As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[miniphalla] Star Trek: Vendetta FERENGI VICTORY

RendRend Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Critical Failures
Foreword

Welcome to the Star Trek Vendetta miniphalla! This miniphalla is based on the series Star Trek, and has no hidden mechanics. There are 25 spots.

Your host these evenings will be Rend. Please send all actions and such to me, Rend. Vote close will be at 8:00 PST (11:00 EST). All votes and actions will cease to be valid at 8:01.

Enjoy!

Rules

All standard phalla rules apply, including considering the anonymous contact of another player, interference of dead people, editing posts with votes in them, sharing role PMs, et cetera. You all know these, and if not, you know where to find them.

Introduction

Captain's Log, Stardate 2007865.29:
We've just recieved a transmission from Starfleet ordering us to make haste to the Tau Cygna system in the de Laure belt. I was not told more about the situation, except that I would be contacted in approximately six hours, and that I should prepare an away team of the most skilled members of my crew. We have set course, though it plagues me to think what might have gained Starfleet's interest, and is as well so secretive.

--Six hours later...--

"Greetings, Captain. I trust you are well."

"Ah, Admiral. Yes, well enough indeed, sans a nagging concern for the away team I have assembled."

"You need not worry about your away team, Captain. Simply construct it of your finest and most able officers. We have on our hands a situation of great importance, which requires also great secrecy and tact. You know, of course, that the Tau Cygna system was annexed by the Sheliak some time ago, yes?"

"Of course, Admiral. And, if I remember correctly, there were some strained diplomatic encounters to go along with the ordeal a bit later, concerning a colony on Tau Cygna V."

"Yes, your memory is as sharp as ever."

"My question is, how can we enter Sheliak space uninvited? They will surely react with no less than open hostility."

"It would be best if you let me explain the situation, Captain. There is a rather small H-Class planet in the Tau Cygna system, which has somehow only until recently escaped our sensors. We originally believed it to be an asteroid, but it seems it is actually a planet."

"Admiral, I thought that we were in the habit of taking away supposed 'dwarf planets' titles, not giving them out."

"I hope you are joking, Captain. Please, if I may continue. Starfleet Intelligence has gathered reports of other major powers gathering at that location, but we have been unable to find out why, even through our best efforts. This is where you and your away team come in, Captain.

You are to assemble your men and send them via shuttle to the planet's surface. There they will doubtless meet toil and snare, but they must find out exactly what is on that planet, through any means necessary.

This is completely secret, you understand. If you lose contact with the team or with any of its members, do not attempt to rescue them. If, after a period of one and a half weeks they do not contact you, leave the Tau Cygna system and go about your business."

"Admiral, that's unthinkable. I cannot leave my crew to die on that planet, no matter what the cost."

"You have your orders, captain. I suggest you follow them."

Captain's Log, Stardate 2007865.29:
The Admiral has ordered me to send an away team down. I have composed it of the ships Science Officer, Security Officer, one of my Lieutenants, our Communications Officer, and a member of Starfleet Intelligence, and they are currently making ready for their task. I do not know what I am to do, though, if we do lose contact with them. I could never, in good conscience, leave them to die on that planet, but Starfleet's orders are ironclad.

I suppose I should simply hope it is a decision I will never have to make.

Factions
There are five factions in this phalla.

The United Federation of Planets
The Klingon Empire
The Ferengi Alliance
The Romulan Star Empire
The Cardassian Union

Each one will be composed of five players and will have identical player compositions and unique but similar win conditions.

Vendetta and Win Conditions
Each faction's win condition is simply this: Eliminate your two enemies.

The Federation must eliminate the Romulans and the Cardassians.
The Klingons must eliminate the Ferengi and the Cardassians.
The Ferengi must eliminate the Klingons and the Romulans.
The Romulans must eliminate the Federation and the Ferengi.
The Cardassians must eliminate the Federation and the Klingons.

Each faction has two enemies, and two allies. Each faction's allies are at war with each other, and with one of their enemies. If any two factions are annhilated which match any living faction's win conditions, the game ends and that faction is declared the victor.

Upon death, role and faction will be revealed.

Each day you will !Vote a player to be attacked by the Sheliak and killed. In the event of a red vote tie, the first person to attain the tying total will be killed.

Each day you will !Vote a player to be in the right place at the right time. A player effected by the lime vote will survive the night from both the vote and player attacks, however, the person effected by the lime vote will be randomly selected between all players voted for. Each player will have a chance at recieving the protection equal to the ratio of green votes they recieved compared to the total number of green votes made. IE, if you get 5 of 10 green votes, you have a 50% chance of netting the protection.

Only one person will be protected per night. This person will be made evident.

