As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] Now with 60% more jigs

GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess

WotG.jpg

There was once a war that shook the very foundations of Vana'diel.
It was a dark and dreadful age.
The lives of many were lost.
The futures of many were destroyed. The joys of many were extinguished.

However, there are those from that age who remember...

They remember the hope that burned in the darkness.
The companions that banded together.
The heroes that strove onwards.
The rivals that joined forces.

And now history is reborn, as we return to that age of strife...

In this thread, we discuss Final Fantasy online and its latest expansion, Wings of the Goddess. Post screenshots, discuss jobs, ask questions, or gripe about that noob BLU that doesn't know Stinking Gas or Refueling.

Smashism's super keen newby FAQ, read it
yes, you
This F.A.Q. is made for players ready to begin their adventure in Vana'Diel and for those just starting out. I am a new player myself and haven't been playing very long. FFXI can be a very overwhelming game at first, but once you get the swing of things you see it less as a complex confusing world and more as a world full of depth and mystery.

The first half provides you with basics of getting started and the beginning of your adventure.
The second half provides links for tools and enhancements for the PC version(Graphics and Controls).

First and foremost, heres a MOVIE of what you are in store for.
New Players, before you come to a server and make a character, run it by us here. Not cause you need permission or anything, but we can hook you up with an in game pass that gives you and the pass giver an in game item. It brings their max level down to your max level, making it much easier for us to party with you and show you the ropes!
  • Can I solo?
    The simple answer is "Yes and no," but it is a bit more complicated than that.

As a brand new character, fresh out of the shrink-wrap, you will be soloing until you get a job to level 10 at the minimum; sometimes upwards of level 15. From that point on, it is in your best interests to find parties, or at least one or two other people to group with, for two reasons:

The monsters get a lot tougher. The power curve goes from a gentle wading pool to an olympic swimming pool to a raging river rapids.

All higher end reward content (the stuff that gets you the cool swag) needs parties in sets of three, (usually) six, and sometimes 18. How to behave in a party is a skill set that you need to cultivate: Without it you miss the whole game.

Once you have some job levels under your belt, and some other resources, you may pursue a job combination that allows you to solo at higher levels. Be advised though, that these jobs are often lonely things, and expensive to boot: Making aquantinces and sharing risks is and always has been the fastest way to advance in the game, in the long run.
    (Courtesy of our (M) Bri)

• Why is everyone so nice all the time? Whats the community like?
    Remember you play all your different Jobs (Classes) on one character. So your name holds a lot of weight in the game. You spend a lot of time EXP partying in pick up groups, with people on your server.
    Even in my few noob levels, I recognize a lot of other players outside my Linkshell (LS for short. It's a guild essentially). Its nice rolling through town, and recognizing players, having acquaintances. There is a real sense of community that is throughout the server, not just within Guilds.
    Also, high level players probably won't ever scam you, so you can have them craft your mats in relative safety.

• Is there a story?
    Story is one of the strongest points in FFXI. Stories unfold in cutscenes, not just in boring dialog:zzz: boxes. Each nation has its own story line, and so does each expansion. Vana'diel is a rich world with an even richer history, explore it with friends and experience it in the classic Final Fantasy cutscene fashion!

• I just bought this on PC/360/PS2/PS3(PS2) where should I start? Holy crap, I am confused with controls, interface, EVERYTHING!
    Ok, relax. The controls and interface can be disorienting at first. Instead of me typing a massive writeup on controls and interface, just go here. Takes you to FFXI new player video guide on the official website. This is awesome for visual learners, and applies to all formats. Be sure you navigate every video on the left toolbar before moving on the next chapter at the top.

Note to PC users: A controller is recommended but not required, many other players play without it infact. I find the game slightly awkward without a controller. You may use a wired 360 or knock off wired 360 controller, along with other USB controllers. I've provided the necessary programs to make the controller work in a link lower down. (Cause Microsoft drivers suck for the controllers)
    Please also note: The Mouse controls are absolute pure garbage. Either keyboard or controller, using your mouse for character and camera control is something you will want to avoid.

