Options

Rally games, Sega Rally demo on Live [56K is a bad idea]

EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
So I made a thread about Rally games about six months ago, and it seemed to go over well, so I thought I'd bam another one out since DiRT just came out, and Sega Rally 2007 is set to hit later this month. 2:23 in the morning is a terrible time to start a new thread, but whatever.

DiRT is pretty damn rad. It's much more arcade-y than previous games in the Colin McRae series, but it's all about really powerful vehicles driving really fast over dirt and tarmac and crashing into shit and looking damn fine while they do it. Here is a picture:

dirt2007032808280487500za5.jpg

The general concensus amongst the internet is that the 360 version looks slightly better (which is strange, since the engine was co-developed by SCE), but the PS3 version has a slighty steadier framerate. There are a shitload of different cars, trucks, buggies, crossovers, and even some rally vans and a rally vehicle that looks like a goddamned garbage truck.

Here is another picture:

cmr4td1.jpg

I got a used copy the day after release in perfect shape for $40. I rule.

The game that inspired Codemasters (CMR devs) to get into making Rally games was the original Sega Rally. The arcade version was awesome (especially if you found one with a full tilt seat), and the home version on the Sega Saturn was awesome as well. Here is a picture of it:

segarallyiy8.jpg

Extremely arcade in it's presentation. Featuring three cars, four tracks, and the best Sega buttrock soundtrack ever (Game Over Yeeeeeeaaaahhh!), Sega Rally introduced untold numbers of gamers into the joys of powersliding a $200,000 car through dirt and mud and rocks.

The sequel for the Dreamcast:

segarally22hb2.jpg

was a lot of fun as well, but suffered from a rollercoaster framerate that would shift between 30 and 60fps depending on which portion of the track you were on. In fact, you could say that playing it made your eyes want to WinCE. Get it? Windows CE? Bad port? God I am so fucking funny sometimes.

Speaking of Sega Rally, Sega Rally 2006 on the PS2:

segarally2006sc0.jpg

supposedly really blows, which is probably why Sega hasn't released it anywhere outside of Japan. But, if you get the special ed:

segarallytwopackhg8.jpg

you also get an arcade-perfect port of the original Sega Rally 1995:

srarcadeeh0.jpg

and that's pretty damned awesome. Problem is, Play-Asia wants $39.90 plus shipping for it, and I'm not sure if the method I use for booting imports will allow me to play it on an NA PS2. plus $40 is pretty spendy for Sega Rally 1995. I'll probably buy it anyway.

And oh yeah, Sega Rally Revo:

segarallyrevo2007051001rg8.jpg

is hitting later this month. Looks fucking awesome. The demo is available on Live so download it. It's fucking gorgeous, even on SD. Also, cars leave divits in the dirt and mud and it's awesome.

While we're here, let's look at a picture of Colin McRae Rally 2004 on the Xbox:

colinmcrea04bz5.jpg

Pretty cool, huh? I'm trying to track down a copy of 2005. Is it worth it? I'm also trying to find a copy of RalliSport Challenge II:

rallisport2040104014cz9.jpg

Also, I'd likie to mention the best Rally game ever, Rally Cross 2 for the PS1:

rallycross2screen014is6.jpg

because it has a fucking track editor!

rallycross2leveleditorwo4.jpg

Here's a picture I took in GT4's Photo Mode:
img0007rg5.jpg

The Rally portion of the GT games is a lot of fun, because I like driving around super-powered Imprezas and WRXs almost as much as I like throwing on a Turbo, some dirt tires, and lifting the suspension of an '82 Honda Accord (or some other suitably shitty vehicle) and fucking around like nobody's business.

So, let's talk about Rally games I've mentioned, ones I haven't, stuff like that. Basically, let's just

rallye1dz4.jpg

notreallysegarallyod9.jpg

rallycarflipssv9.gif

Rally it up, bitches.

Einhander on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I've always thought an F-Zero type Rally game would be amazing. Blazing speed and long distances, keeping the damage meter down? Sounds awesome, or am I losing it?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rally games are fun because you get to thrash your car in more ways then you can say spectacular.

Reason why I played DiRT's demo to death, didn't play the full game since it took me 3 races to realise I suck at that game.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You can play on a lower skill level, which minimises your damage. You'll make less money in career mode, but you won't be fucked the first time you hit a tree either.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    You can play on a lower skill level, which minimises your damage. You'll make less money in career mode, but you won't be fucked the first time you hit a tree either.

But that's the point of rally racing!

I'm missing the point right? I was planning to pick it up second hand, but with the tidal wave of games coming for the 360, I'm just going to stall on that purchase.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Good point. I've had a few bad crashes in DiRT so far, and it's pretty amusing to see how quick you can turn a brand new rally car into a hunk of dirty twisted metal.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I've got hopes for Sega Rally Revo though, I'm just hoping multiplayer wouldn't suck as much as DiRT's did (which I heard was extremely badly implemented from various reviews/friends).

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I'd kill a man for an XBLA version of Sega Rally 1995.

Seriously.

Mr. Gates, who would you like dead? Because I'll do it.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Rallisport Challenge 2 on the Xbox = greatest rally game ever made. That is all.
    It really is that good.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I keep looking for a copy, but I can never find any on the shelf. Everyone I ask about it tells me it's the best rally game they've ever played, so I'm really anxious to get ahold of a copy.

I'm probably going to have to buy one online.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No mention of Tommi Makkinen for the PS1 = Mega Fail.

If I have a working 360 by then Sega Rally Revo is an instant purchase for me.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

Spelling the guy's name wrong = Mega Fail

It's Mäkinen. One K.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    And oh yeah the Sega Rally demo has been on Live for a couple of days. It's awesome. A desert type track, and a muddy as hell tropical type track, and the choice between the WRX or the Lancer Evolution. It's kind of hard, I'm having a hard time coming in anything higher than second.

