Governess' bodyguards fell as his vest exploded in a blaze of blaster bolts after killing another attacker with a well-aimed shot.

The Jedi Knight evaded more clumsy vibroblade attacks... these ill-trained thugs were little match the quick and evasive footwork of an Ataru master. One cut he actually had to block with his saber... and Nar was surprised to discover that the blade met the saber without being sheared against it's energy beam, instead crackling with resistance and throwing sparks.

Nar's hapless Padawan still had his hands full. The assassin had dexterously avoided his attack yet again, and retreated under a hail of sparks, bringing his weapon to bear upon the young Jedi once more. This time the assassin's feet were squarely beneath him, and Casso was barely able to deflect a well-aimed blaster bolt that would otherwise have burned a hole through his chest.
    Bodyguard 1 attacks Henchman 5
    Attack Roll (1d20+8=10)

Bodyguard 2 moves, attacks Henchman 5
    Attack Roll (1d20+8=24), success, Damage (3d6=12), henchman's damage threshold is exceeded, he dies

Assassin withdraws, shoots at Casso
    Attack Roll (1d20+6=19), success Damage (3d8+2=16)

Henchman 2 attacks Nar
    Attack Roll (1d20+2=5)

Henchman 4 attacks Nar
    Attack Roll (1d20+2=9)

Henchman 7 shoots Guard 1
    Attack Roll (1d20+1=20), success, Damage (3d6=3), Guard 1 is unconscious

Lady Pike
    Attack Roll (1d20+3=13)

HP Tally:
    Casso: 19/48
    Guard 1: unconscious
    Henchman 1: Dead
    Henchman 4: 2/9
    Henchman 5: Dead

Map:
    encounter1round3at5.jpg
    edit: Shit, G1 should be unconscious in the square just north of G2.

It's Nar's Turn!

Jim: Casso's in trouble... he might consider using Force Slam or adding a force point to his attack roll next round.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nar's lightsaber was a flurry, and he parried their incoming swings and jabs expertly; sparks showered about the combatants like the rain showered onto the dome.

The attackers were clumsy and moved like molasses next to the Jedi knight, who used his weapon like an extension of himself -- it did not take long for both of the remaining henchmen to be slain, each sustaining several fatal wounds before collapsing to the ground.

Nar reclaimed his calm as the duo hit the floor, and cursed silently for their deaths.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso could barely believe the skill and luck of the assassin. There were few agents who could stand to the might of a Jedi--even a mere Padawan. His aggressive lightsaber technique seemed to be doing little against the nimble assassin, who continued to juke and feint out of the way as Casso charged again and again. It was time, Casso decided, to call on the Force as a weapon. He did not like to use the Force to strike others, but the situation was dire. As a flare of red plasma darted by him, he slipped, for the briefest fraction of a moment, into the proper mindframe.

a place
    dark black and bright vivid white
    passion and calmness
    the arteries of the universe
    picture your presence in the FORCE
    let its currents guide and warm you
    reach out
    take hold of it just one strand a ribbon
    bring it to you make it your own revere it cherish it ask its forgiveness

use it

Casso's left hand flew out, fingers spread and palm toward the assassin. The man was flung backwards into the restaurant wall, as though struck by a club his size fivefold. He dragged himself to his feet, scalp bleeding where he had struck his head, breath hitching where he had broken a rib.
    UTF check: 25. Damage: 11.

A hit! A palpable hit! For reserve, I'll lay by some venomous distillment!

...of the Force!

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Under a hail of blaster fire, the remaining bodyguard charged with a shout, running around the obstacles between he and his assailant, blasting him from only a few meters away with a shot that exploded his blaster and burned into his chest. The final comrade of the assassin fell in an explosion that was heard throughout the upper level... and probably in the one below as well.

Lady Pike ran to her fallen soldier nearby, stripping off his vest. Nar glanced back for a moment, and could feel that his life force was waning... the Governess attempted to revive him, but to no avail. She shouted into her comlink: "Man down! Repeat, Man down! Where the hell are you?!"