Roles
Each away team will be composed of the following 5 roles:

Science Officer: This officer is capable of discerning any one person's identity.
Lieutenant: This officer, the leader of the away team, can kill one person per night.
Security Officer: This officer is capable of guarding one person per night from any Lieutenants who attack.
Comms Officer: This officer is capable of warping and obfuscating the Science Officer's readings.
Spy: This officer will always appear friendly when scanned by the Science Officer.

There are additional details about each role which will be addressed in the PMs. If you have any questions, you may ask for CLARIFICATION in orange.

Order of Operations:

Vote Kill > Science Officer/Comms Officer > Lieutenant/Security Officer

Thus, if you die by vote, your ability does not activate that turn.

Rend on

• RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Signup List:

More update: The signups will probably end tomorrow, meaning the game will start and first votes will be thursday.

1. Romantic Undead
    2. Zellpher
    3. Asukui -Cardassian Security Officer
    4. Infidel
    5. DevoutlyApathetic -Federation Lieutenant-
    6. Gumpy -Federation Science Officer-
    7. Borg- er, CJ Iwakura
    8. Qorzm -Cardassian Lieutenant
    9. Delroland -Klingon Communications Officer
    10. Visiblehowl -Klingon Science Officer-
    11. Raakam
    12. Oatway -Cardassian Communications Officer
    13. Seriously
    14. Zanmatto -Klingon Security Officer-
    15. El Skid -Federation Spy-
    16. Crono
    17. Zot
    18. PrecisionK -Federation Communications Officer
    19. Locus -Ferengi Communications Officer
    20. Durax -Romulan Science Officer-
    21. Saburbia
    22. Wildcat
    23. Shorn Scrotum Man -Klingon Lieutenant
    24. Grundlterror -Cardassian Spy
    25. Cheez -Romulan Spy-

Reserves:
    1. Ardor
    2. Mr. Embarkation
    3. Giltanis

Role PMs:
    Role PMs:
    You are the Science Officer!

You are a member of the away team for your vast and useful knowledge of scientific equipment, most notably, scanners. Along with your routine checks for lifeforms and bodies of water and rifts in the space-time continuum, once per day you may also discern the identity of any one away team member.

Unfortunately, there is a problem. It seems that the other away teams were smart, and brought along comms officers of their own, just like you did, and it seems some individuals have brought equipment designed to warp the effects of your scanning equipment. If only these things were designed for such situations...

Ability: Scanner Sweep
    -Your ability will grant you knowledge of your target's Faction and Ability.
    -If your target is under the Passive Jamming effect of a Comms Officer, you will only discern their Faction.
    -If your target is under the Active Jamming effect of a Comms Officer, you will not discern anything about them.
    -If your target is a Spy, they will appear to be one of the two factions friendly to you.
    You are the Lieutenant!

You are the leader of the away team for your leadership and, well, excellence in battle and crisis situations. You have learned how to manage difficult situations, and have been equipped with and authorized the use of a Phaser. Remember, though: With great power comes great responsibility.

Ability: Phaser
    -Your ability will Kill your target.
    -If your target is under the Guardian effect of a Security Officer, you will fail and you will not discern anything about them.
    -If your target is a Security Officer under the Guardian effect of another Security Officer, you will fail and learn the full identities of both Security Officers.
    You are the Security Officer!

You are a member of the away team to protect the other members of the away team. You have crawled your way through the ranks and have finally made it here, earning the trust and loyalty of your comrades along the way. It is your sworn duty to protect them, a task you do not take lightly. In order to perform this duty, you have been equipped with and authorized the use of Medical Equipment and Anti-Phaser technology.

Ability: Guardian
    -Your ability will protect your target from the Phaser ability of the Lieutenant, without revealing your identity or your target's identity.
    -Your ability protects against all uses of the Phaser ability that round. If more than one Lieutenant use this ability against your target, your target will still survive the ability.
    -You may not target yourself with Guardian.
    -You may target another Security officer with Guardian, but if you successfully guard against a Lieutenant's Phaser ability that round, both your identity and your target's identity will be revealed to the Lieutenant using the ability.
    -Two Security officers cannot use Guardian on each other. If this occurs, the first one to send in their order will apply, and the second will fizzle.
    You are the Comms Officer!

You are a member of the away team for a very special reason... the team's defense. You know how to use all sorts of communications equipment, most notably Portable Communications and Electronics Jammers. It is your duty on this mission to make sure not only that no outside sources can glean your location in order to launch an attack, but to aid your team in finding any possible threats and communicate back when necessary.

Multiple Abilities: Passive Jamming is a passive ability. Every night you may attempt Passive Jamming and one active ability.

Ability: Passive Jamming
    -This ability is active as long as you are alive. You do not have to use it.
    -When active, any member of your team targeted by the Scanner Sweep ability of a Science Officer will be partially jammed, and only their Faction will be made known to the Science Officer.