• Ok, I got the basics of controls, interface, and adventuring. What else could I learn?
    Limit Break Radio is a podcast about FFXI. The hosts are....eh, but they did an awesome episode for Starting Players. Tips on Gil Making, Etiquette, and more advanced information than the videos from PlayOnline. Tons of good info here, in a somewhat jumbled format however.
    Limit Break Radio's Gigantious Beginners Guide to Vana'diel

• I need to look up X item, or X quest, X location, or X anything for that matter.(Prepare for massive bookmarking)
    This WIKI is beyond useful. Anything about items, quests, recipes, and basic info on things like; stats, chocobo raising, equipment guides, and seriously anything else you can think of asking.
    If you need to sell something on the Auction House, might I point you to FFXIAH. It displays the current prices for items on sale at your server's AH. Maximize your profit, ok?

• How do I get from X to Y?
    Use the wiki to read up on forms of transportation. You will want to be able to access any map at anytime though I am sure. Atlas will help you get a better bearings on your sense of direction in Vana'Diel.

• I am playing on the PC. Can I use something cheaper than the 360 controller?
  • ZOMG My triggers WONT WORK!
    Once again, relax. My headache and heartache is now your benefit! First, your wireless 360 controller hooked up to a Wireless 360 Reciever, will NOT work. Well the triggers won't at least. Thats your macro buttons, I know, bullshit! Even with a wired 360 controller the triggers won't work. Why not? Your PC is recognize the triggers as analog input not a digital button. FFXI only recognizes Digital Buttons. Fortunately, I have some fan drivers for you. These will also allow your PC to recognize THIRD PARTY controllers, like Mad Catz, Pelican, and more. I'm using a cheap ass pelican 360 controller used from gamestop. Costed me a small handful of cash, and you don't need super precision thumbsticks for this game anyways.
    WHEN INSTALLING PLEASE READ DIRECTIONS VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!!! VISTA NEEDS EXTRA PRECAUTIONS. If you have trouble PM me for vista help. (fucking vista:P)
    You can use the directions on the site provided or use this site.
    Once you got it installed, and are restarted (you restarted right?), open up the program via the start menu.
    Under "Buttons" there should be LT and RT, set them up as buttons, not analog sticks.

Ok, now go play the game for a few levels and put these tools to work. Ask a lot of questions, don't be afraid to ask for help. Begging is HIGHLY discouraged however. Like I said earlier, your name carries a lot of weight, don't be that beggar guy.

Tools and Utilities
  • All these damn websites, is there an easier way to keep track of them?
    Do you have firefox? If not, you have lost your internet privileges. Ok, now that you have firefox, go here. This adds a little toolbar to firefox like yahoo toolbar, but actually useful for something. Full of FFXI links, databases, and tools. Including a Clock, ETA for Airships, Recipes, Quests, Cartography, Server Status, and an assload more.

• OMG, I freaking HATE editing macros within the game interface!!!!111one:x
    Sheesh, so do I. It really isn't that bad, but for massive macro overhauls I would recommend Yekyaa's Macro Editor. This is a Macro Editor that operates as a seperate program from FFXI. Very simple, very straightforward.
    (Vista users open via Right Click, Run as Admin) When you open the program, it will ask to browse for a folder. The program wants you to locate your Macro folder, it should be opened to the default directory. If not go: Comp > C: > Prog Files > PlayOnline > SquareEnix > Final Fantasy XI > User > [A FOLDER FOR EACH CHARACTER].

• I wish I had a minimap....
    Your wish is my COMMAND!!! This is ApRadar, a little program that functions outside, FFXI. It can only work when FFXI is running, and it be placed on top of the game. Its a resizable minimap that display; NPC's, PC's, and Mobs. It includes a filter, zoom, stay on top, and a bunch of other functionalities. Download the program from the COMMAND link provided earlier. There are a few choices, grab "Download Apradar v2 With Maps 58Mb". Its big but the maps are custom made, and contain the locations of NM's and other objectives. Once downloaded, and unzipped. Open the folder, and open up the program while FFXI is launched and running. Alt tab to the program, and enjoy! Right Click for options.

• The first rule of Windower is that you do not talk about Windower. The second rule of Windower...
    Welcome to FFXI PC's dirty little secret. Warning, this program is a touchy subject in game, also the basis of many rumors and fallacies. So what is it? Well first and foremost, it allows you to Alt-Tab outside of FFXI, which is infinitely useful. After installing the program you may notice some new numbers on your screen. Windower takes information that FFXI provides and simply displays them in a more convinient way. So now your parties HP has a percentage next to it, or your target has a range on it now. Simple yet very useful things.