Meanwhile, the assassin had got to his feet, and snarled at Casso, wiping the blood from his forehead. "Karking j'dai!" he shouted, letting off a single decisive bolt. Casso swerved and failed to block the blast with his lightsaber, and it stung him in the shoulder, burning through his robes... and he could not contain a shout of pain and surprise. The assassin laughed through his own pain as he backpedaled, taunting the young padawan with a "come hither" gesture.

Nar paused for a moment as he heard the shout... he hadn't exactly said "Jedi"... but it was pretty close, and how could a man this far out have known? The thought passed as the retreating assassin came into view, and the eyes of the knight and his padawan's tormentor met one another.

With a glance, the Assassin saw Nar, saber drawn, cool and collected, with the fallen bodies of his comrades around him... a look of panic crossed his face, and he cursed loudly in a strange language and flipped a switch on his blaster carbine. Nar was quite sure that he wasn't setting the weapon to stun... the man's next shot would be a lethal barrage of automatic fire.
    Bodyguard 2
    Move Action: moves to avoid henchman's cover
    Standard Action: attacks Henchman 7, Attack Roll (1d20+8=13), success, Damage (3d6=13), henchman dies.

Lady Pike
    Talks on comlink, attends to fallen bodyguard
    Treat Injury Check (1d20+6=14), fails.

Assassin
    Standard Action: Fires at Casso, Attack Roll (1d20+7=17), success, Damage (3d8+2=10)
    Move Action: Moves farther out of range
    Swift Action: sets weapon to autofire mode

Lady Pike
    Talks on comlink, attends to fallen bodyguard
    Treat Injury Check (1d20+6=14), fails.

HP Tally
    Casso: 9/48 (!)
    Guard 1: unconscious
    Assassin: 4/27
    Henchman 1: Dead
    Henchman 2: Dead
    Henchman 4: Dead
    Henchman 5: Dead
    Henchman 7: Dead

Map
    encounter1round4qq2.jpg

It's Nar's Turn

Jim: don't forget your "second wind".

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Normally, Nar would tell his Padawan to face his own obstacles -- especially those he'd brought upon himself -- but he knew that if the would-be assassin was still on his feet and fighting, then Casso must be in a hard spot; few can stand up to a Jedi so well.

His lightsaber hummed through the air as he began to move, not slowly at first but from a stand-still to a full-on run, all but threw himself at and onto the assassin with his lightsaber whirling like so much water down the drain;

And the assassin danced about Nar's blade, ducked and bobbed and swept; one-upped the Jedi Knight, who kept his calm and maintained the attack -- kept his calm and maintained his assault until the assassin faltered -- and took the assailant down in one last graceful swing.
    Free Action: Use the Force: Surge (1d20+17=29)
    Swift Action: Use the Force: Battle Strike (1d20+17=31)
    Move Action: Seven right, One up
    Standard Action: Attack vs Assassin (1d20+13=19, 2d8+3d6+10=35) Hit

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    This of course is after Salt has altered his post to reflect that he indeed vaulted across the room and acrobatically owned the assassin with his saber.

The Jedi had survived the day... above the Lady's shouts for assistance over the 'com and the sound of approaching footsteps, the rain could once again be heard pattering upon the roof of the city. The smell of burnt metal, blaster exhaust and seared flesh filled the air.

Casso held his smouldering blaster wound. He was lucky to have taken it in the shoulder... but he still felt the blistering heat of the blast in his flesh, and his body beaded with sweat, slightly shaky. A look from his master caused him to gather himself and stand up straight and tall.

Soon, a troupe of more guards showed up, and seemed to be making straight for the Jedi with hostile intent. The Queen ran up, shouting at them: "Stand down, you idiots! These are ambassadors from the Republic, and if not for them we would all be dead... no thanks to your lack of speed in responding to the call of your commander-in-chief!"