Ability: Active Jamming
    -This ability will hide the entire identity of your target from the Scanner Sweep ability of a Science Officer.

Ability: Equipment Jamming
    -This ability will jam the use of a Comms Officer's Passive Jamming ability.
    -In order to use this ability, you must target the Comms Officer you wish to effect.

Ability: Global Transmission
    -This ability will send an anonymous message to all living Comms Officers. They will not be able to discern your identity, nor will you be able to discern any of theirs.

Ability: Private Transmission
    -This ability will send an anonymous message to your target, if he is a living Comms Officer. He will be unable to discern your identity from this message, unless he targets himself with the Trace Transmission ability.

Ability: Trace Transmission
    -This ability can only target yourself. If you are the target of the Private Transmission ability of a Comms Officer, you will learn that Comms Officer's Faction. This effect cannot be jammed, blocked, or disabled in any way.
    You are the Spy!

You are a member of the away team for your skills at exploration and espionage. Specifically, since there are other powers reported to be at work, it would be mighty helpful if your enemies thought you were one of them. In order to accomplish this, you've been equipped with an Individual Electronics Jammer. Just remember that the brightest lights cast the darkest shadows.

Ability: Individual Jamming
    -If you are the target of the Scanner Sweep ability of a Science Officer, you will return the Faction signal of one of the two friendly factions to that Science Officer.
    -The precise results of the Scanner Sweep are determined by a list of priorities set by you. The closest friendly Faction to the top of the list will take effect. You must prioritize your faction list and send it in on the first day or else this ability will be inactive. You may change your list at any time.

For example, if your list is:
    Federation
    Klingon
    Ferengi
    Romulan
    Cardassian

A ___ would discern that you are ____
    Federation: Klingon
    Klingon: Federation
    Ferengi: Federation
    Romulan: Klingon
    Cardassian: Ferengi

NARRATIONS:

Day 0

Rend on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Star Trek???

I kid, I kid.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Indeed, sir. Indeed.

Rend on
  • ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !signup!

Zellpher on
  • AsukuiAsukui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !MEmemememee =D
    hehe

Asukui on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !signup

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • AsukuiAsukui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm too excited for my own good =D

Asukui on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The structure of this game, it is very interesting. If two factions really trust each other, then a simultaneous win is possible. Alas, I cannot join at this time. I'll keep an eye on this one...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !signup, finally a game where it's impossible for me to be a bad guy.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !I sign up

Gumpy on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What, no Borg? Ah well.
    !sign up

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    See, I would like to join, but I really do have to complete multiple research papers in a short amount of time, so this will only distract me.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !I sign up!

Qorzm on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !signup, finally a game where it's impossible for me to be a bad guy.

It turns out you're the Borg Serial Killer.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Devoutly apathetic is: Assimilated Goltana Knight

Rend on
  • ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Seriously?

Obbi on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !CHARGIN FAZORZ

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck yeah, mutha fucka.

(I've never actually seen Star Trek).

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm here, I'm here! (thanks Rend)

What? No Red Shirt role?

!signup

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I sign up!

Oats on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hell I will do this.

Probably Drez's too.

!sign up

Seriously on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LOOK MA I CAN -SIGN UP TO STUFF NOW

zanmatto on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !sign up

El Skid on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    !signing up

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !sign up

precisionk on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !sign up

Locus on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !sign up

durax on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I !sign up

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i'll !sign up for this one too.

Unless someone who is dead in the main would like a spot.

M.D. on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This does look pretty interesting, but could someone as inexperienced as I am play?

Wildcat on
    edited November 2007
    Wildcat wrote: »
    This does look pretty interesting, but could someone as inexperienced as I am play?

You gotta start somewhere.

M.D. on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good point!

!signup

Wildcat on
    edited November 2007
    zanmatto wrote: »
    LOOK MA I CAN -SIGN UP TO STUFF NOW

You realize that you're supposed to bold votes and signups and stuff, right?

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Fuck yeah, mutha fucka.

How can this possibly be true? In what plane of existance is it possible to have never seen a single episode of Star Trek?

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    Fuck yeah, mutha fucka.

How can this possibly be true? In what plane of existance is it possible to have never seen a single episode of Star Trek?

I may have caught an episode. Like, once. On the Sci-Fi channel or something.

But I haven't watched enough of it to know anything about the plot or setting except for what I've picked up from other people talking about it.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    !sign up

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never seen an episode. My brother was a pretty huge Trekkie though...

Also, D:, Firefox recognizes Trekkie as a word.

Oats on
    edited November 2007
    Never really watched Star Trek either.

M.D. on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can understand not being into it or really know what the hell is going on.

But literally never having watched a single episode of any Star Trek? That's impressive.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png