• I heard that Windower is the cause for massive bans, I don't want to risk losing my account!
    So I did some digging on the subject as a new player. Observe the first and second rules of Windower when in game. It's just too taboo to talk about in game. Some players told me I can make all this gold with windower, or I can hack the game and do uber damage and all this wacky shit. So I went to the source, the developers of the program. Hit up the IRC in the Windower.Wiki the developers are usually in there, chatting away about computers, programing, and FFXI. If you aren't a dumbass they will answer any questions you have. Pretty much, nobody has been banned permanently for using windower, only a few have been suspended short term for it. Theres no way that SE can detect you using it unless you run around /shouting in town "OMG I USE WINDOWER GUYZZ!!!!"

• So how do I get this thing working?
  • How do I get rid of these horrendous jaggies? AA?
    Download the program first. Unzip it to a more permanent location. Now you have a folder containing more folders and a program that says "launcher_gui". Open it up. This where you will be launching FFXI from for now on. Once open, click the advanced box. Set the Overlay Resolution to whatever resolution you want FFXI running at (desktop resolution). Below in the registry box is where you can change the texture resolution. Under X and Y for Background, is the resolution that your textures will display at. 1024 is the defualt highest for the default launcher. If you got the power however, crank it up. If the background resolution is higher than your Overlay Resolution than the textures will upscales automatically. Creating a Anti-Aliasing effect! Makes the game go from blegh to OOOOO LA LA!

• What else can Windower do?
    How the heck do I get rid of this FOG!?!

Oh so much, my young padawan learner, oh so much. You can navigate the plugins bar on the right side of the Windower.Wiki for all types of plugins. The most important IMO is the DrawDistance plugin. This kills all the fog and makes your render distance much further out. Download the plugin, place the Drawdistance.dll file in [Windower Folder] > plugins. Should be a bunch of other .dll files in there too. Now go to [Windower Folder] > Scripts > Init (open with notepad).
    Part way down the list you see a bunch of things that say:
    load Priority
    load TParty
    load Distance
    load ConsoleBG
    load Recast

...and so on. Go ahead and add "load DrawDistance" to the list. So it looks like
    load Timestamp
    load chatmon
    load AutoExec
    load DrawDistance

...and so on. Or something similar.

Holy Lordy. You just installed your first plugin, you are a genius. What you just did was tell windower to go ahead and launch that drawdistance.dll you just installed, thats what load xxxx means.

So now you go to fire up windower, and play FFXI with your new Drawdistance plugin, right? WRONG IDIOT.
    Woah, don't take it personal. Once the game is loaded up, and you are running around, you have to type some commands to get it to work. Press insert, the console for Windower should open up. Ok now type: .drawdistance set XX
    XX= any number 1-20. Don't ask me what the defualt number is, I dont remember. But 20 is pretty graphics intensive. if you go 20 you have to choose between complex shadows or draw distance. This is from somebody with a dual core, 8800GTX and too much ram. So mileage will vary. Read the Drawdistance plugin link for more command information.

So after the textures are cranked, and your drawdistance is nice and far, you think well.....do I have to type that bullshit in EVERYTIME I launch the game? The answer is yes, but theres a way to bypass that.

Time to download your 2nd most useful plugin. Go back to the plugins section of the Windower Website. Click on AutoExec. Put it in the same folder as the other xxxx.dll's, like DrawDistance.dll

No need to add it to the init, so go ahead and launch FFXI through windower again. Once you are loaded and on your character, log off again. I am not messing with you, I promise. What this did was create a new folder under [Windower Folder] > Plugins > Auto Exec. Open this folder and open up the AutoExec.XML file with notepad, just like the init file from before. Simple so far right?;-)

Delete everything you see. Copy and paste the following:
    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <autoexec>
    <register silent="true" event="login">drawdistance set XX</register>
    </autoexec>

For XX put the .drawdistance set XX value you found that suited your computer the best from earlier.
    Launch FFXI through windower, like you should be doing from now on. Login. Bam, drawdistance now auto loads and sets itself. Wasn't that worth all the trouble?8-)

• Is there a way I can sharpen the text and some of the icons up?
    SURE there is. Follow the directions, they are super straightforward. What this does is replace the dat files, with more sharper textures, for text and icons. Good stuff, backup your crap in case you hate it.