"I apologize your Ladyship," said a trooper wearing an officer's insignia on his vest as he stepped forward, "The citadel was under attack as well... a small force, but enough to delay us. I can only assume that it was meant to distract the guards from the assassination attempt. I believe they had some sort of short-range frequency disruptor... we tried to hail you as soon as they attacked and could not reach you."

"We must get back to the Citadel quickly! Lead the way, Captain Del. And get Kor over there into medical as soon as possible... do it quickly, he's fading fast."

"Yes, my lady."

As four troopers deployed a stretcher and ran to the Citadel as quickly as possible, the Lady and the two Jedi were escorted by a contingent of fifteen troops. After a moment of silence and looking around, the Lady seemed to fall back into her more affable and diplomatic manner.

"So..." the Lady said, turning her head toward Nar, "Am I correct in my suspicion that you are -- and I apologize if I am not pronouncing this correctly -- Jedi?"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Perhaps we are just very capable swordsmen," Nar suggested with a grin. His lightsaber had found it's way to his belt by now, and he once again was walking and talking in that unconcerned, even uninterested tone.

"I think we have quite a bit to discuss, but first: One of the assailants fled; we need to capture him before he can escape to his superiors. Can your men be trusted to handle this, or should I go myself?"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "This level is on full lockdown... which means he's not getting out and has few places to hide," stated Lady Pike. "But you are correct, it is imperitave that we question him. This sort of attack is unprecedented, and I want to know why and how these miscreants were able to assault me where I am safest."

Though Lady Pike seemed quite sure of her city's security... but the Jedi sensed in her the overconfidence that many rulers adopt in troubled times, when there is little else to which one might cling. Attachment was dangerous indeed... even the wisest can be blinded by it.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso followed close to his master, disappointed in his failure. He had acted too quickly and had paid the price for his haste. Still, no matter how deserved he felt it was, that hole in his shoulder hurt. Plus, it wasn't very becoming for a representative of the Republic to be walking around in scorched robes.

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Even with concerns about the woman's confidence -- Nar really didn't need to look past her first claim to security, which was followed almost immediately by blaster fire.

Nar shook his head. "Do not be offended, ma'am. I will find the survivor -- even on lockdown, there are countless places he might hide." Nar turned to face Casso and spoke; "Stay with the Governess -- learn what you can from her, yes? I will return."

Nar turned away from the governess and his padawan, and closed his eyes -- he scanned all about himself for the tiny disturbances of the Force that every dark sider left in their wake.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nar felt the presence of the escaped attacker quite clearly... he was still in the city, but was no longer on the first level... probably three or four levels down. The dark side was not particularly strong in this place... the occasional hum in the background of dark thoughts, men cheating at cards or breaking the law... but this man was distinct, a dark spot. And he was on the move.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Casso turned to the Lady. He intended to inquire as to her well-being after the battle, and then ask her about her planet, but he stopped. It was as though his larynx had rebelled. He hadn't really looked at the Lady, thus far, but looking at her now, she was radiant: flushed with excitement, tall and dark... and beautiful.

Casso blushed. Stop that, he told himself. You've already messed up being a Jedi once today, don't go running your mind on lewd thoughts too.

The Lady was grinning. By the Force, how much of what he was thinking could she tell?! He consciously pushed all thoughts from his head and regained his composure.

"Milady, I'm sorry our introduction to your fair planet has been so marred. Hopefully, after this unpleasant business has been resolved, I'll be able to see the sights. However, until then, would it please you to tell me a little bit about Bunduki? Specifically, this city, Aaslajaa."

jimninja on
    0198ec55.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Nar centered himself on the Dark Side emanation and began to move as a brisk walk; he didn't expect he needed to run, not yet, but eventually, he would. He made his way to the Turbolift; it seemed like a safer option than the alternative of hurling himself ninety meters down.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    "Jedi," the Lady called after Nar as he moved to the turbolift, "will you require the assistance of your inquisitive young apprentice? If not, I can see that his wounds are attended to and see to it that he is rested when you return."

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg