As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

British science series "Look Around You"

TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I just came across this wonderful series of videos on Youtube. I'm sure many of you have already seen them but if not, they are a great laugh and a really skillful period piece. They're made in the style of those old educational film reels that used to be shown in class when the teacher felt like taking a day off. Each of them focus on a particular subject that they then expound in absurd detail, with weird experiments and demonstrations.
Oh yeah, and they were made in 2002 although everything about them seems to indicate that they are from the early 80s. Look and you'll recognize a couple actors from Shaun of the Dead.

Here are the links to the videos by subject:
Maths: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiMWJ1xBo8w

Water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqYBncyKpM

Germs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLeNU3RIm4o

Ghosts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y070jbJuVs

Sulphur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0dyvoVV5Tk

Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYfBTXiurDs

Iron: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVQOGbPevR0

The Brain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tQVnQ-kuWk

Each of these videos has some absolute gems, I recommend watching a couple of them and then saving the rest for a rainy day when you need to be cheered up.

There was also a second series that you'll see if you look in the related videos tab, but they tried to completely change the focus of the show and I don't think it worked very well. There are still some funny bits though.

TurnpikeLad on

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    <3 Maths.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • CasketCasket __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    <3 The Brain

Is there really a ruleset for a checkers vs chess game? Epic.

Casket on
    casketiisigih1.png
  • dangerdoomdangerdangerdoomdanger Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monty Python quality humor you say?

dangerdoomdanger on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    As a reward, the brain is fed....brain flakes.

Al_wat on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure how I feel about this style of humor anymore.

Uncyclopedia, that Dave Eggers book about giant squids, and these videos—is it funny because it's stupid? Or because it's mocking a particular form of expression? Or because it's factually incorrect in inspired and interesting ways?

Qingu on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That was amazing. I only read the thread title and clicked on the first link, so I thought it was completely serious for the first few seconds.

Edit:
    Qingu wrote: »

Uncyclopedia, that Dave Eggers book about giant squids, and these videos—is it funny because it's stupid? Or because it's mocking a particular form of expression? Or because it's factually incorrect in inspired and interesting ways?

To simplify it to the most basic of levels, I'd say it's funny because it juxtaposes two total opposites (complete lies, and forms of media that usually convey dry and boring facts).

Taximes on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That snowman looks like it's screaming. This is fantastic.

Evil Multifarious on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm sure there was a joke about the tube connected to the Nitrogen gas and the water, but I didn't follow. Other than that, hilarious.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God I love these. Makes me think of Mark Erickson's Infinite Solutions.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Have you never had to sit through one of these interminable video lessons?

Fencingsax on
  • TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

To be fair, this is a much more subtle crack at it than something like Uncyclopaedia. There's hardly any of the annoying wink-nudge; it's presented very seriously in all aspects. It's less like the book on giant squids than it is like John Hodgman's almanac.
    I'm sure there was a joke about the tube connected to the Nitrogen gas and the water, but I didn't follow. Other than that, hilarious.

I think the joke was that the narrator says nonchalantly "The gas mafipulates out of the tube" and you don't question it, but then by actually putting it up on the screen it draws your attention to the fact that mafipulation is in fact a very silly word.

But I don't get the weird box that they put the tube into afterward.

TurnpikeLad on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Taximes wrote: »
    To simplify it to the most basic of levels, I'd say it's funny because it juxtaposes two total opposites (complete lies, and forms of media that usually convey dry and boring facts).

This is a very good explanation.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And this is the other reason, when combined with Taximes' reason, why it's funny :D

These episodes mimic the style of the old educational BBC programmes perfectly! Including the countdown at the very beginning.

I wouldn't compare it to Monty Python, though. It's nothing alike and Monty Python certainly isn't the gold standard of comedy.

Janson on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's funny because it's excellent parody, it fucks with your expectations and it's utterly, utterly dry. One of my favourite parts are the opening "Look around you! Just... Look around you" moments, which always end on something completely impossible to predict as if it were an obvious conclusion. The disconnect is wonderful!

desperaterobots on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The next series wasnt quite as good, it changed style as well to being a Tommorows World parody. But it had its moments.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ryAAWJOujoI

Jeedan on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Man, I miss Tomorrow's World.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • BeedleBeedle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The DVD has a special double-length module (that is to say, the original pilot epidode) on Calcium. It's slower and not as polished as the proper episodes, but funny anyway, and important if you want to know how to avoid the Helvetica Scenario.

Beedle on
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    Beedle wrote: »
    The DVD has a special double-length module (that is to say, the original pilot epidode) on Calcium. It's slower and not as polished as the proper episodes, but funny anyway, and important if you want to know how to avoid the Helvetica Scenario.

Never give a Gypsy calcium.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    Taximes wrote: »

This is a very good explanation.
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And this is the other reason, when combined with Taximes' reason, why it's funny :D

These episodes mimic the style of the old educational BBC programmes perfectly! Including the countdown at the very beginning.

I wouldn't compare it to Monty Python, though. It's nothing alike and Monty Python certainly isn't the gold standard of comedy.

Yeah, what Janson said.
    I would've loved to try and get one of these shown in a science lesson back in school, and seen how long before one of the teachers caught on. The style is immaculate.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • IconoclysmIconoclysm Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Loved Peter Serafinowicz since Spaced. He's just superb in everything he's in.

One of my claims to fame is that I repaired his mums Mac when it had an internet problem. Lovely lady.
    My other claim to fame is that I shook Johnny Ball's hand...
    *cough*

Iconoclysm on
    t=54717
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    These remind me of those ridiculous 1970s videos so much, the ones even physics teachers got bored with and fast-forwarded through the "now, let's repeat that in real-time seventeen times" bits. Loved watching these on tv.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The first series of Look Around You was utterly amazing, shame the second didn't live up to the same standard (it wasn't bad by any means though). I should dig out my DVD and give it another watching.

A couple of years ago in a particle physics lecturer the lecturer was talking about spin symmetry and other exciting nonsense and said,
    "Spin Partners. Spartners."
    At which point the half of the hall who had seen Look Around You fell into laughing fits while the rest of the room looked around bewildered."

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2007
    oh my god, those are perfect :D. I watched so many of those damn shows as a kid...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The first series of Look Around You was utterly amazing, shame the second didn't live up to the same standard (it wasn't bad by any means though). I should dig out my DVD and give it another watching.

A couple of years ago in a particle physics lecturer the lecturer was talking about spin symmetry and other exciting nonsense and said,
    "Spin Partners. Spartners."
    At which point the half of the hall who had seen Look Around You fell into laughing fits while the rest of the room looked around bewildered."

Hahahaha! Thanks Ants. Thants. Was this mostly a Season 2 running joke? And speaking of Season 2, it saddens me that it's held in such low regard by some people. I was initially put off by the format change, but some of the moments in it are genuinely hilarious, moreso than the first. I especially love the pre-show 'tonight on bbc 2' program previews; the narration is perfect, especially the wet macaroni mouth noises. Ah, gold. And the inventor of the female computer with the silent surname. Hah!

desperaterobots on
    edited October 2007
    Anyone who likes this should also look out for Brasseye, particularly the Brasseye Paedophile special.

Janson on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Anyone who likes this should also look out for Brasseye, particularly the Brasseye Paedophile special.

BobCesca on
    edited October 2007

I have the series on dvd, it is one of the best things i own, but i don't show it much. "Hey, watch this spoof documentary on paedophilia, it's really funny!"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'll have to catch up on this, to my shame I missed out when they first crept along the BBC. I have fond memories of the "Iron" programme and the sound-absorbing wonders of Bumcivillian :lol:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

I have the series on dvd, it is one of the best things i own, but i don't show it much. "Hey, watch this spoof documentary on paedophilia, it's really funny!"

I know exactly what you mean!

I normally just seat people down and don't tell them what they're about to see.

Janson on
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh7UgrHMjbQ
    "This is the one thing we didn't want to happen"

SUPERSUGA on
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there any way to see these NOT on YouTube?
    I desperately want to watch, but YouTube is blocked on campus.

hesthefastest on
    edited October 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

I know exactly what you mean!

I normally just seat people down and don't tell them what they're about to see.

i felt bad enough showing it to my housemates, reassuring them that "no, seriously, it's funny.."

darleysam on
    forumsig.png