• Can I get anymore functionality out of my controller on the PC?
    Well it just so happens I know a way you can! I found a nifty little program called Xpadder. This program allows you to bind buttons to keyboard functions. I had trouble getting the analogue sticks to work with this, but whatever.
    You can also have your controller shift states. So i have it setup like normal controls. Except when you press down on the Left Thumbstick, the entire state of the controller shifts and the functions change. So now that my left thumbstick is held, I can zoom in and out with my triggers, instead of opening my macro menus. This essentially lets you have as many buttons as you want on your controller. I have buttons set up to quick open my Job Abilities and Weapon Skills. Kick ass program if you sit down and tinker with it.

Grinnin' B, what's so great about this new expansion anyways?

Two new jobs, bringing the total number of jobs to 20!
Dancer.jpg

Dancer

Yes, I picked the most flamboyant picture I could find. Dance (abbr. DNC) is "a frontline healing type job." Dances are cast with TP rather than MP. SE created DNC with the hopes of enhancing small parties.

Scholar.jpg

Scholar

Fulfilling the Japanese desire to have a school girl's uniform complete with short skirt in game, Scholar (abbr. SCH) is a "backline mage job" that specializes in either casting black or white schools of magic, depending on what magical tomes, called "grimoires," are deployed.

Wings of the Goddess will also allow adventurers to travel back in time 20 years to the Crystal War era; a war between the Shadow Lord's beastmen and the united forces of Altana. Players will be able to participate in battles with small groups at different levels, as well as being able to decide how long you're in the battle.

Alright, you've convinced me. How do I start?

If you want to test the game out, there's no free download, but! There is a starter pack disc that'll cost you less than 5 bucks to buy. It'll set you up with an account, which will net you a free 30 days in FFXI.

http://na.square-enix.com/ffxi/starterpack/

You get to pick from one of five races, one of six starting jobs, pick a server, then choose one of three starting nations to call your home. Fourteen additional jobs can be unlocked at level 30, and you have the option to switch to and from any job whenever you'd like, provided you're in your mog house.

FFXI has a reputation for being a cruel, punishing game run by a company who is sustained by the tears of their customers. These rumors are largely exaggerated, and...

DeathPile.png

ok, maybe it's a little tougher than some other MMOs you've played, but this isn't the place to debate that. The game is largely based around team play, so make sure to team up with people you like often. There are, however, more and more activities (such as the new Campaign system) being introduced that are based around small group play. SE has been good lately about listening to players' suggestions to improve the game.

Useful links now made slightly redundant thanks to Smashism

These sites will help. Go here first if you have a question, a lot of basic (and advanced) info is out there for the taking, just look for it. Of course, ask away in this thread if you can't find an answer from these links.

FFXI Auction House Database
An online AH that lets you check prices and trends from any AH on any server from your browser.

FFXI Wikia
FFXI's Wiki. Just about everything you could possibly look up is in this Wiki.

BG FFXI Wiki
Another FFXI Wiki just in case the other one doesn't have what you're looking for.

Vana'diel Atlas
A site with all the maps and related information in the game. Useful if you're ever lost, or wondering what kind of treasure you can find in a zone.

Vana'diel Bestiary
Excellent source for finding out what monsters exist where; also a handy tool for deciding where to take your party to XP.

Sweet, so all you PA guys are on the same server, right? Let me in your guild!

Sorry, that's wrong. All the PA players are spread across multiple servers and there's no linkshell (guild), offical or unofficial, for PA adventurers. We do, however, have a list of current FFXI players that post here. All the cool* kids seem to be on Carbuncle. They're all even in the same linkshell! Probably a good idea to choose Carbuncle if you're just starting.