You and the other car's tires leave indentations in the dirt and mud which mess with you when you drive over them again. It looks really fucking good on my SDTV as well.

Also yeah I think Colin McRae died the same day the Sega Rally demo hit Live. Conspiracy?

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »

Spelling the guy's name wrong = Mega Fail

It's Mäkinen. One K.

Nerd.

How's the demo?

Edit: I think we should at least pay tribute to Colin McRae on the title, I never watched much rally, but if anything, he was the one in my opinion that brought rally racing to the masses, especially the gaming population.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    No mention of Richard Burns Rally? Also a top driver, died two years ago of cancer.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So yeah, I totally missed the fact that the Sega Rally Revo demo was out. Thank you thread!

Also, I agree with the awesomeness of Rally Cross 2 (and 1) on the PSOne. I used to play that on a friend's machine for hours and hours. It just, "felt right."

I really enjoy DiRT also. I've been playing the 360 version, and I am actually thinking of picking up the PS3 version soon for the smoother framerate. I tried the demo and it was oh so smooth.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I'ts weird. There was nothing for quite a while, and now we get two doses of awesome next gen rally in one month.

As for McRae, it really sucks. He had his five year old kid, a friend of his, and his friend's six year old kid in the chopper when he crashed.

On a side note, another cool thing about Rally Cross 2 was that it was the first game I remember to actually show your car get dirty during a race. Your car could get muddy or covered in snow during a race, and then if you drove through a river it was clean again.

I got Need for Speed: V Rally yesterday on the PS1. It's pretty terrible.

Also, Richard Burns Rally

lgfdbrfutujv3.jpg

looks pretty interesting.

Einhander on
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I loved the hell out of Rallisport Challenge 2 (and 1 for that matter) on the Xbox, and really hope it gets a 360 version. In the meantime, DiRT was an excellent replacement. It's gorgeous, a lot of fun, and has some of the best menus I've ever seen.

I highly recommend that people check out DiRT.

I downloaded the Sega Rally demo last night, but haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. I doubt I'll ever complain about too much arcade rally goodness.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thewho9thewho9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Colin McRae 2.0 for PS1 was my first rally title and I loved it; been hooked on rally games ever since. I had to take it for a spin again when I heard the terrible news. Really sucks.

thewho9 on
    PSN: thewho9
    Wii: 7594 9419 8007 3578
  • Options
    IompairIompair Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    Network Q RAC Rally on the PC years ago was amazing. It was the first game I played that had damage that effected the game, headlights that flickered and went out during night stages if you neglected your electrical systems for example, and a time limit to fix your car that was really short. Coolest thing was the 20 minute stage in it!

Richard Burns is great but extremely hard, I played it for a few weeks when it first came out and couldn't string together a good rally. Might install again and give it a go.

Iompair on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    PC rally games introduced me to the sport; since it's not a mainstream kind of thing here in the US it wasn't something I was exposed to growing up.

Network Q RAC Rally was the first one I ever played...very entertaining game.

It led me to purchase Mobil 1 Rally Championship, which is one of my favorites to this day. This one centered around the British rally championship, and they took the time to map out the actual stages at full length, and you raced in multiple weather conditions as well as during the evening & night hours in some stages.

Richard Burns Rally is a great title, I consider it to be the Grand Prix Legends of rally games...it's that tough.

I never played it, but I hear Rally Trophy was pretty outstanding too.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I tried the Sega Rally Revo demo on Live Marketplace last night and I really liked it.

So stripped down and simple, and fun. The tracks are groovy.

Dirt was great too, but I skipped it at the time, will prolly buy it from a bargain bin at some point.

But all my racing monies are going towards PGR4 for the moment.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So stripped down and simple, and fun. The tracks are groovy.
    I see what you did there.

Last night I tried out the Sega Rally Revo demo and it was a lot of fun. The surface deformation is neat and add's a lot to the gameplay. Now I know what Tycho ment when he said rumble is essential for this game. It's so nice to actually feel when I get back into the groove.

I played the Dirt demo a little while back but I sucked so bad it actually turned me off from playing it anymore. Not that i'm good at SRR either but I don't fly off the edge of a cliff when I take a turn too fast, thus putting me pretty far back and essentially out of the race causing me to restart and increasing my frustration. Not that having to restart the track many a time over doesn't go hand and hand with racing games but it definatly increases the fun factor when restarting is minimized from not flying off the track every other turn.

Eventually I will buy Sega Rally Revo. Just not very soon since theres a ton of other games i'm looking forward to in the very near future. Besides Dirt and SSR I have haven't played a rally game since Top Gear Rally on the N64 (which owned).

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    im completely addicted to the revo demo.

its perfect, absolutely perfect.

on a sad note, r.i.p. colin mcrae.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Ashendark wrote: »
    Besides Dirt and SSR I have haven't played a rally game since Top Gear Rally on the N64 (which owned).

Word.

First and only Rally game I ever learned to love.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Top Gear Rally rules.

That is all.

Edit: Top of the page for great justice.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I sucked at the Revo Demo until I raced like three or four times. Now I can come in first every time with relative ease. DiRT was the same, only it took me a couple of days before I got good at it. I guess it just takes me a while to start to understand the way the cars move. I've been playing a lot of Ridge Racer 6 lately, so that helped put me in the proper mindset.

Hopefully Sega Rally sells really well so Sega sees that releasing updated versions of their classic games with next gen polish will probably make them more money than cranking out terrible Sonic spinoff games every year.

I wish Revo would ship with Sega Rally 1995 like Sega Rally 2006 did. I'm still hoping it hits Live someday. It would be awesome to be able to play it with multiplayer.

Einhander on