*active

(Server)

(PA forum name) - (FFXI character name)

Asura
Skullie - Skullie
SkannerJAT - Ramiah
SNES - Arkm
Bama - Dael
Grundlestiltskin - Treva
Kyanilis - Kyanilis
Varega - Varega
scygen - Scygen(?)
fightstrife - Paige
king awesome - Emol

Bahamut
Ultravisitor - Dose
Arcibi - Arcibi

Carbuncle
The Dude With Herpes - Kingshand
Just_Bri_Thanks - Bri
Xhero - Ormi
Pb - Ancalaehte
Smashism - Samash
Trevor Goodchild - Loras
ins0mniac - Dimen
Xanarios - Rikiru
Koopa_Paratroopa - Maus
Demitri Omni - Demitrion
RawrBear - Littlebear
RooX - Lumir
Dyvion - Dyvion

Diabolos
WillisIVIIX - Gynin

Kujata
Murphy - Murphie

Lakshmi
EricKei - Erickei (Hiatus)

Midgardsormr
Professor Snugglesworth - Jorginus
Stryker43 - Caldyen
ProfMoriarty - Ocilus

Pandemonium
seabass - Bassiwassi

Phoenix
Evil_Pig - Karli
GrinninBarrett - Ishmael

Quetzalcoatl
neville - Neville

Ragnarok
UltraMantisBlack - Ultramantis

Remora
Tcheldor - Tortalius
Freebytes - Freebytes
mystic_knight - Everitt
Xhaztol - Xhaztol
Aoi - Squidge

Shiva
The Laughing Man - Stompy

PM me or post in the thread if anything in the OP needs to be changed.
Thanks for the FAQ, Smashism, and anyone who contributed to it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrinninBarrett on

• Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nice first post. I like it!

Murphy on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It should be noted this expansion breaks the team play mold this game has been bound to for five years by being focused around content designed for small groups (Even Dancer is created created with this design philosophy in mind) not to mention solo content, largely in the form of campaign. Also, no exp loss upon death, mother fuckers(in Campaign.)

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah but what high level do you have to be to even participate in any of it?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2007
    You don't, it's starting at low levels.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »
    It should be noted this expansion breaks the team play mold this game has been bound to for five years by being focused around content designed for small groups (Even Dancer is created created with this design philosophy in mind) not to mention solo content, largely in the form of campaign. Also, no exp loss upon death, mother fuckers(in Campaign.)

No XP loss will be incredibly awesome. Added the bit about small groups in DNC and Campaign underneath the death pile pic.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm a fucking DRG/BLU 75, you don't have to tell me. I will leave all you fuckers in the dust as soon as my free copy gets here. (I got the job in that other thread.)

...(And I fucking earned it, fuck Tabula Rasa.)

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    sup Cait Sith
    CaitSith.png

Eldieme without gross piles of bones everywhere!
    EldiemeS.png

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I need to know something you guys probably know best.

Out of the 6 new FFXI products available....

Wings of Goddess for PS2 / 360 / PC

and new all expansions included Vana'Diel Collection 2008 for the same 3 platforms...

do ANY of them come packaged in paper in any way? Either a paper slip over a DVD case, or in a paper box?

I need to know so I can grab those one now before they sustain weeks of shelf life and wear. The others if just in plastic I can get much much later.

Please lemme know. Thanks!

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The PS2 and 360 versions likely won't, because those games always come in hard plastic. The PC Vanadiel Collections come in Cardboard, if I recall. I have no idea about the new expansion. TOAU came in a hard case, but that may have been a one time thing.

If you don't mind my asking, why does it matter if they sustain "weeks of shelf life and wear"? If they are just sitting there, they aren't going to sustain that much wear and tear. And it's just a game box for a semi-popular MMO.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I recently bought the 2007 collection and no, it doesn't come in a box, it has a plastic shell case.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Its calls me...like a drug...I can almost taste the glass pipe against my lips. I haven't played in almost a year but now since I no longer am working it's tempting me to play again. Only one thing stops me, maybe its fixed by now.

I have two accounts with two characters. I want to take one of those characters and link it to my other account. Have they made this possible yet?

King Kong on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I recently bought the 2007 collection and no, it doesn't come in a box, it has a plastic shell case.
    Well, I didn't state it definitively.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    The PS2 and 360 versions likely won't, because those games always come in hard plastic. The PC Vanadiel Collections come in Cardboard, if I recall. I have no idea about the new expansion. TOAU came in a hard case, but that may have been a one time thing.

If you don't mind my asking, why does it matter if they sustain "weeks of shelf life and wear"? If they are just sitting there, they aren't going to sustain that much wear and tear. And it's just a game box for a semi-popular MMO.

Not always. The original 360 release had a paper slip around the dvd case.

Some of the PC releases have been all paper boxes, some dvd case with paper slip around it, maybe others just dvd case.

Because I'm a collector and already want mint condition games, but FF in particular is the series I go to the greatest lengths for, and so I must purchase it as soon as possible so it has the fewest finger prints or rounded corners or whitened edges or dents etc.

I already have the '07 collection. Wondering about the brand new '08 ones.

I can confirm 360 expansion and '08 collection both did not have paper packaging at all.

I still need to know about PS2 WotG expansion and '08, and both for PC as well.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    08' for the PC isn't out yet, and won't be soon.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't anticipate seeing anything before the end of the year in that department (mind you, that's only a few weeks, but still). Probably late first quarter '08, or something like that.

edit:

So I don't think I'm going to buy the expansion. I worry that I'd just be throwing good money after bad, as I'm barely playing now as it is. There's little point to buying more content that I'll barely touch before losing interest again. It's a shame, because I really do like this game, but right now it's just too much of a time investment for me.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    08' for the PC isn't out yet, and won't be soon.

Oh you're right I see.

Ok so the new expansion for PS2 and PC and the 2008 collection for PS2

Anybody know? Any paper slips or paper boxes?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    COntinuing a conversation I Forgot to pick up on in the last thread...
    Coldbrand wrote:
    It sounds to me like you're an awful player honestly. Four or five times? Christ.

I'm definitely not a particularly good online gamer. That wasn't really the biggest part of it, though. I got over that little de-levelling hurdle after I finally started to be a bit more cautious in approaching monsters. I tend to die more times in a game than I really should, before I start figuring out a solution. =P

Either way, potentially losing a level by dying really does just seem like a very harsh mechanic to include in the game. I can understand losing experience and having to make up for whatever you've gained in the meantime, but straight-up level loss is pretty harsh.

With that aside, there's plenty that I enjoy about the game. I love the overall presentation of the game's story. Even if it's (reallly) begun to show it's age, it still has a good look to it, I love the lit up sceneries, and the design of the towns. It's pretty well done. The class system is pretty cool too, and I do enjoy the spell and attack graphics. It was all good fun once I got into the swing of things.

It's just a little too social. It's great for a game to provide challenging and creative ways to encourage people to play as groups, but I usually prefer solo play over groups. Knowing that the game would require a party for doing any levelling at all further down the line, I can safely say I'd have lost interest in the title long before reaching 75.

I'm many things, but a patient gamer isn't one of them.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Stuck at 50, stuck at 50, wheeee.

At least I have subjobs to level and money to farm, but I'd like to be able to advance my profession of choice. Unfortunately I'm having issues getting invites, and Gustav Tunnels (where you might solo pets at might level) has more people camping in it than I care to count.
    *Sigh*

I'm gonna play something else for a while.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    King Kong wrote: »
    Its calls me...like a drug...I can almost taste the glass pipe against my lips. I haven't played in almost a year but now since I no longer am working it's tempting me to play again. Only one thing stops me, maybe its fixed by now.

I have two accounts with two characters. I want to take one of those characters and link it to my other account. Have they made this possible yet?

I'm pretty sure you can't combine accounts, no.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, are you able to transfer to different servers now?

Pb on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    So, are you able to transfer to different servers now?

Yeah, it'll cost you 20-25 bucks to do it, though.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm. HMMMM.

I'll have to ruminate on this.

Pb on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    I need to know something you guys probably know best.

Out of the 6 new FFXI products available....

Wings of Goddess for PS2 / 360 / PC

and new all expansions included Vana'Diel Collection 2008 for the same 3 platforms...

do ANY of them come packaged in paper in any way? Either a paper slip over a DVD case, or in a paper box?

I need to know so I can grab those one now before they sustain weeks of shelf life and wear. The others if just in plastic I can get much much later.

Please lemme know. Thanks!

Several come in a cardboard box that contains a hard plastic CD/DVD case. (Wings of the Goddess is on e of these.) None have the CDs themselves in paper, except for the trial CD which is in cardboard.

Edit: Why the hell can't I connect to the service and support servers? I want to register this freakin' expansion!

Further Edit: Gee Square, thanks for having your equipment in good enough shape to handle the expansion.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Again, I'm talking about the product box, not what the cd's are in.

So far 2/5 are not paper box or paper sleeved dvd case. I'm guessing more than likey WoG PS2 is not either.

That leaves Vana'Diel 2008 and WoG PC for someone to find out for me. PC could go either way. PS2 I'd guess again its just a dvd case, no paper sleeve.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This may seem like an odd suggestion, but how about going to the store to find out for yourself?

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    This may seem like an odd suggestion, but how about going to the store to find out for yourself?

I have, that's how I found out about 360 WoG and Vana'Diel 08. But they didnt and still dont have the others in stores around here.

If someone else had seen one thats all I'm asking for. I'm not suggesting anybody go out and look FOR me.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Hmmm. HMMMM.

I'll have to ruminate on this.

There's no REAL point to doing it unless you're moving to Hades.

< Welcome to Hades! >

e: or joining a friend (if you have absolutely no friends on your current world [weirdo])

Xhero on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

So far 2/5 are not paper box or paper sleeved dvd case. I'm guessing more than likey WoG PS2 is not either.

That leaves Vana'Diel 2008 and WoG PC for someone to find out for me. PC could go either way. PS2 I'd guess again its just a dvd case, no paper sleeve.

Uhm ... if you don't mind me asking ... is there a reason for this DVD case or cardboard box thing? You seem oddly obsessive about it.

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn, Dancer is fun.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    NAND NOR wrote: »

Uhm ... if you don't mind me asking ... is there a reason for this DVD case or cardboard box thing? You seem oddly obsessive about it.

Again (I just said this), I collect some games, and FF is the series I take the most seriously re: collecting. The longer the games are on the shelf, the harder it is to find really mint copies because of all the handling and stuff they've gone through in the meantime. Right from shipping box into my hands is the most ideal. For other titles I dont really give a shit.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So wouldn't it make sense to just order them now to ensure that you can get the newest possible copy?

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If I had excessive amount of money I would. As it stands, I do not, and so I can afford to wait on ones that come in 'just' dvd cases. As there's not much that happens to those with time.

For that matter, both PS2 titles are DVD case only.

That leaves just one possibility - PC WoG expansion. Anyone know?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Paper wrapped around shell.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, expansion is registered, and new jobs are unlocked.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Paper wrapped around shell.

Merci, I think ToAU expansion for PC was the same. I'll go pick it up as soon as I find somewhere with it in stock.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

er, dancer and scholar just unlock? No quest or anything?

EDIT: what is the thread title reference to?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    guruslothgurusloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

er, dancer and scholar just unlock? No quest or anything?

EDIT: what is the thread title reference to?

Back to the Future perhaps?

gurusloth on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    meh, poorly executed. I'll give it a 5 for effort.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    meh, poorly executed. I'll give it a 5 for effort.

Hey now, I spent a whole 30 seconds thinking up a time related reference for a time traveling expansion
    So I'll take a 5 :^:

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm considering coming back although I don't know if I really want to after losing 7.5mil give or take from getting my account hacked by an LS member, sold everything while I was away for a holiday, and he didn't even bother keeping it hidden from the rest of the LS. Hell I'm not even sure if my account isn't banned from him making the transaction to IGE.

I wasn't too crazy about my server so I'm cool with jumping servers and possibly starting clean (might do me some good), so anyways, anything in the past worth doing mid-level or is it like ToAU where pretty much everything is end-game? I've read some things about campaign and apparently some things are still bugged, the Necropolis I hear just won't stop getting onslaughted. But it's "almost solo" content, and from other reports you can engage kill a mob head back to the NPC and get the max rewards, and go back in and do it again? Hell even deaths reward you with XP and ANs? A BRD said he went in with Hymnus dropped some debuffs and got killed, reraised talked to npc and got like 300 XP and 1xx ANs.

If it's end-game onry I don't think it'll do me too much good since LFP is something that has driven me away from the game off and on even while being uber equipped and knowledgable of the game, sitting for 3+ hours LFP while trying to do some crafting/farming really gets lack luster after awhile.

WillisIVIIX on
This discussion has been closed.